Academy Ocean Grille
2 Academy Place
Orleans, MA 02653Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Academy Ocean Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.academyoceangrille.com/
- Phone: 5082401585x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Tapas: Daily from 11:30am - Close at Junior's Bar
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Todd Davis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do not offer off-site catering, but have prepared appetizers and cold plates for guests to pick up.
- Private Party Facilities: With an intimate dining room that can accommodate up to 55 people and a dining bar, as well as an open air patio, we welcome private parties looking for a relaxing location to host their events.
- Private Party Contact: Erica Goldberg Cummings 8886081360
- Special Events: Throughout the year we offer special Holiday Menus (Easter, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve) as well has special dinners like our semi-annual Beer Dinners.
A word from Academy Ocean Grille
Located right off Route 28 in Orleans, the Grille offers a menu of eclectic global dishes with a touch of Cape Cod. The dining room offers a casual elegance; Junior's Bar is perfect for a light bite or a cocktail before dinner. Additional seating is available seasonally on the breezy patio. Eclectic definitely describes the menu where Salmon Gravlax with Potato Pancakes, Raspberry & Brie Springrolls and Pork Potstickers are among the many appetizers offered. Customer favorites include grilled Monkfish & Lobster Provencal, Veal Saltimbocca and Frutta de Mare. Lazy Sundays are perfect for lingering over Eggs Benedict and Bloody Mary's or sip a mimosa while enjoying our Kahlua Stuffed French Toast. Lunch features an array of sandwiches and salads along with heartier items for diners looking for more of a midday meal. Don't forget the special Tapas and Flatbread Pizza menu available exclusively at Junior's Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Academy Ocean Grille - Best Restaurants in Orleans ›
Academy Ocean Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (14)romantic (10)notable wine list (6)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2013Loved the ambiance of the restaurant. The fish was amazing - halibut, cod and salmon w/ blue crab were all delicious. We loved the presentation and the variety of sides on each plate. We arrived quite a bit before our reservation and were able to be seated even before the time of our reservation in a very crowded restaurant. This was a great find on the Cape - casual with delicious food and great service. Desserts looked amazing but we were stuffed! Recommend the crab rangoon and raspberry and brie spring rolls as appetizers as well. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- a mixed baglolaDined on 6/29/2013ignored by owner or manager when we entered. Nicely decorated. Food was mixed. Cod very bland and ordinary. Salmon quite good. Waitress seemed in a hurry to get us out and turn over the table. But, they take reservations which is very convenient on season. Probably better for lunch, but I know we will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2013Food was just ok. I ordered spring rolls and they came fried and so hot, it took 15 min for them to cool to eat them. The horseradish crusted fish dish had no taste of horseradish. The waitress told us later that we could have asked for more horseradish and most people don't like to taste it! The hazelnut crusted haddock was better but we still could not taste the hazelnuts. The Creme Boulee was delicious.Special Features:
- lovely cape experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/26/2013Enjoyed the Academy Ocean Grille menu selections. Great assortment of seafood offerings, with very nice treatment of cape favorites such as Cod and Swordfish. and a reasonably priced wine selection. Quiet, comfortable seating. Wonderful quality of service provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant meal. TheremaceatsDined on 6/22/2013Very pleasant meal. There were five of us and we were put at a round table in the corner which was perfect since one of us is hard of hearing. The service was attentive and timely and everyone's choice of meal was delicious. Also the rolls were warm and fresh! Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The GrillJohnBDined on 6/10/2013Good food, and wine topped off by friendly competent servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentknitter101Dined on 5/31/2013Had a great meal with friends... food was excellent, wine was perfect, and our waiter was attentive without being annoying Recommended!Special Features:
- A Must Go ToOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2013We have been to this restaurant 4 times in the past and it has been consistently good. The wait staff is pleasant and efficient although we have never felt rushed. The swordfish and sole are our favorites, absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife ordered cod, I orderedTonyVIPDined on 5/16/2013My wife ordered cod, I ordered sole. Both were soft and mushy. They reminded us of previously frozen fish served at restaurants that don't have access to fresh fish Of course that shouldn't be the case in Cape Cod! We mentioned the consistency of the fish to our server. She went to the kitchen and came back with a message from the chef: Fish that isn't soft is overcooked. We shouldn't expect well cooked, fresh fish to be firm and flaky. Not a good response.
