1843 Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hershspizza.com/
- Phone: 4434384948x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
On Fridays and Saturdays, reservations are accepted for our upstairs dining room. Bar area is walk-in only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: In our second-story dining room, with it's beautiful murals on exposed brick, we have the flexibility to host up to 65 guests for anything from holiday parties to business events to rehearsal dinners. The downstairs bar, with its vintage vibe and great music, accommodates up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Stephanie Hershkovitz 4434384948x
A word from Hersh's
Hersh's celebrates the foods of Italy and the craft of the American bartender. Our menu of fresh, ingredient-driven dishes includes rustic Italian small plates and award-winning housemade pasta, as well as Neapolitan pizza featuring housemade mozzarella and sausage. Our booze program focuses on vintage cocktails, craft brews and spirits and a tightly-edited wine list offering varietals you won't see every day. Come hungry, come thirsty and come often!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Hersh's - Best Restaurants in Federal Hill ›
Hersh's reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (48)great for outdoor dining (38)vibrant bar scene (17)good for groups (15)romantic (14)hot spot (13)great for brunch (12)special occasion (9)late-night find (9)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Great food, decent servicekkay459Dined on 4/5/2014The restaurant is small and charming, with a good attempt at ambiance for it's relatively residential location. The food is delicious, but the menu is small. Highly recommend the artichoke appetizer. It was a bit loud, but we brought our six year old, so we were willing to put up with the chatter and noise of the other diners. My only complaint was that the service was a bit slow, but I'm used to New York time, so that may have been on my. Excellent overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love This RestaurantSallyAnnVIPDined on 4/5/2014There's something about being at Hersh's that is fun! The pizza is delicious with interesting toppings and the appetizers are also different and very good. It is one of our go-to places.Special Features:
- Always deliciousWeathergirl21230VIPDined on 4/4/2014Food is always good, drinks unique. The beet and frisée salad was unbelievable. I almost went back the next day to eat it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE this restaurantsmallc1Dined on 3/30/2014The food at Hersh's is not like any Italian restaurant I've been to in Baltimore. The appetizers change seasonally and the addition of the stuffed artichoke from the wood oven is a plus. They are beautifully trimmed with just a touch of stuffing. It was fried chicken Sunday and what a treat. The chicken was crispy and lightly coated in a spicy calabrian chili sauce. Delicious!! The pizza is really the best in town. My favorite is the fungi, mixed mushrooms with sherry. Add housemade sausage and it's delightful. Desserts are also inventive. We shared the cherry and kumquat bread pudding. Not too sweet and a wonderful combination. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- winendineDined on 3/30/2014Had several small plates and a pasta entree, as well. Great place opened up in the former Rub spot in South Baltimore. Went during the soft opening to try as many things as we could. They do Neopolitan-style pizzas; great puffy, chewy, salted crust (I hear it's supposed to be crisp, but that night it was on the chewy side). Clam Pizza rocks! Service was earnest and friendly, but a little unaware (ate apps with no plates, and one diner was missing silverware for a little while). Cocktails are a must-have (if you enjoy an inventive cocktail). The place has a rustic intimate feel to it, while still appealing to your modern, cutting-edge senses. This is the kind of gem you want to get cred for being the first one to tell all your friends about.Special Features:
- Hersh's is great!Reviewer1234567Dined on 3/29/2014I'm not from Baltimore so I can't say whether the quality of the pizza is the best in that city but it far beats anything I've had in DC including 2Amy's. I was searching for a spot for a date in Baltimore and it came down to Pazo, Forno, Birrotecca and Hersh's. After reading reviews and looking at images of each restaurant I chose Hersh's and it was PERFECT! The scene was busy but chill for a Saturday night at 8:30pm and the lighting, mood, service were all great. It was romantic but without a lot of the pretentiousness. Anyways, I definitely recommend Hersh's! The wine and cocktail program were great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!lisaSVIPDined on 3/28/2014the pizzas and small plates are always changing, but always good.Special Features:
- Great place to get your hipster oncchiVIPDined on 3/27/2014Great food, especially vegetarian options. Happy hour options were great! Delicious pizza, perfect to go along with the drinking. Young vibe, not very big space with limited table space. Great bar scene. My favorite were the Funghi pizza and the artichoke antipasti.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant in BaltimorePhotiniVIPDined on 3/23/2014We moved here from New York City and had a difficult time finding the kinds of places we used to go to in NYC, in Baltimore. What I mean by that is places with excellent food but not fancy or super-expensive. Hersch's is just like the places we loved in New York - the food is fantastic, which for us is primary, prices are reasonable, and we always go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencechicago2bmoreDined on 3/15/2014Had a great Saturday evening dinner with friends. Split 5 specialty pizzas, fries were freshly cut potatoes, great meal! Also great drinks, both alcoholic and non.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemFantastic foodSmaltimoreSueVIPDined on 3/14/2014Hersh's is always a reliable go-to place for a reasonable dinner on a Friday or Saturday night, pizzas, pastas, house cocktails, good beer and wine choices. But last Friday, I was astonished at the quality and taste of what we ordered, beginning with a prosciutto crostini which sent us (and the table next to us) in rapturous delight. The lemon dijon dressing on the kale salad perfectly balanced the strong greens with nuts and cheese. I had the black ink squid pasta with clams and mussels and my friend had the braised pork-belly pasta, both giving wave after wave of taste and texture. And the smaller dinner portions were just right. Way to go Hersh's! We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS PIZZA!KeyKeyDined on 3/8/2014This is my second time to Hersch's and I absolutely LOVE the place! From the hostess to the food, everything about the restaurant screams "I will make sure you are taken care and well fed!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really cool placeAlanDined on 3/1/2014Parking was horrendous but once you get in, it is well worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rotating Menu Always PleasesBikeToEatDined on 2/15/2014This is a favorite of ours and we very much enjoy the changes to menu. While we usually order from the fine draft beer selection, we enjoyed the Valentine's Weekend cocktail special. We shared Fettuccine [with lemon, pistachios, red onion, Fresno chilies and pecorino romano] and a Buon Natale pizza. We managed to save room for the almond ricotta doughnuts which were delightful. Our server was very attentive and made helpful suggestions. Though quite busy, we did not have to wait at any point and were seated immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's day and more casual dinCapsfanDined on 2/14/2014Hersh's has never disappointed! Great food, not too expensive, great bar, lovely ambience. Recommend the da fungi pizza and the ricotta appetizer. I haven't tried any of the main courses besides the pizza but they look great, too! My one complaint is that it can take a long time to find parking. Arrive 15 minutes before your reservation on a busier night and you should be fine. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnTravlingdinerDined on 2/14/2014A wonderful neighborhood find with imaginative food, great service and an energetic vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FindwabbotDined on 2/9/2014If you haven't been to Hersh's, then you should absolutely put it on your list. I was with a big group and we had three different pizzas, all of which were terrific, three amazing appetizers (the meatballs I will have every time I go back), and yet the best things on the menu are probably the pastas, which I am going to go back for soon, as I only got tastes, having ordered the pizza. I would say that Hersh's is a pizza place for foodies and a bar for microbrew lovers, all in a hip and vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!JasonHVIPDined on 2/7/2014This was out second time at Hersh's and it's been very good both times. The clam pizza and the seafood stew were excellent. The service is top notch as well. The seating is a bit close and the parking in the area can be tricky. Beyond that, great neighborhood or date night spot!Special Features:
- Light at the End of Light StreetSoBoPamDined on 2/7/2014Hersh's Pizza & Drinks is a relatively new "South Federal Hill" restaurant. They serve great gourmet pizzas with interesting toppings, lovely homemade pasta dishes and a handful of meatier entrees on a changing basis. Fantastic salads too - I loved the Tuscan Kale Salad on my most recent visit - so good and so good for you! All Hersh's food is wonderful and well worth the trip to the end of Light Street. Great for dinner or just drinks and small plates at the bar. Definitely a neighborhood gem!! I'm so glad I can walk there, since their creative cocktails pack a punch!!Special Features:
- ExcellentJayLaneDined on 2/1/20144 of us dined at Hersh's in early February. We had a very nice cheese appetizer and then pizza for dinner. I have read before that the pizza was of the knife and fork variety and now I agree. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of other diners eating with slice folded in hand but I felt that the knife and fork worked better and I am more than ok with that. I enjoyed the wood fire taste, the perfectly cooked crust, and fresh toppings. I'm definitely going back for more. I was also a fan of the Eurotrash Pilz so there you go.Special Features:
- Our new favorite spotpdkaizerVIPDined on 2/1/2014This is now our new favorite restaurant in Baltimore. The food is amazing and the cocktails are as well. Can't wait to try more items form the menu. Only down side is parking on weekends is difficult.Special Features:
- This restaurant takes theMarySDined on 2/1/2014This restaurant takes the neighborhood bar to a new level. The food was unique but not too weird. Everything was clearly freshly prepared and delicious. The staff was personable but not intrusive. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to meDiningexplorerDined on 1/31/2014Menu is small but I understand that it changes regularly. Pizza was very good but a tad overpriced. It was still worth it though and I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hersh's is the best pizza in BmoreBmoreversaryDined on 1/29/2014Hands down, Hersh's has the best pizza in Baltimore. The crust is both exceptionally thin, crunchy and chewy at the same time--it's a true revelation. Must haves are the Kale and Pistachio, the Fumo y Fuoco with Merguez sausage, the Mushroom, and the margherita. In addition, their pastas and mains are spectacular, as are their salads. Ambiance is nice without being stuffy, waitstaff is incredibly helpful and attentive without being overbearing. Wine, beer, and cocktails are all well curated and excellent, without being overwhelming. Absolutely one of my favorite restaurants in Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never had a bad meal here.chrisVIPDined on 1/17/2014Never had a bad meal here. Love the energy of the place even though we were the oldest people there. Was sad to see the prosciutto and arugula pizza off the menu. Our waitress did say it could be made if it was asked for, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotBmoreDinerDined on 1/3/2014Great spot for date night or a night out with friends! Love the quality ingredients they use and the variety of the menu. House made pasta is especially delicious and the service is great - professional and they seem like they really care about the customer having the best experience possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Neighborhood Restaurantfoodie1VIPDined on 12/23/2013Our second visit to Hersh's was as good as the first. Great food, wonderful service, great ambiance. Really has a great, big city vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite neighborhood restauranOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2013We love Hersh's. The food is always delicious, staff friendly, and atmosphere warm and welcome.Special Features:
- The two different pizzas weOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2013The two different pizzas we ordered were excellent and the meatballs we had for an appetizer were superb, I would go there again just for the meatballs!Special Features:
- Just an expensive pizza placeJillDined on 12/20/2013We were disappointed with Hersh's. It was so loud that we couldn't even hold a conversation. While our server was excellent, that's not enough to make us want to return. The pizza was good, but ridiculously overpriced. My primary gripe, however, was the incredibly small glass of wine. When I'm paying $10 for a glass of wine, I expect a decent sized pour. In short, we felt that we were paying white table cloth prices for a glorified pizza joint.Special Features:
- great food, relaxed atmospheremxh4VIPDined on 12/13/2013I had a great experience at Hersh's. We have a four year-old son, who loves to go to restaurants, but we are realistic in the activity/noise level one can expect from a four year-old boy. We also (remembering back to when we were childless, and how irritating it was to be around clueless parents imposing on my dining experience) are very sensitive to not ruin the dining experience of those around us. The downstairs vibe and scene was very nightlife..we were, however, seated upstairs, where there were a lot of families. The noise level and casual atmosphere made it a comfortable experience where we didn't have to keep shush-ing our son, but it didn't feel like we were at Applebee's, either...all-in-all an enjoyable evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Evening!MaggiVIPDined on 12/9/2013We had a blast! The food was amazing – delicious meatballs, salad, pasta and the pizza with the thin crust transported us back to Italy. Our waitress, Charmaine, was awesome! Thank you so much. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBalconYoungDined on 12/7/2013Food was quirky and delicious. Great change of pace. Environment was intimate and appealing, though the tables were a little close together. Would highly recommend for friendly hang out or date. Plan on returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very inventive pizza. KaleRogerDined on 12/7/2013Very inventive pizza. Kale and pistachio nut pizza was wonderful. Crust was thin and perfect. Excellent salads. Staff is very friendly. This is my second really good experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Light Street BistroFootedContessa1VIPDined on 11/30/2013Hersh's fits the bill for a casual bite/dining. You will find good service and delicious food.
- Dinner with the familyCJDinerDined on 11/30/2013Great food, drinks and service as always. The kids LOVED the food! Thank you Hersh's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious food.KmonteKVIPDined on 11/29/2013We loved every single bite, and we'll come back again and again. What a great menu and fantastic food!Special Features:
- Understated ExcellenceMmmFoodVIPDined on 11/27/2013This was my second visit to Hersh's and well worth the return trip. Hersh's is located on Light St. in "Federal Hill," but it is quite a hike from the vibrant bar scene that surrounds the Cross Street Market. It is easy to overlook this restaurant based on its location but it is a mistake to do so. The cocktails are excellent; the pizza is fantastic; and the anitpasti offerings are creative and well-executed. Hersh's is a very affordable way to eat well.Special Features:
- Fabulous, As AlwayscconnorDined on 11/23/2013Thank you for another fantastic date night, our server was cheerful, informative, and present in just the right amount, and as we were relatively late night diners, as the restaurant closed we felt welcome and accepted by the bartender; a beautifully smooth transition from one server to another without us ever leaving the table. Recommend chocolate ice cream with rum chata. Killer. The food was well described, well executed, and delicious. Was unsure about the at-the-table slicing, after having it explained, genius.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not our best visitdisappointedVIPDined on 11/16/2013We've been about 3 or 4 times. Always love the kale and pistachio pizza, but this time it was a bit burnt, so not the best. The apple fritters for dessert, though, were amazing. We'll go back, but not running back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.