2200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.districtcommonsdc.com/
- Phone: 2025878277
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
DINNER: Monday-Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef/Owner Jeff Tunks; Executive Chef Alfredo Solis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: On Washington Circle near corner of 22nd St. and Penn. Ave.
- Public Transit: District Commons is located two blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro on the Blue/Orange Lines , and is serviced by Metrobus and the Circulator.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is located in front of District Commons and is available every day of the week from 5:30 pm until close of business. Valet is also offered Sunday Brunch starting at 11:00 am until close of Brunch. Valet charge is $8. There is also a parking garage for the building, the entrance for garage is located on 22nd St.
A word from District Commons
Located on bustling Washington Circle in the West End, District Commons is anchored by a monumental raw bar and an open hearth oven for flatbreads and savory tarts. A 'Pig Board' of ham and biscuits will showcase a selection of America's finest hams. Chef/Owner Jeff Tunks serves up classic American cuisine in this gorgeous setting. Chili Glazed Duck, Brick Pressed Chicken, Classic Hanger Steak - these choices and more! Freshly baked breads and desserts round out your meal. Try one of our regional American drafts or exquisite wines, or sample from the 99 Beers on the Wall!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
District Commons reviews from OpenTable diners
397 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (143)great for lunch (134)good for groups (132)neighborhood gem (108)special occasion (88)vibrant bar scene (84)great for brunch (79)hot spot (75)notable wine list (51)great for outdoor dining (49)romantic (28)kid-friendly (27)scenic view (20)late-night find (14)Show More
- First time was the CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014I'd never been to DC even though it is within walking distance to my office. I was greeted with enthusiasm and allowed to sit even though I was 15 minutes early for my reservation and my dining partner was not there. We had simple dishes for lunch. The Restaurant Week menu looked like a good deal, but it was more food than I was going to be able to consume. I had flatbread which what very tasty and light. My partner had a salad which was complete and, apparently, filling. I will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchLuv2DineDined on 8/10/2014Went to District Commons for a friends birthday brunch recently and it was delicious. The shrimp and grits was fantastic! You also can't go wrong with the funnel cake for desert.Special Features:
- Brunch...yum yum yumCarlDined on 8/10/2014Sunday brunch before a Kennedy Center matinee. We parked in a free spot right at the KC and it was a short 10 min stroll to DC. Arrived just before opening and got a nice outdoor table on Washington Circle. Service attentive and friendly but not hovering - excellent balance. The $5 Bloody Mary was a awesome deal, and the brunch selection on the menu diverse. Food was really very tasty and promptly served. Our friend limes her eggs cooked through on Eggs Benedict so they had to go back to the kitchen the first time - the staff waited for her to check them when they delivered them to the table. Minor oversight (and I don't get the cooked through idea either). All in all - a real winner! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Comfort food meets creativity and modern cuisine. Upscale and relaxed atmosphere made for a great night outSpecial Features:
- Great place!BearVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food great, and service as well. Give it a try! You will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time, great foodhappy2dineDined on 8/8/2014I've been here for lunch a year ago, and met friends for dinner recently. We were seated far from the bar, but later the noise level increased making it a little difficult for conversation. Everyone thought their food was delicious. Service was informed, helpful, and available, without hovering. FYI, the mini-root beer float for dessert is 4 little glasses with delicious vanilla ice cream and really good root beer. But I thought I was getting a small dessert. Not really, when only one friend helped me with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014Food and eating experience could be better for the price.
- A Second Chance Paid OffOmnivoreVIPDined on 8/4/2014We had a great time at District Commons, and I would happily go back for another evening. My companion ordered the day's catch and ate every bite, while I ordered the day's special salad and the Hand Pies, both of which were packed with flavor. Our server, Chris, was terrific: well-informed, welcoming, alert, and thoughtful. I had had brunch at this restaurant a few years ago and was unimpressed. This return visit reminded me that even restaurants deserve a second chance.Special Features:
- OKHoneydewVIPDined on 8/4/2014I had a flatbread and the trout. Good food and great service . We went early... 5:30Special Features:
- Great for Business LunchmarinastrezDined on 8/4/2014When I made the reservation, I requested a quieter table for a business conversation, and the table provided was perfect. District Commons' food is always excellent. The service is very good - almost intuitive. Recommended!Special Features:
- Tastyluv3dineDined on 8/2/2014Went here with friends for a goodbye brunch - very nice! Pretzel bread, so good!Special Features:
- RicardoDined on 8/1/2014The food was very good, but the restaurant is very noisy. The open plan of the restaurant lets the bar crowd noise into the dining area.Special Features:
- Table Please!KimwDined on 8/1/2014We arrived at District Commons 10 minutes before our reservations & waited 15 minutes for our table. I didn't think that the restaurant was that busy at 5:20, & I happened to notice several open tables when we arrived. When we were seated, it happened to be at a table that I had noticed wasn't occupied when we arrived. I'm not sure why we had to wait. We were seated in a booth & for me, at 6 ft., the table was much too high for the booth seat that I sank into, and I was uncomfortable during our entire meal. However, I thought the meal was enjoyable, (even though I've had better meat-loaf than "Nana Sue's"), my friend & I both agreed that the wait-staff was friendly & attentive leaving us with no complaints other than the seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet, greet, and eat!JonahKuhioDined on 7/31/2014Truly energetic, conveniently located, and good food and service - how can you beat that?Special Features:
- disappointingd2013Dined on 7/31/2014Service was fine. Food was not good. Crabcake was tiny, sides were well below average -- too salty, too watery. Only good thing was the pretzel bread -- which we were charged for. Will not return.
- MehCAgirlDined on 7/30/2014Food was very overpriced for the portions, and it was not cooked well. The service was very slow. Cocktails were mediocre but overpriced. Just a disappointing experience. They did seat us right away even though two in our group hadn't arrived yet.
- Average food, average pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014Been here twice. Food is nothing special. Not bad, it is just okay. Restaurant is a scene - nice bar, well appointed, nice wine list, etc. It is loud near the bar. I was miffed at hostess because we asked to sit in a more quiet area both when we made the on-line reservation and again when we arrived. Nope. And it wasn't like we arrived at 7:00 on a Saturday. There were plenty of tables on a Wednesday at 6:30. They seemed to have traded youth for competence at the hostess station. Waiter was very good. He knew the menu, helped us with beer and wine, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a cramped space.JulsDined on 7/30/2014Tables are a bit too close for small parties. You have to talk over the conversations around you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually a 4 out of 5 not this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/30/2014I go here frequently for special lunches as it is so close to the office. The service this time around was terrible. It took us 30 minutes to get the pretzel bread and another 30 minutes to get our lunches. My food wasn't warm so it makes me wonder how long it sat there. No apologies for any of the delays. The waiter let our ice tea drinks go empty. Lastly, we didn't get the mini macaroons at the end. I have a choice of where we go for special lunches these days in foggy bottom and unfortunately this one will be my last choice goi forward.
- debrenDined on 7/29/2014Took my parents there for dinner when they came to visit. Food was great, but service was middle of the road; perhaps because of the busy dinner crowd. Liked the energy of the restaurant and the open kitchen concept.Special Features:
- Everything we hoped it would beDateNightDudeDined on 7/24/2014I dislike long Yelper reviews because they are so self-righteous, so I will just say that when looking for an upscale meal near the Kennedy Center on show night for 6 of us accompanied by a few cocktails and laughs, District Commons was great. The menu is diverse, albeit a bit pricey compared to some nearby competitors, and the atmosphere and staff were trendy yet not pretentious, which you find a lot in Foggy Bottom. The dessert menu was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Speedy service, but average foodKatieVIPDined on 7/23/2014We were really happy with how quickly we were in and out because we were going to a show, but had we not been in more of a rush, we might have felt rushed...food comes out fast! Great gazpacho and the bread and butter are delicious. Flatbread left a little to be desired in terms of flavor. We were surprised that there was no question about the burger temp (well done, medium, etc), but it was more of a shredded beef (a little weird), so we guess that's why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Great place--reliably good. One of our neighborhood favorites.Special Features:
- Good choice for business lunchFussyDinerDined on 7/21/2014Conveniently located next to Foggy Bottom Metro, tasty comfort food, excellent service, reasonable prices. My only minor complaint is that the lunch portions can be small. My salmon came in a small but reasonable portion. My friend's main course of tilapia (the day's special) was tiny, especially served on a giant bed of leafy salad that dwarfed the meager (though delicious) piece of fish. The desserts we had, Boston Cream pie and Rocky Road sundae, were more generously sized, both decadently rich and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent West End DiningWestEndinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014District Commons has consistently served great food and provided great service. They also have an extensive, but not overwhelming menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and VibeMarlowe17Dined on 7/19/2014District Commons is a light, airy space with tables sufficiently apart that conversation is possible. The food is not spectacular but is very good, and we always have had attentive but not cloying service. The bar features many modern takes on cocktails but fortunately is both willing and able to deliver on traditional drinks as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!GrayDined on 7/18/2014Had a great late dinner with six friends - great drink menu, most of the food was tasty and our server was outstanding! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two lunches here in one weekKathleneVIPDined on 7/18/2014And both were very enjoyable. Delicious soups (the gazpacho was especially good), very nice salads (and a good helping for lunch -- esp. liked the house salad with deviled eggs and bacon, though it's not really praline bacon), the $2 pretzel baguette is awesome and they make nice strong iced tea and keep it coming. A great place for a lunch with colleagues.Special Features:
- Super SalmontallguyDined on 7/14/2014Great meal and great service. My salmon was delicious and cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A down day at D.CommonsKelizkiVIPDined on 7/14/2014District Commons is a go-to for me at lunch, happy hour and dinner but this last visit, they seemed to be slumping. Hurried server yet lunch took forever, no more lovely presentation of the yellow gazpacho being poured over the lump crab, sad little croutons, and a really terrible pasta primavera with an odd vinegary taste and overcooked veg. Hope next time is back up to the usual standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NotAChefVIPDined on 7/13/2014Perfect for pre-Kennedy Center. Ask for one of the booths near the windows. Good vegetarian options which was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- Always a treat!tjsimVIPDined on 7/12/2014District Commons is that unique restaurant in DC -- spacious and atmospheric, yet friendly and comfortable; bistro-like comfort food, yet innovative and delicious fare fit for foodies. The duck is amazing. I always recommend the duck. Try the duck! The staff is warm and helpful, but not oppressively hanging around your table. We like the quieter booths near the back of the restaurant. The bar is stocked with terrific small-batch American liquors. Try the Blue Coat gin. No -- wait. Don't try the Blue Coat. I don't want them to run out of it. Marilyn greets with a smile at the front desk. A great concept, a good buy, a go-to choice.Special Features:
- Best beet salad I've ever had!texasgalVIPDined on 7/12/2014So delicious. I'll be going back there just for that. The pretzel baguette is also good ... and unique.
- Excellent!TheresaVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had dinner prior to going to the Kennedy Center. The restaurant was excellent and we let them know that we were attending a show, so the waitress (who was exceptional) kept a good eye on our time and kept things moving. We had the scallops (wonderful) and the Thai mussels were excellent. Catching the free shuttle to the Kennedy Center was quite convenient as it is just outside of the Foggy Bottom metro, which is within 1 block of the restaurant, so we didn't have to move our car twice. Would go there again in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad for brunch.AlexVIPDined on 7/12/2014...Although the valet parking is tricky: there's no pull out, so you're still in a traffic lane which OBTW just pulls out from the traffic circle, so other cars don't see you until...well, you get the picture. Having said that, for an early Sunday Brunch parking was easy but I'm guessing not so much during other times. Food was great, service was great, price was right!Special Features:
- Excellent place for DinnerKevinDined on 7/8/2014Stopped in with my family. Wanted a very light meal. I settled on the ham and biscuits as well as a couple pretzel breads. Very good food. Definitely want to try again.Special Features:
- Fun time at District commonsleniVIPDined on 7/6/2014It's a big restaurant with many tables and a roomy bar. We were there on a Sunday when it was not so busy, but, according to my husband,, it can get to be very lively. I thought the food was very fine with portions just the right size. The pretzel bread served with garlic butter was special and very good. we went pre-theater which was fun and the server was cognizant of our time constraints. Wine list by the glass was commendable. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful placeFranDined on 7/6/2014The food was great and the service excellent. Our waiter, Chris, was super nice and efficient. We loved everything about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!brunchisthebestVIPDined on 7/5/2014Came here for a nice dinner for my boyfriend's parents. It was a great meal. Only thing is the waiter brought us the wrong wine, 3 times. Not really normal or expected. Finally got it all figured out, but probably shouldn't have happened. Other than that the food was delicious and the menu had a great variety.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableNatashaDined on 7/5/2014District Commons has always been a favorite for lunch, but this was the first time going for weekend brunch. There were seven of us, and we were seated in the middle of the restaurant. Got a bit noisy, hard to talk for the first part of our brunch. Then it got a bit quieter. Everyone ordered something different, and most of us enjoyed the food. My nephew, who is a beer aficianado, had a great time ordering from the extensive beer menu, even though his first two choices were not available. The usual blood orange mimosas did not appear to be blood orange. The virgin mary was far too spicy. Most of us agreed that we would have enjoyed a few more omelette and egg choices on the menu for brunch. Staff always so friendly and helpful.Special Features: