9 Great Jones St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://acmenyc.com/
- Phone: 212-203-2121
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 6pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Acme
Acme serves locally-sourced, seasonal New American Fare with Nordic accents in a casual bistro setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Acme reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)hot spot (44)neighborhood gem (38)vibrant bar scene (32)good for groups (31)special occasion (25)late-night find (23)romantic (23)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Terrible food and serviceJavoDined on 7/18/2014Acme offers a terrible service and not worthy expensive food. Wouldn´t reccomend, neither going back. There´s so many options, to not receive good service and food, as you paid. Terrible the bouncer to get in to the " fkn club"
- Innovation equals deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/9/2014Finally tried Acme after all of last year's hype and criticism. I had no idea what to expect and was more than pleasantly surprised by their innovative menu. We were four people, all fairly adventurous eaters and shared what seemed to be half of the menu. To my surprise, the foie gras with (uncooked) langoustine was the clear favorite. Totally unique dish that was fresh and balanced. The spare ribs were delicious (and gluten free!) as was the pulled pork and Johnny cakes which came with a variety of most interesting accoutrements/ban chan to be rolled up into mushu or Korean BBQ style wraps. Drinks were fantastic and in entice as well. Our one misfire was the dessert called oak and something - a bit too far fetched and oddly savory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, Creative, OverpricedRhymingRitaDined on 7/9/2014We did find some of the flavor profiles a bit sketchy, and the prices were inflated to the point of being a bit silly. The foie gras and langoustine appetizer was an interesting idea that just tastes - interesting. Not pleasureable, not satisfying, just interesting. A dozen oysters were plump, fresh, and without a single spec of sand or grit. Allso ordered the "Johnnycakes" which is really just pulled pork, interesting condiments, and a corn crepe to wrap. Appetizing and entertaining - but $38? Seriously? And a fish entry by the $3 oz that can only be ordered in 12 or 19 oz sizes because the smaller sizes "sell out"? Cocktails are, of course, also overpriced. At these prices I expected to be flown to the moon - not even close.
- Fantastic evening eating in the barOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Perfection ... Great food, great service :)my Best meal i nyc to dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereTiiaDined on 7/3/2014The restaurant has great atmosphere. We took the July tasting with 9 courses with matching wines (5 different wines). They were some good tastes like smoked fish tacos and the braised pork, excellent choices. Some other weren't that special but they were okay. The wines matched the food well. We just hoped some more information from the wines. Little explanations about the wines would be nice. Maybe you could bring the bottle to the table when bringing new wines that the customer could see the bottle too. Anyway the service is great and friendly. Good place to visit in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BadunhappycustomerDined on 6/29/2014Way too overpriced, and the food was not half as good as I was expecting it to be.
- The following 345 reviews are from the Acme reviews archive.
- Silly foodHstudVIPDined on 6/13/2014The food combos didn't work. The oysters with pine was horrible. The cauliflower was good but sloppily presented, the Johnny cakes ingredients were all over the place. The other items we had were just nothing to get excited about.The drinks were really good and so was the service.
- pretty but underwhelmingfoodlover22Dined on 6/9/2014At first glance it's a beautiful space with a well dressed and vibrant crowd. Our table was in a terrible location but to their credit they did move us once another opened up (without us asking). The cocktail we had while waiting was light and fresh and delicious. That's when the fun stopped. Grilled oysters (5) were ok but small and overpriced. 'green' strawberries (aka unripened) sounded interesting, but it was largely without flavour and just a creamy pleasant dish with no pop. 'Grilled' lettuce salad was - again - small and overpriced and I've made it better at home on my bbq. The final dish - the chicken - was absolutely delicious but we had stopped caring by then. Overall nice place for a drink but much better to be found out there!Special Features:
- Amazing flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/9/2014The food was delicious--the intensity and the mix of flavors was amazing. In spite of the room being quite lively, sitting at a large table in the back there were only a few times that we could not hear everyone in our group. The experience was such that even our doubting Thomas was won over and spoke of a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSadFoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014I rarely have a dining experience where every dish selected is enjoyable, but such was the case eating at Acme. Our group had the lamb & oyster tartar, crispy salmon skins, chicken & eggs, johnny cakes, artichokes, and fries, and there was not a single dish that any member of our group had problems with. The flavors were perfectly balanced and the food was so fresh! Our waiter was personable and gave great advice on portions (we ate family-style). The ambience was elegant without the overly dim lighting some restaurants feel they need to create "atmosphere". I definitely plan on eating here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceVickylevyDined on 5/17/2014Very nice atmosphere, nice people, food ok, open until late and nice drinksSpecial Features:
- Loved ItPerfectVIPDined on 5/16/2014My friends and I were really impressed with Acme. Each person who works there that we encountered was courteous, charming and helpful. The food was outstanding. We especially loved the mackerel tarts and brown eggs. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/10/2014Strange. This Nordic-tinged menu uses local ingredients in odd combinations. It's interesting, not bad, but probably not worth all the hype the Acme has generated. The menu is small. Service is relaxed and friendly. The old Acme -- which served a very different cuisine -- is still recognizable after modest renovations.
- Special treatment, laid backbigcatbootDined on 5/5/2014I felt comfortable, at ease, and very satisfied while dining at Acme. It's been on my list for quite some time, and my expectations were reasonably matched. Happy to report that the food was outstanding (esp. cauliflower with brie and black truffle). I'd highly recommend based on food alone. However, it was the general sense of ease and comfort that would really pull me back. We never felt rushed, and surely maxed out our time at Acme.Special Features:
- EvolvingmarcusDined on 5/2/2014I have eaten at Acme several times, and have liked it better in the past. It seems that although the food still has a Scandinavian feel, the bitter flavors and the flavor contrasts are being muted to conform more to popular taste. We had the tasting menu ($75) which covered many of the small dishes on the menu, and it left an overall weak impression. We tried the wine pairings ($45) which made an effort to match this not very wine friendly food, with mixed success. Probably worth another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish We Had More TimeNoelTDined on 5/2/2014Had a pre-theater ("Here Lies Love") dinner at ACME and wish we had more time to savor the wonderful dishes. Unusual and inspired menu delivered. Looking forward to returning and making the meal the event.Special Features:
- Poor attention to detail.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2014We got the tasting menu with wine pairings. Never were the wines explained to us more than "this is a Riesling," for example, and we were not at all informed for how many courses each wine selection was to last. At one point, a waiter "topped off"our glasses without any forewarning. He poured in a different wine than we were drinking without realizing it and never amended it himself. That in and of itself is understandable, perhaps, but overall, the poor attention to any detail or ability to care for the diners overshadowed what were a few interesting food preparations (raw foie gras and langoustines; radishes with oyster mayo; raw lamb and oysters). We left thoroughly disappointed.Special Features:
- Noma in New York!Anne12Dined on 4/27/2014Fantastic food and service very friendly, we ate at Noma Copenhagen, recognizable dishes in iTS own waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flowergirlDined on 4/26/2014Nice little downtown spot for a lunch/brunch on Saturday before heading to theatre. Enjoyed lamb sandwich. There are no outdoor tables, however.
- Inventive Nordic Brunchad2321Dined on 4/26/2014Had brunch for two at Acme on Saturday 4/26. Very quiet at 11 AM. The steak tartare was the best I've ever eaten. Egg dishes were creative. Portions were scaled perfectly. Our server was outstanding--she indulged me with a lengthy conversation about mezcal and made a beautifully balanced mezcal margarita.Special Features:
- Mixed with a clubOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014My wife and I were having a very good dinner which was booked At 10:00 pm, then a couple of frinds arrived from a different restaurant to see us and held us finish our last wine bootle ($135). My friend called me saying that the dorrman wasn't letting him in (what's the purpose of a doorman in a restaurant?). To end the story, I went to the door and be advised that they were not taking more people in the restaurant and started to look to his phone, while the bodyguard was pushing my friend from the door - very nice!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticPiamartinDined on 4/24/2014We were received and shown to the lively bar, 'cause we arrived a little early. Nice reception(ist) :-) At the table it was a challenge to comprehend the way the meal was going to be "organized". But the waiter gave us very good advice, and we created a great menu-plan for the evening. And we had quite many surprising - in the positive way - experiences in tasting the different courses. It was great! It was tasteful, it was new, it was original. I never had radishes in an emulsion of oyster and parsley. The Californian white wine was great. And the Cognac and Grappa were only found slightly guilty in the hangover next morning. All in all: Mums!Special Features:
- We will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here. Friendly staff, great food, and good service made the experience very pleasurable.Special Features:
- a new type of dining experienceVOtronDined on 4/19/2014The ambience was familiar, great for people watching. The star of the experience was the food. The ingredients were all listed on the menu, but the preparation was mind-altering experience. From the delicate egg custard served in a basket of hay to the freeze-dryer dessert. Everything was so delicate, elegant, and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!ADKSamDined on 4/12/2014My girlfriend and I went down for a weekend in the city. Our experience at ACME left nothing to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed thebirchrunnerVIPDined on 4/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the innovative cuisine at Acme. While limited, due to food allergies, the chef and staff did a great job helping me to navigate through the menu. The dishes were all beautifully presented and flavors were extraordinary. We cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Saturday brunchMimo13Dined on 4/5/2014Made reservations for an early Saturday brunch, expecting to be packed. Instead, it was very tranquil which was perfect! Food was good, especially the pastry basket. Delish! The baked egg was ok, will definitely go back to try other dishes. Wish there was an outdoor spot though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual but delicious menu!LahuVIPDined on 4/3/2014At first glance at the menu, I was really struggling with what I would have - nothing was jumping out at me. After a useful discussion with the waitress about how some of the dishes were prepared we settled on the chicken and egg and jonny cakes with a few starters and vegetables. Everything was absolutely delicious, the boiled egg starter was so unusual, light and tasty. This place has the look and feel of quite a few places downtown but the originality of the menu sets it apart. My one complaint is it's pretty expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/1/2014Some of the most interesting food in the country right now, and it's just flat-out delicious. Very friendly service, great music playing...what's not to like? Okay, a little loud and busy but it's worth it for the food alone, which is easily two Michelin star quality.Special Features:
- Where is Michelin Stars?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/30/2014In my recent trip to NY, I dined at several Michelin starred restaurants such as Le Bernardin, Daniel, Eleven Madison Park, JungSik, Marea, Jean Georges, etc. And, ACME was one of my favourite dining experiences! We had a tasting menu with wine pairing, and it was outstanding. Very interesting and unique flavour combinations and techniques. Service was really friendly, attentive and professional. Our sommelier was very knowledgeable and pairing was outstanding. After disappointing lunch tastings at Le Bernardin and Marea, ACME was a hidden gem. For the price, service and quality of food, I would highly recommend ACME. They definitely deserve a Michelin star or two!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food, great ambiancenygirlDined on 3/27/2014After making reservations about a month in advance, it was disappointing to be led to a table right next to the door on a chilly evening. Since we asked if there were any other tables open, we were seated downstairs in the bar area. The downstairs section seems to be a great place to grab a drink with small tables and a full length bar with stools. However, it's not a great spot to enjoy your meal since the service was exceedingly slow, and our table received very little attention. The food was also not as up to par as I had imagined/hoped, though it was still good. I'd recommend this as a spot for a drink, rather than a meal however.Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2014The French press coffee was hot and outstanding, served with brown sugar cubes and steamed milk. Also excellent was the pastry basket, bread pudding griddle cake, bone marrow butter, and duck fat French Fries. Very yummy, though kinda pricey if you're ordering cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating a birthdayhalfpintDined on 3/16/2014Acme was an excellent space for my friend's 30th. We were a group of six. Our server was excellent: well informed about the dining and beverage menus, ably guiding our selections throughout the meal. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Fish was very good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014The Fish was very good, but the Rib-Eye-Steak was very bad and expansive (104$ for the medium size)
- neo-nordicalawrencenycDined on 3/12/2014I've been wanting to go here for a while and was pleased to have the occasion. The look of the restaurant is pleasant and with every dish it is obvious that a great deal of attention goes into every aspect of the food and service as well. I was surprised how subtle the flavors were and wish the server had given us a little more assistance. Nevertheless, it was a delight to be there last night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceLauraBDined on 3/11/2014Have eaten here a number of times. All three trips have been good. Seasonal menu is small but varied. Attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Unique FlavorsfromPADined on 3/10/2014I spend a lot of time in Barcelona and have had lots of opportunities to try unexpected flavor combinations, but the Scandinavian twist was new to me. When I come to NYC, I always seek out something novel, and Acme delivered. We opted for an assortment of small plates so that we could try as many dishes as possible, and we enjoyed all of them. The country toast and smoked fish tacos were probably my favorites. The atmosphere is convivial, and the place gives up a hip vibe without being pretentious. At 44, I was probably the oldest customer in the room, but I didn't feel out of place or "too old." The service was great. I appreciated the chance to try the wine before committing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review brunch at AcmeellieDined on 3/9/2014The brunch selections are outstanding. Try the Country Toast with a drink to start and my Fried duck eggs were out of this world. Happy that this incredible spot is in my neighborhood.Special Features:
- Service was terrible. FoodAnimalSpiritsVIPDined on 3/8/2014Service was terrible. Food below average, definitely not worth the price. Doorman and staff generally were extremely rude.
- delicious, unforgettable dinnerangeteDined on 3/8/2014Eggs will never be the same after tasting the farmer's eggs! I loved the idea of sharing the plates and the warm ambience. Cod tart and lamb and oyster plates were outstanding. I would definitely return to try more dishes and order farmers eggs again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.