Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar
7644 Girard Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.finchslajolla.com/
- Phone: 8584564056
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 10:30am – 3pm, Saturday – Sunday: 10am – 3pm
Small Plates Menu: Tuesday - Sunday: 3pm – 5pm
Dinner: Tuesday – Saturday: 5pm – 10pm, Sunday 5pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary European, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mario Medina
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Sections of the restaurant are available for private events. Please call event manager for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Event Manager 8584564056
- Entertainment: Live music on patio Friday and Saturday night. Please call for details.
- Special Events: For Special Event inquiries, please contact Tiana or Linda at 858.456.4056. We will be happy to assist with all your event planning needs. We will work with you to create a wonderful event with a special touch within a budget you can afford!
A word from Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar
"The hidden gem in the jewel…" Enter through wrought iron gates into a European courtyard and discover the charming world that is Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar. The owners of Finch's have created a serene, intimate space where guests can escape life's hustle and bustle and relax, drink great wine, enjoy live music, and eat some of the best food around at moderate prices - an upscale dining experience at casual dining prices. This is evident from the moment you are graciously seated at your table with crisp linens, water carafes with fresh lemons as stoppers, and black and white finch salt and pepper birds. It is these quirky touches and attention to detail that is the guiding spirit behind this popular cozy, romantic and friendly La Jolla hotspot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Finch's Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)great for outdoor dining (23)fit for foodies (18)romantic (18)notable wine list (12)special occasion (10)great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great New Find - Delicious FoodSMLBVIPDined on 1/18/2014Finch's is a great local find with excellent food. Menu variety and creativity is notable and the actual dishes are complex and delicious. As is common for newer restaurants, the service leaves quite a bit to be desired at this price point. Hopefully as time goes on the service will become on par with how excellent the fare is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good experience, goodBobMDined on 1/17/2014Overall good experience, good menu choices. Wait staff a bit over-attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Jolla Best Kept SecretDJillieVIPDined on 12/15/2013I love this hidden little spot for its ambiance and gourmet food. It's tucked away in the Village of La Jolla, yet it's in the midst of hotels, shops & the cove. The garden & fountain area are quiet & relaxing, especially on weekends. We had the best darn good chicken salad sandwich and portabello mushroom ravioli entree, both excellent. The herbed specialty fries with garlic & parmison cheese were light and irresistable!Special Features:
- Great dining experience! WonderfulSHARONDined on 12/12/2013Great dining experience! Wonderful food, good wine! Made a good impression on our out-of-town guests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatspikeDined on 11/19/2013Fine dining, service and wine. You can't go wrong choosing Finch's Bistro & Wine BarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiappointedFoodieVIPDined on 11/16/2013We really wanted to like ths place but it fell short on many levels. It is tucked away in a mini business court and slightly away from the touristy part of La Jolla so we were hopeful. Food was under seasoned and we generally are sensitive to items being over salted. Food was not horrible but it wasn't stellar. Service was extremely slow. Our server did a good job telling us the kitchen was behind but it was at least 25 min wait between end of appetizers to dinner entrees arriving. Our server was not as refined as others in a similar type restaurant. For the prices they are charging, I expect the food, service and ambience to be better than average but it wasn't the case.Special Features:
- Lovely FindtigressloveDined on 11/15/2013What a great little romantic find. Had a wonderful intimate evening of incredible small plates, good wine, great service on a heated open area. Subtle live music in background- noticeable but never too loud or invasive. Just a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic restaurant with smallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013Eclectic restaurant with small rooms and patio sections. The waiter was great and took good care of us. We sat outside to enjoy the music and based on reviews that the inside was too crowded. This was good advice. Even outside was a bit cramped. The appetizers and desserts were great but the main courses left a bit to be desired -- namely seasoning, especially in the sides. We ordered the filet, the chicken, and the ribs. The ribs were cooked perfectly but the sides were very bland. The filet was average at best. Appetizer brussel sprouts were great as was the peace cobbler and the profiteroles. The wine list was great and the waiter found a wine we all enjoyed, in fact we had two bottles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It just gets better and betterVictoriaVIPDined on 10/19/2013We eat here all the time and have brought guests and it's always been perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent !!!!downtowndinerDined on 10/4/2013The ambiance is superb with multiple small dining rooms and an outside patio. There is music on the weekends which heightens the atmosphere. We had incredible service with no one rushing us. The food was outstanding. I can't say enough wonderful things about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ambience and service wereMaybeDined on 10/1/2013The ambience and service were impecable for my lunch date. Our server, Johnny, was excellent. The food I believe was farm to table, and the menu was interesting, but for a "foodie" it was a bit lacking in both seasoning and flavor. The main drag was the halibut in the special halibut salad was severely overcooked. I did not send it back, but likley would have if I would not have been on a date. I can cook halibut well, so a high end restaurant like this should be able to, especially because we came well after the lunch rush (1:30) and we were one of two couples in the restaurant. Maybe a new chef or sous chef is in order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tell everyone...lajollaVIPDined on 9/3/2013Finch's is great!!! Amazing food..terrific service. Its small and perfect@Special Features:
- We had a great time. The musicOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2013We had a great time. The music was fantastic and unobtrusive; we could enjoy the music and have a pleasant conversation without having to yell at each other. My steak was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Dining ExperienceGregHDined on 8/21/2013It's a little place, tucked away on Girard and a friend recommended it. The place is very small, so we were lucky that we went during mid-week because I think it would be tough to get a table on the weekend. The menu is varied and simple. The dishes were of generous portions and well-prepared. The service was extremely attentive and the pace at which the food was served was good. I would highly recommend the chocolate-filled French toast for dessert and place the order with your server at the right time as it will take about 15 minutes for them to prepare it. I'm not used to plunking down a C-note for dinner for two (but that's probably just me), so for special occasions, I wouldn't hesitate coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finch's Always DeliversVictoriaVIPDined on 8/8/2013We've never had a bad meal at Finch's and we eat there a lot. The food is truly delicious and the owner really cares about good food and good service. It's a hands on operation. It's the place where we always want to bring our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, server so-sozipporahVIPDined on 8/2/2013We had an early dinner on Friday before heading to an event on Prospect. The food was very good. We shared a Riviera salad and both really enjoyed it. Nice clean flavors! I had the scallops and the tamarind sauce was a wonderful complement to the dish. Companion had the nightly special, a grouper (or was it snapper?) that he really enjoyed. We wished we would have had the server for the table next to ours, as he was obviously much more comfortable in his role and was giving recommendations, etc. Ours was pretty stilted and stiff. Not that he didn't give us acceptable service, just wasn't nearly what we saw others getting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than a BistroFoodeeVIPDined on 7/27/2013Excellent food with some wonderful atypical menu items coupled with good service & lovely, quiet ambience. Most pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- DinnerCandyVIPDined on 7/12/2013Overall, had a nice dinner experience here. There were some unusual items on the menu, the setting is quaint. Service was good as well, waiter was very attentive. I would go back.Special Features:
- always love going thereJodyVIPDined on 7/5/2013I love Finch's but would like to make a few suggestions. Our waiter rushed us a bit with taking our order, then removing our bread plates- we hadn't had any yet- then bringing our food. Then- and I really dislike when this happens- he began clearing the table when some of us were still eating. A real no no in my opinion. The food was delicious as always but I must say the cobbler wasn't very good. The topping a bit too doughy. Keep on doing the great job that you do- we love it thereSpecial Features:
- Hidden spotSammmomDined on 6/25/2013Very quiet and private. A find in the midst of loud and crowded.
- Hidden TreasureqblagDined on 6/12/2013This is hard to find. It is tucked back off the street. It worth looking for.Special Features:
- La Jolla Pleasant SurprisegardengalVIPDined on 6/11/2013Dinner before a Warwick's book event. Finch's only a couple blocks away; well hidden entry off Girard (had to ask to find it; name is small, visible from only one direction) SURPRISE--it's a find! The exterior is little more than an alley with a tiny courtyard lovely with greenery, umbrellas, & heat lamps. Inside is quite romantic with tiny lights everywhere. Shared the appetizer sampler-- loved the sope & soup shooter. Hubby had the moist, fall-apart short ribs on top of truly the best polenta I have ever tasted! I had the pistachio crusted salmon-perfect & loved the inclusion of salad/ lentils. Not a French toast fan BUT French Toast dessert with nutella-yum! Great service; happy hr wine discount...love in La Jolla:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodStork606VIPDined on 5/26/2013Finch's has all a Bistro should have: excellent food, nice wine choices, quiet and romantic setting. We found the seafood to be excellent, especially the bass special. Our server seemed to be the host too so he was something less than fully attentive. That being said, it was a really pleasant evening and I would love to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid dining indoorsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/23/2013I have been coming to this restaurant for 30 years back when it was Cafe Lautrec, then Cafe Lavande and most recently Finch's. Finch's has been quite successful in bringing old clientele back, including me. It has been a favorite lunch destination for me for some time. This was the first time I dined there with five others. We were all very satisfied with our food. Service was attentive. Wine list had a good selection of favorite wines. The only criticism I have relates to the unpleasant unpleasant mildew odor that wafts at you when you eat indoors. They have to do something about this.I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch with friendstmeout2Dined on 5/21/2013For a special time with friends in the perfect atmosphere for sharing and laughing, Cinch's is perfect! We had a lovely, liesurely, delicious lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking service.....SandyDined on 5/14/2013The food is good, not enough wait staff. Had to ask several times to have our order taken.... Then a wait for the food.Special Features:
- Lovely Mothers Day brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2013We are visiting La Jolla and decided to try something new. Food was delicious. Tinkling fountain and live music. I'm glad we were seated in the patio/entry area or the music might have been too loud. Or maybe that was the large group trying to talk over the music. At any rate, we really enjoyed ourselves and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- The food was really delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2013The food was really delicious. The appetizers were a little small for the price. Entrees were great. Salads and desserts are very creative. Wine list is extensive. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem in La JollapmukDined on 5/10/2013This place is tucked a way off Girard avenue in La Jolla and is easy to miss, but is work seeking out. We had the fish soup, salmon and special of the day sea bass. The food was quite good and the service staff was very attentive and did a great job. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to remember!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2013My wife and I discovered Finch's just by chance. We were in La Jolla for our anniversary and need a place to eat at last minute, we stumbled across Finch's. What a great surprise. We ate in the front patio and had a great evening. The food was superbly prepared, my braised short ribs were fall off the bone good, the live guitarist was excellent, not in your face but really good enough so you wanted to listen, and our waiter (from Massachusetts)didn't miss a trick he took great care of us. Thank you all for a great evening.Special Features:
- great food, service, unpretentious,OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/20/2013great food, service, unpretentious, easy vibe. Hitting on all cylinders. Great job.Special Features:
- Went the extra mile to pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013The staff were excellent in particular, and genuinely happy to secretly deal with a birthday cake I had brought for my guest and brought it out, candle lit, at just the right moment. A real pleasure to interact with them. ANd the food was great too!Special Features:
- Great food in an intimateOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2013Great food in an intimate quiet setting. Also appreciated the live jazz guitarist in the background.Special Features:
- Has Potential; Not Ready for ReturngoodfoodwonoiseVIPDined on 3/23/2013We were placed at the table in front of kitchen and dishware alcove, even though we had asked to be placed at a quieter table in less of a traffic area. Apparently, tables for six can not be reconfigured. This restaurant has potential, but under current way of operating, and with disappointing food quality and overpriced, will not return.Special Features:
- A Hidden Treasure Not To Be MissedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2013First, ask for Thomas! He was a wonderful server. He didn't miss a beat. He offered wise suggestions and we had a fabulous meal. We celebrated a friend's birthday that evening and the restaurant provided the perfect venue. Farm fresh ingredients selected and prepared daily. Try the French Toast for dessert. Believe me! It's quickly becoming their signature dessert.Special Features:
- Great little restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/12/2013Great restaurant, nice tucked away location. They also really tried to be helpful for gluten free patrons.
- My husband and I got a lastJNLJDined on 2/16/2013My husband and I got a last minute reservation on a Sat. night. Ended up sitting at a very small table along the semi-outside corridor that leads into the restaurant itself. The chairs were uncomfortable, but there was an overhead heater that was on. Our first course was the Baja shrimp - very good but way overpriced for what you got. We both got the salmon, which was excellent, and we shared the French toast dessert that everyone was talking about in the reviews. It was extremely tasty. We ordered a bottle of red wine from Argentina - can't remember the name. Again excellent and a reasonable enough price for a restaurant. They had live music and the hostess and serve staff was very attentive. We would go back again.
- We sat on the patio whereLjayDined on 2/16/2013We sat on the patio where there was live music, it wasn't too loud so we were able to talk. There were space heaters, so even though it was a cool evening we were plenty warm. Our waiter was great; friendly, efficient, and had some great suggestions for dinner. The food was delicious, we will definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- Fabulous European restaurantJJWaltersDined on 2/14/2013Attended with my wife and another couple for Valentines Day. Was absolutely above and beyond our wildest expectations. We went in with no real knowledge of what to expect. The restaurant is very eclectic in it's set-up being a dis-jointed set of small areas and rooms. But it was cozy and inviting and the staff was wonderful. Very attentive and knowledgeable. The food - fantastic! One of our best meals in San Diego by far. It was a prix fixe for VD but the choices were quite varied and everyone enjoyed what they has ordered. Fresh, innovative and taste was out of this world. Would highly, HIGHLY recommend to anyone looking for something different.Special Features:
- My wife and I often eat atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013My wife and I often eat at Finch's. It is less than a two block walk from our home and we find the ambience and food to be outstanding. My only recent disappointment was the prix fixe dinner as being the only choice on Valentine's day. Although the selections for the prix fixe were very good, there are other items on the menu that I would have preferred. I was totally unaware that the prix fixe was the only option for that evening. If I had known otherwise, I would have chosen a different restaurant.Special Features: