9 Great Jones St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://acmenyc.com/
- Phone: 212-203-2121
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 6pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Acme
Acme serves locally-sourced, seasonal New American Fare with Nordic accents in a casual bistro setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Acme reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (29)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (24)special occasion (20)late-night find (17)romantic (16)great for brunch (12)notable wine list (10)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Ambiance, Even Better FoodnycmiadgDined on 1/25/2014Went with a group of girlfriends for brunch over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant was not very busy, ambiance was great. Food and service were quick, efficient and helpful. Would definitely recommend this restaurant again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wasn't expecting the asianOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/20/2014I wasn't expecting the asian version of the Johnny cakes with braised pork, and assorted condiments (7!). it took over the whole table and was excessive. the server suggested smearing a little of every condiment on the cake before eating it...which seemed like a mess of different flavor combinations. Good but needs to be simplified. Fish taco delicious, although the presentation was bizarre. Two little appetizer tacos came in a massive green topiary metal basket that dwarfed them in scale. One of us was vegan (and vegetarian in a pinch). Server hardly offered solutions. Rather just eliminated meat/dairy from existing dishes, which left the dishes bare and unappetizing. We had to complain before they made an effort...it was embarrassing.
- Oaky PineMagglesDined on 1/16/2014My friends and I split a few desserts and the oak ice cream with pine sounded interesting, but we weren't sure how that would translate on our tongues. Turned out to be amazing. Delicious and inventive. Excellent choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time here and it'sjmb8431Dined on 1/13/2014Second time here and it's one of my new favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried Egg brunch item wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/12/2014Fried Egg brunch item was delicious! The Spruce & Pine dessert is very interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fives starsKarenDined on 1/12/2014This was the best restaurant that I have ever been too and I eat out A LOT. It was perfect. The room temperature was perfect. The waitstaff was not intrusive yet they remained attentive. The food was interesting and appetizing. Most of all, I was worried that the portions would leave us hungry based on other reviews however all four of us left satisfied. Great job. I dreamed of the Oak and Pine Ice Cream dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food - Rubbish ServicePartyOfDanesDined on 1/4/2014We would definitely come again for the food, but a bit more courtesy and attentivenes to guests are required.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Johnny cakes were fantasticHHellerVIPDined on 12/30/2013Everything we had was great but the Johnny cakes with all the choices of toppings were unusual and fastastic.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedMayaVIPDined on 12/29/2013Was seated at a table near the front door instead of the main dining room as that was the only table available even though we had a reservation. Dishes were pricey for small portions and although they sounded interesting on the menu, flavors fell short. Our server had a great attitude to her credit, but so-so food and ambience made for a not so great experience.
- Tasting menuFoodieVIPDined on 12/27/2013The tasting menu is a deal! It highlights many of the top dishes (turnips, scallops, foie gras with langoustine) with several good dishes not on the menu. Be forewarned the menu changes daily. I had a wonderful duck entree with pear and endive, which paired nicely with a pear and endive salad. As many have noted, the seating can be tight, but then you can see what else comes out of the kitchen.Special Features:
- Interesting food, fun night outSkovDined on 12/24/2013A place with a unique menu, a fun yet unobtrusive buzz about you, and awesome staff. Definitely worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors!ExperiencedCookDined on 12/22/2013Pleasantly surprised with very original recipes and flavors. Favorites were the chicken entree, barley, 'toast', and fish tacos. Will go back for sure...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting foodSarahDined on 12/21/2013While I wouldn't describe the food here as simply delicious, this is one of the more inventive and fun meals I have ever eaten. Surprising, sometimes challenging combinations that were very successful. A fun place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought my fam here for dinnerDiner123Dined on 12/21/2013Brought my fam here for dinner when they were visiting NYC. Definitely a crowd pleaser!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nordic comfort, great servicecodyDined on 12/21/2013Delicious, innovative food. Didn't even order an entree, just a lot of the plates from the raw, cooked, soil & dessert. Really delicious vegetable preparations and fun flavor pairings. The service was excellent, everyone there was very nice and accommodating. Go earlier in the evening if you want to avoid the thriving hip young bar scene, or not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here and it exceededjmb8431Dined on 12/18/2013First time here and it exceeded my expectations. Great music!!! The scene is great and the food was fantastic! I will definitely be back as this place has now been added to my list of regular go-to's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love at first biteskepticaldinerDined on 12/15/2013This was a recommendation for a birthday celebration it was just right for a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambienceSteveDined on 12/13/2013The food is definitely non-traditional but very creative and well delivered. Especially nice is they promote sharing food right at the beginning. The decor is hip and the atmosphere you and energetic. The wait staff is attentive and knowledgable. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- meh...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013when you pay $15 for 5 micro thin slices of beetroot that only tastes ok, you know you've come to an overpriced place. We also tried the "two eggs for $15" and "fish taco with taste of smoke for $15" which i absolutely cannot recommend. The oysters were really nice though, especially the ones from Virginia.
- Weird but goodFoodMomVIPDined on 11/30/2013A very unusual menu. Interesting tastes that I have not seen elsewhere in NY. The ambiance is the same as the old college hangout that ACME used to be. The tables are about 4" apart which does not leave much privacy. The wine list contains many unusual selections but the waitress seemed to be knowledgeable and was very willing to let you try wine by the glass before you ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImaginativeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/29/2013We had a great meal at Acme. The food was imaginative, and we loved that the menu highlighted vegetables. The food was offered family style so we could all try the interesting dishes. Our server was very helpful in steering us through the menu and suggesting just the right amount of food. Her recommendations were all spot-on. The salt roasted beets and heirloom carrots were fantastic. The dessert menu has to be the most inventive any of us have ever encountered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AcmeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/27/2013I loved this meal. New preparations of familiar foods presented thoughtfully, creatively, soulfully. There's plenty of invention happening at Acme and yet the twists never became superfluous or overbearingly trendy. Every dish was balanced, interesting, new and I wanted more of all of them. I could eat a dozen of The Farmer's Eggs with cauliflower dashi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd, not bad... good, just odd.ranmanDined on 11/25/2013Not entirely sure how to describe this place with a danish chef and a southern cooking sign. The wait staff are friendly, polite, and most importantly efficient and competent. The food is good but not to die for... definitely a place where foodies can go to experience something out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all around great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2013My friend and I tried Acme for the first time on a Saturday night. Staff was friendly, and we were seated right on time for our reservation. We each got a cocktail from the menu, and they were delicious. We shared 2 dishes (salted beets and country toast) and each got one separate (chestnut soup for her, raw fois gras for me). The food was excellent all the way around, and the flavor combinations were unexpected. I've heard complaints about the service, but our waitress was prompt and courteous. I would highly recommend Acme to adventurous eaters. Picky meat and potato types would probably not enjoy it - their loss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicous food, outstanding servicepaulitoDined on 11/20/2013Very friendly staff, really good food and all that for reasonable prices - you can't ask for more! The only spot of bother ist the club downstairs, very unfriendly and arrogant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid - but not spectacularBTrottaDined on 11/20/2013Smoked Fish Tacos (Good) - Sweet Breads (Very Tasty) - Cauliflower Stalks (Best thing of the night) - Spinach (Ok, not great) - Chicken and Eggs (Plain - ok) - Roasted Potatoes (Very Good) Solid bar scene - tables a bit close together - lots of dates - talent is solid - Overall food was good not great - menu doesn’t have a ton of entrée choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Style & SubstanceKevMcFadyenDined on 11/17/2013Super cool vibe without being pretentious, understated decor, fantastic friendly service, excellent food (go on a Monday and have the chicken), and one or two Hollywood A-listers casually dining in a corner. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really creative menuGwennieDined on 11/17/2013Eating in a group allows sharing of the many wonderful small plates This food is quietly exquisite and I bring all my friends.... Who can afford the prices..... To eat here I love the detail to flavor and freshnessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst service in ManhattanOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/15/2013The food is excellent! Sadly, the service is probably one of the nasties scene in the City; what a shame for this qualitative food experience, The bodyguards outside look like they own the world and they are so irrespecutful; remember that to be successful you need to have a whole experience. Starting from today I'll start giving bad reviews about the restaurants and its embarrassing employees. A shame!
- great meallauraplybonDined on 11/15/2013We had dinner with another couple at Acme, and we loved the cocktails, the food, the service, the ambience, the music and best of all the music level / acoustics were just right so we could actually hear the music AND the conversation. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but not amazingnubilesVIPDined on 11/10/2013A year ago, the hype on this place was intense. Now... it's not such a tough resy and it's a nice little place. If you're coming in with little expectations, then you will have a lovely time. If you're thinking that this is a MUST-VISIT place, then you should adjust those expectations slightly. It's not all that. But it's definitely worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could have been better.DaniPDined on 11/10/2013Service could have been better. We sat at the table for a while before someone came over to take our drink order. But the food was excellent.Special Features:
- decent food, indecent attituderbk1Dined on 11/9/2013upon arrival (15 mins early), we were instructed to have a drink at the already packed-full bar; our table would be ready in 20 minutes. The hostess was pleasant enough and the somalier made a fantastic recommendation. Once seated service was mediocre at best. Waiter clearly had an 'I'm better than you' attitude. We chose Acme to celebrate my fiancées 26th based on others' reviews. The food was certainly satisfactory but the service truly fell short. I went home with quite a perturbed significant other. This place is more for 'scenesters' rather than food. I must reiterate that the somalier (Greg- I believe) was fantastic and made our evening as pleasant as could be. So thank you, Greg!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and expensive fareMeyersuDined on 11/9/2013The old Acme's sign still advertises "southern fare," but the entire vibe and look of the place is completely changed. The arrangement of the menu is unusual: forget your "appetizers," etc., here it is "raw," "cooked," "soil," and so on. A helpful waitress helped us decipher it, emphasizing that most dishes are meant to be shared. I am not an expert in Icelandic food so I cannot speak to Acme's authenticity in this regard. All dishes ordered by our party of three where elegantly presented and unusual in their combinations of flavors and textures. Overall very good but expensive for what you get. One complaint: in my scallops with charred onions the onions were raw, overwhelming the taste of the scallops to an unpleasant degree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oversalted and overlargeFritzDined on 11/3/2013Unfortunately the wohle food was oversalted. After we complain the oversalted spinach, we get onother oversalted one :o(. The waiter recommended a rib-eye staek for two that was sized for four... and oversalted. The service at all was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2013Food does not live up to the hype. We were there for Sun dinner from 7:30-10pm, it was pretty low key.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better then the originalMikaelVIPDined on 11/1/2013Clearly it has it´s inspiration from NOMA but to me the food is better. It´s not better prepared but the ingridients are much better chosen. At Noma you will get an array of differents leaves, hay, parts of trees or whatever that you never knew you could eat. At first it is fun but when the larger part of the meal just concist of weird things it doesn´t appeal to me. I rather see innovative cooking with familiar ingridients like fish, poultry and meat nothing wrong in that. Thanks for a great meal I´ll be comming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointed with themengelVIPDined on 11/1/2013A bit disappointed with the food. Some dishes were exceptional, e.g. Fingerling potatoes, but some were very ordinary, e.g. scallops and pork neck. Nice atmosphere and great service though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchWTimponeDined on 10/27/2013While the tourists line up and wait in the street to get into nearby Lafayette with its snooty staff, this reasonable, low-key spot is serving up interesting, tasty , Scandinavian inspired food with good cheer. Brunch ran the range from baked eggs to Bison tartare, orange to beet juice. The great coffee was the icing on the cake. The pastry basket had an excellent combination of NOT your run of the mill entries. I found my spot for an impromptu or organized brunch. Will go back again for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodmkltDined on 10/26/2013Food was good especially the fish tacos. Tartare wasn't anyone's favorite of our table of four. Carrots were unique but looked much more exciting than they tastes. Fries were delicious but mayo was not for me. Sea bass was good and left us full. Brussel sprouts didnt live up to servers hype. Chicken was delicious. Should have passed on dessert...although the carmel ice cream inside the porridge was a highlight. Food overall was good. Service was slow, 3 hour dinner but luckily had good company.Special Features: