Zocalo Back Bay
35 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Zocalo Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zocalobackbay.com/
- Phone: 6174567849x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jaime Castillo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Cross Street: between Berkeley Street and Clarendon Street at the corner of Cahners Place
- Public Transit: Orange Line to Back Bay Station
Green Line to Copley Station or Arlington Station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking & Parking Garage at 100 Clarendon Street, Boston, MA. Nightly Rate: 5 pm- 7 am $10, Daily Rate: 2 hours or less $18
A word from Zocalo Back Bay
Contemporary Mexican cuisine based on traditional culinary recipes. The outstanding food, impeccable service & vibrant decor offers an unforgettable experience for all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zocalo Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (39)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (23)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (12)romantic (9)special occasion (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Refined but a bit overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2013Good Margaritas. Carne Asada, Tacos and Ceviche were all excellent. However, they should ship over the hand-made corn tortillas from their friends at Ole in Cambridge -- makes a huge difference. Enchiladas de Pollo was the big disappointment. Sauce was way too sweet and the dish is overpriced at $18 (although I think the least expensive entree on the menu). For persecutive, Rick Bayless' place in L.A., Red O, sells the same dish for $17 and it's sublime (Red O is also way more upscale in general and Bayless is a "celebrity" chef).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I brought my boyfriend herealimicDined on 11/2/2013I brought my boyfriend here on a date night/celebratory dinner. He is originally from Southern Cali and of course loves his mexican food. We both were very impressed by the food. The tableside guacamole was amazing and the salsa was so good we took two containters to go. No complaints over the main dishes either and of course the margaritas went down smooth. I would definately recommend this place to anyone looking for a mexican dish. I can't wait until we visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good mexican food, nice margaritasworldfoodie711Dined on 10/18/2013its a lively spot with good food and nice margaritas. my dining partner had the special of the day - a delicious cod fish with mexican flavors, mashed sweet potatoes and spinach. The seasoning and toppings on the fish were delicious. I went for the tuna ceviche and beef tacos. The ceviche was good with a nice blend of flavors overall, but a bit over powering on the spiciness. Still good but could have been better. The beef tacos were perfect size and flavor - the slaw and other condiments were wonderful. Lastly the dessert of mexican bread putting with cinnamon ice cream was the perfect ending to a great dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was visiting my daughterPanther2Dined on 10/12/2013I was visiting my daughter at school in Boston and we went to Zocalo. We were greeted right away and taken to out table. The Waiter was very attentive, food was great and we really enjoyed it. My daughter is planning to go back soon with her friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuffRumRunnerDined on 10/10/2013I loved the food! The atmosphere was fun, though it was a little loud. The staff was great! I would definitely recommend this place and will head back there when next in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique take on MexicanMaxxie5Dined on 9/19/2013Heard about this place on TV Diner. Great place to eat outside, drinks were very good. Had the jalapeno infused margarita. Yummy. Guacamole was very good along with the salsa. Had a great spice to it. Menu wasn't your typical tex mex. The Chipotle chicken dish was a delicious blend of spice and flavor. Would go again for sure!Special Features:
- Fit the billOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2013My father was coming into the city for dinner, he has pretty simple taste, chiken parm and fish & chips kinda guy...and it can be hard to find something in the city that fits that bill. He loves Mexican. This worked perfectly and we had a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Were seated downstairs soOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2013Were seated downstairs so it was pretty quiet. Great food and atmosphere! I would definitely recommend it to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceLoveEnchiladasDined on 9/2/2013I love the chicken enchiladas at this place. Excellent margaritas, unlimited chips and salsa and outdoor seating, how can you go wrong?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole!Sunchris80Dined on 8/22/2013Great food and excellent service. The staff went above and beyond to please. If you like guacamole this is the place to be. I nice little hidden gem. The meals were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2013As a SoCal transplant, I'm always looking for decent Mexican food in the Boston area. Zocalo was a nice find. Tasty tacos and chicken enchiladas and great margaritas. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Very good food, a little priceyfosterDined on 8/18/2013Very good food, a little pricey all things considered,Special Features:
- We both enjoyed our experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2013We both enjoyed our experience. The food was very good, service was solid and the atmosphere comfortable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKAshtoniteDined on 8/16/2013Having a Condo in Scottsdale and eating a lot of Spanish and Mexican food... I had high expectations for this place. The YELP reviews were good... a lot of people loved the Guacamole.... " I did not" It was very bland, too much lemon and not unique at all. 1) Tostadas had good flavor... but very messy to eat, not a well executed dish. After 2 bite it looks like garbage on a plate. 2) Noise level was horrible... had a very hard time talking to my date. Would not recommend for a first date. 3) No local draft beers... or draft beer at all that I could see. Strange to be in Boston with no Blue Moon or Sam Adams on draft :) It was just OK...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden gemekfcheungDined on 8/12/2013This was my first time at this restaurant. I had noticed a few other restaurants on the street, but it always seemed like this quiet tucked away corner. I was happy to finally give it a try and the place was great. The food was excellent, the service was amazing and the weather was great so we sat outside. Great a dining experience all in all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME GIRLS NIGHT OUTjayeDined on 8/7/2013The gucamole was so ridiculously good its not funny. The margaritas were also amazing - i'd recommend the hibiscus ; its very sweet.. Had a great time from check in to check out !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - too loudTKPVDined on 8/5/2013As with our past experiences with Zocalo, the food was excellent. Everyone (6) enjoyed their entrees and, as always, we found it to be good food that happened to have a Mexican origin/flair, rather than being stock Mexican. However, the evening was made less than pleasant by overly loud music played over the sound system. We found it necessary to shout across the table to be heard even though the restaurant was only about 50% occupied (it was late on a Monday evening). We couldn't seem to impress upon the saff that it was too loud. While it won't prevent us from coming back, we will definitely discuss with the staff on the way in the next time to make sure we won't have to shout again.Special Features:
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2013The food was very good and sevice started out great but then a larger table took more attention and we were forgotten about. Shouldn't happen as much as it does. On to the next.Special Features:
- Awesome new managementXavierDined on 7/20/2013It had been a while since I had been to Zocalo and I was happy to see that: 1. the food was still as good- if not better, and 2. the new management is solid. It was a pleasure meeting Alan and enjoying the mango infused shots. And if you enjoy cocktails as much as every American, try out the Cilantro Lime Martini...it is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2013The food is amazing & the guacamole is to die for. Margaritas are delicious! We came early for our reservation to grab a drink & catch up. They were so accommodating and made sure we were comfortable at the bar & even offered up the downstairs. Service was impeccable & we had such a fun night.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2013Zocalo is a little hidden from the main street but worth the search! My boyfriend and I went here on a Sunday night and it was amazing. The food was great and service fantastic. Outdoor seating isn't very scenic but a nice option on beautiful days. I will definitely go here again and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- fresh foodJennDined on 7/7/2013food was fresh, homemade and abundant. apptz quesadillas very tasty. fish tacos needed a little more kick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!KMHFFEMTDined on 7/5/2013This was our second visit and we bought 4 additional people with. From start to finish it was outstanding. We all enjoyed the amazing appetizers, fresh guacamole, tuna ceviche and the flautas. Their cocktails were light and refreshing especially when it was 90+ outside. The cilantro, lime, ginger cocktail was my favorite. The cozy little area outside with the lights is relaxing and there was not much traffic, so quiet. I chose the Baja style shrimp tacos as dinner, awesome as ever. All my other diners raved about the food. Will be back again with more friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food, poor servicebackbayfanDined on 7/2/2013It took forever to place our order. Also took awhile to get some salt. Also took awhile to get our check. Which is funny because our plates were cleared before we even finished. It was a 2-person dinner with guac, some apps, and a drink...on a Tuesday...and it took a little over 2 hours. So if you have time to kill and you're not on an awkward first date, I would recommend it. If only for the free chips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent waitress.BackBayRobDined on 7/1/2013The artwork in this place is really nice. The front wall opens up to the outside so it feels like an outdoor cafe even though we were sitting inside on a rainy evening. Waitress was excellent. I had the salad, which was superb, and I am pretty picky about salads. Also had the excellent chicken flautas. There are expensive things on the menu but there are also cheap ones, such as the $4 Tecate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Margaritas and Guac!LaneDined on 6/28/2013I go to Zocalo quite a bit. The first time I went I sat at the bar where they had two amazing bartenders who did a phenomenal job. The next couple times I went, I also had great food with great service. The last couple times I've gone, I've had the same waiter who leaves a lot to be desired. He isn't very attentive, seems annoyed to be taking your order, and is terrible at checking in to make sure you are set with everything. It's unfortunate because he always seems to be working outside which is where I'd prefer to be when it's so nice out! So I definitely think it's worth going, but would stick to sitting inside or at the bar!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table for 2 (or more)OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2013Most times if I want to go out with my husband, I can choose between romantic and trendy. The vibe of Zocalo is a hybrid. While we sat at a table and felt like we had the privacy of a romantic restaurant, there was bustling all around us. Our waiter was kind and attentive, but not obtrusive. The food was full of flavor, color and variety. I will go back with a large party.Special Features:
- So much fun!ColleenHDined on 6/21/2013We had a great time celebrating our friend's birthday! The waitor, Javier, was fun and energetic - definitely made our night!! Great food, AMAZING SANGRIA, great time!Special Features:
- Good food bad drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2013Loved the fresh made guacamole and everything we ordered was equally good. However, my drink was terrible. You could tell by the presentation it was sloppy. Only half salted lip of the glass, way too strong and served in the wrong type of glass. I should have sent it back.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesTylerDined on 6/11/2013The food is AWLAYS amazing. The service and can be moderate at best. The waiters are all very nice but they are slow and dont check up on the table for drink refills ect. We were a large group on the tuesday night, the place was very slow and our waitress was very busy flirting with another waiter....but she was sweet. LOVE the drinks and the FOOD! Definitely go, just keep on top of the waiters...Special Features:
- Amazing service, amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2013The best guacamole I've ever had -- and the rest of the food was equally excellent, as was the service. Top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free OptionsJessicaDDined on 6/4/2013We loved that almost everything on the Menu was Gluten Free! The food was fresh, flavorful and delicious and our server was great!Special Features:
- Delicious, Fresh, Food with FlairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2013This restaurant caters to our office for lunch often and I have always enjoyed the food. I had an early dinner (5pm) at Zocalo this Saturday and everything was delicious from the fresh made guacamole served in a molcajate to ceviche to chili relleno. This is upscale food with lots of flavor. I'll definitely return to sample more of the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy mexican in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/26/2013I truly enjoyed my experience at Zocalo Boston. It is in a great part of the South End of Boston yet on a quiet street. The food is delicious. I did not feel full after I finished which is a pleasure.Mexican food can sometimes leave you sluggish and it did not. It was just right. My only complaint is staff. The waitress was very nice but it seemed to be to busy for her to handle. I believe they may not have had enough waiters/waitresses on that evening and it was a suprise being on a holiday weekend. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who would love Mexican food in the Southend of Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Find...RecommendedJoelDined on 5/25/2013We were looking for a Mexican restaurant in Boston for a family event and came across Zacalo. We had a wonderful time in every respect. Food was wonderful, unique, well prepared and well presented. We had a reservation and the restaurant was ready for us when we arrived. Service was first rate. Value was excellent. We will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the guacamole!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2013The food was great, but the guacamole was amazing! Cute place, really nice patio space, very helpful staff.Special Features:
- Great food with high noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2013We really enjoy Zocalo. We have eaten there several times before seeing a production at a nearby theater. This time the food was up to its usual excellent level, but the feeling that spring is in the air apparently brought people out earlier than usual and amped up the noise level so that it was hard to carry on a conversation. Nonetheless, we will return in the future.Special Features:
- This was probably our seventhOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2013This was probably our seventh time dining here and it hasn't disappointed yet! The food was excellent as usual and the service was great thought they were quite busy. Might suggest reservations if you're planning on dining after 6:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!ChrisDined on 5/13/2013Great food at Zocalo. Guacamole is terrific as well as the drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not prepared on Mother's DayUnsatisfiedCustomerDined on 5/12/2013I took my wife and 18 month old son to Zocalo for Mother's Day brunch. The promise of a three course fixed price menu plus music was enough to entice me to try out a new restaurant. When we arrived the hostess took 10 minutes to find a high chair for my son. After being seated the waitress did not know there was a special menu for Mother's Day. She returned to tell me that the owner was on his way to the restaurant and would print out the menus when he arrived. 20 minutes later we saw the Mother's Day menu for the first time - by the time our food arrived, my wife and I were doing shifts outside with our son such that we couldn't enjoy our meal together. Thankfully the music arrived toward the end of our visit.Special Features: