1166 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://oishiiboston.com/
- Phone: 6174828868
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday : 12:00pm - 3:00pm Sunday Brunch : 11:00am - 5:00pm Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ting San
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties of 12-35 guests. We create special menus designed by Chef Ting for larger parties. We look forward to hosting your party!
- Private Party Contact: Vicky Hong 6174828868
A word from Oishii Boston
Oishii Boston located in the South End SOWA district, the most artistic area in Boston. Oishii Boston is devoted to providing the most wonderful dining experience to every customer. Chef Ting San is dedicated to combining every dish with the freshest ingredients and creativity, to transform a dish into a work of art. We want our customers to have a fabulous dining experience for all occasions. We serve the most delicate wine and sake in our contemporary Tokyo style lounge. The dining room is elegantly decorated for a comfortable atmosphere to complement a magnificent meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Oishii Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)special occasion (55)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (18)great for lunch (15)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Lunch SpecialsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014They have great bento box like specials that are under $30 and are more than enough for one person. The smoked hamachi and salmon on fire were both great as well. Servers were amazingly friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:
- ExcellentRzarektaDined on 5/2/2014Amazing food, great service, all around excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too fanci-fiedAyahDined on 4/20/2014Quality of ingredients, presentation, service, all excellent. However. Every piece of nigiri was garnished with something stronger flavored than the fish: lemon slice, onion sprouts, shallots, hot sauce, etc. The garnishes really detracted from and overwhelmed the flavor of the fish. For the premium price, I want to taste my food. We had a much better meal at the Sudbury location last year. I'll go somewhere else for sushi next time I'm in Boston.Special Features:
- Nice but overpricedTiniDined on 4/12/2014No complaints really except price. $10 for a teeny little seaweed salad? Sashimi was fresh and presented beautifully. It is definitely a special occasion place. Service was pretty weak. Took a while to get a refill on my wine. I would have expected much more attentive service for that price.Special Features:
- interestingluv2dineDined on 4/11/2014Did the chefs sampler tasting for $150. Each plate was very aesthetically appealing and very interesting. Nothing tasted as you would expect, but it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unusual poor experiencelinaDined on 4/5/2014we dine at oishi frequently and usually have no problems. this time, the service was terrible. the girl was not friendly at all. she acted as if we were a business transaction and was just trying to get us out the door as quickly as possible to get the next table in to make more money. very unfortunate because this particular night we were celebrating an anniversary and decided to come here because its always been great in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in bostonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014This is probably the best sushi/japonese restaurant in boston for me. The food is innovative and simply delicious. The bar zone is a bit loud but in the tables, there is a nice environment, making it perfect for the special occasions! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChefLPDined on 4/4/2014Went with moderate expectations. I knew it would not be on par with a Nobu or the like, but ended up being really disappointed. Stuck to the 'Chefs Innovative section' at first to see what the kitchen was most proud to push. Poorly seasoned apps, mismatched flavor pairings, maybe I should have stuck with basic sushi/sashimi? Food was pleasantly presented. Service was mediocre, and there was some sort of mixup where one of our dishes was 'forgotten'. Will not return.
- OutstandingotolosDined on 3/30/2014Everything was prepared to perfection. Best sushi in Boston?Special Features:
- Creative and inspiredBob123Dined on 3/29/2014Having just returned from Japan, the bar was set high, but Oishii came through. Very fresh fish and creative and inspired dishes. The smoked Hamchi was served under a dome with smoke permeating it at presentation. Beautiful. The salmon on fire was served with flames underneath. Highly recommend. Clearly in the top 2-3 Japanese restaurants in Boston.Special Features:
- A wonderfully unique experienceCharlieDined on 3/28/2014Unique dishes you won't find anywhere else. Presentation is out of this world. Great for a special occasion or a nice night out. Excellent cocktails too. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oishii never disappoints!!BtobinsDined on 3/28/2014We only eat apps and sushi and every dish is beautifully presented and delicious!! Oh the frozen coconut dome is a spectacular dessert to share!!Special Features:
- Best Japanese I've had in BostonJuronDined on 3/27/2014Everything was great, food fresh, good service, great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with a twistMerlinDined on 3/25/2014The quality of the fish (try the sashimi) was outstanding. Service was curteous, Friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. The Sushi creations are both imaginative and very good to eat. The only hair i found that could be split? It is slightly dark in the restaurant. The food and service are 5star experiencesSpecial Features:
- New local standard/Japanese foodsamziamDined on 3/23/2014Food presentation is a bit precious, but outstanding quality and taste. It's expensive--more than it should be--so not a place to visit too often.Special Features:
- WonderfulBirthdaytreatDined on 3/19/2014Kobe sliders were divine Sushi was exquisite Sashimi was beyond excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in BostonmichaelDined on 3/18/2014Creative and delicious food, excellent service, wonderful ambiance...what more could you ask for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OmakaseSouthEndFoodSnobDined on 3/15/2014My wife and I went to Oishii for a romantic dinner and decided to spring for the Omakase. It was superb across the board with several standouts (white salmon with black truffle, tempura escargot with lemon foam). The dishes showed great creativity and balance. Our waiter was very pleasant and enjoyed conversing with us while explaining a few of the items we were not familiar with. I couldn't recommend Oishii more highly after this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceBostontravellerDined on 3/13/2014The food was excellent but let down by poor service. The staff were allowed to smoke outside front door and when they returned they stunk of cigarette smoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OishiPJPJDined on 3/11/2014Food always solid--I live in neighborhood and have been to Oishi 20-30 times. Service is inconsistent, and sometimes a little weird. Biggest gripe: the bartenders are terrible. If you order anything other than a beer, be prepared to be unpleasantly surprised. It's so bad that I am debating whether I will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ClassrobertDined on 3/8/2014A fabulous dining experience for my wife and me. We appreciate the obvious care that went into the preparation and presentation. Japanese dining at its finest, with knowledgeable and attentive staff. We look forward to returning, and have already recommended Oishii to friends. Waiter Solomon was exceptional in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique & DeliciouscleoDined on 3/8/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and exceeded our expectations. Definitely on the go to list!Special Features:
- Best sushi lunch ever.hungryicaDined on 3/8/2014The lunch specials here are nothing short of amazing. I particularly love lunch special A, but I've also heard D is excellent too. At $20 and $30 each, while they are not considered cheap for lunch, they are absolutely worth every penny. Lunch specials are most Japanese restaurant usually consist of several pieces of nigiri and a tuna roll. The Oishii lunch specials combine incredible sauces and flavors with a great assortment of fish, including salmon, black cod, and tuna. The spicy tuna tempura roll that comes with lunch special A is hands down the most delicious sushi I've ever had...I'd pay $20 just to have that!Special Features:
- Oishii Boston reviewleidaiDined on 3/8/2014The ambiance of the restaurant was nice and the food certainly looked good. Taste however, was hit and miss. The fish was decently fresh. Some of the items in the kaiseiki lunch did not taste that great, especially the fried items. The presentation was quite nice though. Overall my impression was that most items were way over priced. Okonomiyaki was pretty good but nothing worth $15. The pork belly buns, while well made, were pretty much what you'd expect of any decent Taiwanese street stall....but at $12 for 2 buns seemed quite steep. I felt like I paid more for the decor and beautiful food presentation than for food that actually tasted really good. Not that the food was bad, just expected more for the price point.Special Features:
- Disappointing eveningpoliocoughDined on 3/5/2014My girlfriend and I loved Oishii Chestnut Hill. We wanted to try a more formal place that we thought would be bigger and quieter. Alas, this was way below expectations! The salmon tasted slimy and a bit stale. Other nigiri didn't have that "awesome fresh" that Chestnut Hill's had. It would've been decent if it cost 2 or 3 dollars for two nigiri pieces, not 8 for one. The ambiance too. The lights are way too dim making it hard to see at times. The tables are large and placed too close to each other. The effect is that you hear everything the stranger at the next table is saying, while seated too far away from your company. Uncomfortable. The waiter was a very nice guy and tried hard to accommodate. Bottom line - we'll stick with Chestnut HilSpecial Features:
- Great experience. The foodalyseDined on 3/5/2014Great experience. The food was sone if the best Japanese I have ever had. The black CID was something special !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy. Trendy to the max.MikeDined on 3/4/2014Oishii Boston has some of the most beautifully presented and high quality sushi that I have found in the city, but the ambiance will keep me from going back. Have you ever wanted to eat sushi while being serenaded by the same soundtrack they play inside of Aberchrombie and Fitch? If you are comfortable with the Patrick Bateman, Brett Easton Ellis, New York City elite vibe that this place emanates- you will absolutely love it. You may want to wear your best Brioni suit and your Oliver Peck glasses if you don't want to draw awkward stares from the patrons adjacent to you. Seriously though, the sushi was outstanding, and you should probably go and see this place for yourself.Special Features:
- great sushi and great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014The only problem was that the 2 different rooms had 2 different types of music, and people with sensitive ears would find that annoying...Special Features:
- Consistently GreatPRJDDined on 2/20/2014Service is really outstanding. We were comped 3 drinks because our table was 10 minutes late. My wife mentioned it was a birthday celebration in the reservation and we were also treated to a free dessert. Food has been awesome since I first came here 10 years ago for late night apps with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oishii Boston never disappoints!!BtobinsDined on 2/20/2014Have eaten there so many times and always enjoy the experience. Recently dined on Valentines day and the restaurant was decorated festively and ladies were presented with a Rose at the end of the evening. Although very busy service and food were excellent. I highly recommend for a special occasion. Presentation of several dishes are very dramatic!! We generally order apps and sushi so can't review entrees but chef ting will probably shine here as well!!Special Features:
- Oishi always is top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/19/2014Every visit to Oishii is a special experience. The manager, Nicole, runs the place superbly. The food is delicious and outstandingly prepared by chef/owner Ting. And the service is impeccable. I recommend asking for Solomon's section, he is a very knowledgeable and talented server. Here's a tip, if you're not sure what to order, Solomon's recommendations have been frequently spot-on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totemo OishikattaJimmySFoodIdkDined on 2/14/2014Oishii's food was, well, oishii. My girlfriend and I went there for Valentine's Day and ordered the two Kaiseki lunch sets (A and D for $20 and $30 respectively). Each came with an array of foods, from sushi to soba and miso cod. We both thought these sets were yummy and fulfilling. On the side, I also ordered a piece of O-Toro. While it was soft and melted in my mouth, it would have been better without the pieces of onion or scallion placed on top. The service was great. Although the food took a little while to make, which was perfectly fine considering the large selection Oishii offers in its lunch sets, our waiter was very kind. He even gave us a flower for Valentine's Day. The ambience was also very nice - Oishii is very pretty.Special Features:
- Inventive, quality JapaneseFirstimerDined on 2/13/2014Good for small groups as well as couples. Food is topnotch with great if sometimes dramatic presentations. Of course, it all has a price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014Food is overpriced but definitely amazing. Good for dates or even groups. It was a little louder than I would have liked it to be but our waiter Solomon was very sweet and had a great sense of humor. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inventive, creative and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014The food here was top notch and creative..as were the cocktails. The only caveat is I would specifically request a table in the main dining areas during reservations. We were stuck in the far back near the kitchen and restrooms. When asked to change the waiter and manager would not budge..supposedly because of other reservations..which may very well be true.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oishii Desu NePinoyDined on 2/8/2014The food is fantastically fresh. Even the super simple salmon/avacod roll was extra delicious,Special Features:
- Boston's Nobu4foodDined on 2/6/2014For sushi lovers, Oishii Boston will hit the spot (and the pocketbook). The food is inventive and melt in your mouth delicious. High energy atmosphere adds to the taste of the food and the wait staff is attentive and genuinely nice. The owner, master chef is likely to visit your table. Our favorites were the Smoked Hamachi and Salmon over fire (there are probably names for those). The mushrooms were a must too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration!TuckerDined on 2/1/2014We took our granddaughter for a special birthday dinner on Saturday. It was wonderful! Our server was great and the food was beyond delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible experiencepeterDined on 2/1/2014This restaurant has gone so far downhill it is not funny. Our recent experience was one of the worst I have ever had at a "good" restaurant. Firstly our white wine came warm and our server never poured a glass after the first one. The Salmon on Fire fell into the coals because we didn't get plates in time. Tuna sashimi was sinewy and frankly inedible. Lobster tempura sushi tasted like it was made hours ago. All our hot dishes came at once meaning we ate some cold. Mumbled apologies was all we got. Don't waste your money going here.
- Fresh, simple, delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014Fresh, simple, delicious food! Best restaurant in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.