295 S. Pennsylvania Ave.
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafebarcolorado.com/
- Phone: 3033620227
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am-2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jesse Albertini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Contact owner with requests/questions.
- Private Party Contact: Dane Huguley 3033620227
A word from cafebar
Here at cafe|bar our goal is to provide exceptional hospitality and creative cuisine in an affordable fashion. cafe|bar, designed by Owner Dane Huguley, whose vision was to create an atmosphere that was modern but comfortable, making guests feel as though they are dining in an urban upscale restaurant with a residential charm. Our focus is to be a community restaurant; we are 100% wind powered, recycle our fryer oil, utilizing composting programs and energy efficient equipment. cafe|bar cuisine is prepared by chef Eric Rivera; where he is combining classic and new American dishes while keeping them unique and affordable. In addition, we have a unique yet sophisticated wine and spirits list to accompany our cuisine. We strive to be involved and give back to our community in any way shape or form and promise to deliver an experience desired time and time again.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
cafebar reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (55)great for outdoor dining (53)fit for foodies (51)great for brunch (28)romantic (21)good for groups (18)special occasion (17)hot spot (14)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Cafebar features a very imaginativeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/15/2012Cafebar features a very imaginative menu. Mac and cheese, venison, and exotic fish are all featured. The brussel sprout salad was especially innovative and delicious. Rather noisy and small, but the decor was upscale and inviting.Special Features:
- One of the best!cinzersVIPDined on 1/14/2012Everything was perfect. The food and service were outstanding. I surprised my husband with dinner on Saturday and as we were leaving he said..."that is my new favorite restaurant". I couldn't agree more.Special Features:
- Cafe Bar is on go-to spotHillaryVIPDined on 1/10/2012Cafe Bar is on go-to spot and I love it! So glad it's in my hood so I can take advantage of all their delish dishes and drinks. Plus the staff is so friendly and the scene is so approachable. Can't say enough good things about Cafe Bar! I want them to succeed...but I still want to get my local spot at the bar!Special Features:
- bottomless bloody mary's anddotsonmapsDined on 1/8/2012bottomless bloody mary's and delicious lobster benny! perfection.Special Features:
- First time dining at CafebarOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/7/2012First time dining at Cafebar and it was fantastic! I would highly recommend it. It is a great neighborhood place.Special Features:
- I always love Cafe Bar! TheHillaryVIPDined on 1/7/2012I always love Cafe Bar! The food, the staff, the ambience....I could go every day!Special Features:
- The scene was great at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/7/2012The scene was great at this restaurant. The small plates were tasty. We tasted the pierogis and the tray of homemade sausages. The Elk was the best. I order the pork tenderloin medallions. They were overcooked and as a result the dish was underwhelming. However, my dining companions enjoyed their large plates: the pasta, the flank steak special and the paella special. The flourless chocolate cake (the pistachio brittle seemed out of place) was a disappointment but, the apple tort was very tasty.Special Features:
- Some of the dishes workedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2012Some of the dishes worked better than others: the bison burger had so many toppings that the taste of the meat was hidden. The pierogies were dry, as was the savory bread pudding. However, the soups were excellent, particularly the asparagus. Wine list was satisfactory, with a nice, dry rose by the glass. Service was inexperienced, but earnest. The scene had a nice Saturday night vibe to it.Special Features:
- Great food with manageableOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/6/2012Great food with manageable serving sizes. The perogies was a great starter and the sausage stew went well with a glass of the plan b cab sab. The metal chairs were uncomfortable but great restaurant, we will be back.Special Features:
- nice neighborhood bar ambience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/6/2012nice neighborhood bar ambience. inventive food ideas; good energy in the room and a very congenial staffSpecial Features:
- Good, Not So Notable OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/30/2011Wonderful staff personalities and service, Very nice small wine list. Presentation of food first class. Food good, but not extraordinary. Noisy.
- Table for 4 of us was readytomwatVIPDined on 12/29/2011Table for 4 of us was ready for immediate seating, always a plus in our book. Outstanding waiter, timely service. Menu innovative and just enough choices, small plates as well as entrees. Excellent choices of single malt scotches, good wine list. A little on the noisy side, sit in front dining area away from bar and open kitchen. Will recommend and return for sure.Special Features:
- rookiesBrRoVIPDined on 12/27/2011tight fit, out of what we wanted to order, food to too long and was just okay...they have their work cut out for them
- Less than ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/10/2011While I love the location, decor and atmosphere at cafe bar, our appetizers were cold and bland, and our server was less than welcoming. This is my second visit. I am not sure if I will be back for a third.
- Portions were insultinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2011Portions were insultingly small for the price, service was very mediocre, management was weirdly stalking and watching tables making it uncomfortable to eat. I had heard from friends on Facebook the reviews were mixed. I know understand whySpecial Features:
- This is the best new cafejohanDined on 12/3/2011This is the best new cafe I've found. Interesting food that is prepared very well. Nice guys are running the place. We need to go back often to get through the whole menu that includes wild game.Special Features:
- Overall, Cafe/Bar was good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/25/2011Overall, Cafe/Bar was good, but the noise factor made it difficult to carry on a conversation at our table. The salads were excellent, but main courses not as good. I would go back for lunch, but I think for the younger generation it's a hot spot for the bar.Special Features:
- This was my second trip toNatalieBVIPDined on 11/20/2011This was my second trip to Cafebar and it was pretty much the same experience as the first. The place is very cute and the service is good. However, the food is very unpredictable. We had the lamb ribs appetizer and the tomato bisque for starters, neither of which had much flavor. My table tried the pork, pasta, and bison burgers entres. The pasta and pork were very good, as well as the bison burger, but the sweet potato fries that came with the burger were horrible....I could make better sweet potato fries if I bought a bag of them in the frozen section of safeway. SO....all in all...yet again...I give Cafebar 3 stars. I really want to like this place, but 2 strikes and you are out in my book.
- I had lunch there previouslyMottsDined on 11/20/2011I had lunch there previously and was impressed. Not so much with brunch - my choice was recommended by my waiter and it turned out to be not even what the menu described. He said there was some mix-up with the new and old menu (duh). He didn't seem too concerned that I was disappointed in my selection and they made no attempt to remove the item from the check! At least the others in my party were pleased with their order - not sure I will be back!Special Features:
- What a great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/20/2011What a great neighborhood find! We were not expecting such a pleasant upbeat environment with a truly interesting menu and great food. We'll be back!!Special Features:
- very disappointing. We askedKCTravelerVIPDined on 11/19/2011very disappointing. We asked to be seated at another table away from the door, and they said there were no other options even thought we made the reservation 3 weeks in advance.... It was about 20 degrees outside and we were 3 feet away from the door. Food was mediocre. Just another place to see and be scene.....too bad.Special Features:
- We have dined here 5+ timesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011We have dined here 5+ times and it gets better and better each time. Brunch is fabulous. The dinner menu is wonderful and full of delicious choices. The meat and cheese plate is great and their happy hour is a deal and delicious. The specials are always good. Great neighborhood place with great food, prices and service.Special Features:
- The food was great, and theJamesVIPDined on 11/19/2011The food was great, and the service was really on the point. Really good brunch experience.Special Features:
- I really want a fun neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2011I really want a fun neighborhood place to be able to stop in, but unfortunately, we were disappointed with our experience. We made a reservation but were seated right next to the front door! Not the ideal place for a cold evening on a special date night. Next, the waiter who came by said all beers from a particular brewer were on tap (menu read $4 per beer). He ordered a beer, but it was bottled and when the bill came they charged $6!. Finally, the place was too LOUD! I wasn't even able to have a conversation with my husband. The food was tasty and fresh, but I'm not anxious to go back especially on a Friday night.
- Had a delicious dinner onOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/18/2011Had a delicious dinner on a Friday night - needed a reservation! Our server was very helpful and attentive. The mussels in bourbon "starter" was great! Wine selection and entrees were also delicious. The braised brussel sprouts are also delish...Special Features:
- new kid on the block? DEF worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2011given that im not a food critic, this review can be taken for what it is: The ambiance & dining experience at CafeBar was wonderful!! Such a fun-vibey place!! Great for a 1st or 2nd date, or just a new place to try when looking for something different that your regular outing. Priced well (i think?:) b'days to be celebrated, toasting to a raise @ work, girlfriends catching up over latest work/boy drama, or colleagues for a dinner party. We went on a weeknight, so most parties there already knew eachother (couldnt say the bar crowd would be energetic or different on a Friday night...didnt strike us as a d.bag sports bar!:) Good place for enjoying company you're with, great ambiance & great staff & DELICIOUS Food!! overall?? A+ :)Special Features:
- we'll be backcinzersVIPDined on 11/12/2011We had a great time and enjoyed sharing a number of small plates and entres. The waitress took great care of us and was very frendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Great food, cool ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/12/2011Great food, cool ambiance! Would definitely return soon and often. We especially enjoyed having one of the owners (literally) sit down and talk to us about his new restaurant. A small piece of advice....take a careful look at the neighborhood street signs when street parking to avoid a ticket.Special Features:
- wouldn't rush back...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2011The restaurant was very busy and therefore, the service seemed very slow. Also, our waiter was nice but seemed somewhat uninformed as he was unaware of the fact that the pork tenderloins were supposed to be cooked medium rare. The manager (I assume that is who she was, she didn't introduce herself) offered to buy us a drink or dessert but we already had drinks and didn't want dessert. I felt it would have been appropriate for them to take a drink off the tab and I had to send the pork back to be cooked more. The appi's were ok although the meatballs were missing a sweet sauce and lacked much flavor.Special Features:
- CafeBar was amazing! I liveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2011CafeBar was amazing! I live close and have been hoping that something really great would go in that space. My wish was granted! This place had wonderful food, great wine, and friendly service. I had the brussel sprout salad, which has been on my mind ever since, and the hanger steak, which was a special for the evening and outstanding. Everything on the menu looked great and I can't wait to go back and try something new! So happy to have this gem within walking distance.Special Features:
- Delicious meal in a nicelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/10/2011Delicious meal in a nicely decorated space. We really enjoyed it. Prices are fair but one caution--Manhattan with straanahan (no Makers) rang up at $14.50. That struck me as a bit of a ripoff and won't happen again.
