1517 Anderson Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 3R5Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whet.ca/
- Phone: 6046960739
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Northwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine Bar
A word from Whet: kitchen.bar.patio
Located at the Gateway to Granville Island, WHET: kitchen. bar. patio, is Vancouver's newest eating, drinking, and viewing experience. At WHET we focus on using local and organic ingredients in everything we do: Oceanwise seasonal seafoods and Granville island market ingredients like oyama sausage, artesian cheese, island baked breads, and market fresh herbs and spices. We combine a sophisticated seasonal menu with a relaxed atmosphere and panoramic view. Our libations consist of contemporary and modern wine and cocktail offerings which have been created, sourced and refined with a careful mind to stay true to our philosophy of using fresh, vibrant flavours and pairings. We have a wide craft beer selection of both local & international draught and bottled favourites. WHET is open late every night of the week for a glass of wine or cocktail after a show, a late dinner after taking in a famous Granville Island play, or a night out with friends in our cozy and vibrant lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Whet: kitchen.bar.patio - Best Restaurants in Granville Island ›
Whet: kitchen.bar.patio reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (22)scenic view (19)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- We enjoyed the food and ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2013We enjoyed the food and our waitress was very friendly and pleasant. On the downside, we had to wait for a bit to be seated even though we did have a reservation (and the hostess kept on forgetting the name under which our reservation was made, and almost gave our table to someone else who came after us), the main course took quite a while to arrive (we got many apologies about this and didn't particularly mind the wait this time around, but in a different setting it could be annoying) and then some "floor manager" type person tried to hassle us out of the restaurant before we got our desert.Special Features:
- impolite serverOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/25/2013Food was acceptable... but customer service was horrible. Only one server seemed to actually enjoy working there. There was one especially moody one that did not smile at all, and took my entree before I was done. She did not even ask if I was finished with it and I still had a small portion of steak that I was working on. She gave me an impression of wanting to get all the table cleared as soon as possible. In fact, when she was helping another table with the card machine, I actually say her take someone's card, jabbed it into the machine, and when no one made a move to grab the machine right away, she waved it in the middle of the table like she was a vendor at the night market. I was shocked to find such service.Special Features:
- We enjoyed a wonderful 3 courseJoanBFDined on 1/23/2013We enjoyed a wonderful 3 course Dine out meal on a very rainy afternoon. It felt very cosy to be inside this space, nice art and decor!Special Features:
- Not impressed with serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2013I have to say that i wasn't impressed with this place at all and even regret going here for my birthday dinner. The service was pretty bad as we constantly had to ask for drinks and even had to ask to order our food as the server barely made any effort. I figured because gratuity was included (as there were 9 of us) she didnt have to try. Not recommending this place to anyone!Special Features:
- Ate during Dine Out so notoutonthetownwaytoomuchDined on 1/20/2013Ate during Dine Out so not always the best test of a restaurant. Was not at all busy on a Sunday evening and we found the music too loud. We had to move around the table to hear each other. I would imagine it's a great place for younger people wanting to watch a hockey game; I don't think we were the right demographic. Foodwise; thought it was a bit bland. Had boneless ribs which were very tender but not very flavourful, no gravy or sauce. We tend to prefer foods with a lot of flavour. If you like your food easily identifiable (meat beside crisp green vegie) without a lot of added items then you would love this place. Creme brulee dessert was just like everywhere else.Pricewise was decent value; $150 for 3 with 1 btl wine and tip.Special Features:
- I was there for Dine Out,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013I was there for Dine Out, a very good experience. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- No longer great.letaisterDined on 12/27/2012This is my third time at whet bar. Previously, I've had wonderful experiences at the restaurant: great food and great service. Based on that, I recently brought my friends here for a birthday dinner. The staff must have changed because none of them seemed like they knew what to do. The hostess barely greeted me and then the phone rang and she didn't know what whether to answer or keep listening to me... Service was really slow even though the restaurant was pretty much empty. Finally everyone's food came, except mine. I had to ASK why I didn't get my food, and then my food finally came but improperly cooked (basically pasta swimming in a soup). My friend had ordered the same thing. Completely different taste. I may not ever return again.
- Disappointing after very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/17/2012Disappointing after very good previous visits. Service was mediocre at best. Food was good but with poor service - didn't seem as good as in the past.Special Features:
- Often when we see a show onVdizzleDined on 12/14/2012Often when we see a show on Granville Island, we'll have dinner first. Since we rarely eat steak, that dinner is often at the Keg. But we wanted some lighter fare, and Whet looked promising. We made dinner from the small share plates and loved it! Tuna Tataki was outstanding, both in taste and presentation. Crab cake, seafood chowder, and corn bread were all excellent. The beets in the roasted beet salad did not seem to be roasted, and the salad was served cold (I would have done it at room temperature), but it was still good. My glass of Viognier blend was very good. And we liked the café seating in comfy chairs in the front, at least once they kicked up the heat a bit. We would like to return!
- great venue and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/12/2012Mains were ok. Ordered seafood linguine that could have used more flavor. It was too safe, bordering on bland. Chowder was a bit too tangy and pasta sauce-ish. Salmon salad was solid. Bourbon cocktail was very good. Well put together and lots of flavour. Based on the menu and drink experience I would return for appies and drinks but not a full dinner.Special Features:
- We have gone to Whet a coupleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/1/2012We have gone to Whet a couple of times before going to a show at the Arts Club. It is a nice setting, with decent service. The menu has small plates, good for sharing, and the food is decent although a bit pricey. I would recommend for a quick pre-dinner meal.
- Unbelievably Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2012I don't write many reviews but I was very impressed with the staff at Whet, especially our server Nicole and the manager. The restaurant received a huge party right before our reservation so the food took a lot longer than it normally should. The staff was very apologetic about it and even gave us dessert on the house. Just from service alone they have definitely won over my business! I'll be back for sure and recommending them to friends and family. Thanks Whet Resto!Special Features:
- Food was fantastic, althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2012Food was fantastic, although few people in the restaurant for lunch on this rainy Thursday. Seemed like it would be a real hot spot after work or in the evening - probably even at lunch too but just not on this particular day. Good wine selection, friendly service.Special Features:
- Great spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2012Had a great dinner. Service was great and friendly, drinks, appies & entres were served in a timely manner and hot. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Cosy Atmosphere and Great FoodKoalabearVIPDined on 10/30/2012My friend and I loved the cosy,quiet ambience early on a chilly and very wet Tues. I had one of the best burgers I've had in a long time,and my friend thoroughly enjoyed the curry coconut chicken (although light on the chicken) stir fry.Our delightful and charming waiter made an excellent wine choice given our diverse dishes.The only problem was the info about our Art's Club tickets for a 15% discount was not passed on, and there was no time to re-do the bill.It was well handled as the waiter wrote something on a card,which I unfortunately lost in our rush but I suspect something might be done on our next visit as we'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food, service was excellent,RussellDined on 10/27/2012Great food, service was excellent, overall a very positive experience. We had a show to catch and they were very efficient, meal with desert done in less than one hour will go backSpecial Features:
- Just another Vancouver chaincremainsDined on 10/11/2012Just another Vancouver chain restaurant experience, along the lines of Joey's/Cactus Club/Earls/Brown' - similar menu (with the addition of fresh oysters), even the same plates and bowls. The menu itself smelled bad - like an old sponge. Also, either my water glass or the lime wedge (or both!) smelled like fish. Get food to go at the Market - there isn't a restaurant worth sitting down at on Granville Island..
- Our waitress was hard workingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012Our waitress was hard working but service was slow as the restaurant doesn't seem to have any systems in place to coordinate the staff. Her tables were spread around the restaurant and from our seats,where we could see the kitchen, 5 or 6 of the staff spent a lot of time milling around. The hostess sat us,gave us menus and then disappeared. We were about to walk out when our waitress finally had a chance to visit our table and took our drink order. Another 10 minutes intervened before she could return with a glass of wine and a beer. The food,calamari,bouillabaise and jambalaya were fine. Vancouver has a lot of restaurants that produce "fine" food so the Whet Bar will have to up its game for repeat customers.
- I brought out of town guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2012I brought out of town guests here and we were all very impressed. The waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about both the menu and the wine selections. The heated patio made outdoor dining a pleasure.Special Features:
- Terrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2012Ceviche - the one on menu is no longer available because chef was not happy with it. We had the ceviche on special. It was not what I would call ceviche but rather scallops & shrimp in a liquid. But it was different and pretty good. Seafood chowder was terrible. No seafood taste and fairly flavourless. Calamari was even worse. Rubbery, greasy, and flavourless. Service and outdoor seating were very good. But the food was awful. Will not return!Special Features:
- The strawberry cucumber MojitoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2012The strawberry cucumber Mojito tasted like strawberry syrup. It was too sweetSpecial Features:
- YUM! AWESOME chicken satay!HavovieDined on 9/7/2012WOW! This place made me Whet! haha! Kidding! The patio was great, the food was great, and the service was great. My friend and I had an action packed day and just needed some GOOD food at the end of the day, we got awesome seats on the heated patio which would be awesome in winter, and an awesome waiter! We actually only had an hour or less for dinner because we were going to the Theatre Sports right after and our waiter was SO helpful in getting our orders expedited and to us on time! The food standout for me was the appie-Chicken Satay was AMAAZING!!!! I love satay..and I have eated quite a few satays...but this was exceptionally juicy and flavourfull! Thanks WHET!!!!!!! you rock! I will be recommending you for sure!Special Features:
- Great brunch spotCarolinaSDined on 9/2/2012First time at Whet and I'll definitely be back. I was there for brunch with friends, and we were all very happy with the food and service. Friends were very pleased with the Bacon benny. The Bacon & Cheddar omelette was delicious. Their mimosas are a must, especially the mango. Both were generous on prosecco which I appreciated. We also ordered the cornbread and Oyama sausage to share, and they were finished off quickly. Overall the deck was great - bright, water side, breezy. No seating in direct sun if this is what you're looking for. Also, the deck serves as a public walkway, which meant a lot of foot traffic passing by. Plus someone was fueling a boat so it was a little stinky. Still a great experience. Terrific serSpecial Features:
- Service was quick, staff wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2012Service was quick, staff was very friendly, and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Summer's Delight EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012Summer's Delight Enjoyed a relaxing before theatre dinner on the outside patio. Perfect hot, sunny evening, service attentive and can recommend the Pacific cod and Jambalaya & Cornbread. New manager, new chef and great experience all around.Special Features:
- The location is great, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2012The location is great, but I was really disappointed with the quality of the food. The front of house staff were very accommodating, but the serving staff were not as attentive as they should have been.
- GREAT Sangria Good Food OK ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012The kitchen was very accomodating with the special requests at our table (we had some allergies and needed substitutions). Food was fresh, well preparard and tasted great. Value is as expected - I'd say it's reasonable given the location and quality of food. FANTASTIC SANGRIA! Lots of fresh berries and big slices of lime/lemon. Make sure you get the biggest possible pitcher of the Sangria :) Our waitress was friendly and helpful. However, we did find it quite hard to "flag" her down and she kept forgetting to bring us the basics (i.e. water, bread) so we had to ask a few times. Service in general (not just our table) seemed quite slow... which isn't great if you're aiming for a quick din before your VSTL show next door.Special Features:
- Delicious food, very pleasantLuluDined on 8/18/2012Delicious food, very pleasant wait staff. great marina / people views. A wonderful early dinner after seeing Altar Boyz. Parking definitely NOT great - especially if you need handicapped parking! Never did see a sign for it. Not the restaurants fault but a word of warning if you're going to Granville Island.Special Features:
- Horrible service...canucksgirlVIPDined on 7/29/2012We showed up for a reservation and had 20 mins of servers just walking past our table without even looking at us. It took a long while to just get water delivered to the table. It was very disappointing to see tables sat after us get drinks and food before we get water. I will not go back.
- I have eaten at Whet beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2012I have eaten at Whet before and enjoy the view and the great service. The menu that features locally grown food and specialties is another reason I chose to eat here. We came as a group of 5 and the seating was comfortable and roomy. The service was friendly and professional, the wine list, while not extensive was interesting and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- The food was horrible! IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012The food was horrible! I had fish and chips. It had been prepared in advance and reheated; it was greasy, tasted awful and was inedible. I strongly recommend not to eat at Whet.
- Great option for a patio inOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/2/2012Great option for a patio in the summer. The menu is reasonably priced, especially for the excellent quality of the food. I will be back!Special Features:
- Not our first time here, butJessPVIPDined on 5/23/2012Not our first time here, but we won't be back. Took an out of town guest here. Very disappointing in every aspect. Restaurant was almost empty, servers seemed too bored to give good service. Food sounded great on menu, but was very very bland. Too bad. We live a block away and love taking guests out for the views. But this place has gone downhill.
- My friends and I went forOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/5/2012My friends and I went for a late lunch. We found the service was rather slow, and waited for about 30 mins for our food (a beet salad and three orders of fish and chips) to arrive at our table. However, the server was pleasant.
- OK overall. We went thereCCDineVIPDined on 4/21/2012OK overall. We went there for lunch. I found the service to be a bit slow and not really paying attention to our table. We had at some poitn too many empty dishes and no room , but no one was comign by to clean up... Scallops were great, although expensive.
- Antitdote to cold rainy weather!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2012The restaurant looks out over the marina as you enter Granville Island which is a great view. Inside the restaurant has a warm friendly interior with a good number of big comfortable banquettes which face towards the marina view. The food was quite reasonably priced for the entrees. The selections are not cutting edge that leave you wondering how to eat them or what you just ate, however, they were very well done, with a nice variety of choices. This is a restaurant where can spend time (as you eat the wonderful appys) trying to decide between several very good entrees. Well done Whet! Yes, I would go back, mid week, weekend, or late night.Special Features:
- good service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2012good service, good food and reasonable pricing. The only improvement I can think of is to expand the number of beers on tap.Special Features:
- When we arrived found theBlueyDined on 2/4/2012When we arrived found the restaurant very noisy, however we were able hear each other speak. The dine out menu was excellent and enjoyed all 3 courses, very good value.Special Features:
- Great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2012Food was great and service was as well. Came here for dineout and I can easily say that i'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- A bit hard hear but the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/3/2012A bit hard hear but the food and service was excellent.Special Features: