The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
2741 West 4 Ave
Vancouver, BC V6K 1P9Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theoakwood.ca/
- Phone: 6045581965x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Late
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:45pm (first come seating policy for brunch)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Canadian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Robbins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro, a casual neighbourhood room specializing in down-to-earth Canadian fare. The Oakwood Canadian Bistro's food philosophy is focused on fresh, house-made dishes crafted from locally sourced products. The seasonally changing menu caters to market availability and the sustainability of the products. All meats are organic, local and free of hormones and antibiotics, while the seafood is sustainable, seasonal and Ocean Wise certified. From the breads and pastas to the butchery and sauces, all products are made in-house with quality and consistency.The Oakwood Canadian Bistro serves fresh, honest food in a casual neighbourhood environment. This modest Kitsilano room encourages diners to gather around the central communal table with old and new friends, sip wine and BC craft beers or one of their classic cocktails and linger over one of Chef Michael Robbins' seasonally driven dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (99)neighborhood gem (86)special occasion (53)good for groups (44)romantic (36)hot spot (35)great for brunch (24)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (14)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Oakwood DeliversSpongebuddhaDined on 6/8/2014I have been to the Oakwood twice for brunch and twice for dinner. Each dining experience was fantastic. The food is rich, innovative and tasty, the beer selection is great and the service was excellent Great job guys. I hope you have many years of success.Special Features:
- outstanding servicenadipopsDined on 6/6/2014The Oakwood is definitley the place to be! The food is fantastic and the drinks are soooo good. Our server was amazing! My friend and I are both celiac, and she was very helpful and knowledgable and didn't make us feel like an abnormal. It's so difficult for me to explain the issues i have. It makes you feel strange and our server made it so very adaptable. Thank you! It made our evening all that much better!!Special Features:
- Epic mealfoodiechickDined on 6/5/2014This is our second time to the Oakwood and we were not disappointed...Again one of the best meals we've had in Vancouver in a long time!! Must orders: the virgin Mai Tai is amazing...they make their own almond syrup, it has walnut bitters, pineapple juice among other things and is out of this world! The poutine was melt in your mouth delicious, and the peanut butter chocolate mousse....words cannot describe- I savoured every bite and debated about going back the next day just to order that!!! Service was friendly- the bartender even came over personally to describe how he made the drinks and where to purchase the rare ingredients, and the atmosphere had great character....I think I've told everyone I know about this meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OakwoodnickwDined on 6/4/2014Great dishes. Everything was fantastic including great desserts. The flat-iron steak wasn't quite as good as everything else, but was still nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2014I had reserve an open table but was accomodated after 20mins. :(Special Features:
- Burger, kale salad, ambience!foodreviewguyDined on 5/27/2014Great burger and warm kale salad. Really, very tasty. We've been back several times for those. Pleased with several other items on the savoury menu, and happy to see some favourites on the liquor list too! Not huge fans of the deserts however. We tried the trio of mason jar deserts (I think cheese cake, creme brulee and something like a crumble?). They fell flat for us. If a killer fruit sorbet or chocolate dish was offered, we'd love to try those. Also, we've stopped ordering coffee (in the past at least, it's been on the acidic side). All in all though, an enjoyable experience and one we will repeat. Nice ambience, pleasant staff. A good find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzieDined on 5/24/2014the food is fantastic - never been disappointed - love this place:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 347 reviews are from the The Oakwood Canadian Bistro reviews archive.
- Want2eatDined on 5/21/2014Kept saying "we should try the Oakwood" and finally did. We should have tried it sooner. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- LeahVIPDined on 5/20/2014the kale salad is unique and outstanding. The meat dishes were all done to perfection. Also loved the tender octopus and very light tempura. We had a multi-generational table and everyone loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great foodie findTankxoDined on 5/18/2014Loved our meal! We were stuffed and blown away by the caliber of dishes they brought out and it didn't break the bank for the four of us!! Will definitely be going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceLovetwodineDined on 5/16/2014Great restaurant, super friendly and efficient staff, it is amazing how they deliver such an outstanding gastronomic experience every time we have dined there. It is a small space and they could easily double the space given the demand. Menu is always changing and never a disappointment. Inventive and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new FAV hot spot!! amazing food!ShawnaChayDined on 5/15/2014This was my first time to The Oakwood. I usually go to West or Gotham however I has hear great things about this place so I took my children for dinner. I was AMAZED at the service, gourmet food quality and set-up of the menu / wine list. The general manager was going around to quality check which was a great personal touch. The server was trule unbelievable. Even the hostess was happy, chatty and smiling when we came in late for oureso. I would recommomend this place to you for any meal at, brunch- lunch - or dinner. The poutine was 5star...who knew poutine coule be 5 star!!!???? This is my new hot spot...havnt. Tried the Oakwood? Ur Missing OUT! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for dinnerWellHydratedDined on 5/14/2014Excellent food that is a level above the usual chain restaurants we have too many of in Vancouver but with prices that are very reasonable for what you're getting. Fantastic drinks from the bar as well.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed all the dishes and the ambiance. Service was friendly enough. It was a bit difficult to make our order at times as the waiters/waitresses seemed very busy just walking past without looking so we couldn't catch their eye. Every dish was interesting for us (highlights were tuna and rabbit) except dessert. The goat cheesecake with blueberries was a miss. The compote was overcooked - the berries no longer had any form. Plus, the compote and crumb proportion were too much leaving only a thin layer of cheesecake. The crumb was also too dense. Maybe Norwood's ruined all cheese cakes for me. :PSpecial Features:
- Creative and DeliciousfoodtravellerDined on 5/10/2014My partner and I went for dinner on Saturday night for her birthday. Started out with cocktails. I had the Melee, which was exactly the kind of drink I like but rarely find: something with a spicy kick. It was perfect. My partner liked hers as well: a gin and elderberry liqueur combination, I believer. We shared four dishes, and they were all amazingly good. The warm kale salad was excellent, but the most amazing dish was the roast duck breast with chestnut agnolotti. They have a good selection of wines by the glass and bottle. I like to see 375 and/or 500 ml carafes, but there no such choices. Only 3 dessert options but they were good ones. Only negative comment is that the dishes are somewhat pricey for the portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas spot!LiloDined on 5/10/2014Went to the restaurant on a Saturday night in a group of 5 girls. The menu wasn't extensive but offered a good variety of things. The portions were on the small side but we were still full with 6 orders from the food section and sharing the trio of masons. With the bill under $30pp before tips with a beer each, we were quite happy. Excellent ambience for our group, which was quite loud. A nice looking patio but we didn't sit there. Service was attentive and friendly. Good job overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hitting it out of the ball parkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014A home run every time - we have never had a bad meal here - the food is so delicious, service is always quite perfect and good selection of wines a very fun place to come with friends and so nice that it is in the neighbourhood the tapas style menu is really interesting and good for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014enjoyed the kale salad. So noisy we couldn't hear each other speak. I would rate it as marked or 'obnoxious" rather than energetic
- Live music!effiegenDined on 4/27/2014Pleasantly surprised by this neighbourhood spot. Has a great ambience and mix of people and the food is great. Sunday nights prove even more entertaining with a live band!Special Features:
- reviewmrbandmeDined on 4/25/2014Excellent experience - Flexible and very accomodating staff. Delicious tapas style menu ideal for sharing. parking not at all an issue. Nice to be offered a drink while waiting in the cosy entrance! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChowhoundDined on 4/17/2014There were 4 in our party & we all enjoyed the restaurant. The food was good & the service attentive. It was noisy but that is unavoidable given the room & the number of patrons to be accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but too noisyYummyVIPDined on 4/13/2014Pork rinds amazing. Kale salad fabulous. Mussels in a tasty curry soup. Halibut divine. Poutine, duck thigh and burger nice. Must say Flying Porks just mediocre though. Server was great. Only complaint is that it is SO NOISY! We go there for the food knowing we cannot have a decent conversation. You can't hear others at your own table without them shouting. Which makes it even noisier. I would love to have been able to enjoy the food AND conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazing. Some of theSpindsDined on 4/10/2014Always amazing. Some of the best food in Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great evening.sigaDined on 4/6/2014A great place to celebrate an event and enjoy the Kitsilano neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining with a great atmosphereCanadiDined on 4/4/2014I really enjoyed my first dinner experience at the Oakwood Canadian Bistro. The food was different but meant as so delicious and the staff was not only very friendly and attentive, they were very knowledgable. The atmosphere was really nice and the design of the restaurant is very stylish and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect placeCKaletaDined on 3/29/2014My girlfriends and I needed a place to reunite, reestablish, and reenergize. The Oakwood Bistro was recommended to me by a friend, and sounded like the perfect place to make this meeting happen. The sharing concept was easily adopted by everyone, as we spent the night exhilarating our senses with dishes that excited our palates. The warm kale salad was a big hit with everyone. Our server was very efficient and anticipated the needs of the table in an entertaining way. The wonderful meal was accentuated perfectly by the life of the restaurant. Beautiful ambiance, lovely details. We left the Oakwood wanting more, yet feeling completely satisfied with the night of amazing food, good energy, and great friends reconvening in a perfect place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety at dinnertwopiscesDined on 3/29/2014We came early (5:45 pm) and ate four dishes -- all unique and delicious. We will definitely be back and highly recommend the warm kale salad and Cornish game hen. Service was friendly and attentive. The décor and dining room feel very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively atmosphere - well thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2014Lively atmosphere - well thought out "Canadian Cabin" decor - friendly and attentive service - delicious and nicely presented food. Third visit and will definitely not be the last. A true gem in Kitsilano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for Kale!KillaFoodieDined on 3/27/2014The kale salad is to die for, a must have for sure! Excellent food overall, the servers were very attentive but we were confused with the many servers coming to our table, we didn't know which one was "our" server!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgerChipandDaleVIPDined on 3/26/2014We had a reservation and was seated right away. We shared the appetizer of Salt Spring mussels and bison carpaccio. We tried mussels in different places and found theirs to have the richest taste. The bison carpaccio is very flavorful too. We ordered the burger for main course. We prefer the bun before but it is still very good. This restaurant is our go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality food, good atmosphereDaneinVancouverDined on 3/25/2014Great food, delicious taste, high quality, good selection of beer, good service, all in all a very good experience. We will defently be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique restaurantSushiloverDined on 3/23/2014The Oakwood Canadian Bistro is without a doubt an unique restaurant. With the special ambience and the surrounding decor, it was definitely a nice place to visit. Yet, in my opinion, most of the food portions were too little and doesn't really reflect the money they charged. I hope they could improve the food portions and decrease the saltiness in order to make the customers have a even more enjoyable time there!Special Features:
- FiresideFrankDined on 3/22/2014Loved the booth seating by the fireplace. Although not kale fans, generally, we really enjoyed the warm kale salad. The pork bites were a good teaser and the tagliatelle delicious. Interesting wine list. Overall, a great vibe with attentive service.Special Features:
- Cool and YumLauraNZDined on 3/21/2014Food was delicious and really only good for sharing. Great music and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing findTraderDined on 3/20/2014I've been to the Oakwood a couple of times now and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a unique and delicious menu. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Definitely great for sharingGloriaDined on 3/20/2014All the dishes were cooked perfectly. If you really intend to share all dishes, it will be perfect as a multi course dinner. Don't let the small plates fool you because after seven plates of just one or two bites, you'll be full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extremely great all roundLorieDined on 3/16/2014couldn't dream up a complaint on anything and looking forward to going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in kitsilanoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014I am surprised i didnt find this place sooner. Great food and ambiance are hard to come by n the same place in kits. I live on vine and cornwall but this is definitely my favourite place in the hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing your food just got betterFoodlover12Dined on 3/14/2014Ok so truth be told.. I only went to this place because I watch Top Chef Canada and I felt Mike got robbed. I figured he needed a second chance so I went with two friends and let me tell you... It did not disappoint! The food was really great. Yes they were smaller dishes, but they are meant to be shared plates so get the memo and SHARE them people! :) Each plate we tried seemed to get better and better. Poutine with brisket on top- FRICKEN heavenly. The only thing I didn't really love was our server but the two runners who dropped off our food were very articulate in describing the dishes and nice. I also thought the music got a little loud around ten but that's on because we wanted to still talk about the food :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blew my mindHungryLittleBirdDined on 3/12/2014The food was out of this world, many glutard-friendly options which impressed me as someone with Celiac's. Great ambience, could be a bit loud for elderly people or people who struggle with hearing, as it's quite the vibrant spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.