Academy Ocean Grille
2 Academy Place
Orleans, MA 02653Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Academy Ocean Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.academyoceangrille.com/
- Phone: 5082401585x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Tapas: Tuesday - Sunday from 11:30am - Close at Junior's Bar
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Todd Davis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do not offer off-site catering, but have prepared appetizers and cold plates for guests to pick up.
- Private Party Facilities: With an intimate dining room that can accommodate up to 55 people and a dining bar, as well as an open air patio, we welcome private parties looking for a relaxing location to host their events.
- Private Party Contact: Erica Goldberg Cummings 8886081360
- Special Events: Throughout the year we offer special Holiday Menus (Easter, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve) as well has special dinners like our semi-annual Beer Dinners.
A word from Academy Ocean Grille
Located right off Route 28 in Orleans, the Grille offers a menu of eclectic global dishes with a touch of Cape Cod. The dining room offers a casual elegance; Junior's Bar is perfect for a light bite or a cocktail before dinner. Additional seating is available seasonally on the breezy patio. Eclectic definitely describes the menu where Salmon Gravlax with Potato Pancakes, Raspberry & Brie Springrolls and Pork Potstickers are among the many appetizers offered. Customer favorites include grilled Monkfish & Lobster Provencal, Veal Saltimbocca and Frutta de Mare. Lazy Sundays are perfect for lingering over Eggs Benedict and Bloody Mary's or sip a mimosa while enjoying our Kahlua Stuffed French Toast. Lunch features an array of sandwiches and salads along with heartier items for diners looking for more of a midday meal. Don't forget the special Tapas and Flatbread Pizza menu available exclusively at Junior's Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Academy Ocean Grille - Best Restaurants in Orleans ›
Academy Ocean Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (30)special occasion (19)romantic (13)good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Academy, really?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2013They definitely still need to learn and I could have given them a few pointers... Food was OK, nothing more... Clam showder and seefood casserole had no taste. Service was cold.
- Good food, passable serviceNatphoruDined on 7/22/2013Our group of 6 was greeted by the host, who was visibly and audibly upset that we had unfortunately dropped from our original reservation of 8. This is perhaps understandable, but he made it seem like they could no longer accommodate us and we expected to leave at this point. We were shown to our table after a moment, and lucky for us we dropped to 6 as the tiny table we were seated at struggled to seat the 6 of us. Our waitress came by promptly and was audibly upset when, despite not even being fully seated yet and despite having provided only one wine menu, we didn't have our drink order ready to go. Despite the service, though, the food was very good. We had almost every appetizer and every entree with no disappointment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyablelocalgalDined on 7/20/2013My husband and I ate at Academy Ocean Grille on July 20, 2013. None of us had been there before but we had tickets for a theater performance just down the street, so we thought we'd try it. In making the reservation, we requested a quiet spot since the husbands are both a little hard of hearing. The restaurant staff took note and gave us a little corner table which was perfect. The food and the service were very good and just what we expected after reading a number of reviews for the restaurant. When in the area again, we won't hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We returned to the AcademyluvstxVIPDined on 7/19/2013We returned to the Academy Ocean Grill with friends on a hot Friday night and it did not disappoint. It's a great spot for very good food (both the cod and the special halibut were excellent) in a pretty quiet dining room. Our waitress was very attentive and had a good sense of humor. Love that they take reservations which is unusual on the cape in the summertime.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesJoanDined on 7/14/2013Am never disappointed with the food. Especially enjoy the Academy for lunch and Sun. brunch as it offers more substantial mid-day selections. Prices are reasonable and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No knowledge of our reservation.BobSeaDined on 7/11/2013We reserved thru Open Table, but when we arrived, the restaurant had no record of our reservation. I showed the confirmation e-mail (Thank You Open Table) to the hostess & we were promptly seated. All 4 in our party enjoyed our meals. Service was not rushed. Enjoyable evening; will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseKate1VIPDined on 7/9/2013We found this restaurant by looking on Open Table for restaurants in the Brewster area where we were staying. We wanted a restaurant that took reservations. Academy Ocean Grille doesn't look like much from the outside but the interior is very pleasant. There were five of us for dinner. Service was friendly and very good. We all enjoyed our meals very much and will definitely return next year when we are on the Cape.
- Picked randomly... WonderfulQuantaltDined on 7/5/2013Last minute plans for a romantic dinner and it was perfect. We had three appetizers and an entrée. Seafood included the best tasting scallops I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!SusanDined on 7/3/2013We enjoyed a delicious dinner. We were initially disappointed with the wait staff, as we sat for about 15 minutes before someone attended to our table. That was after we called a waiter over. Staff was very apologetic and service was fine after that initial period. We both ordered the sole Francais which was delicious. It contained a crab topping which i am allergic to and the restaurant substituted scallops for a small addtional fee. Portions were very substantial. Asparagus was slightly over cooked. Too full for dessert but next time we will save room for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2013Loved the ambiance of the restaurant. The fish was amazing - halibut, cod and salmon w/ blue crab were all delicious. We loved the presentation and the variety of sides on each plate. We arrived quite a bit before our reservation and were able to be seated even before the time of our reservation in a very crowded restaurant. This was a great find on the Cape - casual with delicious food and great service. Desserts looked amazing but we were stuffed! Recommend the crab rangoon and raspberry and brie spring rolls as appetizers as well. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- a mixed baglolaDined on 6/29/2013ignored by owner or manager when we entered. Nicely decorated. Food was mixed. Cod very bland and ordinary. Salmon quite good. Waitress seemed in a hurry to get us out and turn over the table. But, they take reservations which is very convenient on season. Probably better for lunch, but I know we will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ok!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2013Food was just ok. I ordered spring rolls and they came fried and so hot, it took 15 min for them to cool to eat them. The horseradish crusted fish dish had no taste of horseradish. The waitress told us later that we could have asked for more horseradish and most people don't like to taste it! The hazelnut crusted haddock was better but we still could not taste the hazelnuts. The Creme Boulee was delicious.Special Features:
- lovely cape experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/26/2013Enjoyed the Academy Ocean Grille menu selections. Great assortment of seafood offerings, with very nice treatment of cape favorites such as Cod and Swordfish. and a reasonably priced wine selection. Quiet, comfortable seating. Wonderful quality of service provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant meal. TheremaceatsDined on 6/22/2013Very pleasant meal. There were five of us and we were put at a round table in the corner which was perfect since one of us is hard of hearing. The service was attentive and timely and everyone's choice of meal was delicious. Also the rolls were warm and fresh! Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The GrillJohnBDined on 6/10/2013Good food, and wine topped off by friendly competent servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentknitter101Dined on 5/31/2013Had a great meal with friends... food was excellent, wine was perfect, and our waiter was attentive without being annoying Recommended!Special Features:
- A Must Go ToOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2013We have been to this restaurant 4 times in the past and it has been consistently good. The wait staff is pleasant and efficient although we have never felt rushed. The swordfish and sole are our favorites, absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife ordered cod, I orderedTonyVIPDined on 5/16/2013My wife ordered cod, I ordered sole. Both were soft and mushy. They reminded us of previously frozen fish served at restaurants that don't have access to fresh fish Of course that shouldn't be the case in Cape Cod! We mentioned the consistency of the fish to our server. She went to the kitchen and came back with a message from the chef: Fish that isn't soft is overcooked. We shouldn't expect well cooked, fresh fish to be firm and flaky. Not a good response.
- Friendly service, varied menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Friendly service, varied menu and moderate pricing have made Academy Ocean Grille our restaurant of choice in the Orleans area. We highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013Academy Ocean Grill is a must visit. We went for Sunday Brunch on Mother's Day. Our reservation was honored immediate upon our arrival. The restaurant was busy but not overcrowded. Part of this may be due to the fact that tables are well spaced. You can actually talk in a normal voice and be heard without talking over everyone around you. We both had fish which was fresh and well prepared. Sauces were light and flavorful. Best of all food was served steaming hot. Dietary request were easily accomodated. Service was good and attentive. I highly recommend reservations as this could be a popular Cape Cod spot in the summer season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We dined on a busy SaturdayHotdocDined on 5/4/2013We dined on a busy Saturday night in the off season. The restaurant is easily located, and convenient to major roads, near the intersection of 6A, 6 and 28. The food was surprisingly good, well presented, fresh and hot. Menu choices were varied, but limited in number. Our only concern was the wait for dinner. We were seated about 630, and drinks and first course were served promptly. However, our dinners did not arrive until close to 730. As long as you are not in a hurry (we had show tickets at 8), this would be an excellent choice in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Understated experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/24/2013Visited the Academy for the second time after a good first experience. Don't eect to be wowed by the setting or deco, both are pleasant but not distinctive. The food, however, is all prepared fresh and with nice touches and excellent quality. Portions are sensible, not generous, but not "gourmet tiny" either. The wine list is like the everything else at Academy - good quality and just enough to satisfy without overwhelming you with choices, or disappointing you with too few. We will visit again, considering Academy a good option among a few in Orleans (Abba, Nauset Beach Club, Mahoney's, and Joes at the Barley Neck Inn).Special Features:
- Easter brunch/lunchKayFDined on 3/31/2013Went on Easter Sunday. Great experience as the food was good and the service was excellent! Everyone was very accommodating to our group and friendly. We had never been here even though been to the Cape many times and my mother lives in Harwichport! We will return! Especially Loved the brunch offerings...Special Features:
- Acedemy Ocean Grill worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2013I like this restaurant because it is a good value. Some of their dishes are better than others. Love the escargot and their surf and turf. Wines are good though not a big selection. Fish dishes are good. I would give this restaurant a good value rating and will return again.Special Features:
- We always enjoy our mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012We always enjoy our meals here. Most of the time we have their tapas-style food at the bar but for New Years w had their prix-fixe dinner. The food was excellent and served in huge quantities by the attentive staff.Special Features:
- This is one of our local favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012This is one of our local favorites and a New Years Eve dinner was excellent. Consistently great food, prompt service, but never a rushed meal.Special Features:
- Boy..cost us more than everOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Boy..cost us more than ever for special New Years dinner...mash potates instant..steak poor quality..vegetables soggy..my chocolate baked pudding dry..not up to usual..step son had fries and chicken fingers..soda and admittedly, we had wine costing maybe 60 dollars..bill came to 268.00 dollars...could have gone dancing etc for that ..plus our anniversary..which they new..service good and my fish dish was good, but overall big dissappointment.Special Features:
- Great, great meal. I hadBrianDined on 12/18/2012Great, great meal. I had the veal and my wife had the swordfish, both perfectly done!Special Features:
- What a wonderful dinner! .CommandereatsDined on 12/1/2012What a wonderful dinner! . Our waitress, Ellen, was a delight! When she heard that we were going to the theater, she made sure that our order was placed promptly.The raspberry, brie spring rolls were delicious! Our main courses were all well prepared and extremely tasty. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- We went for the fixed priceWolfie88VIPDined on 11/22/2012We went for the fixed price Thanksgiving meal. The food was great. The service and ambience were quite good and the price was very reasonable. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Great local restaurant forOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/22/2012Great local restaurant for a special dinner. We really enjoyed our Thanksgiving meal.Special Features:
- Last year I proposed to myOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Last year I proposed to my wife there and went there often. This past summer, found the gentleman who hosted to be offensive and rude! Consequently we never went back again during the summer. Thought we would try again , enjoyed ourselves and relieved that the rude guy was not there.
- Many reasons to return!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/17/2012Academy Ocean Grille may be on a major road, but you would never know it. It is serene inside and overlooks a wooded area from the dining room. The staff was extremely personal and made us feel welcome. The food was creative and exectuted well. I will definitely be going back. I was especially happy to find that they were one of the few good restaurants open at lunch time during the off-season.Special Features:
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/4/2012Food presentation is very nice. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Best Dinner to DateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Best dinner we have ever had! The sole francese was out of this world. Totally worth spending a little extra money---made our anniversary very special!Special Features:
- We had a lovely dinner atfancythis72VIPDined on 10/20/2012We had a lovely dinner at Academy Ocean Grille Saturday night.The handmade crab rangoons and sauce were outstanding.My husband loved the special oysters in a lobster cream sauce.The veal saltombocca was perfect.I had leg of lamb which was cooked just right with an unusual mint Bernie's sauce.The wine was fabulous.Out waitress was very friendly and helpful.This is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- We found Academy Ocean Grillehallhigh70Dined on 10/6/2012We found Academy Ocean Grille here on Open Table looking for a restaurant on Cape Cod, that was still open ( as many close for the season in October) and within a reasonable drive from Yarmouth. We read the reviews and checked out the menu and made a reservation. We arrived at 5:30 and were seated immediately. It was really an excellent meal, service was fantastic and a relaxed place to dine. The portions were not overwhelming and were just as great as any highly acclaimed restaurant in a major city like Boston or elsewhere. It is definitely a place to go to once, and then go back again and again.Special Features:
- Your restaurant was recommendedBerkshirePATDined on 10/3/2012Your restaurant was recommended by fellow golfer that our relatives played with on the Cape. we listened to his recommendation and enjoyed a great lunch.Special Features:
- Disappointing night.ItalianVIPDined on 10/2/2012Lovely setting, wonderful room, good lighting and very caring and entertaining staff. My shrimp scampi was different with the stuffed ravioli accompaniment and very light sauce but tasty. However, my husband's chicken was pressed, very rubbery and the mashed potatoes were not from scratch. The salads and dessert were delicious so I am left with a split decision. On the whole I was very disappointed at the use of inferior ingredients in what purports to be a class restaurant.
- The four of us had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2012The four of us had a great dinner, and our waitress had the perfect balance of being attentive but not overly so. Everything was wonderful and we would come back again.Special Features: