Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal
1155 California Dr.
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themokutanya.com/
- Phone: 6503489388
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room hosts 8 small sunken dining tables.
- Private Party Contact: May Chan 6503489388
A word from Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal
Experience Japanese charcoal-grilled skewers, small plates, wine and beer in individual glass-divided rooms with sunken Japanese tables. We strive to source our ingredients locally.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal - Best Restaurants in Burlingame ›
Mokutanya Yakitori Charcoal reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)special occasion (24)late-night find (22)romantic (21)good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (8)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Nice surpriseFishkyDined on 1/26/2013Nice decor arrangement of restaurant, some items can be salty for my palette, Did not care for dressing on complimentary cabbage salad a good japanese mayo or ponzu would be better. Thus not a good prelude to the meal. Would definately reccomend to try Mokutanya .Great place to go for a drink, chat and nibbles.Special Features:
- Great Place for Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/11/2013Great place for a group lunch. Excellent service and hospitality. So far, I've been there a few times for lunch and with each time, I come away satisfied.Special Features:
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/31/2012Receptionists were friendly. However, very poor servers. Ordered 2 teas and 2 waters, and got 4 waters instead. Servers do not know what they are serving as they were unable to identify the food brought to the table when I asked. Also wrong item was served and we were charged for it. Sorry I will not return.
- Been to Mokutanya severalOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/30/2012Been to Mokutanya several times, all special occasions. It's just a great place to dine =)Special Features:
- Food was decent and it boastsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/25/2012Food was decent and it boasts an interesting layout. Unfortunately, the service was disorganized and extremely slow. I should read the reviews on yelp before booking. While the hostess was bubbly, the waiters were robotic. More importantly, the service is poorly managed. They got our order wrong six times. Of our two hour dining experience, 80% of the order came out in the last 20min. That's just odd and unacceptable. The place has a lot of potential, but we won't be going back.
- The layout of this place wasAnonymousVIPDined on 12/25/2012The layout of this place was very nice and ambiant. I have two major complaints. 1. Service was slow. They meant well, but the flow of things coming in and out was not efficient and they would forget things like water and tea. 2. The yakitori was good, but the goma ae did not seem like the authentic preparation and also the ramen was way over-spiced. None of the people in my party could really finish their noodles because of this. Overall, this is an interesting find in the neighborhood that it is located in and waitstaff was nice.Special Features:
- Awesome that it was open superOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Awesome that it was open super late, even on X-mas eve. Service was great. Loved the booths, my date moved from sitting across from me to sitting next to me, halfway through! But over half the stuff we ordered was out. We never got the edamame we asked for. But it's one of the only places taking reservations past 10pm, so .....?
- What a randomly awesome find!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/24/2012What a randomly awesome find! I was looking for a place to go on Christmas Eve and found Mokutanya on OpenTable. It's in a strip mall away from all the glitz of Burlingame Ave, but it's got an upscale and unique feel. Even my hard-to-please father was impressed. The ambience is great (each table is surrounded by glass so you have your own private and quiet "room"). The service was very friendly. The food was delicious. And the final price wasn't bad for the amount of food we ordered. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- We have been here severalOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/9/2012We have been here several times now and the experience is consistenly excellent. The food is delicious and the service is great. The place has modern decor and is a great spot for date night or with a group of friends. We've even brought our 6-year old son and he loves it. The tables are partitioned by large glass walls, so the noise level is kept to a minimum. The menu has a great selection.Special Features:
- In love with the ambience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012In love with the ambience. Will come back again and again just for the setting! Friendly service and good enough food are just pluses.Special Features:
- Mokutanya Me!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/3/2012Very good place! Just make sure you are not in a rush, food takes time to prepare, not too long but not too quick. Also, make sure to Check-In via FB for free drinks!Special Features:
- We loved it and will definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/3/2012We loved it and will definitely go back again. The food is delicious and lots of variety. Loved the interior very intimate.Special Features:
- Love the food, love the people.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/27/2012Love the food, love the people. Great sake selection too!
- Great place for Japanese tapas.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/1/2012Great place for Japanese tapas. I love their table setup and although ambiance is dark...completey unassuming from the outside.Special Features:
- Saturday LunchJohnDoughVIPDined on 9/29/2012Varied and exotic but limited selection. Super friendly hostess. Not a single other party in the entire place the whole time we were there and only one American style table with chairs. (Everything else was a super thin chair pad directly on the floor under a legless 'table' that seemed to be only 8-10" off the floor.) Food and drinks tasted good and fresh and the menu likely has something for everyone.
- overall everything is good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2012overall everything is good, but price is too high. otherwise, I will come here more often.Special Features:
- Happy Taste Buds :)OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2012I loved the nouveau chic feeling of Mokutanya. The restaurant was adorned with the beautiful black wooden tables that were made into semi private rooms by the glass walls that surrounded the tables. Very cool! The food was fantastic, very reminiscent of yakitori restaurants in Japan. If you are into beef, I highly recommend the wagu beef, so delicious! If you are not a meat-eater, then you can try the deep fried baby octopus, divine. Further I also recommend the chicken hearts, chicken meatballs topped with spicy sauce, as well as the ramen noodles. In summary if you like excellent tasting yakitori, then you must try Mokutanaya Yakitori restaurant.Special Features:
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012Staff is excellent and friendly. Food was good, but we asked that they bring them out slowing, and we ordered about 8 dishes at first and they all came out at once. No big problem, I should of just ordered as we went.Special Features:
- Can't miss destination for fun foodMelloBVIPDined on 9/17/2012Convivial dining option - great for a full meal or drinks. Quiet on a Monday night, but always a fun destination!Special Features:
- Really fun environment forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2012Really fun environment for the adventuresome diner!Special Features:
- Try it - you'll be back as I will!MelloBVIPDined on 8/15/2012Fabulous service, fun food, excellent saki selection - worth a visit (and then another)!Special Features:
- Yums.cruisermaxVIPDined on 8/14/2012Always a favorite. Cozy glass booths, dark private atmosphere, wonderful Hostess (May), and generally friendly waitresses. They have exotic meat nights mid-week if you're daring. Ramen here is to die for, forget about all those 2 hour lines at specialty ramen houses.Special Features:
- great food. good sake selection.OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/10/2012great food. good sake selection. small plate portion lets you try a bunch of different foodSpecial Features:
- Traditional yakitory, contemporaryberiozzaVIPDined on 8/8/2012Traditional yakitory, contemporary fusion twists with exotic meats in combination with a great sake list, sleek interior design of the place and immaculate service provide an unbeatable tasting experience and lasting pleasure from 11 am to 2 am. I love this restaurant and all the friends i brought there fell in love with it too.Special Features:
- Unique & Memorable ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/27/2012We had a unique and memorable dining experience at Mokutaya. At first when we pulled up to the restaurant we were worried. The restaurant is located in a strip mall and doesn't look very appealing from the outside. All that changes when you step inside. The ambiance is dark and romantic, contemporary and tranquil. Almost every table was full. The hostess was amazing. She sat us at our Japanese style table and gave us some great advice about what and how to order since it was our first time. Highly recommend the baby octopus appetizer and Yakitori: black cod, mackerel, lamb, spicy beef, yuzu glaze chicken, shiitake mushrooms, chili peppers. We finished with Tonkotsu ramen soup. Wine list was short, but we enjoyed the merlot.Special Features:
- Food here is very good. TheyEaterVIPDined on 7/20/2012Food here is very good. They do everything from ramen, bento boxes ( waguyu beef bento box is very good ), and yakitori. Very nice menu in that there really is quite a variety. Only complaint I have is that a little pricey for what you are getting.......Special Features:
- Good food and atmosphere at a priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2012Good food and a nice atmosphere. Our waitress was excellent, and we enjoyed the variety of dishes and cozy ambiance. The negatives were that the portion sizes are very small and the prices quite expensive. The food also takes awhile to arrive, so not a good place if you're in a hurry. It was very dark in there which I suppose can be a good thing, but not when it's full daylight outside.Special Features:
- Went here for lunch. RamenOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/12/2012Went here for lunch. Ramen is decent and chicken karage is excellent. Service is a little slow but friendly. Nice decor! Quiet during lunch time, but maybe more busy at night? Will come back to try the yakitori and the rest of their unique menu.Special Features:
- It's wonderful to find a restaurantdvnoneVIPDined on 7/2/2012It's wonderful to find a restaurant in Burlingame that is open until 2:00 AM!!! The glass walls provide privacy to talk.Special Features:
- The food, the service, andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2012The food, the service, and the ambience is great. Mokutanya has a very romantic laid-back vibe and the hostess and all the servers are so friendly and happy and they always have a smile on their face. Mondays/Tuesdays their oysters are only $1 each starting at 6pm and on Wed/Thurs they serve exotic meats (kangaroo,alligator, etc) which I think is very unique of them. The only reason why I took off a star from my overall rating is because there was a bit of confusion going on with our order. Maybe if a new type of ordering system is implemented instead of the paper/pencil one, Mokutanya will be an even more awesome place!Special Features:
- my fave was the gindara kasuzukeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/26/2012my fave was the gindara kasuzuke (grilled black cod), $1 oysters were delish, kid friendly because they serve ramen and the cool and chic ambiance was a treat and unexpected in burlingame. totally recommend this place and we will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and privateBeanieManVIPDined on 6/11/2012Great atmosphere and private feel. Food was excellent too. Try the waygu beef, pork belly, and spicy sausage. Great sake list. Very close to the airport for those killing time before a flight.Special Features:
- Overall a good spot to hangOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/26/2012Overall a good spot to hang out. One thing to note, some items are not very fairly priced. The yakiniku (eggplant) for example. $8 and you get 3 tiny pieces of eggplant, that's it. Yes, pretty shocking...Special Features:
- This place always missed upOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/23/2012This place always missed up my bills!!!!! 3 out of 3! The food is nice though! Great place but need to change better chasier and service should be more efficiency. They were sweet waitress but didn't quite know what they were doing.
- One of our favorite spots.cruisermaxVIPDined on 5/15/2012One of our favorite spots. The ramen is excellent. Exotic meat nights are fun. Wish they had one of these in the city! Remember to wear shoes that are easy to take off. Only complaint is that there seems to be frequent mistakes on the order, but they always take care of it.Special Features:
- Great yakitori placeEleanorVIPDined on 5/15/2012This place is great as usual. Service was great! The cold noodle and yakitori were super yumm!! However I would want their buy two get one free sake deal to resume! It would be perfect for my dining dining experience! :)Special Features:
- They have a great selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 5/9/2012They have a great selection of Yakitori and Kushiyaki -- barbequed Japanese skewers of meats and/or vegetables -- which is rare in the Bay Area.
- The wagyu beefs r soooo gd.mmdmDined on 5/8/2012The wagyu beefs r soooo gd. So as the grilled Saba n sea bass. The fried rice balls r soo yumyum. The ramen was okai, little bit salty when we had it. Overall great service n food.Special Features:
- The restaurant is nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2012The restaurant is nice and atmosphere is romantic. The food is average because all i can taste is the flame. For example, the taste of the oily flame took over the taste of the waygu beef. The service is great, but the seatings are too low and the barefoot service plus the placing of the food on the floor before serving it onto the table ruined my appetite.Special Features:
- Don't let the location fool youOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/4/2012We had a very pleasant dining experience at Mokutanya. The food was terrific, the service was outstanding and the decor is very contemporary. Suitable for a date-night and yet, there were children as well. There are glass partitions between all the tables, so it feels very private. I love all the yakitori choices. Order 1 skewer and if you like it, order more (they come out very fast); if you didn't like it, you only spent $3.Special Features: