Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
53 West Portal Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rotibistro.com/
- Phone: 4156657684x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:45pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:15pm
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Fusion / Eclectic, Indian
- Executive Chef: Divender Pal Singh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Inquire with restaurant management.
- Private Party Facilities: Inquire with restaurant management about our private room available for large parties, banquets and receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Pankaj Shah 4156657684x
- Special Events: Large Private Room available for up to 50 people - ideal for parties, office meetings, birthdays, and receptions.
A word from Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
When brothers Ash and Rajiv Gujral planned a new Indian restaurant, they wanted to create neither an ultra-formal dining room nor a tiny hole in the wall venue. ROTI Indian Bistro marries casual, contemporary styling to classic Indian cuisine. Designer Susan Gujral created a warm, modern space with dramatic color, light and imagery that portrays the rich aesthetic essence of India. The chefs take diners on a culinary tour of India, offering a taste of the North in the Tandoori meat dishes and hints of the South in the vegetarian curries. Fresh breads are available from the tandoor, a mesquite- fired clay oven unique to Indian cooking. Local and organic ingredients blend with traditional Indian spices to create a diverse fresh, menu. ROTI prides itself on the dining experience - at this popular new addition to the vibrant West Portal neighborhood, refined customer service from the attentive staff and fabulous food have established a higher standard of dining for the area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Forest Hill / West Portal ›
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (47)special occasion (20)good for groups (18)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (11)romantic (8)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Roti is excellent indian-caliellaschrisVIPDined on 5/9/2008Roti is excellent indian-cali bistro very clean and you dont smell like curries when you get home we love this placeSpecial Features:
- Seated right on time, appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/8/2008Seated right on time, appetizers soon followed, however our entrees were very long in coming. They did treat us to another appetizer while we waited, but still must mention the slowness. Otherwise a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- I have been several times,GaryPegSF62VIPDined on 5/8/2008I have been several times, mostly for dinner. Service and food have always been outstanding. I continue to bring more friends here and each one has really enjoyed it. The owners are incredibly gracious and always stop to say hello when I'm there.Special Features:
- Very noisy!!! Ordered lambOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/6/2008Very noisy!!! Ordered lamb chops to be cooked medium but came really well done. Restaurant was very nice about replacing it very quickly and the second time around it was perfect! Even offered to gave us one of the deserts for free!Special Features:
- A nice alternative in theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/6/2008A nice alternative in the West Portal neighborhood, but the noise level was much too loud to carry on a conversation. I could barely hear my friends and had to raise my voice to be heard in return.Special Features:
- Always excellent food. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/29/2008Always excellent food. The wine list is a little pricey as it is hard to appreciate subtle flavours with the food. Big simple wines at a cheaper price would be appreciated.Special Features:
- it was a busy night with severalOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/27/2008it was a busy night with several large parties already eating. we had reservations for 2, but when we arrived we were told that the only table available was a 2-top normally saved for walk-ins - located right in the front, near the door and in the middle. we noticed there was an open 4-top - they said it was reserved for another party. this other party didn't arrive until we were finishing our meal. i felt that our reservation, because it was just for 2, was not respected. the food and service, otherwise, was quite good.
- The handling of the wine wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2008The handling of the wine was very poor, glasses were filled too full, did not let us taste the bottle prior to pouring, and a random foodserver poured all of the remaining wine into one glass against the wishes of the table. Very amateur.Special Features:
- Extremely loud. Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/26/2008Extremely loud. Service was poor, didn't get what we ordered. Waiter was more interested in talking with friends who were at the next table. Overpriced! Won't be going back.
- Repeat customer. Food isAnonDined on 4/24/2008Repeat customer. Food is always excellent. Unfortunately when it gets busy at prime times the noise level is very high and it is hard to have a conversation. Need better acoustic soundproofing. Also the seating layout is a bit cramped so my dining companions who were not on the benches kept getting bumped by the servers during the meal, which is not very pleasant.Special Features:
- Our favorite Indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2008Our favorite Indian restaurant in SF! Wide variety of dishes, amazingly fresh breads and friendly, efficient staff. Well worth the drive to West Portal (and we live in Pac Heights).Special Features:
- We loved the tandoori salmon,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2008We loved the tandoori salmon, house dal, basil naan, mango chutney, chicken tikka masasla, and everything else we ordered. The orange kulfi was especially good. The restaurant could use a double entry door (like the one used at Bursa) to keep out the gusts of wind that blow off of West Portal Avenue.Special Features:
- The service and ambiance areluxnoirDined on 4/18/2008The service and ambiance are great, and the location is a good place for meeting friends on MUNI. Once again, I am disappointed in the quality of Indian food in San Francisco, particularly for the price. I'd much rather dine at Breads of India.
- Roti was recommended by anOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2008Roti was recommended by an Indian friend and we were very happy with the experience. Even our 7 and 9 year old kids loved it.
- Our reservation was for oneOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/11/2008Our reservation was for one o'clock on a Thursday afternoon. We were told to just sit anywhere, no one seated us. Our food was mediocre at best. The appetizer we shared was a papadam, one samosa too hard to cut in half to share, and two clumps of unidentifiable, greasy vegetable, I think was onion. The fish was nicely done on one entree. The chicken tikka masala was only okay. Price is high for quality of food. When we left there were eight dirty tables, not counting ours. The tables had never been cleaned that were dirty when we walked in and as people left, their tables were not cleaned. Hardly appetizing atmosphere for a meal. The owners were both present & did not seem to mind the dirty tables.
- Roti is one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/9/2008Roti is one of my favorite restaurants in town. It is close to my house, the decor has an upscale contemporary "downtown" look, the food is always nicely seasoned and service is always consistently good. Please tell the folks at Roti to keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Excellent and interestingEdwardDined on 4/8/2008Excellent and interesting Indian cuisine. Good service and attentive staff. Wine list is reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Excellent, beyond compareOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2008Excellent, beyond compare dishes that have phenomenal creativity and flair--where else can you get goat cheese naan (my addiction). The tandoori fish is always succulent and spankingly fresh. The curries, though, I wish were more authentic and fiery; they're good in a refined and restrained way, but being indian, I prefer the hot, unabashed powerful curry flavor to burst through the roof of my mouth. When we want curry, we go to Shalimar or Pakwan or Naan n Curry, though we'd love to be able to go to Roti--please have at least one or two very fiery and hot more authentic curries on the menu for us desis!Special Features:
- Wonderful Indian food butVeroniqueDined on 4/3/2008Wonderful Indian food but in an elegant Western atmosphere. Spices toned down for Western palate. Good wine & beer list. A very enjoyable experience!Special Features:
- The food was delicious, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 4/2/2008The food was delicious, especially the Nan sampler! The waiter was very kind, and offered us some samples of their newest wine. It was a bit noisy, but that seems to be unavoidable in San Francisco! Overall, the meal was wonderful, and I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- The food is among the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2008The food is among the best Indian fare in the city, but the prices are so out of line with other Indian restaurants that this would never merit more than the occasional (once or twice a year) visit.Special Features:
- Had a 9:30pm reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/1/2008Had a 9:30pm reservation, arrived at 9:40pm. The guy at the door asked if we were the web reservation and when we said yes, he said "Good, let's get you going, the kitchen is breaking down." Personally, I think that is a bad way to start out your dinner experience. Roti's website says they are open until 10:30pm. The server was friendly, and took our appetizer and entree orders. They did however arrive at the same time, to hich the server said "I guess they had nothing else to do in the kitchen." Again, he tried to play it cute, didn't work for me as a professional statement.
- They should do some smallerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/1/2008They should do some smaller vegetable side dishes. Best curry in SF.Special Features:
- Best Indian food in San Francisco.SunsetVIPDined on 3/30/2008Best Indian food in San Francisco. Always fresh, always friendly.Special Features:
- It was my second visit andLove2celebrateDined on 3/26/2008It was my second visit and still an excellent experience.Special Features:
- The dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2008The dining experience was great. Restaurant is very versatile - for groups, couples, friends, etc. Especially notable was the service. I was at the restaurant early, and was seated immediately. I was able to enjoy a glass of wine casually without worrying that my friend wasn't there yet. A great neighborhood restaurant. The only reason I did not give it an outstanding, is that I typically reserve that for high-end/five star restaurants. However, overall, great food and amazing value.Special Features:
- I'm Indian, so I'm very pickyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2008I'm Indian, so I'm very picky about Indian food and I go to a lot of authentic Indian dives around the Bay Area. But when my husband and I want some refined Indian food with pristine ingredients and grease-less dishes, we always come here. The service is so friendly, warm, and attentive. We had a fantastic time here!Special Features:
- I love it when there is aOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2008I love it when there is a good movie playing in West Portal because I then get to go to my favorite Indian restaurant, Roti. This is the best Indian food I have ever had. EVERYTHING is delicious! The nan is especially to die for! We brought my friend that was visiting from DC and she is a real foodie. She is still talking about it today! :-) Love this place!Special Features:
- I went with my mom and 2 friendsLove2celebrateDined on 3/14/2008I went with my mom and 2 friends to celebrate my birthday on March 14, and we had a wonderful experience made even more memorable by the friendly server. The food was delicious, but watch out for the spicy shrimp; it was too spicy for us even though we like hot and spicy foods. She even gave us a complimentary generous serving of a very unique but delicious flavor of Mitchell's ice cream. Everyone will go back and take others. CarolSpecial Features:
- One of the best Indian restaurants,OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 3/14/2008One of the best Indian restaurants, and happens to be near our 'hood. Love the decor, food, service. Keeps us coming back all the time.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian Food...aOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/10/2008Excellent Indian Food...a bit crowded at times but we really like itSpecial Features:
- Lovely restaurant-a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/9/2008Lovely restaurant-a little crowded but it feels upbeat and fun. Food is really good and the staff has always been very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Exceptional Indian cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2008Exceptional Indian cuisine with a flair for the exotic. Traditional Indian specialities are featured with some fusion elements - naan with goat cheese. All dishes were excusitely prepared and with miminal oil incorporated into the entrees - a distinguishing factor from the usual Indian fare. Prices are reasonable for the dining experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Very good selection, nicelyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2007Very good selection, nicely seasoned, solid service. The ambiance was good, but the noise was a bit more than desirable though not terribly distracting. Good value overall.Special Features:
- i dont like Indian food muchOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/22/2007i dont like Indian food much but I loved the food here.Special Features: