The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
2741 West 4 Ave
Vancouver, BC V6K 1P9Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theoakwood.ca/
- Phone: 6045581965x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Late
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:45pm (first come seating policy for brunch)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Canadian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Murphy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro, a casual neighbourhood room specializing in down-to-earth Canadian fare. The Oakwood Canadian Bistro's food philosophy is focused on fresh, house-made dishes crafted from locally sourced products. The seasonally changing menu caters to market availability and the sustainability of the products. All meats are organic, local and free of hormones and antibiotics, while the seafood is sustainable, seasonal and Ocean Wise certified. From the breads and pastas to the butchery and sauces, all products are made in-house with quality and consistency.The Oakwood Canadian Bistro serves fresh, honest food in a casual neighbourhood environment. This modest Kitsilano room encourages diners to gather around the central communal table with old and new friends, sip wine and BC craft beers or one of their classic cocktails and linger over one of Chef Ryan Murphy's seasonally driven dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (110)neighborhood gem (92)special occasion (58)good for groups (54)romantic (47)hot spot (45)great for brunch (22)late-night find (22)great for outdoor dining (18)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Great findYumyumDined on 7/17/2014Looking for a new spot. This one is good. Food is different, very tasty and fresh. Sharing plates was fun. Rib plate and the carrot cake desert was superSpecial Features:
- Innovative menu for FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014I have dined 3 times at The Oakwood Bistro and each time has been fantastic. The chef really knows how to create and execute wonderful meals for foodies. The restaurant is very busy and you need to make a reservation well in advance. If you have a sophisticated palate and love to see a creative, innovative menu with dishes that are beautifully presented and absolutely delicious, this is the place for you.Special Features:
- It's an expensive Tapas restaurant!reviewerDined on 7/17/2014This is a Tapas-style restaurant. The portions are tiny and expensive, and come when it is convenient for the restaurant to bring them, not when you want them. If you are sharing everything and you don't mind paying a lot for a little bit of food and you don't have any diet restrictions and the menu appeals to you, this is your place. But if you want a decent sized meal, served at the same time as the others at your table and/or you have diet restrictions, go somewhere else. My principal objection to the restaurant is that they do not make these things clear, either on their web site or on the phone.
- Great food and servicePamWDined on 7/17/2014Fun, unusual cocktails, great sharing dishes. Limited wine list. Try kale salad - fabulous - ribs overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice bistrot in VancouverGringoGFoodieDined on 7/16/2014The service was warming and professional. The food was ample, creative, with Canadian-riffs and absolutely delicious from the first to the last bite. Highly recommended and given the quality not that expensive.Special Features:
- great local eaterysmoothcriminalDined on 7/13/2014Took my date to this restaurant for and we both loved everything about the place. The food was amazing, the service was great, and the ambience was perfect for a romantic date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need a cancer dietvtak33Dined on 7/11/2014Loved the food and was happy to see some items we could eat. Need a no sugar, only fish or chicken or vegetarian (cancer diet) and found enough to eat might be more difficut next time to find something new. also alchol free beer was appreciated. Dessert was difficult too much sugar....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MargoxoxoMargoxoxoDined on 7/6/2014It was a big birthday for myself and a friend and four ladies had a wonderful boisterous time. Our waiter was perfect anticipating my second dirty martini and making us feel special and well looked after. The food as usual was wonderful and innovating. We had two kale salads and considered a third since it is the best ever. I have also had the steak every time I've been there ... So tender and tasty with that barley no one should miss. Halibut, seared tuna and a little sweet after was all just perfect for is to share. Of course we will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitfoodquesterDined on 7/3/2014I heard lots of positive reviews of this restaurant and I like to support local food, so I booked a table. Our server was down to earth and knowledgeable about the food. We were well cared for. Our first dish was the seared albacore tuna, which we both enjoyed, especially the asian flavoured accompaniment. The fried octopus dish that followed was good, but the octopus was very chewy and lacked flavour. The aioli was also a bit lost on the bottom of the dish. The next dish was the wilted kale salad. The lemony dressing was great and I loved the idea, but it was marred by finding a piece of cardboard it the last few bites. At least it was free! The poutine is nice, but a bit too rich. Our two desserts were plate-licking good!Special Features:
- The following 360 reviews are from the The Oakwood Canadian Bistro reviews archive.
