The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
2741 West 4 Ave
Vancouver, BC V6K 1P9Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theoakwood.ca/
- Phone: 6045581965x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Late
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:45pm (first come seating policy for brunch)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Canadian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Robbins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro, a casual neighbourhood room specializing in down-to-earth Canadian fare. The Oakwood Canadian Bistro's food philosophy is focused on fresh, house-made dishes crafted from locally sourced products. The seasonally changing menu caters to market availability and the sustainability of the products. All meats are organic, local and free of hormones and antibiotics, while the seafood is sustainable, seasonal and Ocean Wise certified. From the breads and pastas to the butchery and sauces, all products are made in-house with quality and consistency.The Oakwood Canadian Bistro serves fresh, honest food in a casual neighbourhood environment. This modest Kitsilano room encourages diners to gather around the central communal table with old and new friends, sip wine and BC craft beers or one of their classic cocktails and linger over one of Chef Michael Robbins' seasonally driven dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)neighborhood gem (83)special occasion (55)good for groups (47)hot spot (41)romantic (40)great for brunch (25)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (17)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Definitely great for sharingGloriaDined on 3/20/2014All the dishes were cooked perfectly. If you really intend to share all dishes, it will be perfect as a multi course dinner. Don't let the small plates fool you because after seven plates of just one or two bites, you'll be full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extremely great all roundLorieDined on 3/16/2014couldn't dream up a complaint on anything and looking forward to going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in kitsilanoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014I am surprised i didnt find this place sooner. Great food and ambiance are hard to come by n the same place in kits. I live on vine and cornwall but this is definitely my favourite place in the hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing your food just got betterFoodlover12Dined on 3/14/2014Ok so truth be told.. I only went to this place because I watch Top Chef Canada and I felt Mike got robbed. I figured he needed a second chance so I went with two friends and let me tell you... It did not disappoint! The food was really great. Yes they were smaller dishes, but they are meant to be shared plates so get the memo and SHARE them people! :) Each plate we tried seemed to get better and better. Poutine with brisket on top- FRICKEN heavenly. The only thing I didn't really love was our server but the two runners who dropped off our food were very articulate in describing the dishes and nice. I also thought the music got a little loud around ten but that's on because we wanted to still talk about the food :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blew my mindHungryLittleBirdDined on 3/12/2014The food was out of this world, many glutard-friendly options which impressed me as someone with Celiac's. Great ambience, could be a bit loud for elderly people or people who struggle with hearing, as it's quite the vibrant spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/11/2014Great attention to detail on both the food and cocktails. This is a "sharing menu". Worked well for our party of 7.Special Features:
- Not for sharingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2014Although the waitress insisted that most of the orders were designed to share, the tiny portions and the bad timing with the food made dinner pretty unpleasant. Taste was ok but unless you order a burger you will have to go for dinner afterwards. Atmosphere was good to grab a bite though.
- Loud but a great experienceDonelloDined on 3/1/2014Food sharing was fun, food was excellent, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before a concert hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014Although our cocktails took a little while to come, they were very good. The food was well executed and tasty and the waitress was efficient and friendly. We were going to a concert up at UBC so we were watching the time but everything went very smoothly. Good quality and a pleasant meal by the fire place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative and excellent menujvf41VIPDined on 2/21/2014This place is to die for, the food is creative, innovative and fabulous, we loved it. The warm kale salad was about the best veggy dish I have ever eaten. Great environment and the wait staff are friendly and they know the food very well, all in all a great dinning experience....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I miss your burger alreadyLisaDined on 2/19/2014Wow the food was good! We had the warm Kale Salad, the fish/pork dish, and the burger. We came out to the Oakwood because we hears that the burger was going to be taken off them menu. So glad we came. We'll be making the Oakwood a regular place now. Everything about it was perfect for our date night!Special Features:
- consistently amazing foodkristinDined on 2/18/2014every time i go to the oakwood i'm amazed by the food. everything on the menu is great. the warm kale salad in particular is drool worthy - i dream about it between visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!!!FoodiefriendDined on 2/15/2014I came with a rather large group and they were so accommodating! The restaurant was perfect for a special occasion without being so quiet an formal. Food was delicious and a great price!Special Features:
- Valentine's Day Tasting Menu 2014TheBee0325Dined on 2/14/2014Overall this location was nice, although parking was hard to find. Service was not bad, but wasn't outstanding. Food was played beautifully, although I did receive a very sandy oyster which also had shell bits.Special Features:
- The Oakwood is AWESOME!JamieCDined on 2/13/2014Great Canadian comfort food and service. Cozy but cool interior. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste sensationMaryVIPDined on 2/5/2014Pleasantly surprised by this neigborhood restaurant. I like their philosophy of tapas-like sharing, where they bring things out one at a time and you share. We particularly liked the warm kale salad and the steak. We were so full by the end of our dinner that we didn't try any of the desserts - will definitely come back and do that another time. I also like that it's a menu that is full of stuff you'd not be able to do at home! Not a place to take a picky kid, that's for sure. Our server was wonderful and we felt very well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too TrendyKasandalsDined on 2/4/2014The food was not remarkable, music was so loud we could barely hear ourselves talk. We both left hungry. There wasn't even enough bread to fill up on. I wouldn't return or recommend it.
- DineOut ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2014Out of the three dine-outs this year, this is the by far the best one. The three course meal was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/2/2014from start to finish. i expected the restaurant to be really very good as i'd been there before for a work related special dinner. oakwood exceeded my expectation. can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great !!!TeddyDined on 2/2/2014Server provided nice service. Food let me feel surprising. for example: main course Pork chop was very juicy, Dessert is suitable not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first impression via Dine OutAnthonyVIPDined on 2/1/2014We like to try out new restaurants every year at Dine Out because we find this event really showcases a restaurant's strengths or reveals its weaknesses. We're happy to say the Oakwood revealed a gem that we might have otherwise passed up. We noticed The Oakwood rated very favourably on other review sites so we thought Dine Out was a perfect opportunity try it. The drinks came quickly and the cocktails were prepared very well. The seafood chowder was one of the best I have ever had. The Waldorf salad was very tasty. The main dishes were equally as good. My porchetta was excellent and wife's pork belly spaghetti was delicious. Overall, we felt the food was fantastic! This will definitely be a place that we go back to again! What a find!Special Features:
- Excellent foodPugLifeConfessionDined on 1/30/2014I've been to Oakwood several times for dinner and they never fail my taste palette. Their food is creative and is outstanding. Probably the only few places I would order food off the menu without caring too much about the price cause it is so worth it. Great service and a very cozy restaurant. Too bad they don't open for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great but weOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/28/2014The food was great but we were extremely rushed. as soon as we sat down the hostess told us we only had an hour and 15 minutes so we were constantly checking the time and the bill came right away, and the hostess and waitress hovered until we paid.Special Features:
- Excellent experience!FaydayDined on 1/26/2014We loved the dineout menu; selection and service were top notch! Would definitely go back to try their regular menu and enjoy the seasonal creations again.Special Features:
- Great decor, even greater foodKayakingDined on 1/25/2014We've come here several times on the weekend for brunch, (which we love!), but never for dinner. We thought Dine Out Vancouver was a good opportunity to try it out. I really enjoyed the pork belly spaghetti entree and creme caramel dessert. We really like the atmosphere and decor of the restaurant, very woodsy and cabin like but with a modern twist!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great experience!DOV2014Dined on 1/24/2014This was my first time dining at Oakwood Canadian Bistro and exceeded my expectations. The food was amazing! We dined during the Dine Out Vancouver event and had the seafood chowder to start (a bit too filling as a starter), then had the sablefish which I loved and finished off with the maple crème caramel dessert - delicious! The lavender slow cocktail beverage was different and yummy too. Everything was amazing and I look forward to many more dining experiences at Oakwood!Special Features:
- Fantastic Dine Out mealCarolinaSDined on 1/23/2014I've been wanting to try out Oakwood, and Dine Out was the perfect opportunity. The cocktails were spectacular, and the meal was delicious. I ate every last bite. The servers - even though very busy - were friendly and made good recommendations. Our server also pointed out that though the Dine Out menu was heavily skewed to pork, their regular menu is also very good and offers many other items. Also, he recommended their poutine and it was divine! This place is NOT for vegetarians as far as I could see from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- makes vancouver proud.enviromodernistDined on 1/23/2014the oakwood has it all - food that is delicious on one level, experimental on another but always well-crafted and beautifully represented. also, although i didn't try a drink this time, their cocktail menu is full of interesting concoctions. The decor is warmly Canadian and forward thinking. and to match, service is excellent. highly recommended for almost any occasion, especially out-of-town visitors who you'd like to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb service!SajikoDined on 1/23/2014Delicious food, fantastic service! I will definitely be going back! .......and I could eat their pontine everydaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/23/2014Excellent food and service. I`m going back and taking more friends. I can`t wait to taste what else they have to offer. The seafood chowder was divine. Really knowledgable staff. Loved the bar and the cosy atmosphere. Won`t dissapoint. Great price point too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down and Out after Dine OutmdmdDined on 1/22/2014My wife and I went to our favourite place not realizing it was Dine Out. This meant the usual menu was not available. No warm kale salad, but the Dine Out options sounded OK. Unfortunately, I chose the roast porchetta as my entreé. I was presented with a huge piece of pork that initially looked like a very generous portion but it was almost all fat. I found a small square that was edible but left the rest on my plate. The server didn't seem to notice. I asked at the end of our meal if it was supposed to be that fatty and was told that it was a roast and you get whatever piece is sliced which varies. My slice should never have made it out of the kitchen and I told her it was inedible. I paid full price and left hungry and disappointed.Special Features:
- We were really looking forwardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2014We were really looking forward to eating here as a number of friends has recommended it. It was very meat oriented although that might have been because there was a special menu being run for a short period: vegetables were mostly pureed as a flourish rather than as a complement to the meat. The music and ambiance were great.Special Features:
- Food was fine, service was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2014The atmosphere is really great and the service was really good too. The food was also good, but not extraordinary. The dessert was amazing though!Special Features:
- Fantastic!NickyDined on 1/18/2014Dine out did what they set out to do! I had not heard of or been to The Oakwood Canadian until I saw it as a dine out restaurant. It is now my new favourite place. The food was outstanding and the staff friendly and professional. I highly recommend visiting the Oakwood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork on ur fork!LafferDined on 1/18/2014We went in for Dine Out Vancouver and it was great food at a great value. We let our server know that we were going to a show and had limited time, she was able to accommodate us swiftly. The chowder was rich and tasty, and we both had the Sablefish, which came on a bed of pork, lentils and kale, very tasty! I definitely want to go back and try their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressedYummyVIPDined on 1/17/2014First visit during Dine Out. Very impressed with food. Creative, delicious, beautifully presented. Will definitely return soon and will recommend to all our friends.Special Features:
- Put some pork, on your fork!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/15/2014We are so glad we finally got to try The Oakwood out. Worth going to! I had the prochetta with extra crackling and I was in pork heaven. Perfectly moist pork and light airy crackling. What more could a girl ask for?! We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- great food, great companyyumyum888Dined on 1/10/2014What a lovely experience. The food was phenomenal and having it come out when it's ready left for a nicely spaced meal and leaving feeling completely comfortable, not in the least bloated nor hungry. Completely satisfied. I was with close friends so it was great to share our plates as the menu is intended and take the opportunity to try more flavours. And WOW... those flavours. So distinct and delicious. Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:
- Great restaurant!! I've broughtBcfoodieDined on 1/10/2014Great restaurant!! I've brought many different types of groups there; my boss, my coworkers, my friends and my parents and it is always a huge hit! Wonderful food, awesome music (but not to loud) and beautiful decor. It's a must if you're on Vancouver, one of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK food not outstandingJanBDined on 1/7/2014The food was good but not outstanding. The space is well designed, the service outstanding best in the city! An OK place for a drink and appetizers with friends. The burger was pretty expensive for just a burger and nothing else with it, but the Kale salad was a great deal and really tasted good. The beet salad was good and the Cornish Hen. I was surprised as the place got such rave reviews as it was good but not exceptional. I am not sure I would eat there again.Special Features: