Bobby Van's Park Avenue - 'The Original'
230 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10169Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Bobby Van's Park Avenue - 'The Original'
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: 2128675490
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 4:00pm-10:30pm, Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Nile Medford
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Park Avenue
- Public Transit: We are located just steps away from Grand Central Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking allowed after 6:00pm, payment required until midnight.
The closet public parking lot is located on 46th Street between Lexington Avenue and Third Avenue.
A word from Bobby Van's Park Avenue - 'The Original'
Located in New York's landmark Helmsley Building, Bobby Van's Steakhouse has been serving the best porterhouse in town for the last eleven years. Upon entering, one is greeted with the sight of a credenza groaning under the weight of large bottles of wine. A bar full of regular customers is on the left and looking into the one-hundred seat dining room, one sees the thirty foot high ceiling and windows overlooking Park Avenue. To complement our Prime Aged Steaks our Sommelier has created an award winning wine list. Whether you're looking for a big Cabernet, a Pinot Noir or something in between our comprehensive list is sure to please. "Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bobby Van's Park Avenue - 'The Original' reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (25)good for groups (25)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (14)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very steadyLocalVIPDined on 5/8/2014I have been to Bobby Vans for both business dinners and family dinners. The staff is very pleasant and the food very good. The restaurant is very loud and suitable for a boisterous table which we happened to be this time. Steaks and sides are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Business DinnerDiner101Dined on 5/5/2014Traditional steakhouse. Great service, nice portions and very tasty. Did not have ranch dressing, though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2014For was amazing the veal chop awesome filet was like butter service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft shell heavenRobDDined on 4/29/2014Have been here for many a good business lunch, but hurry while the soft shell crabs are in season, they are phenomenal, the best I have tasted anywhere!Special Features:
- Office after tax season luncheonawesomeVIPDined on 4/22/2014a wonderful place to dine with friends, family, coworkers, centrally located and excellent food & serviceSpecial Features:
- Classic steak houseVeranda68Dined on 4/22/2014Classic steakhouse if you need one in midtown. Great service topped off with good food. Exactly what you would expect from your NYC American steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RenoirVIPDined on 4/16/2014Always a pleasure to eat here. Outstanding service and very good food, with the usual generous portions. I am glad that I have a mile walk to get there and the same on return! My companion's steak lokked excellent, and my salmon special with the horseradish topping was excellent. Definiteky a venue for a 'proper' lunch RenoirSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Run, don't walkkevinr121Dined on 4/11/2014Best dry-aged steak I've had in years! Meat and veggies were cooked perfectly and delivered by a knowledgeable staff with the ability to easily assist with excellent wine-pairings without being pretentious.Special Features:
- Nice comfortable experienceKevinDined on 4/10/2014Nothing special. Good service but only ok food for this price level. Wanted to try it.Special Features:
- Great food by seasoned Pro'sPatrickMVIPDined on 4/9/2014Had a great evening attentive but not intrusive service. Knowledgeable staff that have seen it all. Food was all cooked to order and hot . Steaks and sides done to perfection from rare to medium well, no complaints from the table.I have never had a $14.00 soup of the day but the Beef Barley soup was well above average, but it still is beef barley soup, $14.00 is high even for NYC. Beverages we're well executed and complimented the meal. This trend of selling you 8 oz soft drinks in bottles at exorbitant prices per beverage has to stop, after all somebody has to drive these days. On top of spending $14.00 for your bowl of soup and $50.00 plus for steaks plus sides, alcohol etc. give us a break on the diet coke, things can't be that bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I may not choose the rightAnnaFairDined on 3/22/2014I may not choose the right dish. My fish was really overcooked (dry). My husband had meat and he liked it. It is not a place to go with friends... to have a long meal... they asked us to leave about 10:30pm.... Not my kind of place.
- Not just for business!LIteacherVIPDined on 3/7/2014Right in an office building, it has enough comfortable atmosphere for any good dining experience! Lots more than steak, and all the sides are superb. Food is excellent, service is great, and you will walk away happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steakCcoolnpDined on 3/7/2014Food was good... compared to all the other steakhouses out there.. the palm, mortons, capital grill, peter lugar... it was just ok.. with so many other choices out there.. maybe ill be back. Nothing really sets them apart or stands out though.Special Features:
- loved everything about BobbyndeyeDined on 3/7/2014loved everything about Bobby Vans. So much food for restaurant week. I will definitely recommend and visit them again.
- one of my favs....kwallDined on 3/6/2014....bobby vans has always been one of my favorites in nyc....the park ave location specifically.....walking distance from the hotel and a great area to walk off an always perfectly prepared steak....this trip, i was grateful to have my daughter in tow....she too is a major fan....we had a meal fit for a king and went out exploring afterwards.....in the air and heading back to the city as we speak...i'll be swinging by for dinner tonight....bone in rib eye, please....Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekSimoneLleneDined on 3/6/2014I visited Bobby Vans during Restaurant Week. The menu was very good and the portions were a good size as well. The staff was extremely courteous and attentive. My only negative was the bread pudding. I would not recommend it at all. I didn't want to get the cheesecake bc as a New Yorker I feel like I have cheesecake ALL the time, but I should have gone with old faithful. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great experiencefall1956VIPDined on 3/1/2014Food is great, Service is great a little pricey...Special Features:
- We had a fantastic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/28/2014We had a fantastic restaurant week lunch here and enjoyed great service and wonderful food, We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itAlanDined on 2/27/2014The food was wonderful and the staff were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but greatAsh2o318Dined on 2/27/2014Overall the experience was pretty good. If you have a hearty appetite, this place is for you! The menu is pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for interns of portions because they are enough to feed two or even 3 people. The waiters are attentive and service is quick, and not just when you're ready to pay. They are also pretty accommodating to diets )one of my sides was supposed to be made with bacon and I told them I couldn't have it so they left it out). The only complaints I had were that they didn't explain the special outright until we asked about it and that it was incredibly noisy, so I felt like I was screaming the whole dinner,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ExperienceMykeDined on 2/27/2014For starters I had baked clams & the "lump crab cocktail", both dishes were great. For the main course I had the "petite filet mignon" which actually was a nice size(12oz). I was surprised at the large size being that it was a restaurant week portion but that's no complaint, more food for my belly lol. The meat was definitely a winner as well and was accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes & creamy spinach. The mashed potatoes were delicious & the creamy spinach was great, the best creamy spinach I ever had.The spinach actually had pieces of artichoke in it as well, great touch.Their wine list blew me away with the wide range of variety.As for dessert I had the "chocolate mousse cake" which came with whipped cream and a mango&raspberry sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old StandardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2014Nothing flashy, but always great food and service. It can get a bit loud, but that is the only negative.Special Features:
- Restaurant week menuUlrikeDined on 2/25/2014Dinning at Bobby Van's was a first time experience and I certainly would go back. We had the restaurant week menu and were very pleasantly surprised by the portions and the quality of the food. It was delicious and really well worth it. My beef just melted in the mouth. We both had a glass of wine which was a very generous glass which we really appreciated as you sometime just get the smallest measure in New York restaurants. The only downside to our dining experience was the noise. It is a very loud place due to the high ceilings and the close proximity of all the tables. It was a very busy lunchtime so perhaps it is easier to talk to you fellow diners in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad for Restaurant WeekJennyLCVIPDined on 2/24/2014Beef Medallion was delicious...as long as you get medium rare. The green sauce for the salmon was too citrus and didn't compliment the salmon dish too well. Cheesecake was better than the rice pudding. Overall it was nice for a work lunch get away.Special Features:
- Bleh!JayRDined on 2/24/2014I went here for lunch during restaurant week 2014. For whatever reason my reservation did not show up on their end, but I was eventually seated. The server seemed bothered when my friend inquired about the restaurant weeke menu. I had the ceasar salad to start which was not very good... I then had the steak and mashed potatoes, the steak was not much more stan ok, but the mashed potatoes were good. I finished off the meal with their cheesecake which left a lot to be desired. Overall, I will not return to this location, I had previously ate at their downtown location which faired a lot better.Special Features:
- ExcellentWadeblackDined on 2/21/2014Food was exceptional, as was service. We were a couple and they seated us away from the larger groups for a slightly calmer ambiance. Much appreciated. If you haven't been to Bobby Van's, go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableKayDeeDined on 2/20/2014I was able to have a pleasant lunch with my mom at Bobby Van's. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week attitudeaNYCgalVIPDined on 2/20/2014My client, colleague and I were given the standard menus but when I asked for the restaurant week menu the waiter was clearly annoyed and displayed the same poor,attitude for the entire meal. Did he think this will bring me back in the future. ? My office is one block away and was a good option until yesterday.
- Best Cheesburger EverPatsterJDined on 2/19/2014I visit Bobby Van's Park Avenue every time I come to New York. Great Service, Love the ambiance, and spectacular food.Special Features:
- Great food, great service....andLA74VIPDined on 2/18/2014Great food, great service....and restaurant week...bonusI would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, lousy decorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014They should update their decor. Small room overlooked by dusty vents and no art on the walls left me very disappointed.
- Great ExperienceMarcDined on 2/14/2014The quality of the food was top notch and it was prepared to perfection. The service was excellent. The food is not heavily seasoned; they rely mostly on the freshness of the ingredients.Special Features:
- Nice choice for steaks andgourmayVIPDined on 2/12/2014Nice choice for steaks and seafood in the bottom of the Helmsley Building.
- Food, service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/12/2014Food, service was excellent. We were able to get the last table at 7:30 pm on a busy Wednesday night and it lived up to it's "legendary" reputation!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was prepared wellrjccpaDined on 2/11/2014The food was prepared well and the service was really great. However, the noise level gets so high when the place is full that it is hard to hear across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad waiter ruins experienceLouSkuntVIPDined on 2/8/2014As is sadly all too common in NYC steakhouses, if you do not appear to be a "master of the universe" type, you get treated as if you are somehow a second class citizen. From not being offered a wine list to not being told the specials, our waiter managed to make my wife and I feel like he was doing us a favor by letting us sit there for the entire hour and 15 minutes. I had to request a wine list and wait 10 minutes for it, and I am thankful that I could read the specials off of a chalkboard on the wall The food, as always, was great However, I must apologize for only having a tab of roughly 300 for 2 before tip. I will make sure that I never insult this establishment again with my paltry spending.Special Features:
- Good food but priceyMarionVIPDined on 2/6/2014I am never disappointed with the food but it's a bit pricey - even for NY. We were very disappointed with our table - squeezed between 2 larger tables we had no personal space at all - even though we did make a reservation in advance.
- bobby vans "original" is a gemkennydustDined on 1/30/2014went with a group of four from work for a business dinner and had a blast. steaks (I had a ribeye) were great and the oysters we ordered were excellent as well. would go again.Special Features:
- Great Business Lunch SpotShannonDined on 1/24/2014Bobby Van's provides a professional, tasty choice for a business lunch. The wide menu provides options for every palate, and my recent visit confirmed that any choice would be a good one. Our party of three had a Grilled Chicken Ceasar salad, the Chilean Sea Bass, and steak and hashed browns. All were excellent, and the service top notch. The dining room has a lot of natural light, so while it has a "club" feel, it also feels very open.Special Features:
- Not GreatSMWCVIPDined on 1/14/2014The food was decent to a degree. Standard fare.I don't know why they bother w/ a stale bread basket. the Shrimp scampi app. was just ok. Caesar salad down right awful- basically standard store bought pre-packaged presentation. Fillet mignon was good.nicely seasoned ,creme spinach was very good a la Peter Luger style, hash browns were adequate albeit slightly over salted. Pricing is very decent. Staff are complete drones, by the book- no extra mile. The noise level is off the hook , we were there on a Tues night- could not hear ourselves talk. If your with a rowdy bunch - this would be the place to go as nobody would notice if you were screaming in the middle of the dining room.