4930 Cordell Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriasorrento.com/
- Phone: 3017180344x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: De Simone Chefs, Carlo, Giovanni, Maria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: catering pick-up and delivery limited options available. budget catering available
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private room available. We also offer restaurant buyout. Corporate functions and Parties/Banquets anytime.
- Private Party Contact: Giovanni 3017180344x
- Entertainment: Live Opera Night
Wine tasting Dinners
Sunday Brunch coming soon-TBA
- Special Events: Live Opera Nights every first Sunday of the Month unless otherwise noted. Only $55.00 per person for a 4 course meal and all entertainment. A deal you won't regret and will want to come back again for. Each aria will be explained before singing. Come for a magnificent show with the top one and only starring soprano Diane Abel and Friends and enjoy a fabulous dinner prepared by DeSimone chefs. Also, join us for wine tasting dinners and charity events too.
- Cross Street: Old Georgetown Rd
- Public Transit: Bethesda Metro three blocks walking along Old Georgetown Rd. and free shuttle service to and from Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking right next door.
Valet parking available weekends.
Street parking available too, certain county hours apply.
Another Public Lot 1 block on Delray Ave.
A word from Trattoria Sorrento
"Trattoria Sorrento is a family owned and run restaurant, established in 1991. Influenced by culinary traditions emanating from Sorrento and with a focus on creating an authentic Italian dining occasion, we are confident that your experience will be reminiscent of an authentic meal in Italy." Fresh Seafood & Pastas, Pizza, Veal, Chops from our grill and definitely more and something for every palate. Come enjoy our tradition at Trattoria Sorrento!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Trattoria Sorrento - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Trattoria Sorrento reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)romantic (9)good for groups (9)special occasion (9)fit for foodies (6)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- The website called it romantic,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2013The website called it romantic, it was hardly that. The food was okay, but my dish was supposed to have white meat tuna; who would have ever guessed it would be canned. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- This was a great ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013This was a great Valentines Day experience. They made my wife and I feel as though we were part of the family rather than patrons. The food portions were plentiful and even more importantly, tasted great. As we waited to be seated, guest were telling us how much we would enjoy this restaurant. This has never happend to me and I was very impressed. This was truly a great dining experience and I will be a frequenting this establishment.Special Features:
- Food was good. But tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Food was good. But tables and seating was very crowded.
- My wife and I liked it. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/10/2013My wife and I liked it. The food was very good. We would return, but not on a night with live music. It was too loud and the restaurant was so packed that our server was struggling trying to serve all of the tables to whcih he was asigned. Many woul dlike th emusic, but we doid not. The singers were average at best and the volume was much too loud.Special Features:
- We generally love everythingfoodaholicVIPDined on 2/2/2013We generally love everything about Sorrento. This time the service was absolutely horrible. It was slow and the staff was not at all attentive. It put a really bad taste in our mouths since this is usually a "go to" restaurant for us. I hope it was just an aberation.Special Features:
- The food was first rate andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/19/2013The food was first rate and the menu extensive.Lovely cozy restaurantSpecial Features:
- Food was very good and serviceBigAlDined on 1/16/2013Food was very good and service was prompt and friendly. Only issue was a noisy table of 12 were everyone was talking at once. Since it was a rainy Wednesday evening hostess should have seated all other customers away from the noisy party who definately didn't care that they were bothering other diners.Special Features:
- Very wide menu that is very,OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 12/24/2012Very wide menu that is very, very reasonable for the quality and proportions served. Just a really nice, warm family run place that you can be comfortable with. `Special Features:
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/20/2012The service and food were excellent. The seafood was very fresh, the manicotti was delicious and the portions were generous but not over-sized. Delicious!Special Features:
- The food is very good here--youRonGVIPDined on 12/15/2012The food is very good here--you get a big bang for your buck. We've been several times, since we "rediscovered" it in the Fall. And it's become our go-to neighborhood Italian restaurant.Special Features:
- This family run restaurantTennisaceVIPDined on 12/9/2012This family run restaurant has great food and atmosphere. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/24/2012We had a lovely meal here. We were a large group, and my only complaints were that the service was slow, and they forgot one of our entrees. Other than that, the food was tasty and it was a fun family night out.Special Features:
- We thought the food was good;OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2012We thought the food was good; some very imaginative special salads, including one featuring grilled pumpkin. Entrees were good too. But when I took some home, I was disappointed to find that the fat my tomato-based pasta dish with sauteed tuna had been cooked in, congealed when placed in the fridge. This led me to conclude that the pasta dish had been cooked in saturated fat, maybe butter. As a health-conscious diner, I order tomato-based dishes to avoid saturated fats. The food is good at Sorrento, but they should not use saturated fats unnecessarily. Use olive oil please!
- Visit started off a bit iffyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/22/2012Visit started off a bit iffy with nobody there to great us and our waiting seeming a bit distracted. After that things got better quickly. The waiter ended up being quite friendly and provided great service and the food was very good. Overall we were quite happy with our experience
- We enjoyed our birthday dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2012We enjoyed our birthday dinner, very pleasant service and atmosphere. Great food. A little disappointed that waiter did not bring a cupcake or something to the table for my husband's 57th bday. I had messaged ahead that it was a birthday. But overall we had a good time. Thank you.
- Great food, prices are reasonable,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/14/2012Great food, prices are reasonable, service was fine (slow is in the eyes of the beholder, it is an Italian restaurant). Try the grilled shrimp and/or grilled calamari for appetizers.Special Features:
- The service was slower thanbiodocVIPDined on 9/1/2012The service was slower than I have experienced before and the restaurant was not busy.
- Great Italian restaurantpeanutsoupVIPDined on 8/28/2012I'm from NY and miss the great Italian restaurants. Sorrento is truly wonderful and my current favorite Italian restaurant in the Washington DC area. We had a fantastic meal and if you are ever lucky enough to catch the figs in season here, we highly recommend them.Special Features:
- The bruschetta was very tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012The bruschetta was very tasty but hard to share. Single piece of toast was smothered with veggies.Special Features:
- We went to Sorrento on a recommendaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2012We went to Sorrento on a recommendation from our neighborhood listserv, who said it was a gem of a place, superb food, but virtually empty the night they went and they were worried that this gem would be lost. So we went, and everything our neighbors said was true: lovely little place, absolutely terrific food. But the service...the ambiance...was slow death. Only 3 tables were filled, including ours, yet they seated us on top of each other (close to the kitchen). Our waiter seemed truly bored with us there - or else he was seeing the writing on the wall, and the place is not going to last. Dinner for 3 of us with a nice bottle of wine was $130 before tip.
- a nice italian restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2012a nice italian restaurant, good service and great foodSpecial Features:
- Always a favorite. DependablyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2012Always a favorite. Dependably good food and service in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- What a wonderful experience.....sheriVIPDined on 5/13/2012What a wonderful experience..... We felt like we were treated like VIP's. It was MOthers Day.. the busiest day to go out for dinner.... and yet it was perfect everything.Special Features:
- SusanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012We made a last minute mother's day reservation and our dining experience was a pleasent one. The food was amazing, best veal marsala I've ever had and our waiter was very friendly.The restaurant was a bit noisy but it was Mother's Day. I plan to go back on a regular weekend to see what the atmosphere is like.Special Features:
- A nice place, but I won'tmkg1234VIPDined on 4/14/2012A nice place, but I won't call it the best italian we have had, felt it was above average entrees...just not the type of flavor or very fresh taste as we have envisioned. We had a vegetarian and shrimp parmesan type type dishes. Appetizers were unique and the wine was very nice.
- We were introduced to theOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/14/2012We were introduced to the restaurant by friends and have returned many times. Great Italian food. Order the hot appetizer tray with grilled calamari, grilled shrimp, and steamed mussels - you will not be disappointed!
- Sorrento never ever disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/14/2012Sorrento never ever disappoints -- the food is consistently well prepared, delicious and delivered hot from the kitchen. On our most recent visit, we enjoyed a fabulous appetizer of warm mozzarella we had not tried before. The branzino is professionally filleted table side and always is exceptional. Even though I am often tempted to try one of the many other dishes on the menu, this one is so good it has been difficult for me to resist ordering it almost every time. Our guests enjoyed everything and plan to return. One could easily pass this restaurant by but it certainly would be a shame -- it is fabulous.Special Features:
- This was our first time atMac63VIPDined on 4/7/2012This was our first time at the restaurant. The menu is very well constructed and appealing. The soups and salads were excellent, the pastas were wonderful, and the service was very friendly if a bit slow. The only blemish was the Branzino, which had a slightly "fishy" taste but was ok. I highly recommend this restaurant, and I look forward to returning soon, particularly thinking about all the mouth watering items on the menu.Special Features:
- We came from Annapolis toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/24/2012We came from Annapolis to attend an event at Strathmore. Picked this restaurant based on other reviews on OpenTable. Did not disappoint - food was outstanding and the service was wonderful!Special Features:
- We had a great meal and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/18/2012We had a great meal and great service. Food was wonderful. A true family restaurant.Special Features:
- Very Authentic Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012It was our first time at Trattoria Sorrento and we were very pleased. We had been to Italy in October and loved Sorrento, and have looked for food similar to what we ate there. We chose to go on Valentine's Day, so I think the restaurant got crowded (seats are close together) quick all at one time which made service pretty slow. The staff seemed very busy but they were very nice. We ordered the Caprese Salad to start out with and it was DELISH!! Our meals took a while in coming out, but it was definitely worth the wait. We ordered the Gnocchi al Pomodoro and Fettuccine al Papalina. Both dishes were wonderful!!! I'm not even a huge Alfredo fan, but that sauce was yummy! The prices were also very reasonable. We'll be back soon!!!Special Features:
- First time eating at the restaurantDaveDined on 2/14/2012First time eating at the restaurant and my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. Food and service were excellent!Special Features:
- Valentine's Day, so the restaurantvahevalaDined on 2/14/2012Valentine's Day, so the restaurant was packed. Service was slow, but helpful when they could stop by. Food was okay, but ordinary. A plus was that there were plenty of vegetarian selections, a lot of variety, more so than we usually find.
- We usually love this placeGoodfood123VIPDined on 2/4/2012We usually love this place but they were slightly.off on this night. Service was exceptionally slow. The food was decent but not as good as usual and we sat at a table where we got a blast of cold air everything the door opened. Other restaurants figure out a way around that. They should too. We will go back and hope it is back to its better self next time.
- The perfect place for a familyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/29/2012The perfect place for a family dinner. Something for everyone, casual but refined. Such a nice change from the big noisy boxes close by.Special Features:
- This is a one of our standard,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2012This is a one of our standard, neighborhood restaurants. We probably go there once or twice a month on the average. The food is always great. I generally order a fish or chicken entree and it is always very good. The caesar dressing is wonderful. I get the house chianti and it is very nice and goes with most everything. The service is warm and friendly but still very professional. It is cozy and I just love the ambience. It is certainly a restaurant I would recommend.Special Features:
- We were pleansantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2012We were pleansantly surprised by how much we liked this restaurant. We had walked by it for years and this is our first try. The food was very good and some unusal items on the menu. We enjoyed our meal very much.Special Features:
- meat sauce was a bit burnedgeoffVIPDined on 1/11/2012meat sauce was a bit burned - sitting too long in the pot. Rest of the food was good. Quiet restaurant and attentive service.
- I've been to Trattoria SorrentoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/31/2011I've been to Trattoria Sorrento many times, and have always been satisfied, whether ordering specials or from the menu. The noise level was a bit high on my last visit because it was New Year's Eve.Special Features:
- Good food - with a lot ofLML22VIPDined on 12/31/2011Good food - with a lot of competition for Italian food within about a 2 block radius in Bethesda, I'd say this isn't the top choice, but it was good. What sullied our visit was a VERY surly waiter who was scowling at us, difficult to get, and not at all service oriented. He acted like he was doing a huge favor by taking our order and literally sighed when one of us asked a question.