213 Windward Ave
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hamasushi.com/
- Phone: 3103968783
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Happy Hour Patio Bar: 5:00pm - 7:00pm Mon-Fri
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Joseph Bracero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Our renown Catering Chef Jason Levine, can accommodate both large corporate functions as well as small, intimate gatherings in your home. We have a menu selection for every size and budget.
- Private Party Facilities: Contact us to schedule your next private party.
- Private Party Contact: Kat Stewart 3103968783
- Entertainment: We encourage guest participation in our famous Birthday and last call for sushi songs! We also feature 2 huge projection screens and 3 flat screen TVs on the patio which play everything from old surf movies to the playoffs!
A word from Hama Sushi
Hama Sushi is a landmark restaurant located in the heart of Venice. Serving the freshest, most authentic sushi creations and French inspired fusion cuisine since 1979. Our eclectic clientele, lively atmosphere, innovative world class weekly specials and knowledgably and friendly staff make for an unforgettable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hama Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (12)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (8)fit for foodies (8)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (4)special occasion (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- May good for non-JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/4/2011I can recommend for native people (non Japanese, or those who have not lived in Japan) who look for a bit "American-taste" Japanese food. As a Japanese, lived in Japan for more than 35 years, I prefer other Japanese restaurants with similar price, more Japanese taste food, and Japanese ambiance. Food was reasonably good. Service was above average.Special Features:
- Very good sushi and interestingbeccatDined on 5/31/2011Very good sushi and interesting specialty rolls. Try the Strawberry roll for dessert - delicious combination of flavors and textures. They even have brown rice sushi!Special Features:
- Since 1989OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/22/2011Since 1989 the relaxed mood @ Hama’s and simple decor has not changed a bit. The sushi is always superior, always fresh and the beer is always cold. It has never disappointed. Offering cooked items allows for another guest option for those who may not enjoy traditional raw sushi. We started with edamame, miso soup, and outstanding beef gyozas. Next we had the Ika/grilled squid which was a little overcooked, but still had great flavor. For the children we ordered an intro sushi combo plate, then Mom & Dad had our sushi favorites: salmon, yellowtail, halibut, tuna, mackeral, eel, all outstanding. Like the green tea, our server was warm and pleasant . After some amazing specialty rolls (rainbow & yummy) and mochi ice cream we were all content.Special Features:
- Hama is one of the originalOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/14/2011Hama is one of the original sushi restaurants in the USA, described in part in the book The Zen of Fish (subsequently reprinted as the Zen of Sushi, I think). The restaurant is unpretentious, and originally had a mission to help Americans appreciate sushi without some of the stuffy formality that was common thirty years ago. I've been on both weekends and on weekdays; on weekends, the place gets pretty packed and service can be a bit slow.
- My favorite sushi spot inOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/30/2011My favorite sushi spot in LA, the fish quality is outstanding.Special Features:
- Good for some sushi if that'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/29/2011Good for some sushi if that's what you're looking for. Not good on the price scale, not good for atmosphere, nothing really exotic or special about their rolls and sashimi. I wouldn't recommend.
- You have to sit at the sushiamr123Dined on 3/25/2011You have to sit at the sushi bar and let Jason Levine make you whatever HE suggests.Special Features:
- They're all so nice here!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2011They're all so nice here! Neighborhood sushi joint that is consistently good.
- So-so SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/4/2011We've been going to Hama for years, off and on, but now that we've moved to Venice we figured we'd be going a lot more. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the quality of the sushi. The yellow tail was slightly fishy, the Kenny's lobster roll was dry and stringy, and the crunchy roll we got (forget the name) was just so-so. Liked the beef gyoza. It's possible that the non-sushi menu items are good, and we'll try them out. We also plan on sitting at the bar next time and trying the omakase to see if it's better. I want to give Hama another chance, but won't be ordering the a la carte sushi again.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/23/2011We made reservations a month in advance, we were not told that they had a mixer that night and we had to sit outside. It was very cold and uncomfortable, even with moving our table under a heater. This was not the Hama Sushi I remembered from our younger years of living in Marina Del Rey.
- I met 2 gf's there, it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/9/2011I met 2 gf's there, it was my first time there and honestly till the end of the evening All was great till one of my friends spotted a roache by our table. I was in India for a while so i'm not particularly too grossed out whenever i see one these days anymore but what i was mostly surprise and disappoited at was the manager even though very apologetic for the incident only gave us a 10% discount on our bill. Ok i'll admit the even with a bigger discount i will still think twice about going back there but with the very little effort of 10% im definitely NOT!!! Sorry :-/
- I used to go to Hama SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/22/2011I used to go to Hama Sushi 10+ years ago when I lived here... was my favorite sushi place. just moved back this past year and finally got back. I was not disappointed. While the ambiance is loud, i love that about it. Still GREAT and always high quality sushi.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food and spacefood4uDined on 1/18/2011Enjoyed the food and space a lot. Fresh nigiri. The green devil roll was a amazing.Special Features:
- food and atmosphere (on theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2010food and atmosphere (on the patio) was excellent. We made the mistake of going during Monday night football so were overwhelmed by screens loudly showing a game we had no interest in. But I look forward to going back on a non-sporting event day.
- the service was so and soOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2010the service was so and so but the prices are too expensive comparing to the taste of the the. i was dissapointed and probably will not come again
- Good quality fish, but a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/2/2010Good quality fish, but a little on the pricey side
- I used to eat at Hama SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2010I used to eat at Hama Sushi back in the early 1980's before "Sushi" was the "In Thing" . After all these years, I wasn't dissapointed! The Sushi Bar was still Energetic and full of life, as were the Chef's, who were friendly and attentive. Overall I must say, the food was a little pricey, but well worth it. The food was still excellent after not having been there in 20 years. This was a special treat for my birthday, one I won't soon forget. Thank you Hama Sushi for your consistency after all these years, especially in a city where location and ambience forgo the quality of food and service. I would highly recommend this to everyone! ****4 starsSpecial Features:
- The food is top notch here,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2010The food is top notch here, it's a little noisy and a little pricey, but worth the splurge and a great place overall!Special Features:
- Some of the freshest, tastiestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2010Some of the freshest, tastiest sushi I have had. We both enjoyed our meal.DEfinitely not a place for a quiet, intimate dinner though.Special Features:
- It's always busy at Hama andOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/6/2010It's always busy at Hama and the night we went service was really slow. The bar scene is probably better than the food.
- I am not that familiar withsherylenVIPDined on 7/28/2010I am not that familiar with Venice but thought this was going to be more on the boardwalk where all the restaurants are...it was in a very questionable area of Venice and it was a little too casual, in my opinion, for the client dinner I was having. Overall, the food and service were pretty good but it didn't meet my expectations.Special Features:
- The sushi, the relaxed environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2010The sushi, the relaxed environment and friendly service were all EXCELLENT!!!!Special Features:
- Very fine restaurant. A bitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2010Very fine restaurant. A bit pricy but well worth it. Great Sushi and friendly service...Special Features:
- Our server was excellent.WestenderVIPDined on 6/23/2010Our server was excellent. She went above and beyond the call for my 10-year old, who wanted filet mignon, which was no longer on the menu. She managed to procure some which was cooked to perfection. The jalapeno yellowtail sashimi was fresh and tangy. The uni sashimi was so sweet and fresh, we had 2 orders. Also loved the quail egg shooters. Some rather "shady" characters in the outdoor dining area and so recommend the indoor dining. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- The food was delicious! HamaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/18/2010The food was delicious! Hama is the perfect place for entertaining out-of-tow, sushi-loving guests. Special thanks to Open Table for accomodating a last minute reservation. Hama greeted us at the door and the hostess walked us to a comfortable table for 4 on the patio in an area where converations could still be had and heard. The Hama staff was friendly and attentive to our needs. It was a successful, enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- Way too expensive!!!! ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2010Way too expensive!!!! There are too many amazing sushi alternatives in LA to charge such prices for sub par sushi. The food was fine... just not worth the price. The energy was great, but don't expect any culinary masterpieces.
- always perfect in the food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/9/2010always perfect in the food, the service and the fun!Special Features:
- My friends and I celebratedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/17/2010My friends and I celebrated my 30th b-day at Hama and we had a fabulous time. The service was very good, the outdoor seating area was lively and the rolls were fantastic! I was craving sushi the rest of the weekend! We even brought a cake that the kitchen held for us and when we asked for it, they put candles on it, dimmed the lights and the whole restaurant sang "Happy Birthday!" They went above and beyond for us and it was great!Special Features:
- Great sashimi & rolls. ConsistentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/9/2010Great sashimi & rolls. Consistently great food at a good price.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful time, theOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/8/2010We had a wonderful time, the fish was very fresh and the sushi rolls were as good as the regular sushi. The staff was friendly and accomodating. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great food, recommend to makeCarolSDined on 4/2/2010Great food, recommend to make a reservation. Even after we had made a reservation... we were put what I considered in the bar area... and we had a child with us. Which we then had to wait about 20 or more minutes for an available table on the 'inside'!
- food was just ok. the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2010food was just ok. the menu is great as far as variety goes, but the food is fair. far below a place like sushi roku as far as taste and quality. its too bad because its in a great location in venice. the service was great, and the people who work there are really nice. just wish the food was better.
- Hama is great. a bit priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/15/2010Hama is great. a bit pricey for sushi but hey, it's LA. They have some very interesting rolls that you won't find just anywhere and they play the Lakers games in the bar which makes it great when you are waiting on friends.Special Features:
- VERY casual place. Went sightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2010VERY casual place. Went sight unseen for a romantic dinner, which didn't work out. Dank cafeteria-like lighting, servers brushing past our table constantly, kids running back and forth, and noise from the bar...basically a Valentine's nightmare. The sushi was solid, but the miso soup had no bite and the seaweed salad was literally tough. Seems like a good neighborhood place, especially for those with kids. As for you daters, steer clear...Special Features:
- Service has always been relaxedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/5/2010Service has always been relaxed and professional, a mix many retaurants struggle to master. The food is creative, and the prices, good. The interior is not at all fancy, but has a nice feel to it. Hama Sushi has become one of our go-to comfort restaurants. we live in Ocean Park, so it's an easy hop.Special Features:
- Hama is a place to experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/5/2010Hama is a place to experience - great wait staff. The food is very good, the drinks are unique and fun. If you hit Venice - why not go all the way "Venice" and try one of its classic food spots. Plus, you get to enjoy surf movies at the same time. It's a fun classic with good food.Special Features:
- A lot of fun. Decent sushi,AngusmcgVIPDined on 2/1/2010A lot of fun. Decent sushi, but the non-sushi specials are better. A great happy hour spot.Special Features:
- Used to be a neighborhoodChefsRartists2VIPDined on 12/29/2009Used to be a neighborhood gem...but just not the same. Does have great happy hour at the outside bar. Sushi is still very fresh...but not very imaginable with sauces...still a great place after frolicking at Venice Beach.
- Our favorite sushi place inOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/22/2009Our favorite sushi place in L.A. The service and management are the best. Great food and an amazing sake selection. I would recommend this place to anyone who enjoys great food and an upbeat fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Their fish/sushi is so fresh,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/5/2009Their fish/sushi is so fresh, it melts in your mouth. This is my favorite place for sushi by far!!Special Features: