741 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seiyasushi.com/
- Phone: 6505088888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Kua Chuang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available. Please call Amanda at 6505088888.
A word from Seiya
Welcome to Seiya! Michelin recommended restaurant 2013 and 2014!!! We consider ourselves to be a Japanese Contemporary restaurant. We have a full sushi bar filled with many daily special fish. In addition to our sushi bar, we proudly serve rolls and robata grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Seiya - Best Restaurants in San Carlos ›
Seiya reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (15)romantic (13)hot spot (6)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- just love Seiya.saskiaVIPDined on 1/15/2014By far the best sushi: fresh, clean, unique, modern. Love the spicy hulk. You should see the cook using his big knife to make the cucumber wrapping. real crab in the california. Oh and the fish tacos. Like nowhere else.Special Features:
- Nice find in San CarlosRobNDined on 1/11/2014Went to Seiya for dinner on Friday. Very nice meal. Great Japanese menu. Only complaint would be that the wine list was VERY thin. ~ 2 whites, 2 reds. Although - long list of Sake selection (certainly culturaly appropriate). Great choice for a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No bang for your buckSoonLaterDined on 1/7/2014after sharing $50 worth of sushi rolls, i should be full right?Special Features:
- Great Unisusan175Dined on 1/4/2014We tried the tuna poke, the fish tacos, chicken wings, uni, and hamachi jalepeno roll. The first two were presented really nicely and tasted good. I would pass on the chicken wings... they were a tad bland. The uni was awesome... loved it. The Hamachi Jalepeno was a little disappointing because it didn't have that spicy kick. Service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Style and serviceTrufflesDined on 1/4/2014I only wish they would add spicy agadashi and other vegetarian choices to their menu. Loved the stylish atmosphere, water feature, giant door, service was excellent.Special Features:
- Outstanding!SophiaDined on 1/2/2014Seiya is our favorite Sushi Restaurant! And our dinner guest declared that it was now her favorite Sushi spot! Everything is fresh and creative the wait staff is helpful and the ambience is spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seiya is worth checking outAndyVIPDined on 12/18/2013High quality sushi with interesting combinations. The Ocean Trout was really good. Not cheap, but cheap sushi is not necessarily a good thing. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent little gemBusinesslunchesVIPDined on 12/17/2013Excellent high quality sushi with fun & creative other options. Cool vibe...wish it was even bigger with a bar to match! The private room is nice, it seats six comfortably.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiBitManglerVIPDined on 12/10/2013Very high quality sushi and professional service. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Small space but intimate.AmeliaDined on 11/20/2013Small space but intimate. Wait staff a little overzealous, ie. didn't offer coffee/dessert at the end of the evening. Interesting options for a nice twist on Japanese suishi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid restaurant in the Suburbs...jasontheslackerVIPDined on 11/16/2013A good meal is hard to find in the burbs. This place comes through in spades. I can tell the chefs really enjoy their craft and work very hard to perfect it here. Felt like I was in a great SF location. Service was meh as they made mistakes on our orders, but it was not the chefs faults. I will be back...a bunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here - will go backCeshVIPDined on 11/7/2013This is a small place that I never knew was here - easy to miss as it really is small. However, the food was excellent! They had interesting sushi as well as cooked food and everything was fresh and very tasty. Because of the size of the restaurant and the quality of the food I would suggest reservations. Enjoy!Special Features:
- WonderfulMissMireilleDined on 11/6/2013Went here for my sister's birthday and everything was wonderful. The sake, the service and most importantly the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small restaurantLeungVIPDined on 10/12/2013This restaurant is small and unnoticeable from outside. But the raw fish is really fresh. I like the uni and amaebi. There is not much room for each person. If you like to sit close to each other, this is a good choice. But if you want more room and privacy, you may not want to go there, especially if you have many bags of stuffs, very big coats. There is no room to put those stuffs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, well presentedVisitorfrombostonDined on 10/10/2013Very good, well presented sushi and specials with polite attentive service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special TreatShellyDined on 10/10/2013We wound up there kind of unplanned. Very pleasant surprise. Great quality and presentation of the food.Special Features:
- Innovative Japanese dishesprymnumberVIPDined on 9/28/2013My husband and I love this place. The dishes are so innovative! Try everything even if you think you've had it before. They don't do dishes like everyone else; you'll be pleasantly surprised. Seiya is definitely a treat. We'd go more if we won the lottery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as always: best sushisaskiaVIPDined on 9/18/2013As always: the sushi here is great. Super fresh, good combinations of flavors, actual crab in the california... My favorite is spicy hulk: cucumber on the outside and spicy tuna on the inside. Its amazing to see the cook carving the cucumber for this. Second favorite is the geisha: a slice of lime on top. Its the best sushi in the bay area!Special Features:
- Great Food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2013Food was delicious...would have a full five star rating but the salmon sashimi was slightly fishy. EVERYTHING else was top notch!!Special Features:
- Interesting dishes, extremely freshprymnumberVIPDined on 8/31/2013My husband and I can't get enough of Seiya's food. Each item on the menu is an interesting spin on the usual Japanese dishes we find around here. And the freshness of the fish and meat makes this place stand out. Don't forget to try some of their salads. My sashimi salad was a work of art!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushi in bay areasaskiaVIPDined on 8/24/2013There are a lot of sushi places that are "okay", but this one is great. I love the combinations: spicy hulk is spicy tuna wrapped in cucumber (super fresh) and he kobe beef with ginger and asparagus is yummie too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food. In fact IfoodloverVIPDined on 8/22/2013Wonderful food. In fact I am going to return this coming week to the restaurant. The fish tacos are fabulous.Special Features:
- disappointing compared to the pastOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/8/2013I went to Seiya many times for dinner and enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately, lunch was a disappointment: the quality of the Sashimi was not up to Seiya standards, and the service was rushed and uninspiring. I hope the place is not following the pattern of other Bay Area places that shine initially and decline rapidly afterwards.Special Features:
- Worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2013A bit more expensive than your average sushi bar, but worth it. Real crab, not fake, very fresh fish, nicely presented. Corkage was $15 and we didn't see much on their list that we would have ordered any way. As other diners mentioned, the place is small. We made a reservation on Open Table for a late seating as that was the only think available, then called and had it changed to a mre convenient time. I would absolutely eat here again...and I'm pretty picky about my sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freshest sushi in the bayJk2607Dined on 8/4/2013Freshest sushi in the bay area...you get what you lay for here. Try the fish tacos, white salmon and Tasmanian ocean trout. Also amazing are the fireballs and temptation rolls. With excellent Mochi for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!CatyDined on 8/2/2013I made a reservation after reading all the good reviews Seiya has and I can say I will come back again! The food was delicious! Mc'Daddy rolls are a must try if you want to try something really amazing!! It was so good that I orderded two of those :) So far this is the best sushi place I've been to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- babies at the sushi bar.. seriouslytastygirlVIPDined on 7/27/2013We love this place. Its hard to get reservations these days as its so popular. We love sitting at the sushi bar, heck that is what makes it so great. However the other Saturday night, 6:30 reservation .. we were flanked by two strollers and two crying babies!! These parents I thought were disrespectful to the other diners. We paid a sitter to be able to go out and enjoy the evening. The babies kept crying and the parents kept getting up, thankfully. One mother stood rocking the bay while trying to eat. Even if we were in the restaurant area this would have sounded like Dennys. I think the restaurant should at least have a rule that no strollers are at the sushi bar. To pay $150.00 for dinner and listen to that is hard. Food is great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi EverMaui2visitDined on 7/13/2013Really the food here is fantastic. Freshest fish, expertly prepared by skilled sushi chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!MissTannerVIPDined on 7/5/2013I will only eat Sushi here. The food quality here is one of a kind and the service is always amazing. There fish tacos are amazing as well as there Ebi Bacon and Crunchy Spicy Tuna. Its all real, fresh and one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The dishes look beautifulsc001Dined on 6/23/2013The dishes look beautiful but the taste just likes other moderate sushi places (not bad, but you can find other regular sushi places more tasty). The service is so so and not worth for $$$. The restaurant's well decorated. The food comes out one by one which is similar as other high cost sushi places. I recommend this restaurant to group of friends who want to drink and talk and don't care much about the food. If you want to have a good japanese food, there are other places better for the same bucks or cheaper.
- Nice but...512damonVIPDined on 6/14/2013Food was pretty good overall. A few drawbacks are 1) the size of the place, it's very small and narrow and my date and I were seated at a rather small table, 2) it's dark, really dark - they could use some more lighting in the evening for sure, and 3) one of the rolls we ordered never came, despite being there for an hour and being told 3 or 4 times it was almost ready. They apologized, took it off the bill, and gave us free ice cream to compensate, but it still was a missing.
- Creative and Artistic Japanese FoodEarth2brainVIPDined on 6/7/2013Very creative food that is beautifully plated. Yummy Berkshire pork belly entree, you must try. Nice rolls, very fresh ingredients. The bench wood seats are very uncomfortable, we bring our own cushions so we can enjoy our dinner. Service can be spotty and sometimes rude. All in all, a must try place that is a nice addition to San Carlos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food but..babsDined on 5/28/2013Love the food but the atmosphere is a little too cozy for a personal conversation. We usually just eat and go since it isn't the most comfortable place to sit and relax with friends.
- excellent delicious, beautifullyheartyVIPDined on 5/21/2013excellent delicious, beautifully prepared and presented, and pricey.
- Outstanding sushisushiloverDined on 5/17/2013Met a friend for dinner. We both loved the food and the noise level was low enough that we could easily have a conversation. We ordered the Great Balls of Fire based on a Yelp recommendation, and were not disappointed - it was the best sushi I've ever had. The waitress was very helpful with other suggestions. It was pretty pricey, but worth it for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really enjoyed my lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/10/2013I really enjoyed my lunch here. I was pleasantly surprised at the menu and had a hard time deciding what to get. Our table shared the crispy rice, risotta and a sashimi dish and it was all very good. The menu had a lot of things we've all decided we wanted to go back and try!
- Real good sushi. Kobe beefCookieMonsterDined on 4/9/2013Real good sushi. Kobe beef roll exceptional. Not big inside so a reservation worth having.Special Features:
- Terrible service. The foodPenNewbiesDined on 4/5/2013Terrible service. The food was good but not memorable. The table and chairs looked great, but if I had to go back, I'd rather they give me a rock to sit on next time. What I will remember most from my dining experience was the slow and forgetful service and how painful it was to sit in their chair.
- Consistently Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2013I have been going to this place for close to a year now and it's hands down the best and most consistent sushi on the Peninsula I have been able to find. I highly recommend sitting at the sushi bar if you're not in a large group as the chefs are all friendly and fun to watch.Special Features:
- Fish was prepared strangely.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/14/2013Fish was prepared strangely. Tempura oily and had bad aftertaste.