768 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baritaliamadison.com/
- Phone: 9175466676
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Denis Franceschini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Italian back ground music during the day.
Soft and Lounge Music during the evening.
A word from Bar Italia
Very refreshing, simple and Casual but yet Elegant offering Traditional Italian Fair. Located in the middle of it all on Madison between 65 and 66 streets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bar Italia reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (21)great for lunch (17)hot spot (14)great for outdoor dining (13)late-night find (11)romantic (11)special occasion (10)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Wonderful real Italian foodfilippo47VIPDined on 11/14/2013Wonderful real Italian food as always. Good service, tables a little cramped but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindTomskiVIPDined on 11/4/2013Very nice restaurant - modern yet with a cozy feel. Love the U shape table in the back. Good / friendly service. Food was tasty and well done !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very louddacondoVIPDined on 11/3/2013very loud, can't hear anyone but the person right next to you They need to pad the wallsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great serviceJC9807Dined on 10/29/2013I came to this restaurant for the first time around two weeks ago and decided to come back this past Tuesday . Work always has me traveling and I'm lucky to have found such a fabulous spot. The food is amazing, I tried the tartufo pasta as recommended by the waiter and It was absolutely delicious. Everyone working there is very friendly and the manager ( or what I thought was the manager) was very happy to help when I asked him on recommendations for the wine. Definitely will come back again when I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very satisfied customersJessicaMartinDined on 10/20/2013A friend told me about this place so I decided to try it out. The food was outstanding, we eat artichoke salad, truffle pasta and branzino. Staff was extremely attentive and the cocktails were very pleasant. this is such a great place to come for just drinks or an amazing meal. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceantiqmeisterVIPDined on 10/13/2013Charming Italian neighborhood restaurant; very attractive interior, with great food and service. In choosing a wine, several sample tastes were offered to help in making a choice. Lunch was so good, went back that night for dinner. A++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing authentic Italian foodJC9807Dined on 10/6/2013let me begin by saying that this place is an absolute gem. The food was amazing, the service impeccable, everyone was very attentive and very knowledgeable and had no problems explaining the dish multiple times. The restaurant has a very unique atmosphere for what I'm used to in NYC restaurants and they also have an extensive wine menu. I will definitely come back and recommend to others. Definitely impressed and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasteless food and staffNYCgirlDined on 10/1/2013From the moment of our arrival, the revolving door of wait staff was rude. The lunch-portion salads were mediocre and wildly expensive, even for Madison Ave. the wine was the best part of the meal, but not worth the tab. Most of the patrons appeared to be well-heeled foreign tourists who imbibed excessively and were inconsiderate of fellow diners. The most annoying part of the experience , however, was that we never saw the same waiter twice. We were sure this accounts for the high prices as it's definitely not quality of food or service. There is a mysterious hierarchy of hostesses, managers, waiters and busboys but no one person responsible for the diner's satisfaction!Special Features:
- Always really pleasant, niceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2013Always really pleasant, nice staff, food good, very nice to have them in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a really nice, and IOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2013It's a really nice, and I always enjoy going there. It is always noisy and busy and has a good buzz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2013This was my first time here, food and service were excellent, however noise level was off the charts. It felt as if it was a neighborhood favorite and many people were regulars and didn't seem to mind. Warm and friendly staff. Pleasant decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOO LONG 2 B SEATEDSigmundFraudVIPDined on 9/6/2013I had a 7:45 pm reservation and I wasn't seated until 8:11 pm. That is much too long to wait with or without a reservation. I eat there very frequently,more for lunch than dinner but the 25 minute delay gives me pause. The food is very good and very expensive. It is very noisy. I wished I had brought my headset.Special Features:
- As I have celiac disease I´mGlutenFreeFoodieDined on 9/3/2013As I have celiac disease I´m always on the hunt for food that is just as delicious as non-allergy food is. Bar Italia was a nice Italian place with great atmosphere, nice Prosecco and a tasty pasta carbonara. I was not blown away by the dish but I was more than satisfied. Too bad they don´t serve a gluten free option to the bread regular diners receive at the beginning of the meal. The place is nice for a romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2013lovely ambiance-great management- wonderful food including the best gluten free pasta dishes ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third Time in Not a CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2013I have been to Bar Italia twice and each time it was good but on the third time is was far from it. The wait staff was awful and inattentive by getting everyone's order served to the wrong person. The appetizers were served on rather small plates and the food looked unappealing. The entrees lacked their usual professional presentation and tasted rather ordinary. We were seated in a round table for five and it was near the hidden busboy station or something and was extremely noisy and unpleasant to hear the clanging of dishes. I will not return again.
- It is a place with nice atmosphere.JunoonVIPDined on 8/18/2013It is a place with nice atmosphere. The food is all right. But the service is just not passable...!!! They should work on training their staff...!!!Special Features:
- Chef knows how to cook!ElizabethDined on 8/15/2013One of the best authentic Italian restaurants in the city, and I know Italian food. A bit too "upper east side" for my normal tastes, but that didnt distract from the classic food. Lovely interior, nice open cafe in the front, and the service was excellent. Bon appetite!Special Features:
- Great lunch!ConorVIPDined on 8/15/2013After an underwhelming lunch at a different Madison Ave venue a couple of weeks ago I was unsure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised with a perfect lunch - superb service and excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went late and it was clearNYCtravVIPDined on 8/14/2013Went late and it was clear they really didn't want a late table! A bit of attitude.Special Features:
- Happy familyPetronesDined on 8/14/2013All 6 items we ordered were outstanding! Kids were happy too. The people watching from the outdoor tables was also outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for me.McDeeDined on 8/14/2013Just too noisy, too many kids. The tables are so small. The service ? What service?Special Features:
- Great place, modernOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2013Very nice,clean place,with modern design, food was very good, but tasty potato-leek soup was too salty. Very nice,relaxing atmosphere, I enjoyed my lunch time there. Will be back with my fiancé.Special Features:
- A nice spotAmieVIPDined on 8/13/2013I liked the menu in general and will likely go back one day. I think, however, that the Restaurant Week menu is lame. I think I'm swearing off Restaurant Week altogether. Most restaurants give you B food. Might as well spend the $25 or $38 on a single dish that's of better quality.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Food DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2013All of the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and special, starting as soon as you walk in the door. The food was excellent. My husband and I had two different salads and fish for dinner. Both were superior in taste and a very nice size. We requested a fruit salad for dessert, which was not part of the restaurant week menu, and there was no problem filling our request. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UES classyKenWVIPDined on 8/5/2013We're repeat customers here and it's a consistently good experience. Good people watching and good food (though my partner was unusually a little unimpressed with her truffle pasta). My food was great though and it's a very "sceney" setting so entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality place & great decorDanielDined on 8/4/2013Nice place, all white. Decorated with taste. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the spot; one little critiqueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/28/2013Perfect upper east side nook on a lovely day. Great place to meet friends and enjoy some nibbles and more. Restaurant was very accommodating to us and owners and staff had excellent customer-focused demeanor, but there seemed to be a wait staff change (and perhaps some kitchen issues) in the middle or our dining time that left us without our first wonderful waiter and also delayed the entrees significantly. Still, will return--loved the design of the space, the menu offerings, the energy -- a good spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Finddonna1953Dined on 7/25/2013Nice little neighborhood restaurant . Great service. The food was excellent, appropriate size portions. I will definetely be back.Special Features:
- Amazing experience...an NYC gem!justjennDined on 7/24/2013My husband and I have eaten at Bar Italia multiple times, for restaurant week, brunch and just a "date night" and every visit surpasses the last! The quality of food cannot be beat! Everything is exceptionally fresh, tasty, good portions and all around amazing. The chef is superb and the menu is vast with so many options. The bar is always packed on any given evening with locals who know how amazing it is. The manager, John, is absolutely wonderful, the best manager I have ever encountered. He makes the diners feel warm and welcome and makes us each feel special we are dining there. I have lived in NYC for over 10 years and wish I had discovered Bar Italia sooner. I make it my once a week place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Italia is a fabulous restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2013Bar Italia is a fabulous restaurant on Madison Avenue! It's great for authentic Italian food and is delicious! The staff is warm, friendly and inviting.. Truly a wonderful restaurant to go anytime on the Upper East Side of NY! Great people watching place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the quality of food wasn'tDCOIDined on 7/21/2013the quality of food wasn't outstanding compare to their price and thought they're little overpriced. Otherwise, I was really happy about the great service provided by friendly staffs there, and the ambience and black/white interior of the restaurant made me just feel right to be there for Sunday brunch with my good friend! I recommend pasta menu.Special Features:
- Nice, buy too crowdedCleriaDined on 7/19/2013It's a nice restaurant, good food. The thing is: it is a small restaurant... People sit too close from one another. If you can handle that, it is your place.
- BeautifulPastapickerDined on 7/19/2013Very pretty restaurant on Madison Ave . The pasta is delicious and the scene very lively. The waiters need to learn a bit more English but overall a delicious treat!Special Features:
- Madison UES phony social sceneFrenchieDined on 7/15/2013Food is mediocre average, noise unbearable but nice friendly staff. Considering the plethora of nearby restaurants, this one is worth passing.
- Very fine dinner good serviceGeorgeDined on 7/4/2013I brought my mother and wife and my two teenage sons here for a dinner. The location is great, the waiter and other staff were friendly, the food was delicious. Everyone had a great time. Unpretentious but fine. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i will be back!anonymous2VIPDined on 7/3/2013love it here. staff is nice, food is so good and love the decor. just wish they would put the ac on when it's warm out. fun people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John is the prince of Bar ItaliaNYCFoodieVIPDined on 7/1/2013I enjoyed my second experience at Bar Italian as much as my first. Excellent food, impeccable service and lively ambiance. John the maitre d' is incredible. He is easy to offer suggestions from the menu and takes obvious care in his job. The lovely hostess is patient and personable and provides a perfect first impression of this charming neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attractive venie with deliciousBillVIPDined on 6/29/2013Attractive venie with delicious food and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have only eaten lunch herejimcathy1VIPDined on 6/26/2013I have only eaten lunch here but every time, the food has been really good. The service is friendly, prompt, and professional. It is a pretty (all white) room that is especially nice in the summer. It is expensive - considering the portions - but reasonable compared to Nello. I will continue to go back. The people watching at lunch is fun. I will try it for dinner sometime. I do recommend it!Special Features:
- European vibefoodloverDined on 6/24/2013I've been here several times and it's always a great place for great Italian food, a fun crowd and a little piece of the UES!Special Features: