California Cafe - Los Gatos
50 University Avenue
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
California Cafe - Los Gatos
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.californiacafe.com/losgatos/index.php
- Phone: 4083548118x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am – 5:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm – 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
Every Day 3:00pm-6:00pm *3-4-5 Happy Hour not available Holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Leo Lopez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from California Cafe - Los Gatos
Located in charming Old Town, California Cafe offers an escape from the outside world. We feed the senses - California style - through our chef-driven creations, engaging service, and relaxing ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
California Cafe - Los Gatos - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
California Cafe - Los Gatos reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (48)great for outdoor dining (48)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (36)special occasion (35)scenic view (28)great for brunch (27)fit for foodies (23)romantic (12)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- I do not intend to return.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/13/2014I do not intend to return. Service was slow and disorganized from beginning to end. We waited about ten minutes for someone to seat us (There was no one in front of us and the restaurant was half empty.) Service was horrible - was had to ask twice for drinks we had ordered. Food service was slow and appeared disorganized with no waiter responsible for our table for the entire meal and staff was inattentive for long periods of time.In addition, I had requested a quiet table when I made the reservation. We were seated in the middle of the dining room next to a very loud party. A thoroughly unpleasant experience - not caused by a particular waiter of staff person but by overall mismanagement of the restaurant.
- DisappointedVisit2MilwaukeeVIPDined on 4/12/2014I've eaten here many times. The food is typically good so I do keep coming back. BUT this time, service was incredibly slow and poor. The waiter didn't seem to care to try to serve us. Food was subpar. My poke was all avocado with a few pieces of ahi mixed in--really should have been listed as a vegetarian dish. The parsnips side dish were VERY greasy. The Spring pea soup, I was told was tasty, but overall a disappointing night at California Cafe
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Hi. I Want to thank you guys for a memorable night that we had at your reesturant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place with good food, but.....UncandidDined on 4/11/2014The food was good, the place was nice but the service was so slow. It wasn't even very busy, it took 10min initially to get our water, longer to get our drinks. The one dessert were order took about 20min to get. Also the waitess didn't check in us as much as we'd usually be waited onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumJulieYVIPDined on 4/7/2014Kale salad with chicken, apples, parmesan, lemon vinaigrette was delish!!!Special Features:
- we have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014we have been to this restaurant before and theservice, and food are consistently impressive! Very comfortable atmosphere, tables are not crammed together, wait staff is wonderful and food is delicious and presented beautifully.Special Features:
- Not up to its usual standardfamilydinneroutVIPDined on 4/4/2014I think they were having a bad day. The food and service is usually quite good, but both seemed "off" this day. Given my past experience with California Cafe, I will definitely give them another chance.
- Birthday Lunch AffairNotImpressedDined on 4/1/2014Everything about the experience was fine. Nothing stood out as stellar. Our server was nice and helpful. The food was slightly overpriced for the quality, portions, and service.
- Extremely accomodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/28/2014I had a reservation for 12 and 16 guests turned up. They re-arranged another table for us within minutes. They offer a great menu and are happy to prepare any meal for the gluten free folks! Will be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and kid friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/23/2014Celebrated husbands birthday here with our 2 boys, ages 4 and 1. Very friendly staff, friendly patrons and no one rolled their eyes at us when the kids threw food on the floor. It was relaxed and happy environment which made our meal that much better cuz we didn't have to worry about other people being annoyed with our kids. On top of that, they had a great wine/cocktail list, great seasonal food and a fabulous kids bento box for only $5.50! No it's not a Michellin star restaurant but it is solid. Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be better!Foodie4VIPDined on 3/21/2014Decided to give CA Cafe another try; place looked nice with recent remodeling. Food is just OK which makes the relatively high prices difficult to take. Servers are friendly but pace is too slow. Also, the bartender really messed up a Manhattan- twice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stowaway in my saladDatenightDined on 3/21/2014There was a caterpillar in my salad. Yuck. Salad was comp'd, but service was disjointed and we were overcharged on our bill. This had been my favorite restaurant, but this situation was handled badlySpecial Features:
- change for the worse at CCsoftserveDined on 3/15/2014We have been going to California Café for years and planned a special dinner with friends but were disappointed on many levels. The food was over salted and slow to arrive and they were playing "mall music" really loud in the restaurant. Sorry to say I don't recommend this restaurant any more and won't be going back.
- Brunch very tastyJJCnJACVIPDined on 3/15/2014We usually dine here for dinner, this time we came for a late brunch. Food still just a good - I had selections from the trio (Cafe Benedict, spinach and chard and my wife had the breakfast burrito. As the weather gets better everyone wants to sit outside so there was a wait for that, but we only had to wait about 5 minutes to get seated inside. Chef Leo continues to keep a watchful eye on the plate and the front of house staff was busy but efficient. Always happy to come back to CCLG and looking forward to Silicon Valley Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- DisappointedCoco2dineDined on 3/12/2014I usually have lunch at California Café and their menu is very diverse in prices and type of food. I expected the same type of menu for dinner and to my disappointment I found the menu with low varieties of food and the prices were sky rocketing, Iwe didn't expect to see these types of pricing. Lunches offer you so many choices....I might try again for lunch but definitely not for dinner. Other than this the ambiance was as usual very nice and the service impeccable.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 3/7/2014We took our family of 5 for a birthday lunch. My daughters salad had such poor limpy lettuce, it didn't even look fresh. My husbands fish was dry,and the cole slaw was not even edible. Our son in laws pizza was only fair, so that he didn't even finish it. My granddaughter and I had grilled chicken sandwiches that were OK. Since all the food was of such poor quality, we saw no reason to send it back as we would probably just get the same. Normally we would go to your California Cafe at Stanford, but that has closed, and now we understand why. Chances are we will not return to your restaurant nor recommend it to our family and friends.
- Julie Okashima is phenomenalOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/5/2014The events manage Julie Okashima is an amazing host and really knows her stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California Cafe Los Gatos, superLittleNancyVIPDined on 2/25/2014We took advantage of the beautiful day before the rain arrived. A nice drive from the northern peninsula avoided the commuter traffic by having lunch. We were greeted and immediately seated, our beverage order was taken and shortly after we ordered our entrees. I had the fish tacos and my husband had an enormous hamburger. We each enjoyed our meals, very delicious and nicely plated. The manager, Andre visited our table and made sure everything was fine. We enjoyed a nice conversation and he was very gracious. You couldn't help but notice he was watching his staff like a conductor, making sure all went well at the California Cafe. We will definitely return, the restaurant is located in-between some of my favorite stores.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/23/2014We've been coming to California Café for several years, to celebrate birthday brunches. The menu and food selection has degraded significantly over that time. For instance, the Eggs Los Gatos used to be like Eggs Benedict, with a crab cake and hollandaise over an English muffin. Now it's just a mostly filler crab cake. Several entrees have disappeared.Special Features:
- Had a Great MealChiefVIPDined on 2/22/2014We've been to California Café several times. Often we go there because we can get a last minute reservation when other places are booked on a weekend. The food is always good, but pricey. The place gets a little loud when it fills up. What set this visit apart was the service. The waiter was very helpful in our wine selection, which really got the meal off to a great start. And then he had the right balance of being present when we needed him without being intrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bartender, the dr?!EatandConfessVIPDined on 2/22/2014I was super hungover and I am so sorry I didn't get his name, but I asked for something that would help me with my stomach and WOW, it was the perfect concoction of sprite/lemons and salt. It was so delicious and helped my stomach immensely! I was able to eat all my food and enjoyed it! I had the tortilla soup and it was delicious, the complimentary selections of the baked goods is always one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- prices out of whack, veggies ?GunnyDined on 2/21/2014Paid $8.50 for a cosmo but $9.00 for a well vodka martini. Explanation for martini was "2 liquors" No exlanation why cosmo was less, it having two liquors plus cranberry juice. Brussel sprout were bitter and tough, spinach OK only if you love a lot of garlic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, consistent good foodCharlesDined on 2/21/2014Been here only for lunch but never disappointed. Food, service, and location are all good, with only mitigating factor is the appalling parking that afflicts all Los Gatos businesses.Special Features:
- 5 star date nightCarolCVIPDined on 2/20/2014My husband has few 5* dining experiences, but this was 1. The exec chef presented an amuse bouche of house cured salmon/blood orange--fab. Complimentary champagne was thoughtful. Split a caesar, asked for balsamic sub, which they didn't have. The sherry vinegarette offered was great. Hubby's rib-eye cooked perfectly; delicious. I'd had the best oven roasted salmon at lunch in Dec--it tasted poached, not roasted. Again I asked it to be cooked thru. This time,almost overdone; crusty sear had to be removed. A completely different dish.I'd give it 8; the Dec dish an 11. I wasn't crazy about the red pepper coulis, almost bitter. Apple/pear galette yummy.. Oh and the bread and tapenade/oilve oil--sinful. Overall, lovely meal for a date night.Special Features:
- Fabulous for LunchTommyDined on 2/20/2014Great ambience, In and out in an hour and 15 minutes. Perfect for lunch meeting, Noise level is low enough where you can actually hear what is being said. Service and food is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/19/2014I had a business lunch this week and chose California Cafe. The ambiance was good, the noise level low and the service super. The waiter was discreet in giving me the check. The food was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- California Cafe always deliversSlowRunnerDined on 2/17/2014California Cafe always delivers consistently. Food is very good, the menu changes periodically, so there are always surprises. Service is very good, noise is moderate. Prices are somewhat expensive, but not too much.Special Features:
- Very Good Dining experienceMartyFDined on 2/16/2014After our last dinner at California Café, we reported a less than stellar performance, by both the kitchen and our server. Our food was disappointing and service poor. I replied to Open Table's request for review; and a short while later received an email from the GM and Head Chef offering their apologies along with an invitation to return as their guests for a special chef's menu dining experience. Well... they did not disappoint. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the service was superb. Cannot ask for more than that. Indeed, it was an unexpected and very gracious offer to restore our faith in one of our favorite restaurants in town; especially in this day and age when good customer service has become a rarity. Thank you !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calif. Cafe Los GatosRaymondDined on 2/16/2014The food was excellent and delicious. The atmosphere was very nice. My wife and I enjoyed the meal. The service was very good despite the restaurant was very busy. Even after a full meal we were able to finish of the dessert, Butterscotch bread pudding. We will come back again to try different dishes, and definitely the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs an upgradeEatsoutoftenDined on 2/16/2014Nice staff, slow service and cooking that simply doesn't measure up to Bay Area standards. The cheese plate was really nice, however. Sad in such a pretty location.
- DisappointedCindy51Dined on 2/16/2014I took my family visiting from out of town here for a nice dinner. I've been to California Cafe before and usually had a great experience, but unfortunately this time was a major fail! The food was really bad to the point that I was embarrassed I took my family there. They changed their menue and the selection was very limited. We ordered the roasted chicken and it was literally just that, plain roasted chicken in the middle of the plate. We ordered a seafood pasta which they were out of shrimp so we got chicken instead and it was so bland and tasteless and the chicken was dry. It was a plate full if angel hair pasta with no sauce and chicken breast. To finish it, our waiter lost my credit card until another waiter found it.Special Features:
- Always a GemLindyDined on 2/15/2014I am never disappointed with California Cafe in Los Gatos. Its fun at all times of the day. Food is great and so is the service. You dog is welcome on patio dining and they even bring water for pooch. Parking is right in front. Great for the whole family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Day after Valentines DayJJCnJACVIPDined on 2/15/2014It was an intelligent move to feature the Valentines Day menu again on the day after Valentines Day. This saturday night the house was PACKED with a special event in the back and a full house out front. Chef Leo was rocking out the food, owning the plate and keeping quality high during the food preparation and serving frenzy. Wait staff did good job but forgot to box the wife's pork chop. She really wanted that remainder the next day because the chop was tasty, cooked perfectly and presented with creamy grits that were divine. The swordfish was really good and as all consumers note the butterscotch bread pudding is not to be missed for dessert. We both opened with the beet salad, it was very good.Special Features:
- Valentine's Delight/DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2014My wife was thrilled when I told her I made a reservation at California Cafe for Valentine's Day. We both love their food, and the Prix Fixe was very reasonably priced relative to some other VD meals we have had. The food lived up to our expectations. We ordered lobster bisque and crab salad, rack of lamb and filet mignon. The wine pairings were excellent. Unfortunately the service was very disappointing. We had to ask for a spoon for the bisque, and were completely abandoned for at least 20 minutes following dessert. In addition, our amuse bouche plates remained on the table until the very end. While VD may be a time in which service may drop a notch, only the amazing food prevented this experience from being a total disaster.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingJHCHOWDined on 2/14/2014We made dinner reservation 5:30 pm on valentine day 2 weeks ahead. When we arrived the restaurant, the hostess assigned us to a "meeting room like" overflow room in the back. It was empty, with no decoration, while the couples in front and behind us were escorted to the main dinning room. We were very surprised and uncomfortable with this treatment given that we were nicely dressed and with reservation. The waiter moved us to the main dinning room after we expressed our concern. I looked around the main dinning room, there were plenty rooms, we had our advance reservation, dressed nicely... We certainly don't see any reason we should be treated differently, we hope it's not because we are Asians.
- excellent Valentines Day lunchfavspotDined on 2/14/2014Had excellent service and a fresh, creative food offering despite a verry busy lunchtime crowd. My guest was a first time diner and this place did not let me down. This will continue to be my fav Los Gatos spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day!sallyDined on 2/14/2014This is our favorite place on Valentines Day to have lunch! We were not disappointed. Food was good. Service was good even tho it was Valentines Day, and it was very crowded. Our waitress is very good at her job. So all in all I have no complaints. Day was enjoyable! Sally U.Special Features:
- My last visit . . .mackenziezDined on 2/12/2014It would have been nice to have been told when the hostess called this afternoon to confirm my reservation that they were expecting a large crowd of people who would be whooping and hollering with a microphone throughout our dinner. When I (thoughtfully?) called to tell the hostess we were running 15 minutes late because of traffic, she made sure to tell me we had to be done with our meal by 7:30. My soup arrived slopped all over the saucer -- no offer to replace it. The carrots were just this side of raw on the entree, and we stared down by the hostess starting at 7:15. Tonight's dinner will be my last visit to California Cafe.
- Enjoyable dining!sallyDined on 2/12/2014I was there with three of my lady friends for lunch. I like the ambiance of the restaurant,and so do my friends. That is one of the reasons we went there. I also like the brightness of the windowed room. Nice atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prices outpacing QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/10/2014Over the years, the crab melt -- a California Cafe classic -- has dwindled in size to a 4 bite appetizer, priced at $19.75. Really? I stopped dining here at dinner due to the price/quality differential, compared to other restaurants nearby in Los Gatos; now they've lost me at lunch, as well. I actually had to eat a second lunch once I returned home.