Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
53 West Portal Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rotibistro.com/
- Phone: 4156657684x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:45pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:15pm
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Fusion / Eclectic, Indian
- Executive Chef: Divender Pal Singh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Inquire with restaurant management.
- Private Party Facilities: Inquire with restaurant management about our private room available for large parties, banquets and receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Pankaj Shah 4156657684x
- Special Events: Large Private Room available for up to 50 people - ideal for parties, office meetings, birthdays, and receptions.
A word from Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
When brothers Ash and Rajiv Gujral planned a new Indian restaurant, they wanted to create neither an ultra-formal dining room nor a tiny hole in the wall venue. ROTI Indian Bistro marries casual, contemporary styling to classic Indian cuisine. Designer Susan Gujral created a warm, modern space with dramatic color, light and imagery that portrays the rich aesthetic essence of India. The chefs take diners on a culinary tour of India, offering a taste of the North in the Tandoori meat dishes and hints of the South in the vegetarian curries. Fresh breads are available from the tandoor, a mesquite- fired clay oven unique to Indian cooking. Local and organic ingredients blend with traditional Indian spices to create a diverse fresh, menu. ROTI prides itself on the dining experience - at this popular new addition to the vibrant West Portal neighborhood, refined customer service from the attentive staff and fabulous food have established a higher standard of dining for the area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Forest Hill / West Portal ›
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (16)special occasion (16)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (11)romantic (7)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Leisurely lunchLove2celebrateDined on 11/7/2013We had a long lunch celebrating my friend's birthday, and the restaurant was not too busy, so quiet. The server was outstanding; attentive, friendly and thoughtful. The food was very good except for a spinach dish which was way too hot for my taste, but my friend enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for lunch with girlfriendsmpraughtDined on 11/5/2013Went for lunch with girlfriends and we all just loved it......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I just love this place. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2013I just love this place. Great food. Great service. Reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Cures the soulPJDivaVIPDined on 10/7/2013I get the Roti electronic newsletter and was excited to read about a couple of monthly specials, so we went. I loved the pork vindaloo which was a nice stew with a bit of heat. We had the rosemary naan and chicken korma to complement it. I loved the creamy cashew sauce is so flavorful. We added the spinach and potatoes to this feast and drank it all down with a Flying Horse beer. We took the leftovers home for lunch later this week. I can't wait, for lunch, and to return to Roti for dinner very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not disappointBlesyDined on 10/4/2013We've been in Roti quite a few times and every time, we come out feeling very satisfied, with the meal and the service. They make you feel very comfortable, the manager checks each table to make sure everything's being taken cared of. The dishes are consistent good, esp. the whole bone-in chicken tandoori. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of other good dishes, but we always order the Tandoori just because it's so good. Will definitely come back just by ourselves, or to take out of friends and guests.Special Features:
- Best Indian food in SFDukeVIPDined on 10/4/2013I've tried just about all of them. This one is far above the pack with freshness, flavor, and vibe. The owner really cares about quality and it comes through.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is delicious and theEatingOutDined on 10/4/2013Food is delicious and the service is friendly and attentive. Both meat and vegetarian / vegan dishes are available, and the choices are varied. A great place for dinner...Special Features:
- A true West Portal gem!RussVIPDined on 9/29/2013What more can I say? Roti Indian Bistro is a great restaurant. The food is superb-the chicken korma and game hen are to die for. Mr. Shah, the manager? is the genial of hosts. What a wonderful man, kind and attentive. You are sure to feel welcomed. This place is the best. This is some of the best chicken korma I've ever tasted.Special Features:
- A New Indian RestaurantPaulDined on 9/27/2013My previous, favorite Indian changed hands and declined. Roti will take its place. The food was excellent, the service fine and the ambiance very nice. One of the partners came around to ask how our food was, and then to get us a sample of an alternative ice cream that he recommended. I stuck with well known items this time, from goat cheese nan to chicken korma, to compare it will my previous favorite and it surpassed everything. Spicy but mild. What a find! Although I'll be dining early here to avoid the parking hassles of the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Solid Indian FoodlovetoeatVIPDined on 9/26/2013The owner/maitre'd is the friendliest owner I have ever met and so accommodating. Really made an impression on us as to how gracious he was. It was as though we were in his home.Special Features:
- We love the food at Roti!DoloresheightsdinerVIPDined on 9/21/2013We have been there several times. We usually go to dinner there before a movie at CineArts. The wait staff is very good about making recommendations and the owner is lovely; he comes by to chat and find out how you like the food. In the West Portal neighborhood, I think it is one of the best choices. We had plenty of left overs after our Saturday dinner and I am already looking forward to going back!Special Features:
- Delicious Indian Food!!CindyVIPDined on 9/19/2013We are big fans of Roti and have returned many times. Food is very good--seasonal specials can be especially good, like curried cauliflower and Tandoori Game Hen. We always have great service, and the portions are generous. What makes Roti especially nice is that the setting is warm and even elegant. Wine selection is good--not overly extensive, but the choices are good, and there are lots of beer choices. Recommend for a special evening or a dreary evening when you need a cozy place with soul-warming food.Special Features:
- Wonderful San Francisco ExperienceGourmetAnnieDined on 8/22/2013The food was fabulous! My sister had the Gosht Madras (Lamb curry cooked southern Indian-style with coconut and golden raisins ) and I had the Jheenga Palak (Jumbo Prawns cooked with fresh spinach, mild spices, herbs, ginger and fenugreek). The decor was very nice! We had a nice bottle of Manos Negras Malbec 2007 from Mendoza Argentina that was recommended to us by our server and it was every bit as good as she said it would be. The owner came around several times to make sure we were doing fine. All in all it was a very good experience. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor follow-upOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2013Been here many, many times before and the food is always good. I always book through OpenTable and for some reason, although I only arrived 5 minutes late due to parking, I made sure to tell the person that the reservation was through OpenTable. He said no problem and all was well. But then was told that the restaurant had listed me as a no-show which bugged me and a phone call to the restaurant was unreturned. I had to take care of the matter of myself which irked me. While no complaint about the food or service, but I don't feel like I should have had to deal with the non-food aspect of this issue since it was a restaurant error.Special Features:
- Nice ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2013The service and ambience made for a positive dining experience. The naan and roti were outstanding and the highlight of our meal. However, the entrees were only so-so, somewhat bland for Indian food.Special Features:
- Still good but....PaulVIPDined on 8/8/2013gone down hill in flavor recently. I've been going here for many years as the spice has been lost. Pretty bland Indian food and need to SPICE up again.
- Chicken tikka masala needsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/5/2013Chicken tikka masala needs more chicken and suggest ordering a specialty rice dish as basmati a little on the dry side. Other dishes the 7 of us ordered were very good.Special Features:
- Excellent Front of House!MargeVIPDined on 8/2/2013Being late for our reservation turned out to be not a problem. The hostess was A+ in helping us with our delay. Curtious and communicative...much appreciated.Special Features:
- We are regulars here and loveSandyVIPDined on 7/19/2013We are regulars here and love this restaurant. try the seasonal menu's mini peppers stuffed with goat cheese and coated with chickpea batter. Very delicious!! Also the lamb vindaloo, tandoori chicken, and mango lassi are excellent. Great to meet place to take the family. go early for a quieter experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodFlowerDined on 7/13/2013Great Indian from a Brit lad who grew up on Indian food in the UK - great, quick, friendly service - would eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Indian FooddonnasdealsVIPDined on 7/8/2013We like this place. On previous visits, the noise level was bad, but an earlier reservation solved that problem. Service was very attentive. Food was very good, portions are adequate for two. It does seem a bit more expensive than other Indian food but the ambience is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Going StrongmikesVIPDined on 7/6/2013We have been dining at Roti on West Portal for many years. The food and service are consistently very good good. We always like the pakora and samosas for an appetizer. However, the samosas are very overpriced as they now serve only two very small pieces. All other items ordered had very generous portions which were easily shared.Special Features:
- Indian Cuisine in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/6/2013Roti Indian Bistro is our choice for an Indian meal in San Francisco. We are fortunate to live near this neighborhood gem. Check out the monthly specials which are always good and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland vindalooOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/6/2013Good Indian food,but not as good as prior experiences. The vindaloo was too mild,perhaps they are catering to American tastes. A good Vindaloo should be spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Indian restaurantKathDined on 7/5/2013Our kids (age 10 and 8) have only been to a few Indian restaurants - all in London. And we were delighted that they were willing to break away from their usual sushi request to try Roti, one of the best restaurants in West Portal, and one of our favorites for date night. The food was delicious, not too spicy for the kids, and the service was also terrific - for example, both our kids were brought a small mango lassi as soon as we sat at our table - which the kids loved. We will definitely be back -- with the whole family, not just for date night!Special Features:
- Outstanding ExperiencejimmywesVIPDined on 6/15/2013The cuisine is phenomenal. Sauces are carefully prepared to allow the natural flavors of the food to come through. Service is outstanding. The tandoori is the best I have ever had. Also highly recommend the Aloo Gabi - Excellent. The spinach is really fresh tasting. Outstanding dining experience. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can't say enoughRussVIPDined on 6/2/2013Every time we go, we think we should order something different, but, we order the same thing we had before, the chicken korma and the game hen. The chicken korma is some of the best I've ever had-and I've had chicken korma in a lot of different Indian restaurants. The sauce is incredible. The game hen is moist, tender, and flavorful. You won't regret ordering either of these two dishes. The mango lassi is wonderful; I order it every time. My wife likes to order their Gewurztraminer wine, which pairs well with the game hen. They also serve papadan (sp?) with a tamarind and green mint/yogurt, and other spices. This is common in a lot of Indian restaurants, BUT, their green sauce is smooth and delicious. We just love it too.Special Features:
- We arrived toward the endJesseDined on 5/31/2013We arrived toward the end of the lunch hour. Even so we were greeted warmly and we stayed till 2:30PM. The service never waivered. The food was fresh and excellent. Roti is an exceptional India restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite Indian food restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2013Wonderful food, wonderful people, lovely decor, great nan. We have never had a bad experience at Roti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2013Food is excellent, and worth every penny. The staff is helpful and very friendly. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Re-duxRalphDined on 5/23/2013Well ! We used to go to Roti a lot because the food was so good. We stopped because the service was so slow. Last week, we decided, let's give it another shot. What a happy occasion!!!! The food seemed even better and the service was outstanding. I was very surprised. I had actually braced myself for slow service, but went because my wife likes it so much. Our food was fabulous and the service was superb. Our waitress was charming and efficient. We have eaten at a lot of highly rated Indian restaurants in San Francisco and we like the food here the best. Roti has a well balanced wine list, not elite, but outstanding. What's not to like, it is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavors!EP1979Dined on 5/17/2013Everything we ordered was fresh, delicious, and made me want to go back to try some of the other dishes.Special Features:
- The Best in SFJessVIPDined on 5/2/2013Classic northern Indian, and the best Indian food in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely quiet dinner.DeliciousjoanniesanVIPDined on 4/23/2013Lovely quiet dinner.Delicious Bhindi masala, rice with seafood, mango lhasi. We were celebrating my friend's birthday and received a free yummy dessert.
- Consistently excellent food.RdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 4/13/2013Consistently excellent food. Super tasty! Great service.Special Features:
- delicious food, friendly staff,JanetDined on 4/4/2013delicious food, friendly staff, gave good suggestions about the combination of dishes we should order.Special Features:
- Perfect for any occasion!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/3/2013My favorite Indian restaurant in the city. The food is scrumptuous and the ambiance is perfect - from the lighting to the decoration, the quietness, and even the capacity of the place.Special Features:
- Perfectly cooked Chicken Tikka--moiOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/25/2013Perfectly cooked Chicken Tikka--moist inside, seared beautifully outside. Same for the Onion Kulcha. Always love the smoky flavour of the Bengen Bharta--eggplant--yum. Service is always super no matter which waiter/bus person combo one gets that night. keep up the great food and wonderful ambiance.Special Features:
- Better service seems to beTimFoodySFVIPDined on 3/17/2013Better service seems to be back at Roti/SF, which is good. Makes the very good food generally prepared and served here that much better.
- One of the best Indian food in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/12/2013Great food, one of the best indian food i have had in SF. Highly recommendedSpecial Features: