Bobby Van's Park Avenue - 'The Original'
230 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10169Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Bobby Van's Park Avenue - 'The Original'
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: 2128675490
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 4:00pm-10:30pm, Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Nile Medford
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Park Avenue
- Public Transit: We are located just steps away from Grand Central Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking allowed after 6:00pm, payment required until midnight.
The closet public parking lot is located on 46th Street between Lexington Avenue and Third Avenue.
A word from Bobby Van's Park Avenue - 'The Original'
Located in New York's landmark Helmsley Building, Bobby Van's Steakhouse has been serving the best porterhouse in town for the last eleven years. Upon entering, one is greeted with the sight of a credenza groaning under the weight of large bottles of wine. A bar full of regular customers is on the left and looking into the one-hundred seat dining room, one sees the thirty foot high ceiling and windows overlooking Park Avenue. To complement our Prime Aged Steaks our Sommelier has created an award winning wine list. Whether you're looking for a big Cabernet, a Pinot Noir or something in between our comprehensive list is sure to please. "Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bobby Van's Park Avenue - 'The Original' reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (25)good for groups (25)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (14)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Service & FoodDiner48Dined on 1/11/2014From the coat check to other waiters, everyone was friendly and wanted to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. The waiter was very nice and the food was nothing but great. Not badly priced either compared to other steak houses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCasperDined on 1/2/2014Went in the middle of a snow storm. Food was great waiter made excellent recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally fine lunch place midtown.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/27/2013Totally fine lunch place midtown. Food is, as always, good. I definitely like the other Bobby Van's (on 50th and 7th) better. Seemed like this one price gouged a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too loud and ridiculouslyBillyDined on 12/18/2013too loud and ridiculously expensive...I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on wines and every wine was 4 times the price it should have bee....martinis were small....we were sat next to a window where the heat was about *150... we asked for it to be lowered and they put menus over the vents....nice solution. If you want to go for your lungs, sweat like your in a sauna, and go deaf in an extremely overpriced restaurant, this is your placeSpecial Features:
- Family night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013My partner, her 13 year old daughter and myself had a great meal here on our second night in New York the staff were very attentive and looked after us superblySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good food. wescottVIPDined on 12/13/2013consistently good food. we had lump crab and the cajun ribeye ...both excellent...Special Features:
- Steak and bourbonJayw329VIPDined on 12/9/2013Bobby Van's is a great steakhouse. However, despite their perception that it's only $$$, all the food you want will cost you $$$$. So just to set your expectations, you will have a fantastic meal and it will cost you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good steak but slightly disappointenybuddyVIPDined on 12/7/2013i asked for medium, but what came out was closer to well-done than medium. didn't want to complain too much after seeing another customer seating next to me get chewed out by the waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for steakPeteGDined on 12/5/2013Pretty decent steak in a scenic part of NYC. Great spot to get together with friends for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good midtown business lunch venueCES51Dined on 11/25/2013Bobby Van's is always a favorite on mine. Beef is out of this world. On this particular occasion, Brussels sprouts sautéed with bacon were excessively greasy.Special Features:
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2013Shrimp appetizer was over cooked. Steak was well prepared. Swordfish was over cooked. The Hasbrowns were great! Service staff were a bit overly anxious for us to order our entrees. We felt rushed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCupcakeDined on 11/9/2013Cute restaurant tucked away, looked great when we walked in, but were unimpressed with the service. The waiters were slightly condescending, definitely more worried about getting to go home on time than about our dining experience. Also, the food was exorbitantly expensive, yet only so so. Unfortunately, would not recommend this restaurantcc.
- Excellent For SteakNJTaylorsDined on 11/9/2013Great steak and traditional steakhouse side dishes. Top notch service. Be prepared to pay a premium price for both. Main drawback: The wine list is grossly overpriced. There isn't a good deal in the whole list.Special Features:
- ExcellentCayoPaniaDined on 11/6/2013Fantastic steaks!!!! Excellent service! Visited with a party of seven and everyone was throughly satisfied....Loved it! I would definitely go again on my next trip to NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but very expensiveDisappointedDinerVIPDined on 10/30/2013Excellent food, veery attentive and professional service but very expensive.Special Features:
- GOOD but Noisy with average serviceTiboDined on 10/30/2013Hi, I went for business lunch with some of my client, I booked a table in advance for 4. The food and the wine were amazing as usual. Nevertheless the table was in middle in the main room, every 3 minutes a waiter was either pushing me and my customer because our table was in middle of the way. It was very noisy, I could talk or hear the person in front of me, since the table next to us was very noisy. I really like this place since is next to my office with amazing food and wine but it makes things complicated when you can't enjoy the lunch because of noice and bad placement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fancy name, sub-par steakspowerhousefanVIPDined on 10/28/2013for a place where you spend over $100 per person, i'm not impressed. we ordered steaks and the filet was avg - a little dry but ok. the other person ordered ribeye (medium). the steak was burnt on the outside but did come pink in the middle. needless to say, for a steak that cost this much it should be tender and juicy. the burnt taste was too overpowering. if you are going there for steaks, i would recommend trying another place.Special Features:
- choose the steak, not other itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/28/2013Go for the steak choices if you want to go here, but the chicken choices on their menu were not fully cooked. Yes it's a steak place, but anything on the menu should be cooked with the same amount of care, or not be on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for business lunchGeorgeRDined on 10/22/2013Great place for business lunch or diner, or to meet good friends after work for a few drinks before getting on the train two blocks away at Grand Central. Quinessential old-school New York Steakhouse with great Steaks (I thought the Porterhouse for 2-4 was perfect), Lamb Chops, pork, veal, and several really well prepared Fish dishes. Very efficient and attentive service, but not overbearing. The place feels comfortable and inviting.Special Features:
- Friendly effective staffBeccaVIPDined on 10/9/2013Was greeted warmly at the door; waitstaff was generally warm and friendly and professional. Food was good, but not outstanding. I would go back if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent andLizaVIPDined on 9/27/2013The food was excellent and the servers were top notch. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceSdemanDined on 9/24/2013The waiter was attentive, efficient and quick. Made for an great dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent for business lunch.GenerVIPDined on 9/10/2013Great steaks. Very friendly maitre d. Friendly waiters. Never rushed though busySpecial Features:
- Outstanding ServiceFidoDined on 8/20/2013The concierge was fantastic and accommodating. The food was fresh and to die for. The ambiance was professional and service staff was incredibly attentive.Special Features:
- NY SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/19/2013First time I was ever asked to leave a NYC restaurant at 10:15 PM. Aside from that, the food and service were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakhouseCHurstDined on 8/15/2013Visited this spot for restaurant week. It's a loud corporate boys club. Many white men in suits liquoring it up after work, smoozing and having meat. My food was pretty good, but I won't go again. The service wasn't great, only some waiters were attentive (there were so many, I couldn't keep track of who was our main waiter). They were a bunch of old school boys not that attentive to women.Special Features:
- Overpriced, underservedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2013If you are not a regular, you get indifferent service, but pay outsized prices for steaks you can get elsewhere.Special Features:
- PerfectionBiotechVIPDined on 8/14/2013I have eaten at the finest steakhouses in the country- and this is now my favorite. The steak a la stone os amazing the strip was also fantastic! Perfection all the way around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedFamilytimeDined on 8/10/2013Our group of 6 was only moderately pleased with the food. We had a porterhouse that was not tender, just so-so, sea bass with miso and bok choy that was drenched in butter, lobster that was a but tough, and salad that was overdressed. Service was friendly and very attentive. If you are going to serve hunks of beef on a plate, they better be the best.
- Great SteakhouserestauranttiffDined on 8/9/2013This restaurant was just what I was looking for. My husband's birthday coincided with restaurant week and I was looking for a great steakhouse. Not only was the food great and service wonderful, but the deal was outstanding. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and graet atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2013This was my second time at Bobby Van's. the first time I was underwhelmed by really bad overpriced food. As it is Restaurant Week, I decided to give BV's another try and I was very pleasantly surprised. I started with the shrimp bisque soup which had actual lump pieces of shrmp floated on top. I followed with the salmon with buerre blanc sauce with was perfect cooked. The sides of creamed spinach and mashed potatoes had me and my tablemates making yummy sounds. I completed my indulgence with bread pudding with warm bourbon sauce. I am happy to say my guests and I left saited and fully committed to going back to BV's again. I've promised myself to try the steak next time or the beef bourdelaise with mushroom sauce. Yummy..Special Features:
- Originally came in to previewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2013Originally came in to preview the restaurant week menu but decided on selections from the full menu. Fantastic wait staff, wonderful meal. Management was a bit cold; asked that we give up our table before we even finished our (2nd) bottle of wine.
- Lindo ambiente y excelente comidaMauricioDined on 8/7/2013Siguiendo por la 6ta avenida, uno atraviesa Grand Central Station y sale a un corredor dentro de un edificio donde en la esquina está el restaurante. La zona donde se encuentra no puede ser mejor. Pedimos carne y salmón. Ambos estuvieron espectaculares. Lo acompañamos con un pure de papas y u pure de espinacas, realmente notable. Los mozos muy amables y la comida salió rapidísimo. Fuimos en el Restaurant Week, así que el precio estuvo muy razonable (USD 50.00 por persona por 3 platos - entrada, segundo y postre) más la propina e impuestos (20% y 8%) Muy recomemdable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMY-LICIOUSfoodloverVIPDined on 8/7/2013This location and the steak never disappoint. The service here was just as good as the 1st time I dinned here. I will definitely be coming back whether it's restaurant week or not.Special Features:
- Just OKBob13wVIPDined on 8/2/2013Had a mediocre dinner with mediocure service. Dined at 9:00 on a Friday night and the restaurant was not busy. Had to ask for things as the several waiters did not offer much. There are too many other steak places to go that seem to want your business.
- Amazing steaksbucktheiguanaDined on 8/2/2013We came here for Restaurant Week and just loved it. The filet mignons were the best my wife and I ever had. Everything was well-done and the service was professional and superb. It is amazing place for those special occasions or romantic evening. The wine list is excellent and has great choices in all price ranges.Special Features:
- Bobby Van's - Worth the Price?FoureyeVIPDined on 7/31/2013The food at our dinner at Bobby Van's was especially good - the filet, the veal chop, the sides of mashed potatoes and creamed spinach, and the bread pudding at dessert were all wonderful. The irritating thing was that these items all came from the Restaurant Week menu, which was not presented to us when we were seated. We had ask for the menu specifically, almost as if they didn't want us to know about it. And you should know, if you didn't already, that the prices on Bobby Van's normal dinner menu are shockingly high, even compared to other comparable midtown steak houses. So, diner beware!Special Features:
- Worth the MoneyNJConsumerDined on 7/31/2013Took a date to this steakhouse, it didn't disappoint. The steak and fish we had was memorable. The servers were attentive and the setting was sophisticated. It was not inexpensive however, if your goal is a great meal and a good experience this place delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstandingLeonardDined on 7/31/2013The food here is always outstanding. The waiters are typical steakhouse waiters in that they perform their job very well, but are not too outgoing, it's all business with them. It is quite noisy here, so I would not recommend it for a quiet romantic date. The lunch crowd is mostly "suits" conducting business over lunch. I have only been here during lunch, not dinner so my review is based on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was pretty disappointedNicoleSVIPDined on 7/31/2013I was pretty disappointed with this restaurant. The service was adequate, the ambience was average, and the food was sub-par. I ordered my steak medium rare and it came out well-done. It also took around 10 minutes for them to come out with our dessert. For a high-priced steak house, I expected better and would much rather go to any of the other, better steak places in the area (and in midtown east, there are an abundance of them).