- Friendly service, varied menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Friendly service, varied menu and moderate pricing have made Academy Ocean Grille our restaurant of choice in the Orleans area. We highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Academy Ocean Grill is a must visit. We went for Sunday Brunch on Mother's Day. Our reservation was honored immediate upon our arrival. The restaurant was busy but not overcrowded. Part of this may be due to the fact that tables are well spaced. You can actually talk in a normal voice and be heard without talking over everyone around you. We both had fish which was fresh and well prepared. Sauces were light and flavorful. Best of all food was served steaming hot. Dietary request were easily accomodated. Service was good and attentive. I highly recommend reservations as this could be a popular Cape Cod spot in the summer season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We dined on a busy SaturdayHotdocDined on 5/4/2013We dined on a busy Saturday night in the off season. The restaurant is easily located, and convenient to major roads, near the intersection of 6A, 6 and 28. The food was surprisingly good, well presented, fresh and hot. Menu choices were varied, but limited in number. Our only concern was the wait for dinner. We were seated about 630, and drinks and first course were served promptly. However, our dinners did not arrive until close to 730. As long as you are not in a hurry (we had show tickets at 8), this would be an excellent choice in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Understated experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/24/2013Visited the Academy for the second time after a good first experience. Don't eect to be wowed by the setting or deco, both are pleasant but not distinctive. The food, however, is all prepared fresh and with nice touches and excellent quality. Portions are sensible, not generous, but not "gourmet tiny" either. The wine list is like the everything else at Academy - good quality and just enough to satisfy without overwhelming you with choices, or disappointing you with too few. We will visit again, considering Academy a good option among a few in Orleans (Abba, Nauset Beach Club, Mahoney's, and Joes at the Barley Neck Inn).Special Features:
- Easter brunch/lunchKayFDined on 3/31/2013Went on Easter Sunday. Great experience as the food was good and the service was excellent! Everyone was very accommodating to our group and friendly. We had never been here even though been to the Cape many times and my mother lives in Harwichport! We will return! Especially Loved the brunch offerings...Special Features:
- Acedemy Ocean Grill worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2013I like this restaurant because it is a good value. Some of their dishes are better than others. Love the escargot and their surf and turf. Wines are good though not a big selection. Fish dishes are good. I would give this restaurant a good value rating and will return again.Special Features:
- We always enjoy our mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012We always enjoy our meals here. Most of the time we have their tapas-style food at the bar but for New Years w had their prix-fixe dinner. The food was excellent and served in huge quantities by the attentive staff.Special Features:
- This is one of our local favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012This is one of our local favorites and a New Years Eve dinner was excellent. Consistently great food, prompt service, but never a rushed meal.Special Features:
- Boy..cost us more than everOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Boy..cost us more than ever for special New Years dinner...mash potates instant..steak poor quality..vegetables soggy..my chocolate baked pudding dry..not up to usual..step son had fries and chicken fingers..soda and admittedly, we had wine costing maybe 60 dollars..bill came to 268.00 dollars...could have gone dancing etc for that ..plus our anniversary..which they new..service good and my fish dish was good, but overall big dissappointment.Special Features:
- Great, great meal. I hadBrianDined on 12/18/2012Great, great meal. I had the veal and my wife had the swordfish, both perfectly done!Special Features:
- What a wonderful dinner! .CommandereatsDined on 12/1/2012What a wonderful dinner! . Our waitress, Ellen, was a delight! When she heard that we were going to the theater, she made sure that our order was placed promptly.The raspberry, brie spring rolls were delicious! Our main courses were all well prepared and extremely tasty. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- We went for the fixed priceWolfie88VIPDined on 11/22/2012We went for the fixed price Thanksgiving meal. The food was great. The service and ambience were quite good and the price was very reasonable. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Great local restaurant forOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/22/2012Great local restaurant for a special dinner. We really enjoyed our Thanksgiving meal.Special Features:
- Last year I proposed to myOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Last year I proposed to my wife there and went there often. This past summer, found the gentleman who hosted to be offensive and rude! Consequently we never went back again during the summer. Thought we would try again , enjoyed ourselves and relieved that the rude guy was not there.
- Many reasons to return!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/17/2012Academy Ocean Grille may be on a major road, but you would never know it. It is serene inside and overlooks a wooded area from the dining room. The staff was extremely personal and made us feel welcome. The food was creative and exectuted well. I will definitely be going back. I was especially happy to find that they were one of the few good restaurants open at lunch time during the off-season.Special Features:
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/4/2012Food presentation is very nice. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Best Dinner to DateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Best dinner we have ever had! The sole francese was out of this world. Totally worth spending a little extra money---made our anniversary very special!Special Features:
- We had a lovely dinner atfancythis72VIPDined on 10/20/2012We had a lovely dinner at Academy Ocean Grille Saturday night.The handmade crab rangoons and sauce were outstanding.My husband loved the special oysters in a lobster cream sauce.The veal saltombocca was perfect.I had leg of lamb which was cooked just right with an unusual mint Bernie's sauce.The wine was fabulous.Out waitress was very friendly and helpful.This is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- We found Academy Ocean Grillehallhigh70Dined on 10/6/2012We found Academy Ocean Grille here on Open Table looking for a restaurant on Cape Cod, that was still open ( as many close for the season in October) and within a reasonable drive from Yarmouth. We read the reviews and checked out the menu and made a reservation. We arrived at 5:30 and were seated immediately. It was really an excellent meal, service was fantastic and a relaxed place to dine. The portions were not overwhelming and were just as great as any highly acclaimed restaurant in a major city like Boston or elsewhere. It is definitely a place to go to once, and then go back again and again.Special Features:
- Your restaurant was recommendedBerkshirePATDined on 10/3/2012Your restaurant was recommended by fellow golfer that our relatives played with on the Cape. we listened to his recommendation and enjoyed a great lunch.Special Features:
- Disappointing night.ItalianVIPDined on 10/2/2012Lovely setting, wonderful room, good lighting and very caring and entertaining staff. My shrimp scampi was different with the stuffed ravioli accompaniment and very light sauce but tasty. However, my husband's chicken was pressed, very rubbery and the mashed potatoes were not from scratch. The salads and dessert were delicious so I am left with a split decision. On the whole I was very disappointed at the use of inferior ingredients in what purports to be a class restaurant.
- The four of us had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2012The four of us had a great dinner, and our waitress had the perfect balance of being attentive but not overly so. Everything was wonderful and we would come back again.Special Features:
- An excellent evening. HighlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/1/2012An excellent evening. Highly recommended. Don't miss the "Sticky Toffee Pudding" for dessert!Special Features:
- Our group has enjoyed an intimateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012Our group has enjoyed an intimate birthday celebration at Academy Ocean Grille for the past four years. The food , service, and atmosphere never disappoint. We decided to try dinner on the deck next season.Special Features:
- My favorite mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2012I had the horseradish encrusted cod for the third time - delicious and it comes with mashed sweet potatoes and vegetable. This is one of my favorite meals anywhere--- and the warm English sticky cake is out of this world and definitely rich enough for sharing!Special Features:
- Academy ocean grille, the greatest!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2012Excellent food and service, small and quiet. Quite a change from many cape restaurants. Highest recommendation!Special Features:
- Service was very good, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2012Service was very good, food was great. Had guests from Manhattan who have high expectations when it comes to dining out; they loved it. Ambience was very nice although dress did not need to be upscale. Look forward to going back again next year.Special Features:
- Academy Ocean Grill is a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/21/2012Academy Ocean Grill is a very inviting and comfortable venue for friends, family and spouses. The menu is always innovative, especially the appetizers, and the portions nicely sized. On this occasion we had a dinner of appetizers and a salad. On other occasions we're enjoyed their innovative fish dishes. We visit often and comfortably recommend it to others.
- a 'nice' place to eat locallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2012a 'nice' place to eat locally - good food, friendly, not 'fancy'
- This was our first time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2012This was our first time dining at the Academy Grille and our experience was wonderful. We each had a dish from the blackboard specials and they both were excellent - scallops divan and seafood fra diavolo. We shared Sticky toffee pudding for dessert which was delicious. Our waitress was friendly, helpful and timely. We will certainly return to try another dish on the menu.Special Features:
- We celebrated a birthday andGayleDined on 9/6/2012We celebrated a birthday and enjoyed a truly special dinner at the Academy Ocean Grille. Three of us thoroughly devoured the appetizers, wine recommendation, and delicious dinner. I asked for a window table when making the reservations and the request was accommodated. Excellent service with a friendly disposition and smiles!We look forward to our next visit.Special Features: