9 Great Jones St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://acmenyc.com/
- Phone: 212-203-2121
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 6pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Acme
Acme serves locally-sourced, seasonal New American Fare with Nordic accents in a casual bistro setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Acme reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)hot spot (45)neighborhood gem (40)vibrant bar scene (36)good for groups (32)special occasion (28)late-night find (25)romantic (25)notable wine list (17)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- delicious, unforgettable dinnerangeteDined on 3/8/2014Eggs will never be the same after tasting the farmer's eggs! I loved the idea of sharing the plates and the warm ambience. Cod tart and lamb and oyster plates were outstanding. I would definitely return to try more dishes and order farmers eggs again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!123anin123Dined on 3/4/2014The food was beyond any expectations I had and the service extremely professional. This is a 5-star restaurant at low prices. A true Gem. We loved particularly the fish (raw as well as prepared). Very subtle mix of interesting herbs and tastes. The only reason I gave it a 4 star is because of the noise level. It is hard to converse because the music is so loud (even on a Tuesday evening).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, indifferent servicenycdiner1VIPDined on 3/4/2014It was my second time at acme, and first for my friends. I was excited to introduce them to the restaurant and we had an amazing dinner. Unlike my first time the staff who waited us was awkward and indifferent. Even walked away while one of us was trying to order a drink! Despite impeccable food, our dining experience was inevitably effected. It was an unfortunate experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only negative comes fromOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2014The only negative comes from my experience with the bartender before getting seated. He incessantly flirted with the young group of women at the bar and paid very little attention to the rest of the bar patrons.Special Features:
- Acme: apex of diningMrsLouisWinstonDined on 3/1/2014This old diner has happy - if dim - memories of fun times at the original Cajun/Creole-inspired Acme of the 90s so was delightfully impressed that the casual space is now casually refined and mature with delicious grown up inventive Danish-inspired seasonal food and very attractive skilled waiters. Start with a martini and indulge in the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotMarkNYCDined on 2/27/2014Perfect for out of town guests that want a trendy NYC restaurant scene and great food. Also perfect for everyday dining. Great vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!ilovefoodVIPDined on 2/22/2014Love this place! I forgot our server's name but he was super friendly, attentive, and helpful, and offered to take us to the bar downstairs (through the usually difficult bouncer at the stairs) after our dinner. Will definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Nordic???workdowntownVIPDined on 2/17/2014Food was interesting and good. Would go back again.
- Innovative and CreativelunchVIPDined on 2/16/2014A lot of restaurants are doing the same thing with food style. Acme is innovative and creative without being experimental if that makes sense. Each dish is cooked perfectly, presented well and doesn't feel like a science project. I had nearly everything on the menu and can say it was all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Six Stars For Mads RefslundGastronautenDined on 2/15/2014Nordic Cuisine meets New York ambiance in a new and fantastic way. The oysters are a hit. Mads Refslund has a magic touch in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, Interesting FoodcwnycDined on 2/15/2014We had a prix fixe menu, which was really great. The service was a little slow and the music a little weird, but the experience was great overall. They also have some really interesting cocktails which are worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nordic goodnessXaviDined on 2/8/2014Went there with my girlfriend and enjoyed the ambiance Very vibrant bar scene. The dishes were quite original, with great ingredients Really like the chestnut soup, as well as the foie gras and the porridge desset was sublimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/6/2014The menu provided both food and cocktails with flavors that you would typically not combine together. Ambiance was lovely, as was the service. The staff was pleasant, helpful, knew about the food when asked specific questions and provided detailed feedback. Only con was the loud girls next to us. Otherwise, a plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To see and be seenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014Great place to see hot people, Food is not so good, they tried to hard to be original but the end result is not that good. They knew it was my b.day without me telling them and they brought me a cake with a candle. Even the coat girl congratulated me....nice touch!!! The bar downstairs is super cool!! Loved it. I would give them 3 of 5 stars on food and 5 stars on ambience and service. Will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCmacDined on 1/30/2014We ordered the scallops and country toast to share as a starter, and then shared the chicken and eggs and seabass to follow, all of which were beautifully balanced and absolutely delicious. We were left waiting slightly too long between courses but the quality of the food more than made up for that. For dessert we shared the oak and pine, which unfortunately tasted of neither in my opinion, so I wasn't that impressed by it, but it was fine. Also, the port I ordered with my dessert hadn't been decanted and was full of sediment so that was slightly disappointing. Overall a great experience though, I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Get the chickenBC13VIPDined on 1/25/2014Whereas chicken is typically the most boring thing on the menu, at Acme it's the star. Every dish has been delicious, every time I've been - but the chicken and eggs is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, memorable experienceEmilyDined on 1/25/2014Acme is a gem of a place in the Bowery neighborhood - featuring unique, memorable food and outstanding service. The Nordic-style food is unlike anything I've had before. Highly recommend Acme!!Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, Even Better FoodnycmiadgDined on 1/25/2014Went with a group of girlfriends for brunch over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant was not very busy, ambiance was great. Food and service were quick, efficient and helpful. Would definitely recommend this restaurant again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wasn't expecting the asianOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/20/2014I wasn't expecting the asian version of the Johnny cakes with braised pork, and assorted condiments (7!). it took over the whole table and was excessive. the server suggested smearing a little of every condiment on the cake before eating it...which seemed like a mess of different flavor combinations. Good but needs to be simplified. Fish taco delicious, although the presentation was bizarre. Two little appetizer tacos came in a massive green topiary metal basket that dwarfed them in scale. One of us was vegan (and vegetarian in a pinch). Server hardly offered solutions. Rather just eliminated meat/dairy from existing dishes, which left the dishes bare and unappetizing. We had to complain before they made an effort...it was embarrassing.
- Oaky PineMagglesDined on 1/16/2014My friends and I split a few desserts and the oak ice cream with pine sounded interesting, but we weren't sure how that would translate on our tongues. Turned out to be amazing. Delicious and inventive. Excellent choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time here and it'sjmb8431Dined on 1/13/2014Second time here and it's one of my new favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried Egg brunch item wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/12/2014Fried Egg brunch item was delicious! The Spruce & Pine dessert is very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fives starsKarenDined on 1/12/2014This was the best restaurant that I have ever been too and I eat out A LOT. It was perfect. The room temperature was perfect. The waitstaff was not intrusive yet they remained attentive. The food was interesting and appetizing. Most of all, I was worried that the portions would leave us hungry based on other reviews however all four of us left satisfied. Great job. I dreamed of the Oak and Pine Ice Cream dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food - Rubbish ServicePartyOfDanesDined on 1/4/2014We would definitely come again for the food, but a bit more courtesy and attentivenes to guests are required.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Johnny cakes were fantasticHHellerVIPDined on 12/30/2013Everything we had was great but the Johnny cakes with all the choices of toppings were unusual and fastastic.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedMayaVIPDined on 12/29/2013Was seated at a table near the front door instead of the main dining room as that was the only table available even though we had a reservation. Dishes were pricey for small portions and although they sounded interesting on the menu, flavors fell short. Our server had a great attitude to her credit, but so-so food and ambience made for a not so great experience.
- Tasting menuFoodieVIPDined on 12/27/2013The tasting menu is a deal! It highlights many of the top dishes (turnips, scallops, foie gras with langoustine) with several good dishes not on the menu. Be forewarned the menu changes daily. I had a wonderful duck entree with pear and endive, which paired nicely with a pear and endive salad. As many have noted, the seating can be tight, but then you can see what else comes out of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Interesting food, fun night outSkovDined on 12/24/2013A place with a unique menu, a fun yet unobtrusive buzz about you, and awesome staff. Definitely worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors!ExperiencedCookDined on 12/22/2013Pleasantly surprised with very original recipes and flavors. Favorites were the chicken entree, barley, 'toast', and fish tacos. Will go back for sure...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting foodSarahDined on 12/21/2013While I wouldn't describe the food here as simply delicious, this is one of the more inventive and fun meals I have ever eaten. Surprising, sometimes challenging combinations that were very successful. A fun place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought my fam here for dinnerDiner123Dined on 12/21/2013Brought my fam here for dinner when they were visiting NYC. Definitely a crowd pleaser!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nordic comfort, great servicecodyDined on 12/21/2013Delicious, innovative food. Didn't even order an entree, just a lot of the plates from the raw, cooked, soil & dessert. Really delicious vegetable preparations and fun flavor pairings. The service was excellent, everyone there was very nice and accommodating. Go earlier in the evening if you want to avoid the thriving hip young bar scene, or not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here and it exceededjmb8431Dined on 12/18/2013First time here and it exceeded my expectations. Great music!!! The scene is great and the food was fantastic! I will definitely be back as this place has now been added to my list of regular go-to's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love at first biteskepticaldinerDined on 12/15/2013This was a recommendation for a birthday celebration it was just right for a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambienceSteveDined on 12/13/2013The food is definitely non-traditional but very creative and well delivered. Especially nice is they promote sharing food right at the beginning. The decor is hip and the atmosphere you and energetic. The wait staff is attentive and knowledgable. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- meh...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013when you pay $15 for 5 micro thin slices of beetroot that only tastes ok, you know you've come to an overpriced place. We also tried the "two eggs for $15" and "fish taco with taste of smoke for $15" which i absolutely cannot recommend. The oysters were really nice though, especially the ones from Virginia.
- Weird but goodFoodMomVIPDined on 11/30/2013A very unusual menu. Interesting tastes that I have not seen elsewhere in NY. The ambiance is the same as the old college hangout that ACME used to be. The tables are about 4" apart which does not leave much privacy. The wine list contains many unusual selections but the waitress seemed to be knowledgeable and was very willing to let you try wine by the glass before you ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImaginativeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/29/2013We had a great meal at Acme. The food was imaginative, and we loved that the menu highlighted vegetables. The food was offered family style so we could all try the interesting dishes. Our server was very helpful in steering us through the menu and suggesting just the right amount of food. Her recommendations were all spot-on. The salt roasted beets and heirloom carrots were fantastic. The dessert menu has to be the most inventive any of us have ever encountered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AcmeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/27/2013I loved this meal. New preparations of familiar foods presented thoughtfully, creatively, soulfully. There's plenty of invention happening at Acme and yet the twists never became superfluous or overbearingly trendy. Every dish was balanced, interesting, new and I wanted more of all of them. I could eat a dozen of The Farmer's Eggs with cauliflower dashi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd, not bad... good, just odd.ranmanDined on 11/25/2013Not entirely sure how to describe this place with a danish chef and a southern cooking sign. The wait staff are friendly, polite, and most importantly efficient and competent. The food is good but not to die for... definitely a place where foodies can go to experience something out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.