Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
150 Congress Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jumpinjays.com/
- Phone: 6037663474x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Marty Rumley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Functions available Sunday through Thursday and can accommodate up to 60 people. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Katharine McGrath 6037663474x
- Cross Street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe FREE PARKING on the corner of MIDDLE ST & MILLER AVE...less than three blocks away...a short 4 min & 39 second walk...enjoy the scenery and historic homes of Portsmouth!
Metered Parking is available across the street from Jumpin' Jay's.
Parking Garage is available on the corner of High & Hanover Street.
A word from Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
Located in historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe is known to the locals as a fun & lively restaurant with friendly and knowledgeable service. Going on 14 years, we continue to pride ourselves with innovative seafood dishes and the freshest fish menu in Portsmouth. You can also enjoy fabulous wines from around the world, one of our famous martinis, or a locally brewed beer. Our Raw Bar offers a variety of the freshest oysters and clams found anywhere. Whether you prefer a cozy table or our full service, non-smoking bar, we guarantee a memorable experience!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (156)neighborhood gem (112)special occasion (81)hot spot (71)good for groups (60)vibrant bar scene (44)romantic (25)notable wine list (22)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- fantastic fish!DarkpickDined on 7/10/2014Delicious and very fresh fish, a must for any seafood lover!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portsmouth At its Best123delishVIPDined on 7/9/2014Jay's Fish Cafe was one of our best meals on our 8 day vacation through New England First of all the service was exceptional . Wine list was very nice with a wide range of selections, by the glass as well. The mixed green salad was large and had such an assortment of fresh vegetables. Several salads to choose from. At least 7 different fresh fish were available to include: Opa, swordfish, salmon, flounder, and many more. The opa had an avocado purée as the sauce. Exceptional. Love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flyin' fish!fishmongerDined on 7/8/2014If you are a seafood lover and you have not been to Jumpin' Jays yet. Drop everything you are doing and go there now! I've been frequenting this restaurant for years now and I have yet to have a dinner there I didn't like. From the moment you are greeted as you walk through the front door to the point when you are walking out contemplating your return, the service is top notch. Once you sit down, order an amazing drink to get your night started right as well as some amazingly fresh oysters or the mussels (which can easily be an entree. Be wild with your fish/sauce choices or ask your server to suggest one. After dinner indulge in a yummy dessert. This restaurant just continues to fire on all cylinders. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner, July 2014diemakerDined on 7/7/2014We are accustomed to everything at Jumpin Jay's being perfect, but they fell a little short this time. The chicken on the Provencal Special was dry, although they replaced it with better. Caesar Salad was extraordinary as usual as well as the un-equaled ice tea. We'll be back although I will probably get the shrimp on the Provencal Special next time, just to be safe. My wife's haddock was superb.Special Features:
- Awesome !!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014My husband and I had a great evening at Jumpin Jay's. We had the Yellow Fin Tuna and the Haddock both were amazing :) !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG!zumbalover51Dined on 7/6/2014We found Jumpin Jay's a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. Great food and service. The pear and raddicho salad is the best! My husband and I ordered a few appetizers and split the filet mignon..Amazing..thanks Jumpin Jay's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat with the localsannejDined on 7/5/2014Not touristy even though it's located in a touristy area. Very sophisticated menu, yet simple choices available. The lobster velouté was to die for. The key lime pie was disappointing... too sweet, not tart enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VintagembDined on 7/5/2014Jays is always a winner! They do it right! Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty but bring a sweaterlucyDined on 7/5/2014This place knows how to cook fish and they were very accommodating to our requests. I had the scallops with sauce on the side and they arrived well done to perfection. The staff allowed me to accompany my scallops with a double order of vegetables and forgo the potato. The vegetables were very well prepared and were not your everyday kind of vegetables either (golden beets and asparagus) and were delicious. Our iced tea was freshly brewed and arrived in large individual serving bottles with enough iced tea for a refill or two. Home baked bread with whole roasted garlic on the side to spread was also a nice touch. The only down side to this place is that there are six tables of two in direct line of a very cold air conditioner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful seafoodanonymouseDined on 7/4/2014We enjoyed two excellent seafood dinner here during a visit to Portsmouth. The restaurant is justifiably busy. The staff was friendly and efficient. Everything we ate was great--calamari, clams, lobster, linguini, haddock. We wish this restaurant was close to home because we would be there often!Special Features:
- EvabertaDined on 7/2/2014We were a party of four and we all enjoyed our meals...we all had appetizers, clam chowder, beet salad and fried calamari and they were all excellent...main course, 2 of us had the halibut, one of us had the swordfish and the other had haddock...delicious and no room for dessert.. Overall, it was a great night but must admit that it is a noisy restaurant...at times, it was hard to hear what the person across from you was saying...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GMGPGMGPDined on 7/2/2014We tried out Jumpin Jays because we had heard good things about it. Overall, it was good, but nothing special. Seafood places like this are very common on the ME/NH coast. This one doesn't stand out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/1/2014Our first time and we were impressed, great sea food and and very good service. We'll be back whenever we are in Portsmouth, which is a couple of time a year.Special Features:
- ElizabethDined on 6/28/2014Food was good but I've been there when it was better. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Amazing overall, no complaints.tandv0106Dined on 6/28/2014This was the best seafood my woman and I have ever had. We both tried be fish and were amazed at how good it was. Both dishes were recommended by the waitress who went based on our interest. Great staff and great food A+ all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the freshest fish anywhereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2014Never disappoints. Haddock Piccata to die for. Portions a little smaller than usual but delicious. The mussels are the best I have ever had...spicy but awesomeSpecial Features:
- Yum!NtjapnzDined on 6/27/2014We were greeted and seated quickly. Service was really good, friendly and quick. Food was yummy! Decor is cute and diner like. Had expected more rustic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Jumping FishGr8foodtimesDined on 6/27/2014Second time enroute to mid-coast Maine. Beyond perfection is the food. Service is remarkable with every person from the front desk to the bartenders,to the water and bread servers and wait staff are friendly, informative, unobtrusive and efficient... Reservations taken seriously- we were attended to instantly on a very busy Friday night at 7:00pm. Thank you Open Table. Don't miss the bathroom decor. Just divine.Special Features:
- Always exceeds expectationsLeeYDined on 6/27/2014First class dining in a casual atmosphere! Food is excellent, the service is quick, and the atmosphere is great for couples or groups.Special Features:
- Jumpin Jays JumpsTRex86Dined on 6/27/2014This seafood house in Portsmouth knows what it is and who it serves. The bar scene is lively. The food is excellent, with lots of fresh catch seafood (choice of accompanying sauce). They have their house specialties, but the best is the fresh catch, prepared as you want it. I did the flounder, which was excellent. Service is attentive. The location is accessible--and they have parking a few blocks away. Make reservations and have a good time.Special Features:
- FantasticDNelsDined on 6/24/2014Best food in Portsmouth. Never disappoints. Great service. Great oysters.
- Great DinnerncjewelerDined on 6/23/2014We started with the mussels, which were unbelievably good in a saffron cream broth with jalepenos, ginger,lemongrass. To top it off, two in our party are gluten free and they have gluten free rolls available to sop up the broth. The halibut was cooked perfectly, calamari excellent and the red curry seafood was the number one choice. Wish we lived in NH, as this would be our new go to restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceDuckiekDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I went for an anniversary dinner. The food was great, the fish tasted very fresh. We both loved the mussels appetizer and our entrees (linguini with clams and coconut curry seafood mixture). My only suggestion would be to offer rice with the coconut curry dish. It was definitely missing a carb to soak up that wonderful sauce. Also, the brownie sundae dessert was just meh, but we told the waitress and she took it off the bill so we can't complain. Overall, a great experience and definitely a place I'd recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go againFungetbusyDined on 6/21/2014Went with waitress recommend, great choice. Fresh seafood and friendly staff. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect experienceeatingoutDined on 6/19/2014Delicious fresh fish served beautifully , with efficiency and kindnessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BubbleBubblePastaPotDined on 6/17/2014I've lived in Portsmouth for over twenty years, and have had Jumpin Jay's on my bucket list for quite some time, so it was pretty discouraging leaving with less than a great experience. My party waited for more than ten minutes past our reservation time and with getting there early put that put us sitting there for at least twenty minutes. Which is exasperating when the hostess was quoting walk-ins at a fifteen minute wait. The oysters were awesome, but the worst part of the night was the order in which we got our food. While our waiter was super friendly and nice, our food was brought out in the complete opposite order that is require for dinning. We got our food, then our bread, and lastly our drinks.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service !OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/17/2014It was one of the last 'shuck a buck' so the oysters were flying ! Fresh and delicious. The haddock piccata was great. Our server, Nora, was attentive, prompt, and personable. The hostess is most welcoming and keeps the flow going.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all around dining experienceWoodyDined on 6/15/2014Father's Day dinner and the guest of honor said it was the best haddock he's ever had. Prices are in line with comparable options. Food, cocktails & deserts all were excellent. Service very good. Would definitely return & recommend.Special Features:
- Local gemJanEdDDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I travel to Portsmouth 2-3 times a year and always stop in for dinner. We have never been disappointed. Love the food, service is always great. Can't wait to come back. Thank again for a great evening!Special Features:
- GinaDined on 6/14/2014Great fish selection, fresh and flavorful. Cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to go on my 50th birthdaydonnotDined on 6/12/2014This was my 2nd time at Jumpin' Jay's. Both times with a group; both times the food was excellent, the service was very good and friendly and the place was lively! I had the scallops which were seared just the way I like them and the lobster sauce was very tasty. The key lime tart for dessert was delicious too! I also like the portion size at Jumpin' Jay's - not too big, not too small. Just right. The only semi-complaint I heard from my family this time around was my daughter said the clam chowder was too bacon-y (but she still liked it and ate it all). Make sure you get reservations in the summer. The place is always packed and you can get shut out!Special Features:
- WOnderful!PattiDined on 6/10/2014Jumpin' Jays was an absolutely wonderful experience from the moment we walked in the door to the moment we left. I requested a nice table at the time of my reservation as it was a friends 60th birthday, and the Hostess delivered! The staff were all very friendly and totally professional. The food was amazing and included Gluten free options! I highly recommend Jumpin' Jays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbienceDianneVIPDined on 6/9/2014Although ambience is only adequate the food, service well make up for it and make it possible to have a romantic evening.Special Features:
- Great food but lame interiorsvelteDined on 6/7/2014I love the cooking at Jumpin Jays. I think its some of the best fish you can get. The interior seems outdated. The color scheme of rust and white doesnt look good. You sit at plastic tables and the chairs look like they should be returned to the hospital cafeteria. So excuse the interior and have some nice fish.Special Features:
- Good seafoodJennyf730Dined on 6/7/2014Went for our anniversary. Food was pretty good. I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!CooperHDined on 6/7/2014Excellent meal, great service! Our second time there was just as great as our first! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Things were Jumpin'TheycallmeporkyDined on 6/7/2014My girlfriend and I were excited about trying this place again. Everything was great from the reception to the final bite. Cocktails were generous and the fish was out of this world. Linda had blackened flounder and I had blackened halibut. Both were excellent. Oh..we each had a salad before the meal. Both were excellent. A great quality place if you like seafood. Also, while we were interested, the bar scene looked vibrant.Special Features:
- We loved this place!DahliaDooDined on 6/7/2014OMG. Excellent service and fabulous food. The fish was magnificent! We are hard to impress however this place blew us away. Our server was polite, knowledgeable, accommodating, helpful, non-intrusive. A relaxing dinner of high quality well presented food in a no rush atmosphere.. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Fabulous Fish!FoodieDined on 6/6/2014I've gone to JJ's many times and have had wonderful delicious meals each time. My favorites right now is a plate of raw oysters (plump and ice cold), the raw tuna appetizer (superb) and right now the soft shell crabs ( a little spicy and delicious)! There's enough choice of fresh fish and seafood for anyone and even a veggie dish. Solid, delicious food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedDisapointedDined on 6/6/2014This restaurant was highly recommended by our hotel. Swordfish was spongy and the mahi mahi was fishy. The waitress seemed stumped by our request for steamed vegetables and her demeanor was a bit condescending. We gave her a pass because she was pregnant and maybe she just wasn't on her game. Slow service ×10. I would try another restaurant...there are many to choose from!