Max Gill and Grill
1052 S. Gaylord St
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Gill and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxgillandgrill.com/
- Phone: 303-722-7456
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm (Brunch); 2pm-4pm (Lunch)
Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm (Brunch); 2pm-4pm (Lunch)
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm (Bar opens @ 3pm for Happy Hour)
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm (3pm for Happy Hour)
Bar Open Nightly Until 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Rafael Najera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Max Gill and Grill
Specializing in the freshest seafood and raw bar along with the finest spit roasted and grilled cuisine, Max Gill and Grill serves really great liquids amid praiseworthy food. In addition to our nightly specials we will also have Soft Shell Crab Specials every friday!!!! Check out our website at www.MaxGillandGrill.com for all updatesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Max Gill and Grill - Best Restaurants in Wash Park ›
Max Gill and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (108)great for outdoor dining (48)fit for foodies (44)vibrant bar scene (44)special occasion (33)good for groups (28)kid-friendly (23)hot spot (21)great for brunch (19)romantic (17)late-night find (13)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Top Seafood EaterygmdenverDined on 3/22/2014Varied menu, delicious food, great presentation and energetic ambiance. Overall, one of the better, reasonably priced seafood spots in Denver. You get to pick the garnish sauce for you fish dish. Very foodie friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great ExperiencePeteVIPDined on 3/21/2014This place is a great neighborhood spot with a bar scene that reminds me of Cheers-everyone knows your name! On a Friday night, we were seated upon arrival. Our waitress was friendly and very personable. Ordered a dozen oysters to start-each was fresh and delicious. Halibut was recommended and it was outstanding. For dessert, had amazing pecan pie. So.. we've had a great time in our visits here and find the food to be as good as our days in San Francisco. A real treat and a good price!Special Features:
- Max Gill & GrillNewingtonVIPDined on 3/16/2014A warm and cozy neighborhood spot with friendly service that radiates good vibes. Margaritas are decent, not great because there is no fresh lime juice in evidence. A starter featuring a trio of dips is very good. The seafood is fresh, side dishes are good but many dishes fall down in the saucing and seasoning department. My scallops entree featured good quality bivalves, broccolini and polenta but had been doused with a puree that tasted like fruity baby food by Gerber. Salads have a similar problem--good quality ingredients but mediocre dressing. Service was attentive, warm and friendly. I would list Max as a neighborhood gem--except for the saucing/seasoning problem.Special Features:
- Great Happy Hour!janeeyre96VIPDined on 3/15/2014We went during happy hour and got some great 99cent oysters! The lobster rolls were awesome too!Special Features:
- ordering problemsjoanDined on 3/12/2014too many order mix-ups. errors were corrected, but it took effort--and a bit of unpleasantness-- to get what we ordered.Special Features:
- Our waitress was especiallyCologrammyDined on 3/11/2014Our waitress was especially good- attentive, friendly, fun and efficient!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good experienceJankossVIPDined on 3/9/2014Food was good as usual. Service was prompt, we will go back again and are looking forward to warm weather so we can sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not our usual experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2014We've eaten at Max Gill & Grill many times and have always had really good service and great food. This time, the service was well below what we were accustomed to. We had a reservation for 7PM and the place was packed. A Groupon expires later this week and that may have explained why it was so busy. Everything took longer than normal, drinks, ordering our dinner, the dinner itself, and even getting the bill took a long time (it had slowed down by this point). The food was great, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food at best, good localOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Our waiter was dry. Our food was ok. Fish tacos were probably the best. Fish and chips were pretty good. Appetizers were not good. Calamari, Brie, unsensational crab dip. Great place for a beer. They need to get much better apps.
- Mostly good; will go backSrLoboVIPDined on 3/6/2014Our first time. Waitress was very helpful & patient. Killer fried oysters & Kona-rubbed tenderloin. The ribs at the next table looked good. Two minuses: the waitress didn't hear the "half" in the "half-dozen" oysters we ordered, and charged us for a dozen, tho we pointed that out; and the special I ordered was disappointing. (Fortunately, I have a generous partner who doesn't eat as much as I do! Did I mention the Kona-rubbed tenderloin?) All in all, very good, and we will definitely be back. The tab wasn't terrible, either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/5/2014The staff/management was wonderful. My mother wasn't satisfied with her dish. From the menu description, it wasn't what she expected, or had at other restaurants with a similar description. The staff/management went out of their way to make sure she was satisfied. Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service could improveskkarDined on 3/1/2014I love Max Gill & Grill. I've been here many times over the many years I have lived in denver. It is so good and has a wide variety of options and price ranges for any "out-to-eat" budget. We arrived at 7:35ish, for my 7:45 reservation and were told 10 minutes "or so". About 3 or 4 more couples came in and we were all waiting. They were seated first, which was a little odd. So at 7:55 I checked in. We finally were seated at 8:10. What's the point of having a reservation then? The food was delicious, our server I think his name was Rob, was awesome. We shared the grilled calamari (delicious) and I got pan-seared scallops and my friend got the lobster linguine. Delicious food, but do something about your hostesses, Max.Special Features:
- Not my best dining experience...JohnDined on 3/1/2014Food was not as good as the last time. Halibut was not firm. Crab cakes were too much filler. Every time someone opened the door it was freezing. Ran out of several of the dessert choices. Not a particularly good experience.
- Crowded and maybe overbooked.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014Crowded and maybe overbooked. The food was fair, but I have had better on previous visits.Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014Great food. Great service. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Nice Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2014Mussels were excellent. We were early but seated on time for reservation. I thought prices for drinks were very high. Food was very good and service was ok. $52.80 became $60.00 became$105. We don't do that very often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceEmil56Dined on 2/28/2014The food was good and our appetizers and drinks arrived quickly. We seemed to sit and wait quite a while to be served our main course while other tables around us had been served. The server never checked back to see how our meals were. I had been looking forward to our meal here as it is a favorite restaurants of friends. The appetizers were great - the oysters fresh and the calamari crispy. The Ahi salad was tasty and filling. The salmon was so-so. The fish a bit on the well done side and the beans/mash on the bottom pretty tasteless. I will look forward to going for happy hour and oysters. Not sure if we'll go back for entrees.
- The happy hour was fantasticJaws2Dined on 2/28/2014The happy hour was fantastic and the food was very good. i definitely will come back.Special Features:
- Great 1st experienceThedinersDined on 2/28/2014We loved this restaurant, made our reservation on open table for restaurant week. Once we got our menus we decided to just order off the normal menu as it was about the same price and we weren't restricted to just the restaurant week specials. Our service was prompt and excellent. He had great recommendations for us, and was very friendly. They had a great happy hour going, and even Better if you sat in their bar area. They had a large selection of delish dinners to choose from and both of us were impressed with our meals! I would def recommend this place to anyone especially if you love seafood! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service and AmbiencefiremangeorgieDined on 2/28/2014Hubby & I had an intimate evening here and it was great! Went in for Restaurant Week but ended up having some drinks and oh-so-wonderful appetizers instead. Ribs & shrimp were particularly great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The Short Ribs were awesome! Tuna burger very good also. The parking was a hassle, and the valet doesn't arrive until after 5:30pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A main stayOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/27/2014Max's Gill and Grill is a mainstay in our dining portfolio. We have always great service, our requests are honored and the food is great. My only comment for return customers is they need to add specials that reflect the talent in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Good food....parking nightmareMonaDined on 2/27/2014The food was great, the atmosphere was pleasant. Trying to find parking was a nightmare! Very limited street parking in front of the restaurant and you take your chances by parking in the surrounding neighborhood. I believe the restaurant has parking behind it but again this was full. The parking behind the restaurant was never mentioned to us by wait staff or the hostess, perhaps because it was always full. Valet is available after 6 but our reservation was prior to. Will rethink going to this restaurant in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered the linguine withJCMHDined on 2/26/2014I ordered the linguine with lobster and shrimp. It was very good. They didn't skimp on the lobster and shrimp. The portion was just right!. My husband had the cioppinno which he also rated as very good.Special Features:
- CAHCAHADined on 2/24/2014Tried this place during restaurant week and most everything was good. Calamari was the only thing marginal. Server even noticed the overhead heater was on too high. Nice place and we will definitely go back and try the patio in the Summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brussel sprouts Who knewbrusselsproutsDined on 2/24/2014I normally don't like brussel sprouts but these are deliciousand the steak was to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night!SueJDined on 2/22/2014Max Gill and Grill serves reliably wonderful food with casual graciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I typically love this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014I typically love this restaurant but their 5280 menu was sub-par at best.Special Features:
- Great food with friendsNanaDined on 2/22/2014Max Gill may be most of the above categories, but since we've only visited for dinner, with other adult friends, I'll stick with "neighborhood gem", noting that we came from both county line, nearly Douglas County area, and Golden, Jeffco area. Well worth it! On this occasion, since we wanted to chat with one another, we went earlier, to avoid more noise, and lucked out with a wonderful booth in a quiet area. Thank you, staff, for helping with that. Their happy hour appetizers were terrific, and a terrific bargain. Among us, we enjoyed three different delicious entrees, four different salads/appetizers, and three different amazing desserts. Reflecting on this, I believe it's time we also tried lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was mediocre, steakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014The food was mediocre, steak was ordered medium, brought to table as well done. Also, both of us ordered app Caesar salads, my husband's portion was half the size of mine. With drinks, this did not feel it was worth an $80 meal and we will be going elsewhere next time.
- MargoMargsDined on 2/22/2014Food was fantastic, service was 'right on'. And their Happy Hour prices, for both food and drinks, is a great value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Young, energetic, very noisyCarolDined on 2/20/2014This is more of a bar or tavern atmosphere than a restaurant. Huge bar, huge TVs, lots of action.Special Features:
- To start I requested a whiteTazzVIPDined on 2/17/2014To start I requested a white wine based on my dinner selection; server was not knowledgeable about wines. I had a Chardonnay which did not pair well with my meal. I had an appetizer that was shredded chx in Parma Gnocci - OK but not much flavor. The meal was a Sea and Bay scallop dish w two sauces (lemongrass-curry & Mango-jalapeno). Scallops were way overcooked and rubbery. Sauces were good but overpowered scallops; my fault for picking those sauces. I also added a lobster tail which was excellent but I wished I'd have ordered more of that! Overall, this wasn't a stellar experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver's Best Seafood PlacegmdenverDined on 2/16/2014Great food (some of the best seafood--taste & presentation), energenic atmosphere, excellent service (attentive & friendly) and an overall great place for an informal (or formal) night out. We love this place and have been more than several times and will continue to come back. Prices are reasonable for the quality, so value is indeed a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!MikeDined on 2/16/2014We always enjoy ourselves when we have dinner here at Max Gill and Grill...usually take friends and they enjoy it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary failure on Gaylord StreetPorkFaceDined on 2/16/2014Tried it once, I will not come back, not that memorable. Smaller than usual portions, crab cakes were overprized ($14 for three half dollar size crab cakes, this is not Elways). Cioppino was tasty but quite watery, my wife steak was tough. Overall very overpriced for the meals value, there are better places for the seafood and steak in Denver. OK for the neighborhood watering hole, but go for dinner someplace else.That said, our waiter was very pleasant and competent, but servers bringing the dishes just dumped them on the table and disapeared without the word.
- Awesome dinner in Wash ParkMarcbertDined on 2/15/2014We took our family and their friends from DU to this local neighborhood hangout. What a find! Great for our group of ten. Prices are reasonable and the service was great. Our table ordered an array of items from ribs to mahi mahi and no one was disappointed. Don't miss the crab dip appetizer. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server, Tim, was greatMarshaDined on 2/15/2014Our server, Tim, was great and our food delicious! Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- PatientDined on 2/15/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants. Dick and I had our very first Denver date here. We will always remember what a wonderful time we had and continue to have each time we visit.Special Features:
- In DeclineBOB3BDined on 2/15/2014Max’s was better a year or two ago when I started going. The food quality has dropped off and the service is as fast and friendly as a glacier.Special Features: