295 S. Pennsylvania Ave.
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafebarcolorado.com/
- Phone: 3033620227
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am-2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jesse Albertini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Contact owner with requests/questions.
- Private Party Contact: Dane Huguley 3033620227
A word from cafebar
Here at cafe|bar our goal is to provide exceptional hospitality and creative cuisine in an affordable fashion. cafe|bar, designed by Owner Dane Huguley, whose vision was to create an atmosphere that was modern but comfortable, making guests feel as though they are dining in an urban upscale restaurant with a residential charm. Our focus is to be a community restaurant; we are 100% wind powered, recycle our fryer oil, utilizing composting programs and energy efficient equipment. cafe|bar cuisine is prepared by chef Eric Rivera; where he is combining classic and new American dishes while keeping them unique and affordable. In addition, we have a unique yet sophisticated wine and spirits list to accompany our cuisine. We strive to be involved and give back to our community in any way shape or form and promise to deliver an experience desired time and time again.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
cafebar reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)great for outdoor dining (55)fit for foodies (53)great for brunch (28)romantic (23)good for groups (18)special occasion (18)hot spot (15)great for lunch (13)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Excellent appetizers, abilitytriggerDined on 2/19/2014Excellent appetizers, ability to mix and match smaller portions make for a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy brunchCharcutermanDined on 2/15/2014Went here for a brunch, and the food was great. Pumpkin pancakes were great and the bacon was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood high or low point??OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/14/2014After reading the reviews my husband and I were excited to go to cafebar. What we had was a poor experience at best. The service was dismal, the food was sorely under seasoned and the cocktails were less impressive. Our server, when asked, could not offer an opinion on the meals or the libations- which were touted as unique to the restaurant. We found the lack of service and inability to prepare a cocktail without reading the directions very sad. One might say that we came at a down time for the restaurant, but lunch on Valentines day?? Really?? As foodies ourselves who have enjoyed the likes of Mizuna, Fruition, Table 6, Poteger and other Denver gems, we left disappointed with very little desire to return.
- Fantastic Restaurant!juliaeileenDined on 2/10/2014Loved the menu options, the food was delicious, the cocktails unique and the service personal and professional! We will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Nice lunch discoverycvb1denverVIPDined on 2/10/2014We went to lunch to celebrate a low key birthday and were pleasantly surprised. Very nice decor, outdoor patio looks like it will be very nice in better weather. The food was very good-- we mosly had specialty salads and soups. Minor problem with the order but the wait staff was very friendly and accommodating. Can't wait to try it for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cozy and classyLibrechikDined on 2/8/2014we love cafebar and go there once or twice a week -- of course we live just a few steps away! But the food and ambience are worth a crosstown trip. Wonderful fresh food, interesting wine list, excellent service, and affordable for we neighborhood types!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spotTommyDined on 2/7/2014My wife and I love dining at Cafe Bar. The menu is constantly changing and they make a conscious effort to source locally. The wine list is great and the house sommelier makes selecting wines much easier. Our only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that it can get pretty noisy in there which can make conversation difficult if you have a larger party. With that said, I'll take a little background noise to complete silence any day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vibe, Service, and Food!CycloneusaDined on 2/1/2014This is my new go-to place for brunch or dinner. Sunday bottomless mimosas are good and the short rib Benedict is te bomb! Great staff and cheerful service with food that won't disappoint. Parking is a bit of a drag, but worth a little walk for this great west wash park neighborhood place. Can't wait for warmer weather to hang on their patio. And there's a large communal table near the open kitchen which would be a blast for a big dinner celebration.Special Features:
- Enjoyed BrunchDenverDinerVIPDined on 2/1/2014Had a great brunch at CafeBar this weekend. It was our first time there. Both dishes were excellently prepare, slight variations on traditional brunch options. My (corn meal) biscuits and (green chili) gravy offered the perfect comfort good. But, with much more flavor and the perfect biscuit consistency to sustain the gravy. It was perfect to the last bite!Special Features:
- Good Food, MUCH TOO NOISYMoniqueWashParkDined on 1/23/2014This was my second time at CafeBar. As before, the food is simple, but really, really good. I am very much into salads and organic, local food. And this place is great for that. The brussel sprouts salad is great, as is the faro salad. The appetizers are inventive and delicious and the sandwiches are yummy. However, they need to do something about the noise level. I was here previously for a late lunch, so it was pretty quiet (and lovely food). Then, I took a friend here after a movie on the Thursday night, and we could barely hear each other across a two-person table! I really like everything about this place, and it's close to my house. But I won't come here at night again, without a bull horn to yell at the people across the table.
- Could have been a lot betterOutnaboutDined on 1/20/2014A friend and I decided to give it a try on a chilly but sunny day. I had the soup of the day and the Brussels sprout salad. She had grilled cheese and sweet potato fries. The Brussels sprout salad was delicious! The soup (tomato bisque) tasted good but it wasn't even approaching hot and the bowl was half full. We both ordered hot tea as the room was quite chilly. Not once did the waitress ask to refill our hot water or glass of water for that matter. Ther were two other occupied tables but the food delivery and service was way slow. My friend really liked her sandwich and the fries were generous but really greasy. I wouldn't go again unless I was in the neighborhood.
- Terrible experienceLadywholovesgoodfoodDined on 1/18/2014If you're looking for loud and obnoxious ambience, irritating neighboring diners mere inches away from your table, and mediocre (at best) food, then this is your place. We went to CafeBar for a special birthday dinner based on the online menu, which looked very promising. What we got was a server who largely ignored us, extremely loud ambience (we couldn't hear each other without shouting), annoying hipsters all around, and food that was unbalanced and flat. If I wanted fat on top of more fat, I would have stayed home and just eaten a stick of butter washed down with some heavy cream. It wouldn't taste very different from the bacon "confit" and short ribs. What a disappointment. We will not be returning.
- Not as impressed as last timeAndrewDined on 1/17/2014I live around the corner and LOVE eating here since the menu is always changing. I was not impressed this time around. I had the petite fillet and the gratin potatoes were cold in the middle. My fiancé ordered the Vegetable Samosa and the quinoa tasted like it came from the dead sea, it was nothing but salt you could not taste anything. We have had good meals here before, this time, not so much. I will wait until summer and might go back. For now, I will be going to different restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Gluten savvyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/17/2014I would return to this restaurant, but want folks to understand that they do not take gluten sensitivity seriously - the server didn't seem to think it was a problem to put breaded potato tots on a plate where gluten had been discussed in ordering. That said, the food is carefully sourced, very well prepared and delicious. On each of 3 visits the service was extremely slow - doesn't seem to matter time of day or day of week. The Bloody Mary is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Impressions...JackFlashDined on 1/15/2014A friend suggested we try a new place and Cafe'Bar was one of two we settled on. Arrived a little early for our reservation sat at the bar to start a glass of wine till my friend arrived-- Bartender was very knowledgable about the wines-- describing the Spanish Grenache perfectly. While I waited, we chatted and he offed a taste of a new, not on the list yet-- a Barbera- also outstanding. My friend arrived and we were enjoying our selves so much at the bar and Nic kept taking great care of us so we gave up a table and enjoyed another 3 1/2 hours of enjoying exceptionally well prepared and creative dishes and brilliant, affordable wines. Outstanding first visit! Will be back and highly recommend Cafe'Bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three times and going on 20HananVIPDined on 1/4/2014Yummmmmmyyyyyyy I'm done Oh, watch we're you sit,,, It can be not so comfy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerDJaboDined on 1/3/2014We had the braised short ribs and the salmon. Both were spectacular! The Brussels sprouts were a bit salty but still delicious. wait staff was attentive. We got there early 6ish and by 7 the place was packed, with good reason. Definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad it's in my neighborhood!steviegtrVIPDined on 1/1/2014Just had brunch there and loved the food and the service. And had the best bloody mary ever!Special Features:
- New Years EvekeldanoDined on 12/31/2013They had a 4-course meal for New Years Eve. It was just so-so. A little pedestrian for $60 per person!
- Saturday night outKitnoDined on 12/28/2013We had reservations for 6:30 and our table was available immediately. The restaurant seemed busy but not overly so and our server was very pleasant and helpful. We each had a half house salad for starters which was good. Our entrees were served promptly and were very good. My husband had the short ribs and I had the petite filet. My steak was a bit more rare than medium rare but it was tasty. We both enjoyed wine and I loved the idea of half and full glasses.. We will eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my birthday dinnerSheasmomDined on 12/27/2013Food was fantastic! We were comped an appetizer and a dessert - my inlaws from Claifornia raved about the restaurant - Thanks to CafeBar for a memorable dining experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great date night location!mj415Dined on 12/27/2013We decided to go to cafebar for appetizer and drinks before meeting some friends at another restaurant for dinner. It was a great choice! I am a bit disappointed that we didn't eat dinner at cafe bar. Great atmosphere and vibe. Our server was so nice and very knowledgable about the wine and the menu. We had a meat and cheese plate and a glass of wine. But again, I wish we would have been able to have a full meal. We will definitely be back and hopefully in time for the patio to open in the summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMphilleyDined on 12/21/2013I made a reservation for four and at the last minute, a fifth joined. That was NO problem for Cafe Bar! Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and flexible. The food was amazing for all of us, and we just loved it there. Even my family full of foodies from Seattle was impressed :).Special Features:
- Creative Brunch MenuTrishWS13VIPDined on 12/15/2013Let's start with the crispy pork belly over creamed leeks...OMG! Served as a shared opener, it overshadowed everything else we ate. The items on the menu all sounded so good, & I could imagine how each dish would taste. Unfortunately, my choice (Short Rib Benedict) did not live up to the flavor I imagined it would have, but my dining partner's choice (Squash & Brussels sprouts w/walnut pesto Benedict) far exceeded expectations. I was having serious plate envy! BTW, the English muffins under those Benedicts were excellent! Servers were attentive & cordial. But the chairs on the patio need to be replaced with something more comfortable, that is if they want diners to stay for dessert or more drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but wouldn't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/9/2013I very much enjoyed the food and service but with the tables just a few inches apart,we were literally shoulder to shoulder with the people eating around us with as if we were part of their conversation. It was an incomprehensible arrangement to me and I will not return
- great food and great service,DaveVIPDined on 12/9/2013great food and great service, without being stuffy. Fun place to go for a great meal with a very cool urban vibe. Great job. Our server did a fantastic job, and she is one of the reasons we will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was extremely cold in theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2013It was extremely cold in the restaurant despite a couple of space heaters, the food was fantastic though!Special Features:
- Little Big CafePeabodyDined on 12/7/2013A pre-play dinner was provided graciously on a very cold evening -temperatures in the below zero range. This small, modernly eclectic star of a restaurant was hopping with cheery people and servers offered a warm spot with excellent food (the tomato bisque exquisite and short ribs melted off the bone). Highly recommended for many reasons and occasions. You'll be missing out on great meals if you do not dine at Cafebar!Special Features:
- Flat Out DeliciousemathisDined on 12/6/2013Second time in Denver in the last three months and this was hands down the best meal of my visit. Great way to celebrate my belated birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've enjoyed brunch hereHendersonVIPDined on 11/30/2013We've enjoyed brunch here many times...unfortunately, this time there was a bit of a sewage smell coming from the basement stairwell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Petite FiletMissouri67Dined on 11/23/2013We visited this restaurant for the first time last Saturday night. The menu had a limited number of unique entrees such as rabbit, lamb T-bone, and acorn squash. We tried the petite filet. Both steaks came out exactly as we ordered and were excellent. The waitress and a manager suggested a couple of wines that went nicely with the meal. The noise level in our room was somewhat loud at times, but not so bad we couldn't hear each other. Parking is all along the side street next to it. We found a spot immediately perhaps because it was early evening. I will return to CafeBar because the food was wonderful and we were given good advice about our drinks and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood spotsterlisrDined on 11/23/2013Their food is creative and tasty, and the service is great. The place was very loud at brunch time. I had trouble holding conversation because it was so loud in their front dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChillyEatoutoftenVIPDined on 11/22/2013If you are near the windows or doors it is chilly in the restaurant. Needs better insulation on glass, curtains or something. Two visits- wore coat both times.Special Features:
- Homey with an inspired menuAshleyADined on 11/16/2013We enjoyed our meal very much! Although the wait time from the time we place our order until the time we got our food was a bit high. The $10 bottomless mimosa's are a good deal if you will have more than one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood find. CreativeDianeVIPDined on 11/15/2013Great neighborhood find. Creative food. Stuffed acorn squash was delicious. Quite noisy. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treasureLauraDined on 11/5/2013We ate here with a group for my birthday party and it was wonderful. Everyone loved their meal and the wine list was great. An added bonus is that you can buy 1/2 glasses of wine, which we all loved because we were able to try several different wines. Our waiter was fantastic - attentive, funny, charming, and was good at recommending wines. We'll go back!Special Features:
- Food was not so greatFAMOVIPDined on 11/4/2013I have been here several times but the last two times the food has been rather bland. Not sure if they have a new chef but I got the short ribs and it was just a hunk of meat with no real flavor. My husbands rabbit was the same. Kind of disappointed since we spent well over $150 with our family of four.
- Worst service I have had there.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/3/2013Worst service I have had there. I the past I have been very pleased, if this was my first experience I would never go back. Still not sure if I will go back again.
- All signs pointed to greatBusinessTravelerVIPDined on 11/2/2013This should be a fantastic place. The muscles and the brussels sprout salad to start were Exactly what I thought they would be: amazing. I ordered the rabbit for an entrée since the ravioli special was sold out, and I think that rabbit had been sitting there under the heat lamps for quite a while. It was dry and tough. Everything else on the plate was really well done, but I was disappointed. I would go back to the restaurant again, yet, with so many amazing restaurants in Denver, it might take a while to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my second visit toruns2eatDined on 10/24/2013This was my second visit to CafeBar...I really like how the menu changes and that there isn't so much to choose from. We went for a Birthday celebration and really enjoyed sharing platesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.