Academy Ocean Grille
2 Academy Place
Orleans, MA 02653Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Academy Ocean Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.academyoceangrille.com/
- Phone: 5082401585x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Tapas: Tuesday - Sunday from 11:30am - Close at Junior's Bar
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Todd Davis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do not offer off-site catering, but have prepared appetizers and cold plates for guests to pick up.
- Private Party Facilities: With an intimate dining room that can accommodate up to 55 people and a dining bar, as well as an open air patio, we welcome private parties looking for a relaxing location to host their events.
- Private Party Contact: Erica Goldberg Cummings 8886081360
- Special Events: Throughout the year we offer special Holiday Menus (Easter, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve) as well has special dinners like our semi-annual Beer Dinners.
A word from Academy Ocean Grille
Located right off Route 28 in Orleans, the Grille offers a menu of eclectic global dishes with a touch of Cape Cod. The dining room offers a casual elegance; Junior's Bar is perfect for a light bite or a cocktail before dinner. Additional seating is available seasonally on the breezy patio. Eclectic definitely describes the menu where Salmon Gravlax with Potato Pancakes, Raspberry & Brie Springrolls and Pork Potstickers are among the many appetizers offered. Customer favorites include grilled Monkfish & Lobster Provencal, Veal Saltimbocca and Frutta de Mare. Lazy Sundays are perfect for lingering over Eggs Benedict and Bloody Mary's or sip a mimosa while enjoying our Kahlua Stuffed French Toast. Lunch features an array of sandwiches and salads along with heartier items for diners looking for more of a midday meal. Don't forget the special Tapas and Flatbread Pizza menu available exclusively at Junior's Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Academy Ocean Grille - Best Restaurants in Orleans ›
Academy Ocean Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (14)romantic (11)notable wine list (6)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Love the AOG!!BrianDined on 12/6/2013Always a great meal! One of my favorite spots on the Lower Cape.Special Features:
- Don't let the outside fool youAhabDined on 11/28/2013This place may not look like much from the outside, but it has a great kitchen. We were looking for a place for Thanksgiving and Open Table recommended the Grille, and we're glad they did. Although we did not get there until 45 minutes before the last reservation, the Turkey was very tasty and moist. The real test is the stuffing and their's was very good, and not the Stove Top that many places try to pawn off as the real thing. Portions were large and reasonably priced, particularly for Cape Cod. We are from New Orleans, and we have a small catering company, so we're not quick to hand out kudos, but this place deserves it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch all aroundTAJODined on 11/10/2013We went to Academy Ocean Grill on a Sunday night after a concert and were treated to a top notch set of entrees. I had the swordfish, which was excellent, my wife had broiled cod, which she thought was very good, and the others in our party had veal saltimbocca, which they described as one of the best they ever had. They also have a good selection of wine. The atmosphere is casual but leaning a little upscale (w/o ever being pretentious).Special Features:
- Very good meal along withJimmDined on 11/9/2013Very good meal along with great attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/28/2013The food and service at the Academy Ocean Grill is consistently exceptional. On the most recent visit, I had the swordfish, which was perfectly prepared. Any meal that I have here is always finished off with Sticky Toffiee Pudding. Don't miss this one when you are visiting, or live on, Cape Cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but limited Fall menuReenieDined on 10/26/2013Have been here in summer months when the menu is much more extensive...missed the samosas, the potstickers and the spring rolls which I think we're on the menu then. Also, the number of entrees was limited (late October 2013) as compared to summertime. Veal, filet Mignon and swordfish were all yummy ...delish..... The paint shades are very Zen like so it is a relaxing atmosphere.... Lights could be just a little dimmer. All in all a great restaurant and we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwordfishTAJODined on 10/13/2013Had a long time friend visiting from out-of-state and wanted to take her to a special restaurant. Chose the Academy Ocean Grill after dining there several times. The food has been consistently top notch. Each of us (there were 3) chose the swordfish which was outstanding in terms of taste and texture. The ambiance is a mix of classy and Capey (if there is such a word). Would highly recommend to most.Special Features:
- Above averageEatoutalotDined on 9/26/2013A really good restaurant, not superb but you can tell there is some experience in the kitchen. Service was casual yet thorough. I will return as from the conversations I heard from nearby tables this restaurant is consistent.Special Features:
- This is a good go to placeGMD47VIPDined on 9/24/2013This is a good go to place that my wife and I have been to quite a few times. The food is good but nothing that stands out. Service is always friendly if sometimes a little slow. Can go from crowded at times to almost no one there at others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fall DinnersouthportfoodieDined on 9/14/2013We spent the weekend in Orleans, and Academy Ocean Grille was our choice for Saturday's dinner. It had been years since I was last there, but it was as charming as I remembered. The food was excellent. We had the homemade crab rangoon appetizer, which was sweet and crispy, with an excellent dipping sauce. For our entree, we shared the pork tenderloin with sweet potato puree and grilled broccolini. The meal was perfect for early fall. Our only disapointment was that the restaurant did not split the tenderloin in the kitchen. Although they gave us two plates with the accompanying vegetables, all the pork was served on one plate.Special Features:
- Not a fancy place, but theoperabuffDined on 9/6/2013Not a fancy place, but the meals are always first rate in a charming atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative food well cookedMike46Dined on 9/4/2013Innovative food well cooked NAND presented. Table service pleasant and efficient. Dining room is very pleasant but not atmospheric. Only minor negative was the man on front desk who was devoid of personality or charm !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good Cape ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2013Academy was again very good with good food and service. Nut encrusted Halibut was fresh and tasty, Although restaurant biusy wait staff was attentive and very professional. Try it!Special Features:
- Nice dinner spot in a beachy townSarahBostonDined on 8/23/2013This is a nice restaurant where the clientele and staff where shirts, shoes, and pants (instead of shorts, t-shirts and flip flops). The food is upscale, nice portions, with plenty of high end restaurant style food at moderate prices. When on the Cape, I'm often frustrated by the restaurants that serve more fried than food. This place is a much need option among the unhealthy, low quality beach eateries in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We come here every summerbbgalVIPDined on 8/23/2013We come here every summer for the wonderful Sole Francaise and interesting appetizers. The food is consistently good and the service is efficient. My biggest complaint about the restaurant is the plastic table coverings. It gives the restaurant a tacky atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful first timeSteveDined on 8/21/2013We had a wonderful first time visit. Food was wonderful and our server was terrific. Would definitely recommend for anyone visiting the Orleans area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good--Bland atmosphereNEfoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2013Food was good as was our server BUT there is nothing else special about this restaurant. "Greeting" host was not friendly, an older gentleman, who seemed to irritated that we were there. Ambiance in general was very bland. Not worth going back to as there are plenty of other very good restaurants in this area!
- Decent mealCKProvidenceDined on 8/16/2013Went with kids (8,8 & 5) for dinner. Calamari appetizer to share was small (seemed like the amount usually left over on a calamari platter when everyone is done eating) and blah. House salad just some lettuce and a sprinkle of feta; boring/uninspired. Waited a long time for the food to come out. Our fish (cod/sole dishes) was good but we were starving by then. I wouldn't expect a culinary experience and you won't be disappointed. Good place to go with kids when you aren't feeling like eating fried clams or cooking.Special Features:
- Very okayBeachloverDined on 8/15/2013The menu had delicious updated items to choose from. However, when our meals came, l thought they looked like something one would get in a hospital or nursing home cafeteria. I know this sounds silly, but this was honestly the thought that came to mind. The calamari and sweet potato mashed were good. The seared tuna, was ok, there were 4 thick slices of seared tuna, looked unappetizing, tasted okay. My husband and I ordered fish entrees, horseradish crusted cod and monkfish, each came with asparagus and sweet mashed potatoes. The mashed was good. My son had steak tips which came with mashed potatoes and corn. The steak tips required too much chewing. The servers were pleasant and attentive, tables full and good atmosphere.Special Features:
- We will returnSunDanceDined on 8/10/2013Outstanding host, wait staff and cuisine. Very friendly and accommodating. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last time I was here the foodGMD47VIPDined on 8/10/2013Last time I was here the food was only adequate. This time both my wife and I enjoyed the veal saltimboca that was perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halibut and lobster couscous: yum!BrewsterjoannDined on 8/8/2013Also very good iare their veal and primavera with sea scallopsSpecial Features:
- orleans dinnercristinaDined on 8/7/2013There are a number of orleans restaurants that cost the same or more but their food Just isn't half as good. Lovely seafood and more and fine service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal spot before a showjshoopVIPDined on 8/6/2013The restaurant is right down the street from the playhouse. Indoor and outdoor dining options. Wonderful food and service. A quiet spot where you can enjoy a relaxing dinner before a show. Try the sea bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious mealartemisiaDined on 8/3/2013The Academy Ocean Grille is a lovely little gem in Orleans - the food is great, the decor is inviting, and the staff is very friendly. Our meals were well prepared and presented. We ordered a special for the night - striped bass provencal - which was excellent: perfectly seasoned, a generous portion of fish that was fresh, perfectly cooked, and moist. Absolutely delicious. Friends ordered a dish on the printed menu - sole francaise - and clearly loved their dishes as well. The room tends to be loud when they have a full house. Only complaint is that after noting a food allergy, the wrong meal was delivered to the person with the allergy. Otherwise, a wonderful meal and we will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eaten here a number of timesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2013Eaten here a number of times and never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Outstanding food with betterCrusader21Dined on 7/29/2013Outstanding food with better than average service. Will definitely return and will order the Veal Saltobianca (sp)....mouthwatering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizing and accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/28/2013We went with a small child for his mother's birthday, having cancelled at another restaurant that said, "We don't have high chairs." This accommodating place had one all set up for us, at a round table away from other diners. The menu had some great appetizers to share, and the service was superb, even when the inevitable spill needed attention. Lots of interesting specials. Unpretentious but excellent!Special Features:
- We were in the Brewster areaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2013We were in the Brewster area for a conference and wanted to take a colleague out to a nice dinner on a Saturday night. I found this restaurant on Open Table and as I needed a place that accepted reservations, I took a chance. We had an excellent meal with an excellent waitress. Needless to say we were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At the Academy GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2013The food at this restaurant was excellent. The watermelon soup was light with just the right texture and hint of cilantro. The clam chowder was also very good- just thick enough and filled with clams. The fish entres were perfectly prepared with unusual sides (mashed sweet potatoes, beets and potatoes) which complemented the fish beautifully. The salmon was particularly good.Special Features:
- We made reservations ahead,SusanDined on 7/26/2013We made reservations ahead, so they would know our 9 yer old vegetarian grand daughter would be coming. She enjoyed the pasta with butter and grated cheese. We enjoyed another wonderful meal.Special Features:
- FavoriteBrieDined on 7/25/2013Academy Ocean Grille continues to be my favorite restaurant on Cape Cod.Special Features:
- Quiet escape during summer vacationOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/24/2013I dined here with my husband in July while we were on the cape for vacation. We were traveling with 5 kids and grandparents. We left the children with grandparents and had a lovely, quiet dinner at Academy Ocean Grille. This was our first visit and I will look forward to going back. They have a diverse cocktail menu and wine list had some great offerings. The food is inventive and creative, I had francese/parmesan crusted halibut with a light lemon sauce served over couscous and my husband had swordfish which looked great. I would recommend the sticky toffee pudding for dessert it was served with a homemade butterscotch sauce which was absouletly delicous.Special Features:
- Academy, really?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2013They definitely still need to learn and I could have given them a few pointers... Food was OK, nothing more... Clam showder and seefood casserole had no taste. Service was cold.
- Good food, passable serviceNatphoruDined on 7/22/2013Our group of 6 was greeted by the host, who was visibly and audibly upset that we had unfortunately dropped from our original reservation of 8. This is perhaps understandable, but he made it seem like they could no longer accommodate us and we expected to leave at this point. We were shown to our table after a moment, and lucky for us we dropped to 6 as the tiny table we were seated at struggled to seat the 6 of us. Our waitress came by promptly and was audibly upset when, despite not even being fully seated yet and despite having provided only one wine menu, we didn't have our drink order ready to go. Despite the service, though, the food was very good. We had almost every appetizer and every entree with no disappointment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyablelocalgalDined on 7/20/2013My husband and I ate at Academy Ocean Grille on July 20, 2013. None of us had been there before but we had tickets for a theater performance just down the street, so we thought we'd try it. In making the reservation, we requested a quiet spot since the husbands are both a little hard of hearing. The restaurant staff took note and gave us a little corner table which was perfect. The food and the service were very good and just what we expected after reading a number of reviews for the restaurant. When in the area again, we won't hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We returned to the AcademyluvstxVIPDined on 7/19/2013We returned to the Academy Ocean Grill with friends on a hot Friday night and it did not disappoint. It's a great spot for very good food (both the cod and the special halibut were excellent) in a pretty quiet dining room. Our waitress was very attentive and had a good sense of humor. Love that they take reservations which is unusual on the cape in the summertime.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesJoanDined on 7/14/2013Am never disappointed with the food. Especially enjoy the Academy for lunch and Sun. brunch as it offers more substantial mid-day selections. Prices are reasonable and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No knowledge of our reservation.BobSeaDined on 7/11/2013We reserved thru Open Table, but when we arrived, the restaurant had no record of our reservation. I showed the confirmation e-mail (Thank You Open Table) to the hostess & we were promptly seated. All 4 in our party enjoyed our meals. Service was not rushed. Enjoyable evening; will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseKate1VIPDined on 7/9/2013We found this restaurant by looking on Open Table for restaurants in the Brewster area where we were staying. We wanted a restaurant that took reservations. Academy Ocean Grille doesn't look like much from the outside but the interior is very pleasant. There were five of us for dinner. Service was friendly and very good. We all enjoyed our meals very much and will definitely return next year when we are on the Cape.