Hunter's Head Tavern
9048 John Mosby Highway
Upperville, VA 20184Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Hunter's Head Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.huntersheadtavern.com/
- Phone: 5405929020
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week.
Monday - Saturday 11:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (Brunch), 2:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. regular menu
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Ayrshire Farm
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A custom menu can be designed specially for your occasion. Please contact the General Manager at 540.592.9020
- Private Party Facilities: Hunter’s Head Tavern welcomes your private party reservations for 10 to 35 people. If interested, contact the General Manager at 540.592.9020.
- Private Party Contact: General Manager 5405929020
- Entertainment: Dogs (and cats) are welcome to dine with you on the patio. For your convenience a Furry Foodie™ Dinner maybe ordered off the menu for your pet.
A word from Hunter's Head Tavern
Experience our English-style Pub that serves traditional pub fare, fine dining cuisine and mouthwatering homemade desserts. Entrees and appetizers feature local farm meats (Certified Humane® and Certified Organic) as well as local produce. From our famous burgers, to roasted chickens, to veal and pork chops, Hunter's Head Tavern provides a unique opportunity for customers to dine with confidence. Our main ingredients come from farms dedicated to maintaining the health and well-being of their animals as well as the land. Domestic and imported beers are available on tap along with an excellent wine selection including local and organic choices. Five different dining rooms and extensive outdoor seating during the warm seasons provide a dynamic dining experience whether you are looking for a family-friendly, romantic or cozy neighborhood environment. Pets are also welcome to dine on the patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Hunter's Head Tavern - Best Restaurants in Upperville ›
Hunter's Head Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (87)neighborhood gem (72)great for lunch (60)special occasion (44)fit for foodies (44)great for brunch (44)romantic (35)kid-friendly (35)good for groups (30)scenic view (13)notable wine list (7)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- nice ambiance but food just fairOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014food at our table: Whole Wheat Asparagus-Mushroom Crêpes w/Pub Greens Salad and Vegetarian Quiche w/ Pub Greens Salad. The Quiche and crepes were good, nothing remarkable, just what they should be. But the salads, a total waste of effort and ingredients. The greens, fresh and plentiful, were ruined by a sweet and and over potent dressing. The desert, Angel food cake with fresh berries and strawberries sorbet was very good. The sorbet was actually remarkable. Probably a three star rating would have been appropriate also, if not for the fact that with all the information available today, plentiful and instantaneous, there is no excuse for messing up a dressing. Ambiance, location, decor, excellent. Service, very good.Special Features:
- special occasion musthodgeDined on 6/14/2014everything about hunter's head is outstanding. the welcome, the extensive menu, the service, excellent cuisine....I'd go just for the bread. how DO they prepare all that array of food in such a small but charming setting?! Even the drive to get there is serene and relaxing. we are regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FamilygatheringDined on 6/8/2014We had been planning for months to come back to Hunter's on a special occassion with our entire family because of the excellent experience we had had before. We selected a room upstairs for the old English ambiance and food. We had an outstanding experience with excellent service to complement our special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Second time on a Sunday morning. Brought some city friends out to the country for a relaxing brunch. Guys had steak and eggs, ladies had a salad and a salmon/cream cheese, w/bagel platter... all were delicious! On tap beers and variety of local and international wines and dessert (with expresso) was the perfect ending. Staff was attentive but not hovering. You can stay as long as you want to. Will definitely be going back. (there is hiking in a National Park 15 minutes down the road or Middleburg in 10 minutes the other direction.)Special Features:
- Group dinneroldiesDined on 6/6/2014I always enjoy Hunter's Head -- the food is good the ambiance is charming. The staff was very nice and quite accommodating However, I sent my hamburger back because it was overcooked, way overcooked. And, since I was the last one served at the three of the tables that our group occupied, I was still eating when others were mingling. They put a brand new waitress in with out group of about 20 people. She was nice and did her best to take care of us but she didn't seem to know much about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeachBrew2014Dined on 6/6/2014The Peach Beer is the best I've ever had. Their salads are very good. Winter or summer this tavern has a lot of ambiance and really good food. The drive to Uppervile is part of the experience as the scenery is beautiful.Special Features:
- charming-ishfoodgeeksDined on 5/31/2014We hadn't been to Hunter Head Inn for probably 12 or so yrs, one should expect changes. Still, after we were shown to our indoor table, i was surprised by their new method of taking orders which had patrons stand in a line (though not very long, or for very much time) to place their order for food & drink from a menu that was shoulder level and frankly, easily blocked by the people in line, making it difficult to read. As we placed our order we were informed by waitress that another couple had taken our table; which we'd left cased reading glasses at. Upon returned to our table we saw that our case had indeed been moved to another table. hmmm? the waitress was somewhat apologetic. as for the meal only the calamari apt. shined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best places I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/26/2014Reserved a table for two on line for 6:45 pm. We got there at 6:00 pm and the host was very polite and nice. He asked if we have been to his establishment before and we said no, he graciously told us how to order the good and showed us to our table. We did as he said and sat down not 2 min passed before the waitress introduced herself to us and asked if we needed more to drink ect. They were busy and she made us feel like we were her only customer. This is something you don't find that often. The food was great and everything cooked to perfection. We will return when we drive thru again. Thank you for the great service that you provided us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good service. Good food.SewHappyDined on 5/26/2014Clare our waitress was great. The food was good and fresh. My family and friends enjoyed it. Hope was very helpful in getting our arrangements finalized and advised is who our server would be. They highly endorsed their chocolate cake. At $4 per half slice it was not very big. I like their strawberry shortcake better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- English pub home away from home!SoniDined on 5/25/2014Hunters Head Tavern looks as much like an English country pub as is possible. It could have been picked up from East Anglia and moved to Upperville, Virginia. Whether dining inside or outside, the food is an excellent mix of traditional English and gourmet dishes, prepared with locally raised meats. We travel an hour and a half through beautiful Virginia countryside to get there and will continue to do so. A reservation is a must so that you're not waiting or disappointed. The pub side of the tavern as opposed to the dining side is brilliant, a well stocked beer and wine menu and cocktail bar. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upperville ClassicRollieinDCDined on 5/24/2014Been coming here for years, and the food quality is good to great, depending on your palate. Many local farm to table offerings, and lots of choices from vegan to vegitarian to seafood to full out carnivore. The outdoor dining is often a winner, but highly recommend reservations regardless of dining options available. Large rooms available for medium sized groups, as well. Drink selection is good with a full bar. Childrens menu is also ample and full of options. One quirk is that table service is partial, in that you have to order meals at the bar area. Servers then bring it to your table. Service staff are attentive, but also a bit "mixed up" at times.Special Features:
- The following 361 reviews are from the Hunter's Head Tavern reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Not prepared for the $54/apiece brunch, but the food was great.Special Features:
- Top Quality MeatsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014All the food for our Mother's Day Brunch buffet was excellent, but the meats were spectacular. The bacon, in particular, was among the very best I have ever had.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunch...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014...was expensive for the quality and variety of food that was offered...we always enjoy the regular the menu, and will return for that, but not for Brunch again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KES1639Dined on 5/8/2014We sat out on the patio on a perfect Virginia spring evening. The bread was wonderful as always. The service could have been better. We had to ask for refill on the drinks (homemade limeade and lemonade) and water when the food was brought. Never checked back on us while we were eating to be sure everything was ok. We had said it was our step sons birthday -- hostess told him happy birthday but that was all. They didn't do anything (like a complimentary dessert) for his birthday. As always the food was really good.Special Features:
- Great Place!ReviewerVIPDined on 5/3/2014Great place for food and ambience! The food is exceptional! And the drive through the Virginia countryside to get to the location is beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just What the Doctor OrderedSeptemberVIPDined on 5/3/2014A real pleasant stop after a long drive, we went traditional (with the assistance of a regular). My wife and I were both well pleased with our chicken pot pie and shepherd's pie. There was a nice drink menu as well, with many traditional favorites, though our Newcastle's tasted off a bit. We finished strong with cheddar apple pie and sticky toffee pudding and both really enjoyed those selections. Service was pleasant/attentive and parking was easy.Special Features:
- Consistently outstandingCaptainWillDined on 5/1/2014Hunter's Head is one of the few restaurants in Virginia that I have found to be consistently outstanding. Pub atmosphere, excellent food and friendly service are always the fare.Special Features:
- Great...butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/30/2014We loved everything, but our waitress did not crack a smile and was a little eager to clear our plates. We were entertaining guests from out of town and they also commented on feeling a little uncomfortable as a result.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RusticNotableDined on 4/27/2014This is a nice place with a lot of history and ambiance. We had brunch there which was delicious. The service was outstanding and so was the selection of wine and drinks. We will go back an other day to have dinner there.Special Features:
- Awesome ambianceecurb60Dined on 4/22/2014Hunter's Head Tavern is bar far our favorite unique eating place. We love the quaintness, the fireplace, the location. The food is great, service is perfect and price is reasonable. The only reason to not recommend this place would be to keep it to ourselves so we don't have problems getting a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchSummerDined on 4/20/2014We have lunch at Hunter's Head almost every weekend! My friends live in Virginia, but I drive from Maryland because it is my favorite place to eat, especially outside. We celebrate birthdays and holidays at Hunter's Head. Being a vegetarian, I love the super salad. And not to mention the friendly service and desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upperville meeting placeBurgDined on 4/20/2014Excellent source of quality organic food in the heart of hunt country. Meals are well prepared and well presented and the service is solid. Nice outdoor area too and you can bring your pet - there is a special menu for them!Special Features:
- Happy EasterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014With ALL of the eateries available that don't make the grade, Hunter's Head does. Being located in a small hamlet in the Virginia countryside (probably) affords the patrons a beautiful and, hopefully, relaxing drive to start their culinary experience. Once inside the tavern, you are struck by the "country appropriate" ambience as well as the quality, variety and abundance of their Easter buffet selections. On the whole, the tavern's offerings were original and very tasty. Kudos to the Tavern's management and wait staff for making our Easter choice enjoyable.Special Features:
- Always pleasing!LibbyDined on 4/14/2014Hunter's Head service and food is always very pleasing! It is one of the favorites of mine and my friends and out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely settingJobinDined on 4/13/2014We had an enjoyable dinner with four adult foodies, on a Sunday evening to celebrate a birthday for my husband. Menu is quite varied, so there was something for everyone. Appetizers were well presented and tasty, but several of the mains were only so-so. The veal in the burger was under seasoned and the Beef Stroganof needed a better sear on the meat for flavour. The first two desserts we ordered were unavailable so that was disappointing, though the alternatives were very good.
- A Real GemJAYZDined on 4/13/2014Excellent place to go as a destination after a beautiful ride or drive in the country. Been here several times in 2013 and plan to make it a frequent stop in 2014.Special Features:
- Keep up the good work!AfripokeDined on 4/9/2014Always a pleasure to dine here. Brought some international friends in for a visit and they were very impressed by the food. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful tavern in a beautifulbeanDined on 4/7/2014wonderful tavern in a beautiful area - great British food and beer!Special Features:
- Always a great place to eat!LaurenDined on 4/7/2014Hunter's Head is my "Go To" restaurant. I eat there more than anyplace else. You can not beat them for comfort food. My favorite thing is the fresh , warm bread ! I tried the Beef Stroganoff ,although I was in the mood for the Shepard's Pie. I should have stuck with the Shepard's Pie. . It was okay but not great.The Shepard's Pie is always wonderful. They do a really nice Rib-eye there ,and I love the Chicken Pot Pie. Their holiday buffets are incredible !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always.pleasedCathyDined on 4/6/2014Hunters Head is like coming home to family. Always welcoming, warm and friendly. The menu offers everything from comfort food to the more exotic. I love being able to count on the quality of the food sources too. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a very cool place.BDubsDined on 4/5/2014It was a very cool place. I liked how you go up to a window to order. The service was good, the only thing is we thought the food was a bit over priced. The food was good but we were a bit surprised when the bill came. I would still go back if I was out that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant Ever!HappyFoodieDined on 4/5/2014I always recommend and promote HHT on Facebook. There's nothing quite like a day of shopping in Middleburg, visiting the Aldie Mill topped with lunch or dinner at the Tavern. Always reminds me of the pubs in England.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itluvthepubDined on 4/4/2014This was our first time to Hunter's Head, and we will be back. Lots of pub beers on tap and a good wine list. The food was outstanding, I had the fish n chips which was the best I have had and I try it everywhere. The fish was perfectly cooked, light and flaky. We also had the Guinness Ayreshire beef stew, which was also among the best I have ever tasted. The beef was tender and tasty, I wonder if it was filet mignon? For desert, chocolate chocolate cake which was worth writing home about, and Nutella cheesecake, kind of New York style, little bits of toffee. Loved both. Also, fresh whipped topping just added to the joy! I look forward to the journey through your extensive menu. The staff was very courteous, attentive, and always smiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentCaptainWillDined on 3/29/2014We dine frequently at the Hunter's Head Tavern in Upperville. The food and service is consistently excellent at lunch, dinner and on holidays.The well-prepared and well-served organic and farm raised fare is always top notch. And the pub atmosphere is comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like EnglandDianaVIPDined on 3/28/2014Wonderful food. Delicious, yummy three layer cheesy quiche w/salad. My Mom's fish and chips were good, but not great. We both had their specialty dessert, sticky toffee pudding. It wasn't good, not like their usual standard. Management apologized, agreed and removed it from our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pub atmosphereMIAIADDined on 3/23/2014Just a fun pub atmosphere with good food. We ordered fish and chips, a hamburger with goat cheese and a glass of wine. Everything was cooked perfectly and the chips were great. The old floors, tables, fireplace, and the outdoor venue really added to our outing. Just a fun place with terrific people and good food. Looking forward to going back in warmer weather to enjoy their outdoor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming, Casual, ComfortableMkblevDined on 3/23/2014Hunter's Head Tavern in Upperville is an hour's drive from the western suburbs of Washington, but it is a charming step back into an Old Virginia horse country tavern, with tasty food and drink, and excellent, cheerful service--a pleasant dining experience. The tavern has a number of different small, intimate dining rooms (ours had a fire in the fireplace on a cool spring afternoon,) which keep the ambient noise to a low, pleasant level, and in fine weather there is a beautiful outdoor terrace for dining. One orders food and drink at a counter next to the bar before being seated, and the food is then brought to the table--unusual but it works. It Is casual and comfortable, and diners are not rushed. Reservations are recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an enjoyabe escapedaleDined on 3/21/2014Hunters head provides a quiet escape, with unquestionably great food. The stuffed cabbage was great followed by a custard pudding cake that was perfect. I only wish it were a little warmer to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Growing on meMmmFrenchToastDined on 3/15/2014My girlfriend loves this place, so I took her here for her birthday dinner. The food was delicious, and we felt like we were back in England at a tavern. She got the chicken fried steak, and was still talking about it the next day. I got the french dip sandwich, and it was absolutely delicious. We recommend pairing everything here with a woodpecker cider. Yum! My main complaint was that I made reservations and, when we arrived, we were given two choices: The first choice was upstairs in the corner of a room where the chair was half into a raised fireplace so that my chair wobbled (I'm talking a couple inch difference). The second choice was the table for two in the entrance where people are standing around ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.