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2011CafeBar was a pleasant surprise. We ordered the whiskey cheddar meatballs for an appetizer and the gnocci and the pumpkin mac and cheese for entrees. I would catagorize this small unassuming restaurant with the likes of Potager. Overall, everything was very good. I will be going back.Special Features:
- While the food we did receiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2011While the food we did receive was great, the wait for everything from coffee to entrees was extraordinary! While they were at capacity, I feel a restaurant should be staffed/equipped appropriately to handle the crowd. In addition the noise level was very loud - made it hard for our group of 6 to actually catch up as I couldn't hear the other side of the table. I have had a better dinner experience, hopfully they can improve.Special Features:
- Beautiful space with wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2011Beautiful space with wonderful food! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- My husband and I went FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/4/2011My husband and I went Friday evening...it is only a few blocks from our house, but well worth a drive if you don't live near by. Excellent menu. Creative and fresh. The Brussels sprout salad was AWESOME!!!! I will order that again. Also enjoyed the cheddar meat balls/ app. My husband had one of the specials/ stuffed shells with crab meat...very good! The brunch menu looked great, we will try that next.Special Features:
- Very pleasant experience as2fordinnerDined on 10/30/2011Very pleasant experience as a convenient late-nite venue following a Sun nite movie at the Mayan. Menu selections were quite interesting as well as tasty, so there was a good deal of "comfort" w/ things like the oyster, and the meatball app's, & the pasta special (burger was very "yum", though the grilled scallions are kinda challenging, since they don't tear easily w/ each burger bite). Some really wonderful and creative cocktail specials to sample (NOT just "foo-foo" drinks, either). Very personable staff, too, even at the later 9:30+ hour, and on a nite when we ended up being their last/only resevation. No push to move us along in a hurried fashion. A worthy/valued addition to any neighborhood. We'll certainly revist!Special Features:
- Had a great birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2011Had a great birthday celebration with 5 adults and 3 kids (6 and under). The owner whipped up 3 chalk boards for the kids while we were there. They had a great time. We all loved our meals. Thanks for a Great night!Special Features:
- I really like CafeBar andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2011I really like CafeBar and am looking forward to them working through their growing pains. The service is friendly and attentive, sometimes overly so. The menu has a great selection and a nice diversity focusing on seasonal ingredients. My biggest issue with CafeBar is the noise. This space is incredibly loud. Again, I am really happy to have this wonderful restaurant in my neighborhood.Special Features:
- Way too noisy, but more important,FredLVIPDined on 10/22/2011Way too noisy, but more important, the food was hit or miss. Some dishes very good while others not very tasty. Kind of a work in progress and I'd wait a while before trying again.
- Our evening at Cafebar startedNatalieBVIPDined on 10/22/2011Our evening at Cafebar started with being seated outside on the patio in late October even though we had a reservation. The inside was packed, so we figured we would have to wait if we requested an inside table. So, we spent the entire evening freezing and inching our table closer to the heater. Unfortunately, I think the fact that I was so cold influenced my opinion of this restaurant. Overall, the food was good, but not great. We had the meatball and oyster fritter apps, both were OK. However, our entrees were much better. I had the steak salad, which was probably the best steak salad I have ever had and I also tried the pumpkin gnocchi, which was amazing too. We might have stayed for dessert but we were just too cold.Special Features: