1517 Anderson Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 3R5Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whet.ca/
- Phone: 6046960739
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Northwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine Bar
A word from Whet: kitchen.bar.patio
Located at the Gateway to Granville Island, WHET: kitchen. bar. patio, is Vancouver's newest eating, drinking, and viewing experience. At WHET we focus on using local and organic ingredients in everything we do: Oceanwise seasonal seafoods and Granville island market ingredients like oyama sausage, artesian cheese, island baked breads, and market fresh herbs and spices. We combine a sophisticated seasonal menu with a relaxed atmosphere and panoramic view. Our libations consist of contemporary and modern wine and cocktail offerings which have been created, sourced and refined with a careful mind to stay true to our philosophy of using fresh, vibrant flavours and pairings. We have a wide craft beer selection of both local & international draught and bottled favourites. WHET is open late every night of the week for a glass of wine or cocktail after a show, a late dinner after taking in a famous Granville Island play, or a night out with friends in our cozy and vibrant lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Whet: kitchen.bar.patio - Best Restaurants in Granville Island ›
Whet: kitchen.bar.patio reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (22)scenic view (19)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Not all that.JawkneegreyhamDined on 1/20/2014The next attempt was during dine out Vancouver 2014. For the price, $29 it was okay for a 3 course meal. Neither myself nor my girlfriend liked our dishes which represented 2/3 of the menu. What we didn't like is they opted to charge us $1.50 for a warm glass of water, not hot water but warm water. We also did not appreciate how loud the table next to us was, the sever/host did not consider atleast going over to the table to politely ask them to keep their voices to a reasonable level. It was very disrespectful. We opted to leave early due to how loud the table was.
- DELISHYUMMDined on 1/18/2014Went here for dine-out. Food was great, especially dessert. The crab cakes appetizer was the only disappointing item as they are tiny and served cold, however the beet salad and the crab stuffed salmon entree were amazing!Special Features:
- Excellent Dine-out menuGinaDined on 1/18/2014My salmon was cooked perfectly which I have found from past experience is not often, even at some of the top restaurants. So compliments to the chef for sure. And my friend also love his steak which he said was a very good cut. Friendly service and nice atmosphere overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodronblinDined on 1/18/2014Oysters, Great Beer, Great Food...Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50/50AnupDined on 12/31/2013Restaurant wasn't bad, nothing special about menu. Food lacked flavour. Went there on new years eve and it was only restaurant that had space available. Location is not bad seeing as it's right at the entrance of Granville Island but there are more better places if you venture in Granville a Island a bit.
- Nice little gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013Was Friday night but was quiet because of the holiday. Atmosphere was nice. Salmon was fantastic! Really enjoyed the sponge cake dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2013We have been to this restaurant before and our experience was better then. We were disappointed in the changed menu. My meal was very good but my 3 friends were not too happy with theirs. I don't think we will return.Special Features:
- We went for an early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/3/2013We went for an early dinner before a show at the Revue Stage. There weren't much people, but the service was still attentive. We even got a complimentary dessert, for no reason! :)Special Features:
- Great valueJoyceDined on 11/1/2013The food was definitely above average. The service was great and the prices were extremely reasonable with our 15% theatre-goer discount. We will definitely return before our next Arts Club play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- after play early lunchLuluDined on 10/26/2013Went for an early dinner/late lunch after the play at the Arts Club theatre and had a great time. Oysters were great, loved how their menu describes them to a T. have been once before and the service, food and ambience were not disappointing. loved it and will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food and friendly servicebmarieVIPDined on 9/14/2013The food at drinks at Whet were good. The service was friendly but not super attentive. We'd go back for a casual meal but it's nothing special.Special Features:
- Missed opportunitiesGregDined on 9/8/2013My fiancé and I had been to whet a before a while back and enjoyed our lunch. However, for brunch this time, we were disappointed with the food & service. Our waitress was apparently hung over and not on-top-of-her-game. Our food was bland and quite plain, in addition to the most poorly made Caesar drink I have ever ordered. We were disappointed because we felt for the amazing view and location, the food did not match up - making me rather go to breakfast restaurants elsewhere on Granville island or kits. We hope you guys can turn it around, Greg Ps The host and busser were fantastic & without them we most likely would of left.Special Features:
- Lovely evening on the patio.jolleegoodDined on 8/27/2013We went here for my husband's birthday dinner before going to a play at the Arts Club. The 4 of us shared 8 plates off the sharing menu. Everything was good and the service was great. The patio was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK for drinks but overpriced food.MandDined on 8/26/2013The sharing plates are too small for sharing. I've seen many one person appetizers that were much bigger than this. Salsa and tortillas to share comes with just about enough chips for one person. Our entrées lacked any depth of flavour. Service varied from OK (our main waiter) to weird (a random waitress wanted to clear up my glass of wine, which I hadn't yet finished - and it was obvious we weren't leaving yet - because 'lately people have been leaving their drinks unfinished'. She actually reached for it and started taking it away. What was *that* about????). We had indicated we were going to catch a show at 7.30 at the Arts Club, yet service was very slow and we were nearly late for our show in the end. Not going back!
- PiratesKathrynDined on 8/10/2013We came dressed as pirates for my sister's bachelorette party and we were treated to amazing service, great pirate drinks, and wonderful food! We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- Nice treat.NomnomnomDined on 8/8/2013We started with the oyster platter - 4 different kinds with fresh horseradish, lemon, a cucumber sauce and coarse salt. They were delicious. For lunch, we split the calamari, crab cakes and the oyster frites. All three dishes were great, and were paired nicely with local wines and beers. We sat on the patio, which doesn't have the most breathtaking view of Granville Island, but it's still a decent area looking into the marina. Unfortunately there was construction work being done on a nearby bridge, which was LOUD. Of course, the restaurant can't be blamed for that, but it definitely took away from part of the experience, and our server said it happens every couple of months. Overall, a great experience for our 3-hour Granville Island day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on GranvilleCityGalDined on 8/7/2013Found this little gem on the south end of Granville Island to be a perfect early dining option for my family, including my 3 yr old daughter. Meals and service were both fantastic. They have a sunny south-facing patio over looking False Creek -- which was unfortunately too hot for us the day we dined, but it would be great for those wanting to soak up the sun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013We found the food very overpriced for the mediocre quality. The back ground music was, perhaps, trendy for the young servers, but not to our taste or what we'd consider good for a dining experience. I had the fish and chip order, priced at $24 for the same thing I could get for 1/3 the price at a street cart. The one positive was that extremely attentive servers, who were tripping over each other trying to be helpful to the clientele. Our server noted that my dining companion was given onion, even though it was asked to be excluded, and she checked her order notes with the kitchen but there was no offset compensation or other offer to rectify. I doubt we'll go back to this establishment, although we are often dining out on the island.
- Service with a SmileFrazzelDined on 7/13/2013Connie our server was above and beyond!! The staff as a whole absolutely knows what customer service is and Connie was probably one of the best servers I have encountered in a very long time. Oh and the food was fantastic! Just the right portion size, unlimited coffee refills and did not rush us out the door we were able to enjoy our brunch and chat. I will be going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although the portions areMMMMDined on 6/28/2013Although the portions are not big, the food is very tasty. The ambience was nice with a scenic view and cosy feel. The booth we sat in was very comfortable. There is lots of space between the tables. It was not noisy which was perfect for chatting. The prices are reasonable for the area and the beer and wine selection good. I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you are wanting a meal on Granville Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to gatherkellyDined on 6/7/2013For a birthday party we were able to book tables to seat 18! When more than 20 showed up the staff happily accommodated. Our crew was one of those nightmare groups where people change seats and add tables at whim. The staff was really great! We were able to watch the sun set with the gentle breeze coming in through these opened giant overhead doors - we practically felt like we were out on their patio. The price was typical for Granville island, a little steep but the food was good. They had some gluten free options and can modify most dishes for vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Location, Fair Food/ServicesunnyDined on 6/6/2013We went early (5pm) on a sunny Thursday evening. I had requested a patio seat for my friend and I and was happy that they were able to accommodate. I had 4 oysters (1 of each available that day). They were ok, but I've had better, especially for the price. It was a relatively casual night, so I had the pesto chicken sandwich. Unfortunately, the chicken wasn't seasoned nearly enough. I ended up putting pepper, salt and hot sauce on it. My friend had the halibut and loved it. So I suppose it's a mixed review on the food front. Service, unfortunately, was slow. The restaurant was not nearly full. I'm not sure what the problem was. Great location. The patio is a nice sunny spot right on the water.Special Features:
- Great ServiceIllumanatiDined on 5/27/2013The staff at this restaurant were fantastic. The service was exceptional. We were having a small work celebration, and they made every effort to make it even more special. The atmosphere was great and on top of everything the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for groups, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2013The food is fair, some items on the menu were not available. Service is very variable. Not for groups. We booked for my sons birthday party with a special note on the reservation. On arrival no table had been set, with no note of request. We were seated literally in a row and told a new table would be set up on the patio. Fifteen minutes later we saw the proposed table given to someone else. The manager arrived to say there was nothing she could do. In exasperation we explained it was a birthday celebration and we were extremely disappointed, she was very rude, but finally agreed to set up a table for us in a new location. After a further 20 minutes we were relocated. A new waitress managed us rather more pleasantly for the meal.Special Features:
- Incredible Service, Delicious FoodGeoffSetterDined on 5/5/2013Great presentation. Cool tunes, quiet enough to converse. Enormous patio doors open to allow summer in. Hostesses were genuinely friendly and eager to accommodate. Our server exuded enthusiasm for the food, and bent over backwards to provide choices that are Veggie friendly, they will accommodate diner requests. Fabulous evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's ok but very forgettable.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2013It's ok but very forgettable. Food presentation was beautiful but two dishes lacked taste. Fish tacos were good but two for $12....a little steep. Will not return.Special Features:
- Fabulous LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2013We absolutely enjoyed our lunch. I had the fish tacos and the beet and goat cheese salad, my husband the Whet Burger and fries. We could not have been happier with the taste the presentation (outstanding), the originality and the service. We were impressed not only by the fresh selection of food but also by the local offerings of wines and beers. I would definitely go there again. Thanks Whet staff!Special Features:
- Have been several times -OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/21/2013Have been several times - food is always great and friendly service.Special Features:
- The scallop and shrimp cevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013The scallop and shrimp ceviche was delicious - the flavors blended well together! My friend ordered the seafood chowder and we thought the portion for a bit too small, for an appetizer. The salmon was cooked perfectly - not too well done.
- We had a great dinner here.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013We had a great dinner here. The ambiance is cozy with the location right in the heart of Granville Island. My friend had an excellent cocktail called Lipstick Jungle and they had a good selection of local wines. We had the ceviche which was ok. There was more sauce it would have been good to have a bit more favor and chips to eat with the ceviche. The beef melted of the bone and was very tender and tasty roasted potatoes. My friend had the salmon with the curry and yogurt sauce which was really good too. The best part was the dessert. I had the Belgian Chocolate Mousse which was so smooth, creamy and chocolately and also the vanilla creme brulee was delicious and you can actually taste the vanilla favour. Definitely will go again.Special Features:
- WE WERE IMPRESSED WITH THEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/2/2013WE WERE IMPRESSED WITH THE FOOD FOR DINE OUT VANCOUVER. THE CEVICHE WAS GOOD BUT THE PORTION OF THE DUCK WAS BETTER AND THE TASTE WITH A BIT OF SWEETNESS HAD SHADE SO OF CANARD A L'ORANGE BUT WITH A CHINESE TOUCH. THE CREPE A LA NORMAND, WAS GOOD TOO. YES I WOULD COME AGAIN. THE DINE OUT PRICE HOWEVER WAS GREAT!!!Special Features:
- came here for dine out vancouver,bonbonDined on 2/2/2013came here for dine out vancouver, $28 3 course was a bargain, excellent food, generous portions, great menu choices. I had the shrimp and scallop ceviche as starter, the scallops were big... the duck leg main course was really good, crispy skin, tender meat, flavourful the dessert was pretty good as well also ordered half a dozen oysters (summer breeze) for $10...the oysters were fresh and plump overall, i would definitely come back for a second time. Great location, free parking, scenic view!Special Features:
- This is one of our favouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2013This is one of our favourite restaurants. We visited for Dine Out Vancouver on a Friday night. As always, the food was very good, but we felt that we were being rushed through our dinner a bit at this busy time. Our plates from the first course were cleared immediately after our first mouthful and the second course was already on it's way to our table arriving within seconds. Otherwise it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Having been to Whet beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2013Having been to Whet before I was now intrducing four friends to the Whet experience. Their comments were very positive.Special Features:
- Perfect Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/29/2013Loved our girls night out at Whet. Food was amazing. I had the crispy duck leg, my friends had the salmon. We all commented on how delicious our food was. For dessert, I had chocolate mousse, they had the creme brulee. Again, very tasty. Our server was perfect - there when we needed her, absent when we ate and chatted. Highly recommend. I know we'll be back!Special Features:
- We had a great experiencefoodloverDined on 1/28/2013We had a great experience at WHET - our waitress was extremely accommodating and pleasant; we all loved out duck entrees - amazing!! I will definitely be back for the duck! The noise level was on the high side, a little hard to hear but I guess most restaurants are like that. As I said, our waitress was awesome, though at times it was quite a long time before she would come back to our table.Special Features:
- Did the Dine Out VancouverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/27/2013Did the Dine Out Vancouver menu. The mains and deserts were amazing! Will come back for the crispy duck. Appies were good but could have been better. Food came out too soon with each course but server apologized/ explained. Wine pairings were good. Server could have had more personality.Special Features:
- I ordered a cup of coffee,PAMELADined on 1/27/2013I ordered a cup of coffee, it's cold. No lunch menu.Special Features:
- Thought your Dine Out VancouverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013Thought your Dine Out Vancouver option was very expensive and really more of a dinner menu. We had been to Season'in the park for Dine Out and their dinner menu was $28.00.Special Features:
- Went there for their dineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013Went there for their dine out menu and the food was good- appetizer, entree and especially the dessert creme brule. It was a nice set up inside and service was good and friendly.Special Features: