321 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://barbettarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2122469171x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Hours of Operation: Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 12:00pm-2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 4:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Italian
- Executive Chef: Dream Team de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Entertainment: Pianist evenings from 6:00pm
A word from Barbetta Restaurant
Celebrating its 108th Year, Barbetta is the oldest restaurant in New York still owned by its founding family. Barbetta is also New York's oldest Italian restaurant and the oldest restaurant in the Theater District. This three-fold distinction has earned it landmark status by the Locali Storici d'Italia. In a glittering interior decorated with 18th century Italian antiques Barbetta serves the cuisine of Piemonte, Italy's northwestern most region. In summer, its exuberantly verdant garden with century-old trees and scented with the blooms of wisteria, oleander, jasmine and gardenia make it a most sought-after site for al fresco dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbetta Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (164)great for outdoor dining (154)special occasion (152)neighborhood gem (74)notable wine list (68)fit for foodies (62)great for lunch (57)good for groups (36)scenic view (28)great for brunch (19)late-night find (15)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Service was fast, almost tooOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008Service was fast, almost too fast. The main course came instantly after the appetizers.
- Our food was served in 1 minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008Our food was served in 1 minute which leads me to believe that most things are totally premade and waiting to go to the customer. Nothing was inedible but it wasn't good either. The room is tired looking - maybe it was beautiful once but that was a long time ago. It was very overpriced for what one got and I certainly wouldn't go there again or recommend it.
- We were not overly impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008We were not overly impressed with the Pre Theater food. Service was very good and atmosphere was nice.Special Features:
- Looks and feels and tastesEclecticGuyVIPDined on 5/1/2008Looks and feels and tastes suspiciously like a tourist trap.Special Features:
- I booked an early table, 5:30,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/29/2008I booked an early table, 5:30, so we wouldn't be rushed out for our 8 PM show. They were aware of our show time and that we weren't in a hurry. We were nothing but rushed the entire time. They practically threw the food at us. the appetizer was ok but the entree was dried out chicken which I had to send back, risotto which was soupy and could have come from a box and my husbands polenta was tasteless and soupy. I didn't like that we were forced to order from a prefixe menu when that was not mentioned either in Zagats or on their website. Obviously the food was pre-cooked. It was hands down the worst dining experience for that money I have ever had.
- Unfortunately, there wereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008Unfortunately, there were problems with the continually opening door to the garden area, which on that night was very cold. Repeated requests to close it resulted in no action and we had to change tables. One of the "historic" entrees we desired, wild hare (part of the current promotional anniversary menu), was not available. The special request for a birthday dessert was not observed at all. Throughout the meal, there was a pianist playing semi-classical music, very well, but creating too much volume for the room. Though the food quality was good, overall, the meal was way too expensive for the numerous flaws.
- Always curteous, even whenSPC4artDined on 4/26/2008Always curteous, even when we are rushing them to make a show!Special Features:
- Such a lovely restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/26/2008Such a lovely restaurant, especially wonderful because it was withing walking distance of the theater, so it REALLY took the pressure off of getting to our 8:00pm show. Outside dining was an unexpected treat. Food was beautifully presented - I would definitely recommend and return again.Special Features:
- Service was slow. We spentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/26/2008Service was slow. We spent 2 1/2 hours at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Our meal was delicious. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008Our meal was delicious. Service was very nice. The garden is delightful.Special Features:
- We had an amazing meal outsideBurbfoodieVIPDined on 4/25/2008We had an amazing meal outside in the garden. The food and service were superb.Special Features:
- A disappointment in the pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/23/2008A disappointment in the pre-theatre menu. Lunch menu is better.Special Features:
- Very much appreciated theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008Very much appreciated the wait staff seating us, as requested, in a somewhat secluded area. Expensive, otherwise a highlight evening.Special Features:
- I have eaten at Barbetta manyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2008I have eaten at Barbetta many times and have never been disappointed. The service is top-notch and the food wonderful. I highly recommend Barbetta for any occasion.Special Features:
- Good for pre-theater, we gotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2008Good for pre-theater, we got there at 7:00 and we were able to get out by 7:45 after full meal, ambiance is great, smaller portions, food selection not so good.Special Features:
- All was fine (service, food,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2008All was fine (service, food, etc). We are really looking forward to eating there again!Special Features:
- Lovely, if a bit worn, restaurant.MartinVIPDined on 4/11/2008Lovely, if a bit worn, restaurant. Food good and service fine. Bar at entrance and if patrons loud, as it was the night I was there, it can be annoying. Excellent pre theatre experience.Special Features:
- Most of the food was quiteMayraVIPDined on 4/10/2008Most of the food was quite good. My pasta starter with meat sauce was terrible. Was this canned sauce?? The chicken in pomegranite sauce was outstanding as was the choice of wines and dessert. Service was good and friendly.Special Features:
- The wine list was extenisveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008The wine list was extenisve but a bit expensive. More mid range choices would be nice. Also we were not aware we had to choose from a pre-theatre limited menu. It would have been nice to have had the ability to order whatever we wanted. With a 5:30 evening meal, it would have been nice to have had the option of lighter dining and not a full 3 course meal. The service was excellent and the downstairs dining room lovely. We were upstairs however and had a very unstable table that rocked uneasily when we moved. It made the meal seem precarious. I would recommend Barbetta, especially for regular dinner, not rushed pre theatre.Special Features:
- It is an old fashioned restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/4/2008It is an old fashioned restaurant that is a nice change from all of the hot spots that currently exist. It reminds me of when I would have a special meal with my family as a little girl. Great service and they got us out in plenty of time before the theatre.Special Features:
- We went for the pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2008We went for the pre-theatre fixed price menu and the food and service were outstanding. The biggest wine list I have ever seen for those who want to go off the $25-$50 wine list for theatre-goers. The garden in back is a must for those who want a special experience when the weather is right. Can't wait to go back and use the full menu. The way we were treated, you would have thought we were "regulars".Special Features:
- Service..Excellent; Ambiance....GreOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/3/2008Service..Excellent; Ambiance....Great; Disappointed that two (2) desired menu items were already gone.Special Features:
- I absolutely loved the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2008I absolutely loved the atmosphere created by the staff and decor of the restaurant. The staff were both professional and very pleasant. Not forgetting the food was delicious and served quite quickly! Have recommened Barbetta to my Parents who will visit the city in October. All the best, Sarah WoodsSpecial Features:
- We think this is a very romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2008We think this is a very romantic restaurant -- in fact, this was our second visit there, and we went specifically to celebrate our engagement. Both times we've gone after the theater rush (~8) and it's been relatively empty, quiet, and peaceful. Big beautiful dining room that doesn't feel like you're on restaurant row in Manhattan at all. Elegant, good food, and a very good find all together -- not too expensive, as better restaurants go. We like it a lot!Special Features:
- over 100 years old and stillOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/29/2008over 100 years old and still going strong! The room, the service, the food, the whole dining experience is so outstanding you'd think you were in another time or place. What more can I say?Special Features:
- Great for pretheatre dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/28/2008Great for pretheatre dining. Lovely setting, convenient location. Staff is very attentive and knows how to keep you from missing "the curtain".
- Barbetta has continued toSusieDined on 3/26/2008Barbetta has continued to provide superb food and service in all the years I have been dining there - almost 40 years. The great thing is that it is in the theater district so we get a twofer.Special Features:
- Food and service are terrific.CacsVIPDined on 3/22/2008Food and service are terrific. The garden is lovely when the weather's warm. A great pre-theater place!Special Features:
- Great for pre-theater (especiallyLove2DineVIPDined on 3/21/2008Great for pre-theater (especially for out of town guests to see old NY Italian).
- Mechanical service and attention.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/21/2007Mechanical service and attention. Uninspiring food and presentation and services. Quite ordinary.
- This place has declined terribly.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/8/2007This place has declined terribly. We had horrible service from a young man who knew nothing about the menu, had a cold and wiped his nose on his sleeve. Ugh...
- Pricey, bustling, old-fashionedRCSEsqVIPDined on 12/8/2007Pricey, bustling, old-fashioned Italian restaurant. If you're loaded you won't be disappointed. Fine choice before hitting a show. Servers were attentive but a bit too pushy. Piano music makes for a delightful visit.Special Features:
- Have had much better mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/29/2007Have had much better meals at this restaurant. Must have hit a bad night. Outside dining area is fabulous. Sorry that we had a bad food experience. Will think twice before going back.Special Features:
- Actually sat outside on thisOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2007Actually sat outside on this visit. For the indoor lunch it was quiet the the room is beautiful. For this particular visit I sat outside where there was a more party-like atmosphere but very enjoyable - even a singer serenading a birthday girl. I did not particularly like the meat dish with a vodka sauce. I'm still not sure what kind of meat it was. I believe they consider it one of their signature dishes. I have had other meals at this restaurant that were more enjoyable. I had problems getting my Open Table points even though I mentioned Open Table when I entered the restaurant.Special Features:
- The evening started off wellOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/19/2007The evening started off well and the food was fantastic. Only towards the end of the main course the staff decided they all wanted to go home!! It was only 9.45pm and as wife and I were celebrating and having a romantic night out, we had ordered fine wine which the waiter had de-cantered earlier. Then the waitress started to clear up around us huffing and puffing as if to say clear off! We then had a waiter pour all the wine from our decanter in to both our glasses full to the brim. For the next half hour their was silence, not a member of staff could be seen! We could not order desert or coffee? So i walked to the reception and found somone sitting on a chair and he tried to hide! Anyway to cut to the chase, it took an hour for coSpecial Features:
- From the uneccesarily pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/2/2006From the uneccesarily pretentious greeting to the ridiculously overdone dining room to the overpriced (and wrong) bottle of wine to the disgusting food, Barbetta is absolutely the worse dining experience I have ever had. The food is inedible--over or under cooked and seasoned/sauced within an inch of its life. The service is haughty for no reason and when we asked for another bottle of wine b/c they had brough the wrong one, we were reprimanded.