1522 12th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.momijiseattle.com/
- Phone: 2064574068
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Chris Vilayphanh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate from 10 people up to 50 people. We have a private back dining area that can hold up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Vira 2064574068
A word from Momiji Restaurant
Momiji is a hand-crafted Japanese restaurant located in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. Our menu features sushi, omakase and other traditional Japanese foods prepared from great Northwest ingredients. Our courtyard will be an oasis in the bustling neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Momiji Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Momiji Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (45)special occasion (39)romantic (35)good for groups (31)hot spot (25)vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (12)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- I don't recommend this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2014I don't recommend this restaurant. Tempura was greasy. Ribs were greasy. Sushi was fine.
- A little disappointed last Friday..KenjiDined on 2/21/2014Huge fan of momiji and umi Food quality was down from normal: the slices were unusually thin, and the rolls were all not rolled tightly enough. While normally I have no trouble eating the Rockstar, this time all of the hotate fell out of each piece and we had to go back to pick up the small pieces. It was this way for every roll we got that night. The waitress was nice but never got around to us, and my water glass was pretty empty until she went to get our check, by which time we were ready to leave. We were also never served the grilled enoki kinoko special we ordered. While all of this is completely understandable for a busy night, when we were there the restaurant was nowhere near capacity and the fullness that it usually is at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstandingRickNDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I were visiting Seattle and took the opportunity to take our niece who is a student at UW out for dinner. I searched for Japanese restaurants and found Momiji. The food was amazing the night we went. Since it was early we were able to order some of the items on the happy hour menu as well as the regular menu. We had the street fighter roll, spicy tuna roll, agadshi tofu, shrimp tempura, calamari, haibut cheeks and garlic short ribs as well as some sushi. Everything had so much flavor and the presentation of the rolls is great. I wanted to order more, but we couldn't eat anymore. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was recommendedSeattleVisitorDined on 2/13/2014The restaurant was recommended to us by a local. Extensive menu, fantastic food, attentive staff. Check out the spicy special rolls and the fantastic gyoza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its become a staple for sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014Every time I have a guest in town I take them to Momiji for great sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiEliasVIPDined on 1/31/2014If you love sushi, you will love Momiji. Fresh, tasty and original. You can get plain rolls or have the house specialties. It just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best SushiViriDined on 1/29/2014I was here once and came back with a friend that loved it. We are likely to recommend the food, drinks and service. Thank you.Special Features:
- DON'T get the special rollsSaoirseVIPDined on 1/24/2014The restaurant had a really big back section and was very casual. Not having been here before, we asked the waiter for a recommendation of the 'special' rolls, as they looked complicated, telling him I didn't want tempura. He recommended something with crab and shrimp and mango. We had not done our research, so blame us if you like, but we expected the rolls with the 'special' toppings to be regular sushi rolls, with a light sprinkle of the other ingredients. When it arrived it honestly looked like someone had mixed a bucket up with as many different ingredients as they could, slopped it all together and dumped it on tempura(!) rolls. Not good. At all. Not the light Japanese fare I was expecting. Won't be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiOmeedDined on 1/5/2014Really great and inventive rolls alongside the traditional. The seasonal menu almost always provides something exciting to try. I've already been here twice before this visit and plan to go again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!OncDocVIPDined on 12/31/2013I might be inclined to try again, but we had a very disappointing dinner there on New Year's Eve. I'd chalk it up to the busy holiday, but it was pretty empty at the time we were there (10 PM). The biggest issue was the service: our server was pretty timid but most notable for being very inattentive. We ordered an initial collection of small dishes and then the sushi just 5 minutes later, but after waiting 30 minutes after the first wave of food arrived, which was good except for one miss, we asked about the sushi and were told that the order had been missed or lost. Even if the kitchen overlooks an order, you'd think a server would follow up after 20 minutes to check with the kitchen or us.Special Features:
- Back to Momiji!BudandSamDined on 12/30/2013Returned to Momiji as part of our annual visit to Seattle and was not disappointed. Everything was great. The menu of specialty rolls is enormous and there is the temptation to order too many -beware because they are quite large! The use of fresh vegetable toppings on a couple of the rolls was unique. Only other caution is the out front signage is limited. We walked right past the place a couple of times on our first visit. But it's well worth finding!Special Features:
- Excellent varietyColleenDined on 12/26/2013Have been here a number of times and love it! It's one of my favorite places in Seattle. The variety and quality of the sushi is outstanding. My favorite is the Rockstar on soy paper. The service is very good. Always reliable for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it to search for parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013Our Japanese friend says that Momiji is really good, which confirms our opinion. The ambience is a nice blend of trendy and Japanese (the interior garden). Don't miss trying the sesame tofu!Special Features:
- Best sushi I have hadCapHillPatronDined on 12/18/2013I was never much into sushi until I ate here. I love the food and have always had good service. It's a great date place and is beautiful inside. Definitely recommend it. I was late for my reservation and the staff was very nice about the situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!EnthusiastDined on 12/17/2013We had an excellent experience in Momiji. The food was fantastic, as was the service, and I would say it was the best Japanese meal I've had in Seattle. Nicely done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud birthday partyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013I love Momiji but there was a birthday party happening and it made the experience awful, they were loud, singing and rude I thought everyone including staff seemed very irritated, next time I will ask if there is a party going before I sit down. But I will go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and plenty to choose fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/7/2013I was recommended this restaurant from a friend of mine and was pleasantly surprised with the diverse and large menu selection. They had many unique rolls and dinner specials. I would highly recommend the tropical roll and if it's on the special menu, the Momiji Saute (King Salmon with a variety of mushrooms and asparagus, cooked in garlic oil). The dessert was just eh, but you really don't go to a sushi restaurant for the dessert anyway. I will definietly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Momiji no washokuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/5/2013Having lived in Japan for many years, Japanese food is comfort food to me. The first time I went there, I sat at the sushi bar for happy hour. The portions are huge and the food is utterly fresh and delectable. Last night I had taken my friends, Japanophiles, to Momiji. They were thrilled. Even though it was not on the menu, they made Ochatsuke for us - now there is a great service touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/30/2013The food here was excellent. They have a modern fusion twist that really works. I suggest items off their daily special list.Special Features:
- great experiencesushiloverDined on 11/29/2013We made it to Momji just in time for the happy hour menu so much bang for the buck and the sushi was good, generous portions and fresh my only complaint was that the woman at the front desk was a tad snarky Our server however was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing SurprisegregoryhughDined on 11/26/2013Used Open Table with great success (again) and came back to Momiji after a long-ish absence and had a most delicious meal. A little more expensive than the basic..but more than good value for quality..and GREAT care and service at the table (am older so 'back room' was too mach backgound noise 'for me'. THANKS for a sweet evening..Momiji. GregorySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very disappointing,MCWolfeDined on 11/15/2013Food was very disappointing, with the exception of the Halibut cheeks appetizer. The rolls were ok to not good at all. Would not go back.
- Gorgeous, delicious, but slowBebopDined on 11/13/2013I love this restaurant . It is gorgeous, exquisite even. The food is superb. However, I've been there 4 or 5 times, and every time the service is mediocre. The staff are pleasant, but rushed. And they are not particularly knowledgeable about the food and drink items on the menu. Each time my impression has been that the restaurant is badly understaffed. It is hard to get the attention of the wait staff. And then it takes way too long to get what you've requested. The food originally ordered comes out in a reasonable amount of time, but additional items ordered are problematic. During our meal we ordered rice, which never came. A beer I ordered partway through the meal arrived after we were through, right before the check came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent veggie sushiOliveSeattleDined on 11/13/2013As a vegan I love coming here because they have such beautiful, wonderful luscious veggie sushi. The place is beautifully designed. Always seem to get the same friendly server with the great haircut. Only complaint is that it is very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service and food!hks00Dined on 11/10/2013Got a great table in the bar. Had almost everything on the happy hour menu and a lot from the regular menu as well. Our waiter couldn't have been better. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Front of House, Decent FoodMsonDined on 11/9/2013The front of house is pretty bad. Rude at times and not very helpful. But once inside and seated, the service and food is good. It is more noisy though than expected.
- Great servicetgsmvpDined on 11/6/2013I eat here at least once a month and this was the best service ever. Sushi is always fresh and clean but sometimes service is not perfect but last night was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is good/bad servicealisnyDined on 11/3/2013the food is good but the recent dining experience left a very bad feeling for me. the restaurant did not report to open table that I indeed have shown up. I received an email from OpenTable that I have not shown up to my reservation and if this is repeated 3 more times my account will be suspended, this was bad experience in 2 ways. a) restaurant being lousy is confirmation which for me is a part of service and b) open table just by default assuming that I did not show up when restaurant say so. make sure you follow up if you dine here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!jAKEDined on 10/30/2013I did the 7 course Prixe Fixe menu and it was fantastic! Nothing more to say really :)Special Features:
- Kaiseki Dinner Review- Not so greathoku11Dined on 10/25/2013Thumbs down. I chose the $75 meal which included various courses, but many missed the mark, in the end I walked out wishing I had ordered sushi since the menu showcased many items I would be excited to sample. Course 1 was great (maguro/ avocado puree, silken tofu / uni). Then the meal went down hill. A sashimi sampler was sparse, looked good and was more like a seaweed salad, only a few thinly sliced un-impressive pieces of fish. What was super disappointing was a steak and cooked hamachi combo. Both were over-cooked and neither was cooked to the exquisite perfection you'd expect. The meat was well done and hamachi was dry! I'd rather have the steak tartare and hamachi raw.... Bummed out about my dining experience and paid $280 for 3....
- hostess disappointmentLucyDined on 10/25/2013We've been to Momiji many times and have enjoyed terrific meals. One thing kept this visit from delivering on the experience we've come to expect... the completely inept hostess. We had reservations, arrived 5 minutes early and checked in with her. There were other parties there, most walk-ins. The hostess did not seem able to keep the parties straight and we ended up waiting 20 minutes to be seated while walk-ins were seated ahead of us. Unacceptable. The guy showing guests to their tables even had to keep track of the "book" since the hostess didn't have a handle on that. All she seemed capable of was saying "Hi" and "Sorry". Only the excellent service from our waitress was able to salvage the overall service score from "fair" to "good"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fresh & delish, svc okmikiVIPDined on 10/23/2013Food was really fresh and delicious. Loved my sashimi! The service was only ok though...very short....was impatient for us to order and was really slow to clear. Really great ambience with the indoor/outdoor garden. Cool place.Special Features:
- Awesome as always!!! The heartbeatCharlieoVIPDined on 10/21/2013Awesome as always!!! The heartbeat roll is my new favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nobody puts baby in the cornerEmilyDined on 10/20/2013I made a reservation, showed up 10 minutes early, yet for some odd reason was sat at the farthest table in the way back corner of a less than half full restaurant. Literally. The farthest table you could get too. Where there were two tables with young children running about right next to us. It took our server over 5 minutes to bring water and take our drink order. Confusing and frustrating. The food was great (per usual) and our service was friendly but slow. I'll give it another shot but this was overall not a great experience--especially for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Momiji - a missed opportunitydhyllDined on 10/10/2013One would think from Momiji's website that it's a tranquil, soothing environment within which to enjoy a peaceful, well prepared meal. And while it has a lovely enclosed atrium, the place is all hard surfaces and way too noisy. It would be so much nicer if it lived-up to it's potential.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite sushi!WrenramonDined on 10/5/2013I've been to Momiji three times now and every time I have continued to be impressed. The food is simply amazing. My favorites include the albacore belly and the ranchero and white tiger rolls. I love the unexpected ingredients that pop up in the rolls (like chipotle and mango). I refuse to eat sushi anywhere else! We have had the same server every time (just by chance). Kani has always been incredibly friendly and helpful in making choices each time we show up. Even the servers refilling water are incredibly friendly! My only complaint would be that the chairs in the dining room area are quite uncomfortable: they are not conducive to sitting for long periods of time: get a booth or sit at the bar if you have any sort of booty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my fav sushi places!LeeAnnDined on 10/1/2013Momiji is a unique sushi restaurant on Capitol Hill. When you come in through the entrance you escape from Seattle and find yourself in a serene garden seemingly in the middle of the woods. I love coming here for happy hour because the prices and the food are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed Birthday DinnerBirthdayDinnerDined on 9/30/2013The atmosphere is wonderful, with a little manicured courtyard and soft lighting. The drinks are delicious, though some of the dishes were a bit of a miss. Overall the meal was great, the things I will avoid in the future are the crispy calamari (soggy) and the octopus carpaccio (nothing exciting flavor wise).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bartender gave great foodnelllsonDined on 9/27/2013Bartender gave great food and drink reccomendations- we will be back!Special Features:
- great place on capital hill-MomijiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2013Fresh tasty food, great service. watch out for the wolfgirl cocktail. yum. For a special occasion and/or a good meal with friends.Special Features: