1330 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cityzenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2027876006x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Ziebold
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Enjoy our 6-course tasting menu at $120 per person (also available with a vegetarian option at $110 per person). We also offer a semi-private room that can accommodate up to twenty two guests.
A word from CityZen
Eric Ziebold was voted in Food & Wine magazine as one of ‘America’s Best New Chef’s’ and the restaurant one of the ‘Hottest Restaurants in the World’. On arrival, relax in the restaurant’s lounge and choose from a signature martini or champagne cocktail. The restaurant’s 20-foot high ceiling offers you a better view of the activity in the open kitchen, while the style and décor still provide an intimate setting. Eric’s menu changes monthly depending on the availability of the freshest ingredients. He and his team create multi-course tasting menus while our expert Sommelier advises on wine selections from the award winning wine list.Continued
Located at the sophisticated Mandarin Oriental, CityZen creates the ideal atmosphere to celebrate, congratulate or just indulge in the fine culinary journey.
Located at the sophisticated Mandarin Oriental, CityZen creates the ideal atmosphere to celebrate, congratulate or just indulge in the fine culinary journey.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
CityZen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
CityZen reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)fit for foodies (68)romantic (53)notable wine list (40)hot spot (8)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Exceeded every expectationOutstandingDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our six course tasting menu (actually ten courses with cheese and three bonus courses) with pairings (his with vintage, mine with regular). The food was spectacular and the wine/beverages were well paired. The service was an absolute highlight. The meal was paced spectacularly and we felt special without it being obnoxious or obvious. I would recommend to anyone except the truely budget restricted. We thought it was worth every penny. The Lamb Carbonara is the best dish both of us has ever eaten and the rhubarb sorbet was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionLindaVIPDined on 6/13/2014We went to celebrate a birthday. They did a nice job of recognizing the event. We enjoyed the evening and would recommend it if you have something to celebrate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014We were celebrating a special occassion and the staff went out of their way to make it fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must not be missed.ChefBDined on 6/7/2014CityZen is one of those restaurants that takes food to the next level. Nirvana. As a chef i am very particular and critical of restaurants at this price point and rarely write reviews. CityZen is the exception. If you can afford it go, the experience and food are worth every dollar ($$$$). Staff is wonderful, they accommodate all food requests, and our four course menu turned into 7 with all the little treats from the chef. From olive oil custard, lobster, cod, quail, and bread pudding, to the final treat of mini rose macaron and blueberry truffle, no bite disappointed. A gem not to be missed, all that glitters is GOLD at CityZen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete disappointment!Furloughed1VIPDined on 6/4/2014With much anticipation, my wife and I dined at City Zen for our 5th anniversary. It was a complete letdown. We had reservations for 5.30pm and the door was locked at 5.30pm. When we got in, no one was at the host/hostess stand, and a fellow diner showed us his menus. Our server was at best, fairly unengaged with us as diners. The food was mediocre. If you want a spectacular dining experience, plan ahead and go to the Inn at Little Washington.
- Loved itWilliamDined on 5/28/2014My wife and I have been here twice and loved it. Both of us are simple eaters....ie we want chicken and burgers. But, the food here is anything but that and still delicious. I give it 4 stars and not 5 due to the sides of the actual dinner being....really bad. Everything else was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodnerdrageDined on 5/28/2014Aside from the food being some of the best we have had, my wife and I went here to celebrate our anniversary and I have never had such amazing special occasion treatment. They really went above and beyond to make sure that our anniversary was special and memorable. I won't ruin the surprise for others. We both absolutely loved the food. Most of the items had a unique twist and tasted unlike anything we have had before. Not a single one of the dishes was bland or anything but delicious. The dessert was particularly good. I definitely recommend CityZen to anyone looking for top quality food, unique flavors, and/or a romantic special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Too much of a hotel feel.... Freezing air flowing from the A/C ruined the enjoyment. Food is good but somewhat complicated. Service is excellent.
- CityZen: superbmikeVIPDined on 5/23/2014This restaurant has been on my "must go" list forever, but this was my first visit, for a special occasion. It was exceptional across the board- the food was memorable, the wines thoughtfully paired, the service outstanding, and the environment was perfect- not crowded, not noisy. Worth every cent!Special Features:
- The following 1407 reviews are from the CityZen reviews archive.
- anniversary dinnerpoohVIPDined on 5/22/2014fine choice! i selected the 6-course w/wine pairing and my husband ordered a la cart. this allowed us to both eat what we wanted. we commented to ourselves, that it has been a long time since we have eaten food this delicious!Special Features:
- top servicefoodikatVIPDined on 5/22/2014we could not ask for a better meal. the service was as good as food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Talent chefBacciVIPDined on 5/21/2014Food fantastic. Portion size was perfect and wine list was exceptional. Service was spotty and although great cuisine I was put off by the lack of attention for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerkirbyandlolaVIPDined on 5/15/2014Everything was perfect. Creative cuisine with fabulous presentations. Perfect service. Wonderful atmosphere. Could not have had it better!Special Features:
- top notchpauloVIPDined on 5/13/2014Great food and service. Very pricey, but worth it. Best oyster dish I've even had and the others were excellent. Great wine list and wines by the lass (expensive, but generous pours). One quibble: there is no a la carte option, so you have to get a prix fixe of at least 4 courses. Although they are not big, it is not a place if you just want a small dinner or don't have a robust budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dishes, unpretentious serviceWMColmes14VIPDined on 5/10/2014Didn't really have the Asian flare I thought, being in the Mandarin, but very very good. You can only do the 6 course veggie or meat tasting menu (2 wine pairing options each!) or the 4 course (app/fish/meat/sweet). The only lower cost option is 3 courses at the bar for $50 (app/main/sweet), but there are no tables there. We had some nice choices: Carrot/Ginger/Duck Ragout soup, Pan Roasted aged Ribeye, Seared Bronzino/Rosemary Roasted Olives/Cityzen Chorizo/Arugula Duxelles, and the Veal Sweetbreads/Braised Napa Cabbage/Preserved Kumquats/Shaved Perigord Truffles/Fava beans. Tried much of the 6 course meat tasting menu & glad I didn't go with it. Nothing was bad but some items (big eye tuna & lamb carbonara) were in comparison forgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best food in DCnicknameVIPDined on 5/9/2014City Zen is wonderful. Great local foods that are made into fantastic dishes, all very unique. oysters, cod, pork, sweetbreads, and desserts were all fantastic. Located in the Mandarin Oriental, a beautiful hotel. We eat often in New Orleans and City Zen exceeds August in our opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BirthdaypatpDined on 5/7/2014We went to City Zen to celebrate my 72nd birthday and it was a great choice. I am choosy abut tables and sent a note to the restaurant and received a call from the Manager to make sure that we had an acceptable table. The call was a very nice gesture! I thought that the food was innovative and the presentation was lovely. The portion size was perfect for a 4 course menu. While expensive, it is very good value for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pretentious for its own goodDiningwithangieDined on 5/3/2014Food is awesome but sommelier is pretentious and overall atmosphere is stuffy and unfriendly. With a different sommelier might try it again.Special Features:
- Thank You CityzenRyan3838Dined on 5/3/2014My wife and I have eaten at some of the best restaurants in NYC, DC, LA, and other cities. We were celebrating a special occasion and thought to give Cityzen a try. Wow! We had an incredible expirience. The service was superior. Attentive to our every need. We ordered the six course tasting with wine. They do bring the food and wine fast to the table. Maybe too fast because I was pretty buzzed but thats my only complaint and normally fast is not negative. The food was incredible. Every course was a nice portion that had my wife and I excited next one. The dinner rolls with the steak course were like sticks of butter. Probably one of the best dinning experiences of our life. Thank you Cityzen. Well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly great!KevinMDined on 4/19/2014Chose CityZen to celebrate my birthday on a weekend trip to DC based on comments from other diners. I don't want to spoil your experience by telling you all of the exquisite surprises that await and just want to add my endorsement that it is a meal you will remember. From the first hello, and throughout, every need was anticipated thanks to the extremely professional. efficient and warm team. We were impressed and so glad we went. Take any reservation you can get: it is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceTasteseekerVIPDined on 4/18/2014I had been wanting to go to CityZen for a long time but never gave enough leeway for the reservation and it was always booked. I finally got it organized for our anniversary and it was worth the wait. The food was superb, a dining experience with wonderful flavors and unique foods. The wait staff were great, friendly and efficient. And because it was our anniversary , they gave us all sorts of little extras. Very lovely. I would recommend for any occasion because it is pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private & elegantEmoglezDined on 4/12/2014Hidden inside the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, CitiZen delivers a private space with an intimate feel and contemporary taste. Excellent service, great wine list and the vegetarian menu fix was an amazing varied selection of dishes. Romantic and sexy ambience.Special Features:
- A friend and I, 2 young femalesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014A friend and I, 2 young females from Canada, decided on Cityzen as our one luxury and it was an excellent choice. We had the prix fixe, everything was delicious, and the sommelier was outstanding. The little amuse bouche was a delight of tuna tartare, with a wonderful ginger palate cleanser. It didn't hurt that we were recommended their least expensive bottle of white so that we could stay a bit closer to budget; it was delicious. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!Mister1OctoberDined on 4/11/2014Everything was awesome. I requested and received a table in the wine room--later found out that it was 'the' prime table. We were able to look directly into the kitchen. Our server, Ellie, was beyond awesome. I had the sweet breads with shaved black truffles. My two table mates had the surf and turf. A glorious 2 1/2 hour dining experience.Special Features:
- Best birthday everHappybirthdayDined on 4/10/2014I took my girlfriend here to celebrate her birthday and the waitstaff & chef made this event most memorable. Their attention to detail and service were by far the best I've ever seen. The little box of freshly baked bread was the best I've ever eaten. The food was so good & filling that we didn't even eat the next day. We will visit again very soon!Special Features:
- Still the BestomnivoreDined on 4/9/2014Continues to be the best restaurant in DC. Creativity without smacking you in the face with it; balanced and interesting combinations of flavors. Service: they have mastered the European skill of being there when you need them and otherwise unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!RobinDined on 4/5/2014I can't wait to go back for more garlic profiteroles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why did it take me 12 years to findDanTheDinerDined on 4/4/2014Cityzen was amazing - simply amazing. Can't really find anything to fault the restaurant, the staff or the Chef on. My wife and I had a great evening celebrating her birthday (which the staff remembered on multiple occasions). The wine was fantastic (the wine list is phenomenal), and the food was out of this world. All round five stars and we'll definitely be back again. PS - to the couple beside us, I hope she said "yes"!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsMollyVIPDined on 4/4/2014We were looking forward to having our first dinner at Cityzen. There were six courses for $120, with an additional $85.00 for the wine pairing. The service was what you would expect—informative and attentive. However, I wish we had more time between courses. The wait staff brought everything a little too quickly and poured the next tasting menu wine pairing before we finished the previous one. Let us finish! The lobster in the second course salad was overcooked and tough. Cityzen did not live up to our expectations and we won't rush back.Special Features:
- DisappointmentGabiDined on 4/4/2014This was a fourth visit over 8 years, to celebrate first grandchild. It has been five years since we last visited and clearly our previous visits had inspired a return. First, the level of light in the room was drearily low. We had also forgotten how much it resembles a train station. We ordered the four course meal, had difficulty choosing something to appeal from each category. Grapefruit was featured in one of four fish dishes as well as one in four/five dessert dishes. It killed otherwise delicious scallops and was weird in the not successful dessert. The lamb was delicious. The waiter was officious. We regretted going and will not return, and realized that once we saw the dim lighting and cavernous room that we should have left.
- In a word--AWESOME!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2014I cannot praise this place enough. Everything was flawless. I was concerned that the 6-course tasting menu would be too much food, but it was not. Rather, the portions were just right. I especially appreciated the fact that we each had the option of ordering the 4-course or the 6-course menu. I've been to other "tasting menu" restaurants and everyone was required to order the same number of courses. The menu is always changing, so I can't steer you toward a particular course. The only constant (and it's a great one) is the mini-parker house rolls, served warm and in their own wooden box--absolute heaven! I gave serious thought to substituting one of my courses for more rolls. Yes, they're that good! I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Fine Dining IndeedTravelJunkieVIPDined on 4/3/2014CityZen amply met our high expectations serving up skilfully prepared, delicious haute cuisine, one of the best dining experiences we enjoyed during our recent visit to Washington DC. We ordered the tasting menu with wine pairing to try a variety of the chef's specialties and each course was scrumptious. The setting is elegant if a bit cool, but the warmth of the serving team more than made up for it. the cost is not out of line with what you would pay for a meal of this quality in any major city and well worth a splurge. Very highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 Michelin Star QualityMAGICKDined on 3/29/2014This was the best meal we have had in DC in years. The chef and his team provided excellent food and the service was also spot on. Compared to dining at 3 Michelin Star Restaurants in London and Paris this is right on par with the best. Bravo Chef!Special Features:
- That Special OccasionWestenderVIPDined on 3/28/2014My wife and I dine at CityZen for special occasions. The food never fails to amaze and the service is always first class. There's no restaurant better in DC and probably New York, although the New York critics would never admit it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining perfectionDCDinerVIPDined on 3/28/2014What a great meal! Eric Ziebold is a brilliant chef, using high quality raw ingredients and combining different flavors than you would expect to cohesive and very tasty complete dish each time. Every dish was a hit, no misses, with a few WOW moments. Excellent service across the board, with a helpful and funny sommelier - what more could you want. Pricey but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!ShellyDined on 3/22/2014Cityzen never fails to provide a memorable dining experience! The staff is so friendly, unlike some upscale restaurants! And the food is prepared and served with such amazing precision. The ingredients tend to be unique, and the combination of flavors result in perfectly balanced dishes! It's our favorite dining experience anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ServicedontGetOutEnoughDined on 3/22/2014If you want to have truly great service and to get out of your comfort zone, CityZen is a great choice. The pre fix menus and multi-course focus of their menu works great with wine pairings and the staff does a wonderful job of explaining each pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My birthday dinner!newfoodieDined on 3/14/2014My husband and I had dinner at Cityzen last Friday to celebrate my birthday. This is an expensive restaurant so we only come on special occasions. I ordered the chefs tasting menu and everything was delicious. The bread service and cocktails were really good as well. I love this restaurant and I plan to return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best food everRicardoDined on 3/13/2014The food, the wines, the service and the ambience are outstanding.Special Features:
- Steve & Diane's Date NightBrite4u2cDined on 3/7/2014Upon Diane & Myselfs arrival (albeit alittle late) we were greeted kindly by hotel concierge and escorted to the restaurants entrance. Once inside CityZen we were whisked away to our table right up front, no doubt due to the vison of beauty that accompanied me. Our waitstaff was quick to welcome us and very courtious, we both opted for the dinner tasting menu and I accompanied mine with the sommeliers tasting of wines. Each dinner course was very well executed and quite visually appealing. I would recommend this to anyone wanting a stellar experience in a sleek modern environment. No misses were found through our entire meal and dining experience. Thanx Again, Steven Magnus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.