Zocalo Back Bay
35 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Zocalo Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zocalobackbay.com/
- Phone: 6174567849x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jaime Castillo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Cross Street: between Berkeley Street and Clarendon Street at the corner of Cahners Place
- Public Transit: Orange Line to Back Bay Station
Green Line to Copley Station or Arlington Station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking & Parking Garage at 100 Clarendon Street, Boston, MA. Nightly Rate: 5 pm- 7 am $10, Daily Rate: 2 hours or less $18
A word from Zocalo Back Bay
Contemporary Mexican cuisine based on traditional culinary recipes. The outstanding food, impeccable service & vibrant decor offers an unforgettable experience for all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zocalo Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (37)good for groups (36)neighborhood gem (35)hot spot (21)fit for foodies (19)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (13)romantic (11)great for brunch (9)late-night find (7)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fun TimesbrunchbonanzaDined on 5/31/2014Went to brunch with a colleague and partook in the two hour mimosa brunch. Great drinks, great service! We enjoyed our time there so much that we ended up staying longer than two hours, trying different drinks. It was a beautiful day and Zocala has outdoor seating so we were able to enjoy the weather. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Good EatsbmilDined on 5/26/2014My favorite Mexican joint in Boston. Great chips, salsa, and tacos.Special Features:
- Great experiencefoodieDined on 5/24/2014Great experience with the 2 hour mimosa brunch. Wonderful staff, great food, and delicious drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingkristin12345Dined on 5/18/2014Nothing better than a breakfast burrito and bottomless mimosas. Seriously amazing. Perfect sunday funday.Special Features:
- Delicious take on Mexican cuisineFlarghDined on 5/16/2014No simple taco shop here. Zocalo has an imaginative and delicious menu with old standbys and new cuisine. They also have a robust gluten free menu for those who are concerned. They make guacamole for you on the spot and it's delicious. Their bar is well stocked with tequilas and they have a great cocktail list.Special Features:
- Tasty and ClassyMowilzzDined on 5/15/2014This restaurant is delicious! It's a little expensive so make sure to go for their lunch menu, which is considerably less expensive ;) Went for my best friend's 21st Birthday and the drink selections were impeccable. The salads were HUGE, guac was fresh and delish (although pretty expensive, it was handmade fresh on the spot). When you first look at your your plate you might think, "I want more food," but it's actually SUPER filling. The ingredients are fresh, yummy, and hit the spot perfectly. They even provided a complimentary mini dessert for her birthday with a cute candle! Would definitely recommend for my next event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014great guacamole- margaritas-outside on a perfect night- what could be better?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/5/2014Excellent food. I had the mariscada and it was delicious. The guacamole was outstanding and my companions all enjoyed their entrees. Of course, since it was Cinco de Mayo, the noise was almost overwhelming but the maitre'd sat us by a door so we could hear one another. Very accomodating.Special Features:
- brunch at zocaloFoodieTexaninBostonDined on 5/4/2014I had such a fun time with my group at this restaurant! The food was amazing...the mimosas were practically bottomless...and the music was engaging! I love discovering new places in Boston and I'm glad that I found this one! Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Delayed but well cared for!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/3/2014We were disappointed that our table wasn't ready when we arrived but it was nice that the manager acknowledged the delay and took care of us. Great night and always great food!Special Features:
- Okay food, bad service, bad barDkpool142Dined on 5/3/2014We were seated after about a ten minute wait which was fine because it was a busy Saturday night. Once we were seated it became a checklist of terrible service: 15 minute wait for a waiter, bar had no knowledge of standard cocktails, slow water refills. The most annoying was it was clear they were not ready to start serving us any apps, table chips, or water until about half an hour when more people were seated around us. So we literally waited 30 minutes at our table and had nothing in that time frame. We usually will leave or grab the manager but the waiter apologized each time and we were resigned that switching restaurants on a sat night would be crowded everywhere. When we did eat dishes were mostly good. Will not return.
- Awesome Brunch Spot!rachcapDined on 4/27/2014I went here with 3 other people for the bubbly brunch and it was definitely worth it. Only 3 of us went off of the bubbly menu, and we got through 3 carafes of champagne drinks. The chicken enchiladas with the ranchero sauce were delicious! It came with great home fries and black beans as well. Ask for a side of habanero sauce for the potatoes! We also started with their guacamole which was creamy and flavorful, but not over garlic-y. Everyone else loved their dishes- a torta, french toast, and the breakfast burrito. Their salsa that they bring to the table is SO GOOD and really different than other restaurants. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Good Mexican Food in Boston!seekingvegetariansDined on 4/27/2014We had a fun Sunday Brunch at Zocalo. It's hidden away so use your GPS. Make reservations first! It's one big loud room though, hard to have conversation. The food was great. The Bloody Mary didn't pack any punch but very spicy. Nice wait staff, efficient. Interesting, eclectic decor. We'd go again but hope for a quieter time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeChristinaDDined on 4/26/2014Had a good time, food was good. I am a vegetarian so I appreciated the entrees that were marked vegetarian friendly. Server was sweet, he just didn't pay enough attention. Took awhile for drinks and to order. Had to get his attention a few times to fill waters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014The drinks were great. Got Midori margaritas. Made awesome! Our wait staff was very friendly. The food was also Great. I've been there before and it's so tasty. Got the queso fundido with chorizo. Scrumptious!! Got insalata Mexicana salad with grilled chicken. Was cooked nicely. Really fresh and great dressing. Can't wait to go back. Just wish it wasn't so loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lo21Dined on 4/20/2014This was a great brunch spot! I would definitely recommend the Mimosa Brunch - great food and awesome flavors of mimosas for such a great price!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2014Best Mexican food in Boston. Friendly and efficient service. On the noisy side.Special Features:
- Loved it!Diningout14VIPDined on 4/13/2014I was so impressed with this restaurant from the moment I walked through the door and was greeted by the bubbly warm hostess. We had a nice cozy table and the waitor Eugene was very attentive. He seemed to sincerely care about us and his job. The food was delicious in every way!Special Features:
- Good food, weak service.BackBayRobDined on 4/13/2014I had the salad and the tortilla soup. Both were excellent. Service was rather inattentive. We had our family of five at the table and the music was so loud it was almost impossible to hear each other talking. It is a good restaurant with a funky atmosphere, but my kids don't want to go back there any more.
- When slow service ruins good foodNY4nowVIPDined on 4/12/2014We went on a Saturday early evening and while the restaurant was 3/4 full, it was extremely loud and the service was glacial. The main dishes were excellent, but arrived cold. Cold Mexican food = congealed, so it is not a cuisine that takes to room temperature delivery very well. We were convinced that the problem was with the service. It took an hour for the food to come out and then the appetizer came with the main dishes. We are not sure it's worth another try.
- Great dinner! The food wasanonymousDined on 3/28/2014Great dinner! The food was delicious and the staff very attentive. Yummy drinks as well. No complaints!Special Features:
- absolutekarmatimMDined on 3/27/2014This place is great. I have been 2x was great both time. Waiter was very attentive but not over whelming. I would like to see a fajitas menu with no peppers maybe other options. I guess I will have to try other items to see what else I may like. The pork chop my friend had for his birthday dinner was dry- I would have sent it back. Other wise was very good dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adequate food, huge margaritasDisappointedDined on 3/27/2014Adequate food but nothing special. Huge (good) margaritas. But very noisy the day I was there (huge groups of people). Was hoping for a Mexican gem like Sol Azteca, but this wasn't it.Special Features:
- Don't go for the food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/25/2014Went here for restaurant week and the place was decent, nice crowd, great drinks. But the food was tasteless... Not what I expected at all from a Mexican restaurant. None of us (six total) were impressed by the food.Special Features:
- Amazing Dinner!divinemissm17VIPDined on 3/21/2014I took my my sister and her husband here for his birthday and the food was amazing. Our waiter was attentive and very pleasant. Will definitely be back in the warmer weather for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Guac!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2014We tried Zocalo for lunch on a recent visit to Boston. It's a hidden gem. Amazing guacamole started our meal, great menu, and friendly service. Don't hesitate to stop by!Special Features:
- Unique Up-scale Mexican ExperienceMakeupGoddess26Dined on 3/19/2014I chose this as my Restaurant Week pick with my boyfriend as it sounded like it had a very flavorful and unique menu with lots of vegetarian option for me. We both enjoyed the warm and fun atmosphere and enjoyed phenomenal free chips and very fresh salsa prior to the meal. Our food came quickly and far surpassed our expectations in taste! My boyfriend ordered a cocktail made with egg whites which was very strong and a unique flavor. We plan to come back for selections from the regular menu, including the award-winning giant stone bowls of fresh guacamole they're known for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great flavor - We will be backBretVIPDined on 3/16/2014Fish Tacos, Tamales, incredible taster profiles. Guac made tableside is a must. Sampled two desserts with Cinnamon Ice Cream and cake our to choice. They use tablets for their servers, and the meals and drinks come quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at ZocaloStephieDined on 3/15/2014I will definitely be back to try some other dishes on the menu. The guacamole was exceptionally good and I had a vegeterian in my party who was very happy with his dish. The noise level is definitely loud, but certainly manageable. The service was very good and a good time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experiencebosdiner77Dined on 3/5/2014I had such a great dining experience! My meal was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The waitress was very friendly and patient. The atmosphere was fun and lively. I will definitely be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Brunch!!DiningDivaDined on 3/1/2014We were visiting Boston for the first time and looking for a "bottomless" brunch. This was the only one we could find--they do a two hour limit, which allowed us plenty of time to enjoy ourselves. Food was delicious and the service was prompt.Special Features:
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2014We had a great meal and the manager took care of a tricky situation with aplomb. Coincidentally, my husband and the patron at the table next to us ordered the same dish and the waiter mistakenly brought it to my husband just after we ordered guacamole to start with. Although my husband didn't touch the dish, the diner next to him refused to accept the plate. The manager kindly wrapped it up for us to take home and made two new dishes. Everyone in our party loved their meals. My only criticism was that the guacamole could have been more flavorful. Perhaps a little salt would have taken care of it. I also loved the valet set-up where you text them and they have the car waiting for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little crowdedaamrDined on 2/21/2014The food and service were great, but the tables are so close together that you have to purposefully ignore the strangers at your side. I think staggering the tables would help with this. It was also pretty loud; I could barely hear our server most of the time. The churros with cinnamon ice cream were outstanding!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time with small groupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/21/2014Great find; great food and great time with a small group of friends. The restaurant is small, so it would be hard to accommodate for a large group in one table. Entrees great/generous portions, absolutely loved the portobello/chorizo small plate. The white sangria was also delicious. Will definitely come back because I had such a lovely experience. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food at moderate pricefoodVanDined on 2/15/2014Guacamole was awesome! The food overall was good, but a bit small on the portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little tight!Kp79Dined on 2/8/2014My husband and I went for a kids free night on Saturday. We had a reservation and were seated right away. Our waitress was very attentive. We started with a grilled chicken salad with chips and guac. We followed that with chicken fajitas. The food was great, but it's a tight and noisy place. It was so loud the waitress didn't even hear our order of fajitas, so there was a huge gap between our salad and dinner. The restaurant is pretty small and the tables are tiny and packed so tightly together it was hard for the staff and patrons to move around the tables and chairs without bumping into the people sitting. Overall it was good and I would recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Group DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/2014Great for group dinners, Margs and 2 dollar taco's!Special Features:
- Great food, reasonable price.BackBayRobDined on 1/25/2014We went there for Saturday dinner. Two adults, two kids. Salad was very good and tortilla soup was excellent. Gourmet Mexican.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/24/2014The food and service were excellent. Not only did the food taste great but it had a beautiful presentation on the plate. Our waiter and all the service was excellent. Our only problem was that the noise level was so loud that we four had difficulty carrying on a conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- best enchiladaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/9/2014I had the best veggie enchilada of my life there. My sister had the best chicken quesadilllas of her life. Go eat the best food of your life.Special Features: