California Cafe - Los Gatos
50 University Avenue
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
California Cafe - Los Gatos
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.californiacafe.com/losgatos/index.php
- Phone: 4083548118x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am – 5:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm – 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
Every Day 3:00pm-6:00pm *3-4-5 Happy Hour not available Holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Leo Lopez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from California Cafe - Los Gatos
Located in charming Old Town, California Cafe offers an escape from the outside world. We feed the senses - California style - through our chef-driven creations, engaging service, and relaxing ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
California Cafe - Los Gatos - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
California Cafe - Los Gatos reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (52)great for lunch (51)special occasion (38)neighborhood gem (37)good for groups (36)scenic view (31)great for brunch (30)fit for foodies (22)romantic (13)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Disappointing BrunchMarshgirl1VIPDined on 6/21/2014I have been wanting to try brunch here for a long time. I ordered brioche French toast that was supposed to come with apple sausage, strawberries, chocolate chips, & strawberry purée. I asked the waiter to leave off the chocolate chips as they were too sweet. When he brought me the brioche French toast it was completely plain. He brought a little cup of strawberry purée on the side. There were no sliced strawberries & no apple sausage, but there was 2 pieces of barely cooked bacon on the plate. I asked where the apple sausage was and he said the menu was wrong, but he would get me some. He never did. The French toast was very dry and over cooked. I was very disappointed. I expected better food. At least my husband liked his shrimp pasta.Special Features:
- VecinoDined on 6/15/2014Average! Bartender in a hurry. Did not listen for my entire order. Second one handed me a bill for 1st drink before it was even made by the 1st one. "Here's your hat what's your hurry?"Special Features:
- Server very average this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014We liked the food and the outdoor ambience. We need our main waiter to be more attentive and present the meal with more enthusiasm. For example, this time we were not asked if we wanted to order drinks prior to ordering dinner and the specials menu didn't make it to our table or was described. Cal Cafe sits in the middle of strong competition in Los Gatos and we expect a higher level of service - dining out is an experience after all.Special Features:
- Awful ServiceAlg1913Dined on 6/15/2014The waiter took 10 minutes before taking our drink order. We waited another 20 minutes before the meal order was taken. It took about an hour before the meals were served. My trio brunch arrived without the bacon, which the waiter said would be up in a few minutes. A gentleman (manager?) came by 10 minutes and let me know that the bacon was "next up." The bacon was delivered approximately 20 minutes later. The other trio brunch arrived with a ceasar salad, but the waiter did not offer parmesan cheese or to grind black pepper. Another guest requested a coffee refill, and was told by the waiter that he was "brewing a fresh pot." He requested two other times before getting his first refill. Everything arrived late.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceHungryDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014Food was tasty and our seating outside was perfect. Our server was pleasant and cheerful with a smile on his face the the entire time. The only small detracting detail were several dirty plates: food that wasn't ours smeared on the side on one and dried on smudges on several others. Since they were very busy and everything else was great I was able to overlook it. We did order the steak on our salad well-done and it came visibly medium-rare, and the wait between items was rather long but I'd definitely come back again because overall i enjoyed myself.Special Features:
- Fathers Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Service was horrible we were a table of4 and waited over an hour for our food even though the waiter kept telling us our food was almost out. Then the manager told us the steak salad which was the delay would be taken off bill; it wasn't and too hard to get anyones attention. Finally paid cash and left a $3.00 tip which we never do since we usually tip 20% and the waiter came out and confronted my husband. Very embarrassing for my elderly father but it was terrible service. Others who came after us were served food way before us. Not going back.
- Graduation dinnerMaryCDined on 6/14/2014From the moment we were so graciously welcomed until the end, our group thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Members in our party ordered the salmon, angus ribeye, grilled asparagus salad, ravioli, capellini & prawns, and a few share platters that were all fabulous. Thank you for the wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Lunchrun2eatDined on 6/14/2014I've always had a great meal and service here. Today, we had a very nice waiter but table service was very poor. They had no wine chiller, although we bought two bottles. Water refill never came unless we asked, which was surprising. The worst thing was that we were next to a large family that left early on to our meal, but the table was never cleaned off. They had about 6 plastic kid drinks, and all the food just sat there. Very discouraging for a place I enjoy going. Everything else was great. The food, the most important, was fantastic as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarydinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Made our anniversary special. Exemplary service. Special considerations. Much appreciated.Special Features:
- Our experience on Grad night!hoomskyDined on 6/6/2014We arrived right at our reservation time, and had to wait another half hour before being seated. The waiter was at first non existent. Then he slowly showed up after 15 minutes. The food was OK but the half chicken was very dry and tasteless. THe Salmons were good though. Overall not a bad dinner, but nothing to write home about. This was for may daughter's graduation after the ceremonies at the High School. I think they were just too overwhelmed by the many graduating parties that all showed up at the same time. They just couldn't handle it....Special Features:
- Not going backDadoftwinzcaVIPDined on 6/2/2014Tried ca cafe for the first time in about 6 or 8 months (we used to be regulars). As always, service was SLOW, food was mediocre at best & some was just downright badm we spent over 2 hours there for lunch (3 adults, 4 kids). They messed up 3 out of our 7 orders, which caused further delay. NOT going backSpecial Features:
- Excellent as usual!ShaunDined on 5/31/2014Food was great, service was superb as well. Milan, our server, was awesomeSpecial Features:
- change of ownershipWGfoodieVIPDined on 5/29/2014Not sure what's happened here but the quality of food and service has gone down. We ordered the cheese and meat appetizer and they could have used 1/2 the board to plate it. The swordfish was so dry and this place has really pay is value for the money as well as a long time customer.
- Great Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/25/2014We treated ourselves to a nice dinner and couldn't have been happier. The service was excellent and the food was wonderful. We really enjoyed the potstickers starter and the green pea soup was delicious. All entrees were prepared very well - Filet mignon, Salmon and Pork chop was cooked to perfection and moist! The bread pudding is a MUST! A great evening with great food. Definitely would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 5/25/2014So disappointed with the experience in celebrating our friend's 60th birthday. You were out of many of the special brunch cocktails, the service was so slow and we had to physically track down our waiter a number of times. 2 of us ordered the fruit/granola/yogurt and could not find any yogurt. Had to ask for an extra serving and even with that, we received a saucer of it. The melon was hard as a rock and there was 1 strawberry sliced into 7 pieces that made up the fruit. Maybe 1 TBSP of granola. How frustrating. Had to eat another meal when I left. Sign on the door stated you were changing ownership. Maybe with new management things will improve.Special Features:
- The following 1407 reviews are from the California Cafe - Los Gatos reviews archive.
- WaningWorldDinerDined on 5/18/2014We have always enjoyed California Cafe in Los Gatos. However, it seems to be waning from its much better past days. The items on the menu sound creative but when tasted they are not as good as they sound. Everything seems to be more spicy. The help seems to be a bit confused. We had a kind waiter remove our wine glasses instead of checking that our wine bottle still had wine in it. We have had funny delays. Seems like they are in transition. Still a nice setting. They still have interesting dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day Shockrun2eatDined on 5/11/2014Our family of four had a Mothers Day dinner at this established Los Gatos eatery. I was disappointed upon arrival to discover that the restaurant was only offering a special limited menu for the day. We all managed to find selections. It took our waitress 20 min to deliver one draft beer, one cocktail and one sparkling water. No excuse for such a long wait. Second disappointment was appetizers. Two of use had the crab cakes, which they are known for. We received one cake per person about the size of a hockey puck. The cakes were dry, salty and lacking in crab. The entrees were very good, Swordfish, Bass and Petite Filet. For $48 pp excluding tax and tip the meal was over priced,
- Missed the mark.RickandBrendaDined on 5/11/2014While the service and main course where excellent, the starters and dessert lacked key ingredients, completeness, and imagination to make this dinner exciting. My wife's salad consisted of only spinach with no dressing (!) and only a small piece of goat cheese. The dessert portion was incomplete and not in line with the description provided on the menu. We last dined at California Cafe on New Year's Eve. The dinner was top notch. This Mother's Day experience was very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mothrrs day disappointmentMSsueDined on 5/11/2014Dinner D - . Fish, tasteless, dessert soggy mess. Children's dinner,buffet price too high. Wait staff overwhelmedSpecial Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/11/2014Pre-fix pricey 3 course menu almost entirely of fish choices. Why? Service was extremely slow. Server had no idea what course we were on and did not stop by to ask. We waited a long from the 1st to the 2nd course. Food brought out incorrectly and cold. Potatoes were clearly frozen and not fresh. Overly crowded with people constantly bumping into our chairs. We were told the kitchen was backed up...really?? I wonder why??!?! You are understaffed for this day and overly packed. Noise level "Energetic" is not positive in this case. Even with a reservation we waited about 25 minutes just to get seated. Unpleasant Mother's Day experience and no one at our table ever wants to go back.
- Poor service againCarolCVIPDined on 5/10/2014Although the food is generally good, service has been spotty this past year and the Sat. before Mother's Day was no exception. We arrived early for our OT reservation & chose to wait for a patio table. The host let us sit invisible in the bar past our reservation time--forgot about us, it seemed--'til we went to ask & got seated. We ordered salads. Never got bread. Every other table had a little bread basket, but not ours. Wait staff failed to check in during meal and we waited and waited for a check. I'm not sure why this venerable restaurant's service has fallen so low, but it's the difference between a 4 or 5 star experience and just 'meh'.Special Features:
- Perfect for familiesBuffyDined on 5/9/2014I like the wine list, but most appreciate this as a place I can bring my family. The kids menu is healthy, and fun as its served in a bento box. The staff always offers to bring the kids food first and are welcoming to the kids which is very important to me. I want my kids to enjoy good food and have it be as healthy as when they are at home. I think the restaurant setup allows the kids to not interfere with other diners and appreciate that I don't notice the other kid diners.Special Features:
- Overall fine dinnerFastRandyDined on 5/9/2014Food was good. Wine list has changed...harder to find something we liked.Special Features:
- SVRW Day 1 - CCLGJJCnJACVIPDined on 4/30/2014Kicking off Silicon Valley Restaurant week with the California Cafe was a great idea! The black bean and bacon soup was a superior starter - rich and thick and not overpoweringly bacon-y. The Ravioli was really tasty and creatively presented and the Mahi with pineapple salsa was done very nicely and as requested. Chef Krist was on top of his game on a pretty busy Wednesday night getting consistent execution and fast timing from the entire line. Very nice, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coasting in Los GatosanatoleDined on 4/27/2014California Café continues to offer a pleasant venue for a meeting with friends. Perhaps, it is a special place for families or for those who don't get out much. The food is not as innovative as the menu writer seems to believe. The cooks are not exerting themselves. Our waiter was pleasant and seemed to enjoy his restful evening. Who thought bread pudding should be a shared dessert? This could be a much sharper operation without too much effort.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cal cafeDinnerVIPDined on 4/26/2014Hostess did not make you feel welcome at all. Asked for a table by the window which were mostly empty. Was told they were reserved. Two hours later they were still empty
- Nice NightluvlosgatosDined on 4/26/2014California Cafe is my most favorite restaurants. The food is always good, the waiters/waitresses are always friendly, and the price is right. I don't have to drive far to get there and Los Gatos is such a favorite town of mine. The view of the old sycamore trees is beautiful. We even bought the rewards card bc we know we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my ususual experienceMaggieVIPDined on 4/25/2014I am actually disappointed to be writing this review. I have been here 5-10 times and have always had good service and a good meal; but my last experience was disappointing. I took my mom & aunt to a early Mothers Day lunch on a Friday; while the table we had was next to the window and had a great view, and the service was good, the food was a disappointment. We always order the calamari and it was half decent, but definitely not great like I am used to. I ordered the fish taco's which arrived cold and completely flavorless. My mom ordered the prawn pasta which was beautiful to the eye but she said was plain and lacking any flavor. Overall, disappointing experience since my expectations are high.Special Features:
- Outdated and Lacking in ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2014My friend and I were seated. It was at least 10 minutes before our waiter acknowledged us. When he did arrive, he assisted us in selecting a cocktail. Appetizers arrived all at once. Ahi poke was stacked a la 80's and had wonton chips on top. The ahi was not fresh and lacked any flavor whatsoever. 2 of 3 oysters were "funky" tasting. The pea soup with mint was quite nice. Our waiter left; when he returned it was clear he'd just gone out for a smoke, as you could easily smell it on him. We went into the bar after dinner and the bartender was very inattentive, so we just left. California Cafe used to be a great restaurant but with the lousy service and mediocre food, I won't be back, especially with so many better offerings in Los Gatos.
- Not so greatDisappointedDined on 4/21/2014Honestly, I haven't been to this restaurant in several years and I think it will be several more before I return. I had lunch there last week with two friends (one of whom was having a birthday) and I didn't find the food very impressive. Two of us ordered the TRIO. The chicken in my penne pasta was slightly undercooked/raw. So, I asked the very nice and attentive server if the chef could put the piece of chicken back on the grill for a minute. He returned with several pieces of thin, very dry chicken. Very disappointing. Our other friend ordered the chicken salad and it looked like it was all greens and no chicken. The lunch prices certainly seem to promise better food results than we experienced.
- Easter Brunch ExcellenceOldTownCafeDined on 4/20/2014Great Brunch selections, perfect for celebrating special events and Holidays. Service is friendly and well organized, reservations recommended on popular Holidays. California Cafe is set up to accommodate large groups and there is a small outdoor space with umbrellas overlooking the old town square Oak Trees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Very expensive for the food provided. Food quality and portions were not as expected. I have been to this restaurant MANY times in the past and was shocked that the quality was quite low on this visit. I will not re-visit this venue for special/holiday occasions.
- LunchSuperbDined on 4/19/2014Excellent service, great mimosas, and great price on the kid's meal! Great view from the window of some greenery and nice ambience. Three of us had the fish tacos which were very fresh, but unfortunately missing some pizazze; just very bland and dry. Could have used more sauce and/or a more flavorful sauce. We enjoyed the muffins that were served because it was also brunch time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2014Fabulous food. We had the pot sticker appetizer which was great. Caesar salad was crisp and dressed enough to be flavorful but not soaked. High quality, fresh anchovies on the salad is so good! The lamb bolganese had house made pasta that was exceptional. The prawns with pesto linguini was also really good. The prawns were cooked to perfection. I had forgotten just how good their food is. I'll em remember now and be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotFriendDined on 4/16/2014Always excellent and interesting. Various food items for all tastes and budgets. Great service. Looking forward to next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I do not intend to return.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/13/2014I do not intend to return. Service was slow and disorganized from beginning to end. We waited about ten minutes for someone to seat us (There was no one in front of us and the restaurant was half empty.) Service was horrible - was had to ask twice for drinks we had ordered. Food service was slow and appeared disorganized with no waiter responsible for our table for the entire meal and staff was inattentive for long periods of time.In addition, I had requested a quiet table when I made the reservation. We were seated in the middle of the dining room next to a very loud party. A thoroughly unpleasant experience - not caused by a particular waiter of staff person but by overall mismanagement of the restaurant.
- DisappointedVisit2MilwaukeeVIPDined on 4/12/2014I've eaten here many times. The food is typically good so I do keep coming back. BUT this time, service was incredibly slow and poor. The waiter didn't seem to care to try to serve us. Food was subpar. My poke was all avocado with a few pieces of ahi mixed in--really should have been listed as a vegetarian dish. The parsnips side dish were VERY greasy. The Spring pea soup, I was told was tasty, but overall a disappointing night at California Cafe
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Hi. I Want to thank you guys for a memorable night that we had at your reesturant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place with good food, but.....UncandidDined on 4/11/2014The food was good, the place was nice but the service was so slow. It wasn't even very busy, it took 10min initially to get our water, longer to get our drinks. The one dessert were order took about 20min to get. Also the waitess didn't check in us as much as we'd usually be waited onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumJulieYVIPDined on 4/7/2014Kale salad with chicken, apples, parmesan, lemon vinaigrette was delish!!!Special Features: