Brasserie L'Oustau de Provence
1716 Depot Street
Manchester Center, VT 05255Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Brasserie L'Oustau de Provence
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://brasserieloustau.com/
- Phone: 8027688538x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm Thursday and Friday; Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm Saturday and Sunday; Dinner: Monday, Thursday and Friday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:00pm. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Vegetarian, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Monthly Wine Dinners pairing wines from specific regions of France during 4-courses of refined brasserie cuisine.
A word from Brasserie L'Oustau de Provence
*** Voted 5th "Best French Restaurant in the U.S." by Travel+Leisure Magazine, August 2013!*** Brasserie L'Oustau brings a new American interpretation of classic French foods served at brasseries throughout Provence, an area of southern France famous for sun-kissed produce and seafood harvested fresh from the Mediterranean.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Brasserie L'Oustau de Provence - Best Restaurants in Manchester, VT ›
Brasserie L'Oustau de Provence reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (33)notable wine list (29)romantic (27)great for outdoor dining (25)good for groups (16)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (11)scenic view (9)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- some good, some not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014The bread was warm and delicious, served with delectable butter. My salad was a delicious balance of vinaigrette, diced hard boiled egg, asparagus, and soft lettuce. I was delighted that the entree of the evening was bouillabaisse, but was sadly disappointed when it arrived. It was seafood cooked on tomato puree, not the wine and buttery broth that I am accustomed to enjoying. The creme brûlée is brilliant and not to be missed. My husband's salmon was overcooked, but steak frites and the beef bourguignon were both well received by fellow diners. Enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Terrific ExperiencekcoveyDined on 9/13/2014This was our second time here. The first time we did lunch, and this time we did dinner. It was excellent start to finish. The beef tartare was so good I had to try the tuna tartar for my entree. Even the baby carrots side dish was worth getting a second order (which I did). My husband got the short rib, which he said was beyond excellent. We also tried the oysters, which were very nice. The pear martini was a delicious cocktail as well - very refreshing and light. All in all, a very enjoyable and solid experience - cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LetdownJacques2Dined on 9/11/2014While in a lovely location with friendly and efficient service we found the food experience somewhat lacking. The French onion soup we thought was a little too sweet for our liking. My wife ordered the steak which was perfectly cooked and quite tender but again lacked seasoning. The roast duck certainly looked appetizing however was under cooked (something you would not find at a French restaurant ) It was therefore difficult to eat and not at all enjoyable. But the frites were the highlight of the meal.Special Features:
- Delicious Evening!EllenVIPDined on 9/8/2014Having enjoyed our first visit, we recently returned for a second time. We were not disappointed. The food was outstanding as were the service and ambiance. Out waiter was very helpful in suggesting various dishes that he thought we would enjoy. He was right. Our meals were delicious. This has become our new favorite restaurantSpecial Features:
- Server Ruined AnniversaryVTEatersDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I had eaten at Brasserie L'Oustau two weeks prior, and were given a gift card from our family for our 6th anniversary. We left sad, offended and rather angry at our server. Service was troublingly inconsistent, unprofessional, and extremely slow, and when I paid our check with the gift card, the server, annoyed, asked "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IS ON THE CARD?"-so I said "Yes"-she said "WELL, HOW MUCH IS ON IT?", and I said $200. When she returned, she sighed heavily and refused to let us keep our receipt which was also odd. This was made us feel terrible, as if we were thieves! When I mentioned that our experience was very poor to the woman at the podium, she said "I'm so sorry" but did not ask why. So we left, and will not return.
- Put the French in FriesSwellbelleDined on 8/30/2014The most delicious fries on this side of the Atlantic, mussels plump and superb, wait staff friendly, lovely clean rest room, owner very concerned that his patrons are satisfied, pleasing decor.Special Features:
- Wife's Birthday dinnergreatfoodloversDined on 8/27/2014This was our first time at this restaurant.The service, food, and drinks were excellent. The restaurant itself is beautiful. My wife was very pleased and now considers this restaurant one of our favorites. We will definitely be returing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, and very French.VTRoadtripperDined on 8/25/2014This pretty restaurant is in keeping with the welcomed trend of recreating the Parisian bistro experience in America. Lovely outdoor patio and a dressed up interior space. White tablecloth service, very professional wait staff. Everything on the plate was delicious, expertly prepared. We had tuna tartare, filet with Bernaise sauce, and roasted chicken au jus. One concern: the pricing reflects the fact that much of the clientele are moneyed tourists, wines have somewhat high mark-ups, but don't let this detour you.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service were wonderful! The service was efficient and very pleasant. The best restaurant in the area. NYC restaurant equivalent!Special Features:
- A Gem in the middle of Ski countryAnnelizabethDined on 8/21/2014In the middle of ski country and outdoor attractions sits a delightful quiet gem for dining. Once inside their doors you feel you have been transported back to the countryside of France. The service is excellent. Their menu choices are true to the region. The kids have a very special menu which they will be delighted with. Vegetarians are not forgotten...they too have their own special menu. Take the time to visit .. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent Dining ExperienceRonCDined on 8/13/2014The food and service was good as always. The warm french bread could be a meal in itself. I had the roasted lamb over white bean cassoule and a delicious ratatouille. The other entree, the Flat Iron Steak Frites was tough and sent it back for the Filet Mignon, which was delicious. Apologizing, the owner sent a complimentary glass of wine. In addition, he presented us with a glasses of Spanish Cava and a great Creme Brulee. This made for another wonderful evening here.Special Features:
- A fabulous FindTamrayVIPDined on 8/10/2014Everything was top notch. Ambience, food, service all aces. Every server and bus staff was energetic, cheerful, and timely in their service. Dishes prepared perfectly. Only regret was that we went on our last night on vacation and couldn't return for a secon visit. But we will. This is a class place.Special Features:
- Sure stop while visiting ManchesterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/10/2014First time there during a visit to the area, will come backSpecial Features:
- NYC French in Vt.68FulviaDined on 8/8/2014Very good French fare in Manchester Ctr. Vermont. While the name of the restaurant suggests a Southern France origine, the menu offer few if any trully Provencale dishes which is a bit disapointing. One had visions of ratatouille, bouillabaisse and anchouillade but no such offerings were available on the night we visited. The food is otherwise a cut above and prices are reasonable given the quality. Despite meticulous attention to details the decor is a bit modern/sterile but service was attentive and excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantShelly00Dined on 8/8/2014We recently spent a week in Vermont on vacation. We went to the Brasserie early in our stay and loved it so much we had to go back before we left. The service, food and atmosphere were all terrific. This is a restaurant that should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous French Find in Vermont!JSJSEGDined on 8/3/2014Brasserie L'Oustau de Provence is a restaurant you must go to. In terms of food, service, and ambiance, it ranks right up there with French Manhattan restaurants, as well as restaurants in St. Barth's! We were more than thrilled with our meal, and can't wait to go back. OMG, so good!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelDined on 7/31/2014Both times I dined at this restaurant the owner himself greeted me and showed me to my table. He must care about his clients and be proud of his restaurant. The restaurant is quite elegant; the service is good and the food is, for the mostpart, very savory. I had the venison which was very tasty and impressive. The cocktails are interesting and very well prepared. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding French bistro foodolsenDined on 7/28/2014This was our 2nd visit and we will surely come again. The restaurant serves an outstanding selection of French standards using local sourced ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceErikDined on 7/23/2014This is the best restaurant in Manchester, VT. We have now eaten here several times have always had excellent food and service.Special Features:
- True French ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014Great French classics, perfectly prepared. Service was impeccable. Quiet a find in the middle of ski country!Special Features:
- Worth a vist...BIllBDined on 7/19/2014Very thoughtful menu with plenty to cheer about. Nice, complete wine list. Great staff and management. A nice change of pace in a very competitive area. Bonne chance!!Special Features:
- Nice dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014Great dinner and service! We had the prixe fix dinner and it was outstanding love the salmon and forbidden rice. Dont forget to leave room for dessert. The Creme brûlée and pot de valrhone were delish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice in VTNokids4nowDined on 7/18/2014Everything was wonderful. The wine prices are a bit high, but great selection. Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VisitingVermontVisitingVermontDined on 7/14/2014The food was excellent, as was its service. One of our guests enjoyed halibut, which was considered super excellent. Did not expect fried potatoes. Felt fries should not be part of this level of food experience. Owner, Michel, was very attentive, as our reservation was changed several times prior to the meal.Special Features:
- Provence in VermontcjbenjVIPDined on 7/14/2014Best French bistro in the Manchester area. Four of us dined and each of us thought the meal was superb. There is an extensive wine list, wonderful service and delightful ambiance. Don't miss it.Special Features:
- Pet FriendlyRecklessDined on 7/12/2014Outdoor dining was awesome. Brunch for four was yummy and well worth it! Our puppy joined us on the outdoor seating area and was greeted with his own bowl of refreshing ice water. Food was spectacular, service was timely and informative. Compliments to the chef. I would recommend eating here for any and all occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you, Open TablevegetarianVIPDined on 7/12/2014Wonderful experience, interesting menu, terrific food, excellent service , lovely room. This is a fabulous find. It's two hours from our nearest home, but we'll be back. I searched on Open Table for a restaurant in Manchester, VT and found the Brasserie. Lucky us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Romantic EveningMeleikDined on 7/10/2014This was a perfect evening. I ordered from the price fixed menu and all courses were delicious. My husband had the halibut and it was great. We already shared a bottle of wine before dinner, so we each enjoyed a glass from their good but limited list of wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceEllenVIPDined on 7/7/2014The food was delicious. We had the three course dinner that was very reasonably priced. The portions were ample and well presented. The service was excellent. The restaurant was quite busy for a rainy Tuesday evening. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- French gem in ManchesterFoodlover14Dined on 7/6/2014What a nice find was Brasserie L'Oustau de Provence in Manchester! Remembering the venue from Lanie's for chicken and ribs, it was good to see the space transformed with a French bistro ambiance. The menu had all the favorite bistro foods, and the waitstaff was teriffic- we went two nights in a row and both nights the waitresses were well informed and very helpful and eager to please. We ordered the escargots in pastry; delicious pastry and meaty escargots in a flavorful beurre. Frisee salad with egg was delicious and tuna tartare was excellent. Onion soup was highly recommended by waitress for the hearty veal broth, which it had. Chicken was tender and nice size portion. The lemon tarte was not available but tarte tatin was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- linnysophieDined on 7/6/2014Wonderful food and service, will be back next time I visit Manchester.Special Features:
- Best Food in ManchesterOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014Dinner was excellent! All the food is the highest quality and the service is very professional!Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceJAlovetoeatDined on 7/3/2014When visiting Manchester, we always visit Brasserie L'Oustau de Provence. The food is excellent and service top rate. The owner always goes out of his way to make you feel welcome.Special Features:
- Great food, service & ambience!MelGDined on 6/20/2014First time eating here and it will now be our favorite! The atmosphere and staff are so welcoming. The Mimosa salad and Lobster salad were both so fresh and good. The flat iron steak frites and short rib boeuf bourguignon were delicious. Good wine and well made cocktails...next time we will leave room for dessert!Special Features:
- So wonderful!!!minniDined on 6/18/2014My friend and I live in Manchester and Arlington!!! We absolutely love your Restaurant!!! We treat ourselves a couple of times a year for Lunch!!!! WE LOVE EVERYTHING, the food the service and the ambiance.... So thank you , for such a great placeSpecial Features:
- Overpriced & BaddinerDined on 6/15/2014Service was terrible. Server brought the wrong drinks, was not appropriately attentive to the table, and main course arrived an hour after appetizers. One steak arrived barely cooked and cold in the middle; it seemed clear that it had not only been undercooked, but that it had been sitting for a long period of time prior to arriving at table (and was chewy and not juicy). Will never return nor recommend; absolutely awful.
- Provence in Vermont!ItalBikerDined on 6/14/2014The Brasserie L'Oustau is a real gem. Impeccable service, great food and unusual (not necessarily expensive) southern French wines. The owner clearly has communicated his high standards to the waitstaff and kitchen. As a result, your are treated to a great meal. If you've ever been to France, this will refresh your memories. If you've never been, this as close as it gets.Special Features:
- wonderfulluv2dineVIPDined on 6/14/2014We travel from Albany, NY many times just for dinner and we are never disappointed. This past Saturday on the way to dinner my wife commented how much we look forward to dinner on the way up and on the way home how much we enjoyed our meal and night out. Thank you for a lovely experience . James FairchildSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best everPediatricDined on 6/13/2014We were there for the 2nd time in two years and this place is superb The food and Servive are incredible and we can't wait to return Don't miss it but call ahead a few weeks for reservations Also very fairly priced for high quality foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lovely ambiencenewgrad2014Dined on 6/8/2014This is a lovely spot near the Green Mountains. The food was great (highly recommend the creme brûlée!) as was the ambience. We could see the sun set over the mountains, seated outside. The tables in the patio are aplenty, and there is also a fire pit for more casual dining. Very serene and peaceful, and servers were very courteous and knowledgeable. Would definitely dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.