- Excellent ServiceVCreviewsDined on 6/24/2014Service was excellent! Our waitress was extremely knowledgable and proactive during our dinner. On the downside, I found portion size to be extremely small. Some of the choices they suggest to even share are so small in portion size. Although, food does taste great and they have built a very diverse and unique menu. Don't expect much if you're coming to eat here for a full dinner or hungry. You will still leave hungry. Nice decor and ambience in the restaurant, but very noisy. Overall it was ok, but I'd say there still improvement to be made for dinner service. Will have to come by and try brunch in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonWilsonVanDined on 6/22/2014I had heard great things about Oakwood from friends and industry people and finally got to enjoy their food. The poutine with brisket was superb. I've had brisket in Montreal where rue St. Laurent is the home of great brisket and Oakwood is easily their equal. My friend and I shared their hamburger and it too was a cut above any I've had in the city. Service was informed and friendly and made the evening complete. I am a wine guy so I judge every restaurant by its wine list. Oakwood has a good selection of B.C. and world wines that'll suit any taste. Well Done!Special Features:
- BettyboopDined on 6/20/2014A first time for my good friend & I. We both love the food, service was very good. We would definately go back.Special Features:
- SuperbButterflyDined on 6/19/2014Outstanding food, creative, tasty and excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal at the Oakwood!BudgetfoodieDined on 6/12/2014My fiance and I went for dinner at the Oakwood last Thursday, and everything was stellar. Our server was really helpful, suggesting foods and making sure each dish was gluten free for us. And the food itself was excellent. The ambience inside the restaurant is great - a beautiful bar, low lighting. I've already recommended it to friends, and I'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badDebsDined on 6/10/2014All dishes were meant for sharing. The waitress advised us to order 1.5-2 dishes each to share. I didn't enjoy this concept that much, I just wanted to eat the dish that I ordered and not share. But out of the dishes we ordered, the poutine, duck breast and halibut were stand out. The flat iron steak, rabbit, duck confit, fried octopus and mussels were only ok. I don't think I would come back again, maybe just to try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oakwood DeliversSpongebuddhaDined on 6/8/2014I have been to the Oakwood twice for brunch and twice for dinner. Each dining experience was fantastic. The food is rich, innovative and tasty, the beer selection is great and the service was excellent Great job guys. I hope you have many years of success.Special Features:
- outstanding servicenadipopsDined on 6/6/2014The Oakwood is definitley the place to be! The food is fantastic and the drinks are soooo good. Our server was amazing! My friend and I are both celiac, and she was very helpful and knowledgable and didn't make us feel like an abnormal. It's so difficult for me to explain the issues i have. It makes you feel strange and our server made it so very adaptable. Thank you! It made our evening all that much better!!Special Features:
- Epic mealfoodiechickDined on 6/5/2014This is our second time to the Oakwood and we were not disappointed...Again one of the best meals we've had in Vancouver in a long time!! Must orders: the virgin Mai Tai is amazing...they make their own almond syrup, it has walnut bitters, pineapple juice among other things and is out of this world! The poutine was melt in your mouth delicious, and the peanut butter chocolate mousse....words cannot describe- I savoured every bite and debated about going back the next day just to order that!!! Service was friendly- the bartender even came over personally to describe how he made the drinks and where to purchase the rare ingredients, and the atmosphere had great character....I think I've told everyone I know about this meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OakwoodnickwDined on 6/4/2014Great dishes. Everything was fantastic including great desserts. The flat-iron steak wasn't quite as good as everything else, but was still nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2014I had reserve an open table but was accomodated after 20mins. :(Special Features:
- Burger, kale salad, ambience!foodreviewguyDined on 5/27/2014Great burger and warm kale salad. Really, very tasty. We've been back several times for those. Pleased with several other items on the savoury menu, and happy to see some favourites on the liquor list too! Not huge fans of the deserts however. We tried the trio of mason jar deserts (I think cheese cake, creme brulee and something like a crumble?). They fell flat for us. If a killer fruit sorbet or chocolate dish was offered, we'd love to try those. Also, we've stopped ordering coffee (in the past at least, it's been on the acidic side). All in all though, an enjoyable experience and one we will repeat. Nice ambience, pleasant staff. A good find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzieDined on 5/24/2014the food is fantastic - never been disappointed - love this place:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want2eatDined on 5/21/2014Kept saying "we should try the Oakwood" and finally did. We should have tried it sooner. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- LeahVIPDined on 5/20/2014the kale salad is unique and outstanding. The meat dishes were all done to perfection. Also loved the tender octopus and very light tempura. We had a multi-generational table and everyone loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great foodie findTankxoDined on 5/18/2014Loved our meal! We were stuffed and blown away by the caliber of dishes they brought out and it didn't break the bank for the four of us!! Will definitely be going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceLovetwodineDined on 5/16/2014Great restaurant, super friendly and efficient staff, it is amazing how they deliver such an outstanding gastronomic experience every time we have dined there. It is a small space and they could easily double the space given the demand. Menu is always changing and never a disappointment. Inventive and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new FAV hot spot!! amazing food!ShawnaChayDined on 5/15/2014This was my first time to The Oakwood. I usually go to West or Gotham however I has hear great things about this place so I took my children for dinner. I was AMAZED at the service, gourmet food quality and set-up of the menu / wine list. The general manager was going around to quality check which was a great personal touch. The server was trule unbelievable. Even the hostess was happy, chatty and smiling when we came in late for oureso. I would recommomend this place to you for any meal at, brunch- lunch - or dinner. The poutine was 5star...who knew poutine coule be 5 star!!!???? This is my new hot spot...havnt. Tried the Oakwood? Ur Missing OUT! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for dinnerWellHydratedDined on 5/14/2014Excellent food that is a level above the usual chain restaurants we have too many of in Vancouver but with prices that are very reasonable for what you're getting. Fantastic drinks from the bar as well.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed all the dishes and the ambiance. Service was friendly enough. It was a bit difficult to make our order at times as the waiters/waitresses seemed very busy just walking past without looking so we couldn't catch their eye. Every dish was interesting for us (highlights were tuna and rabbit) except dessert. The goat cheesecake with blueberries was a miss. The compote was overcooked - the berries no longer had any form. Plus, the compote and crumb proportion were too much leaving only a thin layer of cheesecake. The crumb was also too dense. Maybe Norwood's ruined all cheese cakes for me. :PSpecial Features:
- Creative and DeliciousfoodtravellerDined on 5/10/2014My partner and I went for dinner on Saturday night for her birthday. Started out with cocktails. I had the Melee, which was exactly the kind of drink I like but rarely find: something with a spicy kick. It was perfect. My partner liked hers as well: a gin and elderberry liqueur combination, I believer. We shared four dishes, and they were all amazingly good. The warm kale salad was excellent, but the most amazing dish was the roast duck breast with chestnut agnolotti. They have a good selection of wines by the glass and bottle. I like to see 375 and/or 500 ml carafes, but there no such choices. Only 3 dessert options but they were good ones. Only negative comment is that the dishes are somewhat pricey for the portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas spot!LiloDined on 5/10/2014Went to the restaurant on a Saturday night in a group of 5 girls. The menu wasn't extensive but offered a good variety of things. The portions were on the small side but we were still full with 6 orders from the food section and sharing the trio of masons. With the bill under $30pp before tips with a beer each, we were quite happy. Excellent ambience for our group, which was quite loud. A nice looking patio but we didn't sit there. Service was attentive and friendly. Good job overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hitting it out of the ball parkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014A home run every time - we have never had a bad meal here - the food is so delicious, service is always quite perfect and good selection of wines a very fun place to come with friends and so nice that it is in the neighbourhood the tapas style menu is really interesting and good for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014enjoyed the kale salad. So noisy we couldn't hear each other speak. I would rate it as marked or 'obnoxious" rather than energetic
- Live music!effiegenDined on 4/27/2014Pleasantly surprised by this neighbourhood spot. Has a great ambience and mix of people and the food is great. Sunday nights prove even more entertaining with a live band!Special Features:
- reviewmrbandmeDined on 4/25/2014Excellent experience - Flexible and very accomodating staff. Delicious tapas style menu ideal for sharing. parking not at all an issue. Nice to be offered a drink while waiting in the cosy entrance! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChowhoundDined on 4/17/2014There were 4 in our party & we all enjoyed the restaurant. The food was good & the service attentive. It was noisy but that is unavoidable given the room & the number of patrons to be accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but too noisyYummyVIPDined on 4/13/2014Pork rinds amazing. Kale salad fabulous. Mussels in a tasty curry soup. Halibut divine. Poutine, duck thigh and burger nice. Must say Flying Porks just mediocre though. Server was great. Only complaint is that it is SO NOISY! We go there for the food knowing we cannot have a decent conversation. You can't hear others at your own table without them shouting. Which makes it even noisier. I would love to have been able to enjoy the food AND conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazing. Some of theSpindsDined on 4/10/2014Always amazing. Some of the best food in Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great evening.sigaDined on 4/6/2014A great place to celebrate an event and enjoy the Kitsilano neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining with a great atmosphereCanadiDined on 4/4/2014I really enjoyed my first dinner experience at the Oakwood Canadian Bistro. The food was different but meant as so delicious and the staff was not only very friendly and attentive, they were very knowledgable. The atmosphere was really nice and the design of the restaurant is very stylish and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.