24 East 21st Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://almayassnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124733100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch : Monday to Sunday 12:00 PM Last Order 3:00 PM
Dinner: Monday to Wednesday and Sunday 5:30 PM Last Order 10:30 PM
Dinner: Thursday to Saturday 5:30 PM Last Order 11:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Lebanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Almayass
"There is no sincerer love than the love of food"Continued
The essence of Almayass is best described
"...when the hanging leaves dance to the rhythm of delicate breeze."
The essence of Almayass is best described
"...when the hanging leaves dance to the rhythm of delicate breeze."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Almayass - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Almayass reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)good for groups (52)special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (47)romantic (40)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (16)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- MehfiktoDined on 6/16/2014Very average food and overall experience. Dishes did not seem authentic. Dining room lighting was too bright. The separate bar area was the best part of this place.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencealexlbVIPDined on 6/13/2014Organized dinner for my girlfriend and her friends here. Food was excellent and service was perfect.Special Features:
- Best kept secret tip in NYCdbonkDined on 6/13/2014Thanks so much, making our wedding Dinner so special. Incredible friendly service, very familiar and highest attention on the guests. The food is fantastic!!! We will definitely come back. Thanks GM Mario und your unbelievable team . Love Simone&Dieter, Manuela&VolkerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent companyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/12/2014I've been here a few times and they never disappoint. Their mezzes are incredible and you can come here you have a real Armenian inspired tapas style dinner. The food is always incredibly fresh. The service is also excellent, very friendly, just attentive enough. The wine list is also good, not too extensive, but a good selection.Special Features:
- Warm and Friendly:OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/10/2014This is the second time this year we dined there with friends and both times we all enjoyed the food, atmosphere, and the service. We returned to enjoy once again, the delicious Mantee. Our only complaint had to do with the second time we dined there. We were seated in back of the restaurant on the settees. The benches were too low causing the table to be too high and making it awkward to eat. The red wine list could be more extensive including a greater price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing dinnerptcaDined on 6/8/2014My wife and I truly enjoyed our meal and the staff and owner went out of their way to serve us. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Astonishing dinnerRRoyalDined on 6/8/2014The food quality and the high level of personalized service were just outstanding. We will continue recommending this restaurant to all our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousHungryKiwiDined on 6/7/2014The food was amazing, service very attentive, and the atmosphere quiet and cool on a hot summer day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best ethinic restaurantFosterVIPDined on 6/6/2014This is my 10th visit to Almayass and the food and service is always consistently good. It is clearly one of the best ethnic restaurants in the NY Area. I have never been disappointed with anything I have ordered. Its a great place to bring friends and family who have not experienced Mediterranean or Lebanese food.Special Features:
- Delicious, ExcellentArturVIPDined on 6/2/2014Lebanese food at its finest. As if you were in a fancy restaurant in Beirut. Must try, expect to get hooked. You can tell that the food is prepared from the freshest and best ingredients.Special Features:
- A gemsomebodyVIPDined on 5/26/2014This Lebanese Armenian restaurant is a gem. The food is authentic and the service excellent. The restaurant decor is attractive and the restaurant is spacious. Wonderful experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The lunch special was a wonderful introduction to Almayass. I certainly would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Great night outahkrVIPDined on 5/23/2014This place was perfect. We found it, last minute, on opentable. Sat in the spacious lounge area having a drink before dinner. Bartender was very welcoming. Great service. Great food. Beautiful dining room. Interesting menu. Good bottle of Lebanese wine, recommended by waiter who couldn't have been nicer. After dinner, finished wine in the lounge, with a bowl of strawberries offered by the restaurant. Seriously. No joke. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great service.foodlogicVIPDined on 5/23/2014My only complaint would be it was a tiny bit overpriced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed!SeraVIPDined on 5/21/2014I walk by Almayass regularly as I live a block away. My husband suggested we try it since he had heard great reviews. Sure enough, we had a memorable experience at Almayass. Attentive service. Calming decor. Delicious Meditteranean food with its own creative influences. Even though there are plenty of great dining bets around this neighborhood, we'll be coming back.Special Features:
- The following 272 reviews are from the Almayass reviews archive.
- JjjjDined on 5/21/2014Loved the appetizers however the main courses were way to spicy hot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nycdiner123VIPDined on 5/16/2014Food is delicious and high quality , but really too expensive. Other spots just as good at half the price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014Everything about Almayass was fantastic! The good was absolutely delicious and the service was outstanding. Our waiter, Roy, was informative and so friendly. We can't wait to come back to Almayass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!love2eatDined on 5/11/2014Picked it up from the recommendations from Open Table. The waiter, Leighton, was very knowledgeable and friendly. Followed his recommendations and everything was delicious. The lamb was cooked to perfection, the Lebanese Cabernet was the perfect pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten out of Ten!RRoyalDined on 5/11/2014Once again Almayass exceeded our expectations. We had dinner with three friends who had never been here before and they were all very impressed. This is an excellent place, with incredible food and spotless service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrLeeVIPDined on 5/10/2014Although our reservation got a little muffed and we ended up alone in the Lounge at the one table there (which seemed a little creepy/lonely at first but wasn't...), our dinner was after all delightful. The management etc took a little extra care because they thought we were unhappy (we weren't), but we had no particular special treatment per se but instead a fine dinner with outstanding food (Frogs Legs! etc) and good Lebanese wine and beer, and a nice view of the street and a LOT less noise than in the main dining room which was full of Large Parties which can run to the raucous somewhat. We could talk, we could hear the rather nice music, our wait-person was also the bartender and right handy, all was well and the meal was delicious.Special Features:
- HenrDined on 5/7/2014A nice spacious room and good music that still lets you be able to have a conversation without having to yell. Food is excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing food -- amazing serviceyummy123VIPDined on 5/5/2014I went here for the first time this week and was really blown away by the service at this restaurant. It is apparent that they are a top notch establishment with a staff that is head and shoulders above the rest. I went with my mom -- who is a tough cookie -- and she was totally impressed too. And the food was outstanding. I give it two solid thumbs up.Special Features:
- Pricy but deliciousLuv2eatDined on 5/4/2014This was an interesting choice. The food was delicious and service excellent. No one else was in the restaurant on Saturday at lunchtime. It may be because it is a very expensive choice for lunch with so many other places in Gramercy Park. We did enjoy the food and the quiet atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this Restaurant!DebbieDined on 5/3/2014Dined at Almayass on Saturday, May 3. We found Almayass on Open Table and decided to book it since the reviews were above average. Well the reviews were right! We started with drinks from the bar which was fun. The bar area is beautiful and very relaxing. The dining room was inviting, the waiters were helpful with the menu but most of all the food was delicious. Management was also very kind and helplful. Thank you everyone at Almayass, we will be back!Special Features:
- great lunch placeJohntheGreekDined on 5/2/2014Great food great feel great environment, the restaurant has a classic Cuisine that is traditional , the music and environment was perfect; the portions were great and the service fantastic, highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceRRoyalDined on 4/30/2014Our return visit to Almayass was as good, if not better than our first. This is our new favorite place in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTheAnointedOneDined on 4/29/2014I had lunch with an old friend visiting from Boston. We arrived at 1230 pm and the place was empty. Then it begin to fill up and reached a moderate crowd level. Then everyone else left and we stayed until 330 pm, the only ones left. They did not have one of the desserts we wanted so they gave us Ossmalieh Almayass on the house. Very friendly service.Special Features:
- Middle eastern treatLavinkaVIPDined on 4/28/2014Food is delicious, well-prepared and perfectly seasoned. The combination of textures and flavors is mouthwatering. Great selections for vegetarians. Perfect spot for sharing an assortment of small dishes to experience the wide array of flavors. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Authentic Flatiron Gemerfo1Dined on 4/26/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday, he is the real deal with middle eastern cuisine, so finding a spot that covers all the bases is rare. Almayass has really perfected this genre! The service was warm and caring. The vibe was vibrant indeed. The food was delish. I never write reviews, but Almayass really stands out. We will def be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!WillDined on 4/26/2014Everything was spectacular. The food was amongst the best Middle Eastern cuisine I have ever had, and the define and ambience were suitable for a special occasion. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheers for AlmayassFussyEaterDined on 4/25/2014If you love a meal of delicious cold and hot appetizers, this is the place to go. The waiters are helpful in highlighting fascinating choices from an overwhelming selection. Servings are large and easily shared by a group. Entrees are okay too, but not quite as special and more expensive. And one can converse without shouting and not feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class Lebanese/ArmenianRRoyalDined on 4/24/2014Came to Almayass based on a friend's recommendation and we were stunned. The place is filled with beautiful Armenian artwork and the atmosphere made us feel like we were guests in someone's upscale home. Service is impeccable with knowledgeable, well trained staff who are ready to please- reminded us of true hospitality, which is so hard to find nowadays. Such comfortable ambiance, none of the stuffiness you would expect. We tried the Fatoush salad, a variety of 4 appetizers and shared the Assorted Grill. Everything here was delicious. We have dined at a number of upscale Lebanese and Mediterranean restaurants in this area and Almayass is up there. We are already planning our next visit.Special Features:
- Excellent Service!KittyDined on 4/23/2014Every table was asked about their experience. You can tell they really care about what they're doing. Excellent food as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time as a first timeArmenDined on 4/21/2014I go to Almayass more or less regularly. In terms of food, this is probably the best I have tried in New York in the last 2 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A feastJeannetteDined on 4/20/2014Wow, we had a great first experience. Armenian cuisine is outstanding. Our server was attentive, respectful, and determined that we have a good meal. The appetizers are a must (Subereg, Kebbe Kras, many more we will try next time) and it's OK, even recommended to order a smaller number of entrees than the number of people at the table, as sharing is encouraged. The lamb kebab is excellent. I mentioned on booking it was a birthday celebration, but we had no room for dessert after the excellent meal. Nevertheless a delicious Armenian dessert (Ossmalieh) came compliments of the chef, of which not a morsel was left on the plate. A most hospitable place in all respects--you will be looked after and nourished with amazing food.Special Features:
- Armenian-LebanesebcnhDined on 4/19/2014Lovely setting in the Flatiron district, featuring the interesting spices and flavorings of Armenian-Lebanese cuisine.Special Features:
- This is a truly welcomingUlysses4Dined on 4/13/2014This is a truly welcoming restaurant. Great care and originality are reflected in its attractive decor. The food is of high quality and many dishes are delightful. Overall, we look forward to a return visit. The combination of Lebanese and Armenian heritage adds to the variety and complexity of recipes on offer.Special Features:
- Wonderful DeliciousdinerDined on 4/13/2014Have eaten now twice and food is so delicious, nicely prepared and flavorful! The blends of tastes of Lebanese and Armenian are so good and atypical of your regular 'middle eastern food' Service is attentive, excellent - the staff eager to please I think the desserts can be more diverse but everything is lovely as us the nice elegant decor It's a leisurely meal and to be savored,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, attentive service butMrsJVIPDined on 4/11/2014We enjoyed the food and found their service staff to be attentive. But there was something off about this place. (1) Lighting: Lights are not well-located to add a nice ambiance. It's gray all over and feels heavy, which bothered me a little. (2) Noise: It bounces everywhere. They don't have loud music; but since they lack any sound absorbing materials, it felt noisy when it wasn't even full. There are many tables for groups of 4 or more, so people talk, which would add to the noise level. Food is good. Well prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.