Das Ethiopian - Georgetown
1201 28th Street NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
Das Ethiopian - Georgetown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dasethiopian.com/
- Phone: 2023334710
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Ethiopian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Celebrated for serving some of the best Ethiopian dishes available, the award winning restaurant continually delivers the freshest fare, while using local and sustainable food sources.
- Private Party Contact: Private Dining Contact 2023334710
A word from Das Ethiopian - Georgetown
DAS Ethiopian offers you a cozy two story setting, with rare outside dining views and al fresco patio dining in season. DAS is located at the eclectically brilliant historic corner of the internationally renowned shopping district of Georgetown. A tent under which all come to feast is the very Amharic definition of DAS, and that is what you will enjoy here. From neighborhood diners, nearby students, journalists, to international visitors and performers, all enjoy the casual but refined atmosphere that serves up the freshest Ethiopian dishes from local and sustainable food sources. Let us know of your dining plans now so we may accommodate any extra needs or private dining desires you may have. We look forward to serving you again and again!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Das Ethiopian - Georgetown reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (31)great for outdoor dining (29)romantic (26)special occasion (17)good for groups (14)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)scenic view (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Ethiopian food is hard toSeasonedEaterDined on 4/20/2012Ethiopian food is hard to come by in most places and is worth trying. You eat with your hands by pulling off pieces of a special bread they use (the recipes I found on line all take 2 days to make), which is fun. This place may or may not have the best Ethiopian food -- I wouldn't know since I haven't tried others -- but it is good and the ambience was calm and pleasing,Special Features:
- Ok, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2012Even though the food wasn't bad, the meats were flavorful etc, it really wasn't my style. That said, I really didn't like the fact that the boiled egg was from yesterday...Special Features:
- wonderful food, nice decor.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2012wonderful food, nice decor. highly recommend. great for vegans and omnivores alike.
- Really fun and very nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2012Really fun and very nice and attentive service. Unique experience, especially if you've never had ethiopian before; quite the adventure to eat with your hands!Special Features:
- Great experience. Food wasMortVIPDined on 4/19/2012Great experience. Food was fresh and flavorful. Staff very professionalSpecial Features:
- Staff was very helpful withOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/16/2012Staff was very helpful with suggestions for our dinner. Our selections were very tasty. Outdoor dining was a bit intense as it was close to traffic so I wouldn't do that again.Special Features:
- 4/13/2012 DAS will be onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/20124/13/2012 DAS will be on our repeat visit list when we are next in Georgetown. It is a haven of well spiced and interesting food, good service, and pleasant surroundings.Special Features:
- Food was good. It was spicy,NeilGDined on 4/13/2012Food was good. It was spicy, as I like it.portions were medium, which is also a positive. Our first time at an Ethiopian restaurant and weren't prepared for eating with hands, but they brought a fork upon request, which helped a lot. The service was terrific. We would go a fain.
- The food was great and theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2012The food was great and the service was excellent! Our server was happy to help us figure out what to order and how to eat and everyone was super friendly.Special Features:
- Quite TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2012This was our family's first time trying Ethiopian food, and we were all very happy with our experience. The food was very tasty and I would definitely recommend this style and this restaurant to people.Special Features:
- Excellent food, was my firstOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2012Excellent food, was my first Ethiopian experience, and it was a very good one!Special Features:
- Nothing to complain of. NothingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2012Nothing to complain of. Nothing to be amazed by. Fair.Special Features:
- Too salty for me!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/4/2012The food at this establishment was way too salty for my palate. Perhaps Ethiopian food is that salty and I was not used to it but the salt overpowered the (possible) freshness of the ingredients. Furthermore, the injera was cold and rolled into towels. It seems like it was stored in the refrigerator for a long time (and hence made ahead of time). Service was also not too friendly.
- The place us very pleasant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2012The place us very pleasant. The food is really exotic.Special Features:
- Never had Ethiopian food beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2012Never had Ethiopian food before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Restaurant is small but comfortable and many families were there (imagine a restaurant where the kids are allowed to eat w/their hands!!!!). Waiters were very helpful and attentive. They also have seating upstairs for larger parties. Definitely make reservations. I'd recommend it to friends - food is very tasty on spicy side (which I think is delicious), but they will tame the spice if asked.Special Features:
- It's a decent restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/18/2012It's a decent restaurant, but there lots of other places in DC that serve better Ethiopian food.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2012Had dinner here while celebrating a special occasion, and was not disappointed. The staff was warm and friendly, and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Steven BarnardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/7/2012I deployed to Ethiopia with a US Army Civil Affairs team in 2010. This place brought back pleasant memories of the people and culture. The food was outstanding!Special Features:
- This was our first time diningfoodluvrDined on 2/4/2012This was our first time dining at Das Ethopian. The service received was very good, attentive, and knowledgable of the food selections on the menu. This was very helpful. The staff was patient with us and answered all our questions. The server even helped us celebrate our daughter's birthday. while, at least for me, the food was good and presentation was good, I am not certain that I would return on a regular basis,as it must be an acquired taste.Special Features:
- Was almost empty when we went..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2012Was almost empty when we went.. didnt feel lively at all.Special Features:
- My fiance and I attended thisblairDined on 1/25/2012My fiance and I attended this place on a weeknight and the crowd was low, the services was very good, and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- The food and the service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/20/2012The food and the service were excellent. A great place to experience new things if you have never tried Ethiopian.Special Features:
- Interesting food well presentedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/13/2012Interesting food well presented and delivered with friendly service.
- Wonderful ambience. FoodTeutssVIPDined on 1/13/2012Wonderful ambience. Food is spicy - even what they call mild is still spicy hotSpecial Features:
- Great visit with wonderfuljohnDined on 1/7/2012Great visit with wonderful service and very good food. Try the Ethiopian beer - really different than the usual and perfect for pairing with the food!! I can't wait to visit again!Special Features:
- will be returningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/30/2011We were very happy with our first experience here. Both of us love Ethiopian and this place delivered. We ordered the chicken and beef combo, along with the vegetarian entree combo so we could get a good taste of the menu (do this!). It arrived on a bed of flat bread in a large platter - keep in mind, that with traditional Ethiopian, you use the bread as the utensil (although forks and knives are provided, everyone around you will be eating with their hands). Also try the Ethiopian dessert wine, it was excellent. Only complaint could be that the dining room is a bit cramped, but I think a window seat might provide a bit more space. The waitress was incredibly attentive, and the final result is that we will be returning.Special Features:
- A very different but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/18/2011A very different but delicious dining experience! One of the restaurants of lore where you eat off a communal platter with your hands (so the more people you have, the more dishes you can try!). Friendly staff; atmosphere good for a quiet (and quite personal) date or anniversary; lot's of vegetarian options and a dessert menu to please anyone.Special Features:
- Not Zed's in food or Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/17/2011I went their hoping for "Zed's" and got diaappointed. Not that it was bad or anything as a whole. Portions to price were not even close! Food was expensive for small portions. Most of all it is trying to be a high end place to eat. Zed's was not all that fancy on the inside but the service was great and it was always full and friendly. Zed's had a home type feel that Das now lacks. DAS had become medical in ececution. I think that people who try this place without knowing Zed's will be happier then people like me who remeber a different and better time. Now the food was good and nothing but portions their is my issue. Service went down from what Zed's had. People at DAS seemed to feel that you are blessed to be eating here.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011Das Ethiopian has great food and service in a perfect location with an intimate atmosphere.Special Features:
- It was pouring outside andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2011It was pouring outside and cold. Looking out over the street with the christmas decorations was magical. Staff very helpful food very good the app. mushrooms & vegatables was outstanding. The grandma cake or pie shouldn't be missed.
- I can't speak about the barClearSkiesDined on 12/4/2011I can't speak about the bar scene or the wine list but I imagine the bar attracts more customers later in the day. We enjoyed an Ethiopian beer with our meal as well as the sparkling water. The food was excellent and the service was superb. I would highly recommend Das Ethiopian to others seeking a quietly assured and elegant spot to eat in Georgetown.Special Features:
- Service was great, tableclothsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/2/2011Service was great, tablecloths white, food very good. We had a wonderful time in a quaint space.Special Features:
- Sadly, there are many EthiopianDiningindcDined on 12/2/2011Sadly, there are many Ethiopian restaurants in the area whose menu, food, and service are far better. The food was bland when compared to others, the prices were far too high, and the menu selection was very limited. Our server (who was friendly, but inattentive--we were the only party there, and she still hid behind the bar) also tried to tell us that they could not accept a coupon 'deal' because of a stipulation that was nowhere to be found on the deal itself. It just seemed very shady. Bottom line: Won't go back. There are better options.
- Couldn't talk ... the noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/1/2011Couldn't talk ... the noise around us was deafening! Would only go back in hot weather and sit outside.
- Das offered a very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2011Das offered a very pleasant dining experience with good service, great food, and excellent ambiance. We had to wait a little longer than expected, even though we had reservations. The proprietor was very apologetic and gave us a complementary glass of Ethiopian wine for our inconvenience.Special Features:
- If you are looking for a uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2011If you are looking for a unique dining experience, and you enjoy food with a kick, I would recommend Das Ethiopian. The food was not pretty to look at, but very tasty. Be prepared to get a little messy, as everything is eaten with your hands. The staff was kind, but not very helpful in our understanding the dishes.
- We have been going to thisSlugVIPDined on 10/31/2011We have been going to this restaurant for years (previously Zed's). It continues to maintain the same quality of food, service and ambiance. We especially appreciate the staff who are most friendly and provide outstanding service.Special Features:
- Even though the name and probablyWaldVIPDined on 10/31/2011Even though the name and probably ownership of the restaurqnt has changed(used to be Zed's), the cook and wait staff are the same. We went with a group, so ordered a wided variety of dishes. Food is still tasty, wait staff friendly and efficient. A very enjoyable evening.
- This was our first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2011This was our first experience eating Ethiopian food. We met another couple and split the meat for two and the vegetables for two. The food came on one big platter for all of us to share. You use your hands and the bread they serve to eat the food. It was strange at first, but once we all started digging in, it became more normal. It was alot of food, and if I had to do it again, I would just get myself a meal, it was almost too many different things on the platter. That being said, the food was very well flavored with a variety of spicing from la little to super hot. The staff and service was wonderful as well as the ambiance of the dining area.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, not to be missed!!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/29/2011Such fantastic and tasty food, this place should not be missed. I went in 2000/2001 and it was fantastic and just went last weekend. Sad that we do not have such good Ethiopian food in NY. I highly recommend Das Ethiopian!!Special Features: