Sam's Chowder House
4210 Cabrillo Hwy
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Sam's Chowder House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://samschowderhouse.com/
- Phone: 6507120245
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Seafood Market open Saturday and Sunday 12-8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Lewis Rossman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music Friday and Saturday nights in the fall/winter from 7-10pm inside, and also on Sunday outside from 4-8 during the summer months.
- Special Events: Five oceanfront spaces are available for corporate events, weddings, and other special events. Offering appetizer, lunch and dinner selections and special lobster clambakes. All rooms have ocean views from every seat.
A word from Sam's Chowder House
Enjoy amazing sunsets by the cozy fire, a panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean, and fresh, award-winning New England style seafood in a casual, coastside setting. Watch the crashing surf, dine outside under a cozy heat lamp, or settle into an Adirondack chair near a toasty fire pit on Sam's dog-friendly patio, complete with wind protection and heat lamps. Featured on NBC’s The Today Show, and “Best of the Bay TV”, and named “Best Outdoor Dining in the Bay Area” by San Francisco Magazine, and “Best Seafood Restaurant in San Mateo County” by San Jose Magazine readers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Sam's Chowder House - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
Sam's Chowder House reviews from OpenTable diners
257 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (217)great for outdoor dining (186)great for lunch (140)kid-friendly (102)good for groups (87)special occasion (78)neighborhood gem (74)great for brunch (63)romantic (60)fit for foodies (57)hot spot (48)vibrant bar scene (37)notable wine list (9)late-night find (7)Show More
- Beautiful view & great fresh fishRobertDined on 9/2/2014A must do for an easy lunch out south of the city. And easy drive and excellent view. Exquisite food simply prepared.Special Features:
- nice but... underwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014We had a good dining experience but for all the buzz about Sam's Chowder House we left slightly underwhelmed. The chowder is very good, the oysters/clams fresh and delicious, but everything else was good but not great. The lobster roll especially is a disappointment. True, there are large portions of lobster, but the sandwich simply did not live up to its name of the top sandwiches in America. If you need a place for an event or a view, this is a good choice. But if you just want a great bowl of chowder stick to the chowdermobile they have parked in the parking lot and avoid the wait and get right to the good stuff.Special Features:
- really crowded butaLe95014Dined on 8/31/2014It was labor day , so that explained the crowds, fortunately we had made reservations. The food was ok , it has been better. Overall a good experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingKathleenDined on 8/31/2014I have been coming to Sam's for 10+ years and this weekend was a horrible experience. We arrived at 6 (reservations are required.). The waiter took a vey long time to take our drink order, but the bus boy was prompt with the bread and butter. We ordered appetizers and dinner when we placed our food order, but everything came at once. The fries were cold and the soup was lukewarm. I had a crab salad and the lettuce was soggy. The other fish dinners were"ok" but not memorable (sole and sardines.) We waited 40 minutes for our plates to be cleared which was fine - it was nice not to be rushed. Then we asked for coffees and each of them were barely warm. Very disappointed .. No refills were ever offered.Special Features:
- Tasty food but priceyWendyMVDined on 8/30/2014We have enjoyed coming here for the view and sea food. The lobster roll sandwich was indeed delicious as advertised, but I wish there was a choice of side dishes to go with it, instead of having to pay $2 extra to substitute for the coleslaw and chips. The cioppino that my husband ordered was good but very messy since he had to crack a lot of the shellfish after they had been immersed in red sauce. I recall coming for lunch for crab and having a choice of side dished to go with our dishes; that that was a much better deal. The polenta chips, which are one of the side dishes, have a delicious creamy interior and crispy exterior. The fried artichokes were OK, but I wish there was an option for steamed.Special Features:
- good seafoodellaschrisVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great outside patio on a sunny day. The food was perfect, crab balls were not tasty, don't order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood on the coastHMBlocalVIPDined on 8/27/2014We are HMB locals and eat here often. This time was for our anniversary and they went out of their way to make it special. From the window seating overlooking the water to the excellent service and of course the great food. Certainly the place to go for a memorable experience. For us, the standout dishes are the tuna poke, seafood rissotto, king salmon and fresh peach tart. They consistently deliver delicious food. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYVisitorDined on 8/27/2014The view is spectacular. Nice menu, good service, would come often.Special Features:
- Good seafood, great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Very nice seafood, with a spectacular view of the pacific. Usually very crowded so parking is a challenge, as is getting a table, but for special events we like this place.Special Features:
- Great Experience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014Awesome experience!! The service was excellent - our waitress and bus boy were fantastic and are definite assets to the restaurant!!! Food was great!!! Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, sound meal2manyrest2littletimeDined on 8/21/2014Not spectacular, but a very solid spot just out of Half Moon Bay. Enjoyed the meal, although I think it is a better lunch option than dinner. Always busy and the reputation is good. Won't blow you away but you'll feel good about the meal and experience.Special Features:
- Skip The "Famous Lobster Roll".BeebsDined on 8/19/2014So disappointed , made a special trip to Sam's just for the lobster roll. Lobster meat tough and dry and rather bland, won't be back.
- Good Seafood JointjimofseattleVIPDined on 8/18/2014We enjoyed our meal despite a somewhat scatterbrained waitress. The Oysters Rockefeller were especially good. This is a solid, old-fashioned sea food resaurant.Special Features:
- DinnerViewGood6Dined on 8/18/2014There was six of us - we were put in an enclosed outdoor room, accoustics were horrible - we had to yell to hear each other. The waitress didnt get our order correct - dont think i will go back again with a large group. Food was just average - not as good as down the way - maybe only a few clams in the clam chowder we ALL hadSpecial Features:
- Sam was great...JeffTVIPDined on 8/18/2014Both the server and the place of business. Awesome view of the beach and very good food. The Claim chowder was very flavorful, though a bit "soupy". The Oysters Rock was good and the oysters were very large. Lobster roll was 1 1/4 of meat, and while the "dressing" of the sandwich didn't provide much flavor, the amount of lobster was great. Sam the server made our experience and was fun while also being interested in our experience.Special Features:
- Good, consistent, enjoyableBrunchloverVIPDined on 8/17/2014Always enjoy coming here. Good food (some great, like the paella and cioppino, some just okay, like the calamari and shrimp scampi). Consistent good service, great view and ambience. Perfect to bring visiting family for Bay Area seafood flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!HSsweetheartsDined on 8/14/2014The food was delicious. The service was excellent. Our waitress, Katy, acknowledged our wedding anniversary and congratulates us. She sat us at a table by the window with a perfect view of the water. We will definitely come back and refer our friends. Open table was so easy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovehmbDined on 8/14/2014Great dinner, fresh and tasty. Disappointed that blue crab sandwiches are not available for dinner as well as lunch. Attentive server too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Food was marginal at best. Waitress took our order and said enjoy your meal and she was not kidding as she never came back to check on us at all till we were 100% done and table cleaned and wanted paid.Special Features:
- Decent food with a great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/13/2014An OK experience. The beet salad was drowned in dressing. My husband really liked the sardines. Our server was spread too thin. She hustled but we still sat with empty water glasses for a while. Overall, a decent experience.Special Features:
- dinnerrickadoDined on 8/12/2014did not live up to the hype view was great food adequate but not for the best of part of 100 dollars
- Always a great time...Live2DineDined on 8/11/2014Once again enjoyed another dining out at Sam's, one of our favorite places.Special Features:
- priceChocolateDined on 8/10/2014Food was good. Prices were a little high compared with similar places. But overall we were happy with the service and the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ftrpDined on 8/9/2014Food is very good. The chef's/preps do not mask the flavor of the seafood with fillers and sauces.Special Features:
- Great views and chowderCTdinerDined on 8/9/2014Great location and chowder, unfortunately the lobster in the lobster roll did not seem fresh, perhaps even canned, very disappointing.Special Features:
- Good food, great localefamilynightDined on 8/7/2014Enjoyed the crab cakes and cioppino as well as the great view sitting in a table next to a window overlooking the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best LOBSTER ROLL, period!iCenturionVIPDined on 8/4/2014Great place to dine for lunch or dinner! Food is fresh and delicious. If you love seafood, this is the place to come! SamSpecial Features:
- Nothing else to adddaman88888Dined on 8/2/2014The food, services is top notch and I don't have anything else to add.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceRendenDined on 8/2/2014One of the best seafood restaurant we have dined at. Great oysters and clams on a half shell. You can't get any fresher than having their local which is usually the rock cod. Great menu. Will go back to taste more dishes.Special Features:
- Delicious as alwaysFlyflyflyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Another great lunch with great service and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014Have been going here for years. Always come back for more and never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halibut was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014I had the halibut for dinner. It was delicious! I would whole heartedly recommend ordering this dish. My friend ordered the battered fish and chips and loved her meal. I thought the prices were very much in line with the quality of the food. You can't beat the view and the outdoor atmosphere was awesome. Great meal - I'd definately go back again when I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood with a viewChowderheadDined on 7/31/2014My wife and I came here to celebrate our anniversary. We weren't disappointed. The clam chowder was quite good and the lobster roll was a big surprise. I mean big as in lots of lobster and soooo good! They seated us next to a window overlooking the harbor. Great view. Liked the ambiance of the restaurant. Dress is casual. Place is easy to find, right on Hwy 1. Lots of parking. Making a reservation is smart. We did and were seated right away. The one down side is that the prices were a bit on the high side. But my sweetie was worth it! I would definitely recommend Sam'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an icon at Half Moon BayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2014We always enjoy going to SAMs because we like driving down to Half Moon Bay & know there's a good restaurant there! However the portions have been getting smaller lately & the summer staff isn't as efficient with water & bread ! But overall its a great place to go for view !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best seafood in California.MikeDined on 7/28/2014We have been to Sam's many times before and it never fails. The seafood is awesome! The steak is superb, and the sides are the fresh and local. We love Sam's Chowder House!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite placechocfan5Dined on 7/27/2014We visit Sam's several times a year. We usually go for brunch and like to sit outside on the patio. The lobster roll is very good - like getting a lobster without the work! They have some great cocktails and desserts. It has become a family favorite for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!LizaDined on 7/27/2014We have loved Sam's for years but my birthday dinner there was spectacular! Rebecca was a wonderful server whose attentive (but not invasive) service and attention to every minor request made the excellent dining even more special. Keep the lobster ceviche on the menu - what a delicious entree - and the hot fudge sundae a true treat! Many heartfelt thanks! Liza & PaulSpecial Features:
- Great food. Beautiful viewTruluv1328Dined on 7/26/2014On a clear sunny day the view is beautiful and perfect for sunset watching. The lobster roll was delicious and perfectly cooked. The New England clam chowder was one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodVIPDined on 7/26/2014PARKING IS A PROBLEM, SO BE SURE TO ARRIVE EARLY !!!!!Special Features:
- A very good placelucyckDined on 7/25/2014Using Open Table we had no trouble getting seated even though it was a Friday night in late July in Half Moon Bay. The place was very crowded. I ordered the Lobster roll which was good. My husband ordered the seafood combo platter which was huge but good. We both ordered glasses of the white wine special which was a Spanish wine. It was nice, not too dry but not too fruity. I would recommend this place.Special Features: