5300 E. Mockingbird Ln.
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.central214.com/
- Phone: 2144439339x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Graham Dodds
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Central 214's South Wing offers a cozy yet contemporary retreat, ideal for your next event. Accommodating up to 50 sit-down guests or 75 guests for standing cocktail receptions/parties, the private room features elegant floor to ceiling windows overlooking the restaurant's courtyard and outdoor fireplace. Select from Central 214's seasonal menus or from a variety of private dining menu options for most any occasion, whether a special dinner gathering, bridal shower brunch, cocktail party or corporate event.
- Private Party Facilities: Central 214's South Wing offers a cozy yet contemporary retreat for up to 50 people seated guests,75 guests for standing cocktail receptions/parties. The private room features elegant floor to ceiling windows overlooking the restaurant courtyard and outdoor fireplace. Private dining menus available.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Krause 2145602865x
- Special Events: Visit our website to see all upcoming events.
A word from Knife
Knife's extensive menu celebrates the diverse flavors and substantial tradition of American regional cuisine. The menu evolves with the seasons to feature the freshest seafood, poultry and local produce. Knife sources its ingredients from regional purveyors across the country to heighten the authenticity of the menu. Diners experience the soul of American cooking with rustic flavors, approachable dishes and the intimacy of sharing familiar American food together with family and friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Knife reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)special occasion (84)vibrant bar scene (63)hot spot (56)notable wine list (44)romantic (43)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (25)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- JoanVIPDined on 7/15/2014Upon arrival, I was so impressed with this beautiful restaurant and hotel staff. However, food and service did not live up to standards of top rate steakhouse which had been expected.Dry aged steaks were not prepared as requested. Waitress was not attentive.Average dessert offerings to address steak too done didn't makwe up for average though costly meal. Willnot return.
- HungermanDined on 7/12/2014Food and service very good. When we arrived for our reservation, hostess said only available seating was at chef's counter or communal table. I explained that was not mentioned in our reservation which she confirmed but that was the way it was. Manager finally intervened, said they had some seating issues they were working on and thought he could get us a table within 20-25 minutes. As we were in no hurry we waited at the bar and were seated in about 20 minutes. There is a flaw in the reservation system if they accept reservations for a specific time but only have seating at the chef bar or a communal table and do not mention when reservation made. Other than that a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nu2DallasVIPDined on 7/10/2014Don't miss the restaurant. It hits every price point and taste. No frills.Special Features:
- uneventfullove2eatVIPDined on 7/10/2014expected a better meal with the previous reviews I had read. Steak had good flavor, was not tender, for $60 a steak, it should of melted in your mouth. Bacon tasting was interesting, a one time try for me, no need to do it again. Overall expensive dinner for what was ordered, with all the dining available in Dallas, nothing stood out to make me want to return.
- Teething ProblemsLivestrongDined on 7/9/2014Title says it all. Booked a table arrived and told that we could sit at the bar, community table or could wait? Tables for an intimate dinner for two are too large. Service was a little choppy and seemed to lack organisation. Read the reviews prior to this and decided to go regardless. Good concept and give it a few months to have the process buttoned down, this place should do well.Special Features:
- Knife Your SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014Knife is a great destination locale for fine meaty dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big MeatPowerOnDined on 7/5/2014Had dinner at Knife on Saturday. Food and service was outstanding. Cool place with nice vibe. Unique cuts of meat at very reasonable price points, plus the normal big cow cuts available at other Dallas steak places. I had beef cheek which was unbelievably good and tender. Others had crispy beef tongue, tri-tip, and pork belly....all were very good. Waiting for the 240 day dry-aged beef to become available. Avocado fries were really good. John Tesar even stopped by the table and was very gracious...nice touch. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Burgers & dessert for adultDallasVIPDined on 7/4/2014Burger absolutely outstanding. Great taste, simply done to perfection and an appropriate size portion. The crudité starter was delightful. The caramel panna cotta dessert was delicious. Our dinner from start to finish was perfect. I like the warm wood decor. I like that the bench side of seating did not make me feel like a midget. I like the two person tables were big enough for sharing a dish between us. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- First classKathleenDined on 7/2/2014From the bar to the seated dinner, meat lovers who like surprises with their meals have to visit Knife. Was a wonderful experience and the food was superb. Ambiance amazing. Bar was inviting. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dry Aged SteaksteveakajackDined on 6/28/2014Magnificent selection of steaks, very juicy & tender. Bacon Crusted Bone Marrow is a must try!!!Special Features:
- Worth tryingjacobDined on 6/28/2014On Sat night, bar was busy but not overflowing with people. Service was attentive. Cocktails were spot on. Very well done with great balance on everything we had, from mai tais to one-off martinis. Not crazy about the dining room style. Modern, but the faux wood makes it look like Ikea. Service was prompt, if not slightly overbearing from the waiter. Management was very friendly. Meal was ordered all at once and paced well. The bacon tasting was great. French onion soup was sweet, but very good. Flavor on the tri tip was great, but on a tougher cut, I'd prefer it sliced, as the steak was pretty clunky. Wife ordered the bolognese, which was good, but overly spicy. Wine list was reasonable and I liked the ipad menu. Easy to use.Special Features:
- Still trying to hit stride...GourmetGourmandVIPDined on 6/28/2014Our visit was a slight miss on many levels. The room is nice, but the tables wobble; There was ample staff, but they seem disorganized and service was unusually slow; The food was inconsistent; Yellowtail was delicious, but tomato and watermelon salad was under-seasoned and boring; Steak portions are large enough to share. The meat was served at the requested temp; it was tasty but over salted. Good bread and a nice crudité start, but the sides were in fact less memorable than they sounded on the menu; Bar drinks were also only OK, but we enjoyed the wine with dinner. Not inexpensive but promising. We will probably be back in 6 months hoping that the bugs will be worked out by then.
- Great servicenicknameVIPDined on 6/28/2014Alicia, our server, was amazing. We asked her so many questions about the interesting dishes and she was so patient with us. When she did not have an answer, she came back with the answer. The food and dishes were delicious. The pairings were great. Will go back for the rest of the dishes we wanted to try.Special Features:
- I would not recommend KnifeTolemacVIPDined on 6/27/2014The quality of the service and the people was absolutely great. But the quality of the food was absolutely terrible. My wife ordered the filet mignon Took one bite gagged on it and returned it. My ribeye steak was tasteless the fries were terrible and even the onion rings were blah. Needless to say I would not recommend it to anybody and I will not be returning.Special Features:
- not what we expectedScoopDined on 6/27/2014The Palomar is beautiful,great drive up appeal.Knife has a cool vibe. we loved the bar and the spacious seating area around the bar.Great place to have cocktails with a group of friends.As you enter the restaurant,you cant help but notice the totally cool patio.Words cannot describe..you have to check it out.The restaurant is way too expensive for the quality of food that you actually get!! The steaks are a fortune,and taste is not close to Dallas's top steak restaurants.$15 for a salad,that tasted ok.Service was good. If you are wanting a green vegetable to go along with your meal,this would not be the place for you! They do not have vegetables on the menu.Try the avacado french fries.Maybe they can tweak the menu..Special Features:
- Great food! Service needs workKelsieWDined on 6/26/2014I reserved a table for my husband and I on a Thursday night to celebrate his birthday (which I noted on OpenTable). When we arrived, exactly on time, the hostess said our table was not ready and sent us to the bar to wait. No apologies and no offer to buy us a drink while we waited. About 30 minutes later our table was finally ready and still no apologies. Our hostess simply said the kitchen was backed up. Our chop salads, Akaushi ribeye and dessert were all fabulous, though. They did offer my husband a cheesecake dessert for his birthday, but that was after I dropped a few hints that we were celebrating. I would recommend going elsewhere for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular all aroundChefktDined on 6/22/2014My husband and I had a rare night out without the kids and chose Knife to celebrate it. The menu had a much larger selection than I expected and everything sounded awesome. We ordered the pea shoot salad and it was seasoned perfectly. What could have been a boring plate of greens, ended up being a cutting edge star! The service was stellar. They were very attentive and passed the napkin test. My husband, inadvertantly dropped his napkin twice within minutes of each other and the staff was all over it. The sommelier was very helpful and the manager touched our table a couple times. I can't say enough about how wonderful the experience was. I am telling all my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DrFashionDined on 6/21/2014We started with the bacon tasting and it was delicious. Then we had the Niman ranch rib eye and were pleasantly surprised. Best steak we've ever eaten! The tempura avocado fries and creamed spinach were good too. Wish we had room for dessert, but that 28oz steak was pretty filling. Service was excellent, but the atmosphere was loud even though the restaurant wasn't completely full. Overall, wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous New RestaurantchichaVIPDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful service and delicious food.The best steak I have had . Very relaxed atmosphere,great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very interesting menuLDFalcoDined on 6/19/2014After reading online that Knife was rated to have one of the best burgers in the country and already having a business trip planned for Dallas, I made the reservation at Knife. My wife and I arrived and saw that the place was not so big. We were seated at a table that shared a large bench seat along one side and then a single chair on the opposite side of the table. The table was very wide and impossible to have an intimate or discreet conversation. The couple next to us tried their best to keep their conversation private, but with this type and width of table it was not possible. The menu is quite extensive and eclectic. Many items needed explanations from the waiter. The burgers we ate were very good. The salad as appetizers was great.Special Features:
- NonieDined on 6/17/2014We were ignored after being seated, others coming in after us receiving water, wine list, etc. but after husband complained to hostess all was fine. Our waitress was exceptional, food wonderful. Some portions way to large for us but spouse and I split some of smaller items.Special Features:
- DabrimjrDined on 6/17/2014Fantastic food and you will not leave hungry. My wife and I split the 44oz Ribeye and took most of it home. The bacon tasting is out of this world with the bacon jam! This is a nice restaurant with quality food so don't come looking for a bargain.Special Features:
- Best Hamburger in Dallas?BurgerVIPDined on 6/16/2014The hamburger section of the menu is interesting and I would return to try another variety. The burger I selected was served between an English muffin, which tells you about the serving size, perfect serving size. So I would call their burger, at least the version I had, inventive but not the best I ever had. The salsa verde tossed fries, not great, but love the onion rings as they are in a tempura state.Special Features:
- Just okLeenerTheLionDined on 6/16/2014For the prices this restaurant commands, our service was not very good. Our waitress did not know how some dishes were prepared. None of the servers seemed to be enjoying their jobs. I was excited to try Tesar's food. But it was just myeh. My husband's steak was prepared very well. He enjoyed it. It was his birthday. I don't eat meat, but he loves it. I had the pasta with truffles. It was good. I wanted to try the gulf shrimp, but the server couldn't tell me how it was prepared. The drinks were outstanding. The Palomar has always had great mixologists. We're not going back to Knife. The atmosphere was depressing.
- Excellent ExperiencelovefoodDined on 6/15/2014I really hope this restaurant does well. The complimentary crudite, bread, parting dessert plate all made the experience extra special. Truly the food was amazing - the beef tartare so delicious. Having just had steak the night before, we decided to share the chicken and mac and cheese - both were delicious and so enjoyable. The pretzel dessert is a must. Also if there are just two dining, sit at the chef's table - watch the action - it is fun and it makes you appreciate your meal so much more. Loved our waiter - he was incredible - picked us the perfect wine and made sure we were taken care of. Loved Knife!Special Features:
- KnifeIlovefoodDined on 6/15/2014I love the ambiance of restaurant. The waiters were absolutely amazing. I got the pigs head. It was not as much edible meat as I thought it was going to me. A lot of fat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencelivestoeatVIPDined on 6/14/2014Our second time was the proverbial charm. Outstanding sommelier. First I've met from Idaho . Interesting menu skewed toward carnivores. The tomato salad was perfect. Tuna tartare with truffles very nice. Meat had an excellent taste and cooked just as ordered. Desserts were different and fun. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- ConfusedGreggVIPDined on 6/14/2014Not sure how to rate. Menu was confusing as the lesser known cuts were not explained. The menu offered too many rib eyes and not one NY strip. The filet was only 8 ounce and very expensive. I ordered the 24 ounce sirloin which is too much food for one person and also expensive. To your credit all the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just an average steakhouseMeatloafVIPDined on 6/14/2014The restaurant is very unique and you will be hard pressed to find a restaurant like this in any of the major cities. It is not just another steak house. The cuts of meat are atypical and push the idea of modern cooking. We had a cut of meat that I can't even pronounce! It was cooked over fire and tasted incredible. The pork belly buns were exceptional also. Everything was top notch. I will definitely go back multiple times because the food was great and the choices were many. A fun menu that created conversation for us and the adjacent tables. There was a buzz in the air for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Burger I've eaten in Dallas!rolijo48Dined on 6/14/2014I selected "the magic" hamburger and it is by far the best burger I have eaten in Dallas! My husband selected the steak, either way you cannot lose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/13/2014Kinfe to steak is not what Spoon is to fish. Despite the hype and the fancy menu, the steaks here are fine, but no better than any other steak house. The prices for steak are consistant with other steak places, that is outlandish ($80.00 for a steak?). Non-steak dishes are overpriced, for example $40.00 for "hand-rolled penne" (looked like Kroger's to me), and $45.00 for a shrimp dish. Get a loan and go if you need to, but don't expect a steak that is better than, say, Dunstons.
- TesarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014John has done it again! He is the best Chef in Dallas and one of the best Chef's in the country. We are lucky to have him here in Dallas.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere, good barOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014Great bacon tasting and cocktails; not impressed by the new school steaks. Be aware that all of them are cooked over a wood fire, so they have a smoky flavor. When our entrees arrived, we placed a drink order that we never received, even though we also had dessert (the caramel pretzel, which was ok, not great). We enjoyed all of the extras, such as the crudite, bread service and m'aitre d's. Overall a mediocre food experience, but would return to try other items.Special Features:
- PriceyfoodieDined on 6/13/2014Most expensive steaks in Dallas. Great expense account place--if you're on one. $80 for the Niman Ranch ribeye! It was ok but Al's or Bob's or Capital Grille are better value and atmosphere. Also if you sit at the community tables with your back facing the kitchen you get to feel the heat from the grill which makes it kind of toasty. The avocado fries were good. Wedge was over dressed/drenched too heavy so go with the dressing on the side. I got the $40 long bone ribeye and split it. It was quite good and plenty for two. On a side note I really had a hard time getting a ressie there last two weekends I tried(all they has was a 6:30-Friday which I took) yet the place was still only half full when we left. Case of new restaurantitis.Special Features:
- Knife 06/11/2013 ReviewVendomerDined on 6/11/2014Knife is amazing but ironically inappropriately named. Their meats are so succulent and tender that you really don't need a knife to eat them! The restaurant lived up to all the hype surrounding its opening and not disappoint. The cuisine, service and ambience were outstanding, and my dining partner and I can't wait to come back! A crown jewel in Dallas' dining crown!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedsatnightdinerDined on 6/7/2014From reading about this restaurant, the steaks were lower end cuts and modestly priced. However, everything else seems expensive for a restaurant that looks more like a diner. The wedge was $15 (ouch) and we were told it would feed two. It was actually smaller than many wedge salads at other higher end steakhouses - and it was not special either. Wine by the glass was high, the waiter recommended one for $16. Now for the steaks - both our cuts had good flavor but were really tough. We were seated at a communal table even though I had made the reservation weeks ago. For our wedge salad, two glasses of ice tea (no I did not get the $16 glass) , two of the lower end steaks, carrots, onion rings and two coffees it was over
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014the waiter provided my four year with a gorgeous buttery penne that was not on the menu ( it was so lovely it should be !) We had a lovely birthday meal and they did a dessert with happy birthday on the plate.Special Features:
- Very NicepowerfilmVIPDined on 6/6/2014Only open for a couple of weeks so far. Wide variety of high quality meat based dinner options. Nice space. Good wine list and superb cocktails. Get a top quality burger for 12-15 bucks, or a 240 day dry aged ribeye for 80 bucks per inch. You control the bill. This is premium quality and service so expect a price point that is similar. A "modern" steakhouse.Special Features:
- Too far away7heavenDined on 6/5/2014Very loud, sat across the oversized table from my wife. It was too far for a conversation. Food was good but too unique. Not enough good old standby items.Special Features:
- InterestinglivestoeatVIPDined on 6/4/2014I know this place has great potential and I'm going to try again, but the first try left a bit to be desired. So I will post a review after the next try to be fair.I would recommend this to a friend.