8401 Connecticut Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavirarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3016528684x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Portuguese
- Executive Chef: Duarte Rebolo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Duarte 3016528684x
- Entertainment: Every 2 Friday of the month, sign up for the Tavira - email/list http://tavirarestaurant.com/signupform.html
A word from Tavira
Duarte Rebolo was born in Madeira Island, Madeira, a popular European tourist spot in the Atlantic Ocean. His career in restaurant service began there and so far has spanned about 20 years. Tavira restaurant opened its doors in November of 1999. The name Tavira comes from a beautiful place in Portugal. Since opening Tavira has been included in Washingtonian Magazine's 100 Very Best Restaurants and rated very good to excellent by Zagat. Tavira has also been mentioned nationally in Gourmet Magazine, Bethesda Magazine and received favorable reviews from The Washington Post, Washington Times, The Gazette, Washington Diplomat and other local newspapers. Duarte's professionalism, attention to detail and hard work will make your dining experience a delightful virtual escape to Portugal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Tavira reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (31)fit for foodies (28)notable wine list (10)good for groups (10)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- U-Turn To Great FoodAnthonyDined on 1/14/2014Coming from the Beltway will require a u-turn on Conn. Ave and a short back track. The lunch was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is a bit of an older crowd.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/11/2014It is a bit of an older crowd. I'm 55 and I felt young. The food was pretty good and an interesting menu. The service was spotty and I never got the coffee I ordered.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Okay, Music Excellent, PriceyEmpeeDined on 1/10/2014I've eaten here twice. The first time the food was much better than this. I ordered the fish special and it was very dry. The side spinach was tasty, My husband had the mixed grill and enjoyed it. The music was great. We went on the second Friday of the month and thoroughly enjoyed the band. It made the visit. Service was excellent. Our server recommended a great bottle of wine. They know the balance between attentive and bothersome.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great and it is wonderful.SunshineDined on 12/31/2013I had enjoyed the food there. I love Portuguese food and this restaurant is exceptional. A must for food lover.Special Features:
- OCCASIONAL CUSTOMERSALLY8EATSDined on 12/30/2013AS AN OCCASIONAL CUSTOMER, I WISH WE FELT GOOD ABOUT MAKING MORE FREQUENT VISITS TO TAVIRA. THE FOOD IS REALLY GOOD AND OFTEN ONE CAN FIND A QUIET SPOT. NOW COMES THE "HOWEVER". WE HAVE BEEN THERE WITH A SMALL GROUP, JUST TWO OF US AND ALMOST EACH TIME WE ARE MET WITH SURLY WAITERS. TIME AFTER TIME IF WE DARE ASK FOR SOMETHING LIKE HOW SPICY, CAN YOU HOLD THE SALT ON THIS, ETC. EACH TIME THE ANSWER HAS BEEN "WE DON'T DO THAT" THE ANSWER IS SO PAT ONE KNOWS IT MUST COME FROM HIGH UP...LIKE A THREATENING CHEF. YOU ARE SITTING IN A POSH SETTING, OFFERING GOOD FOOD AND THE PERSON-TO-PRSON LEAVES A BAD TASTE. TOO BAD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find! - Best Portuguese in DCNickNameVIPDined on 12/21/2013Tavira was great, and well worth the trek out to the suburbs. It's hard to get authentic Portuguese food in DC, and Tavira reminded me of the dishes I had on my recent trip to Portugal. The lamb shank, suckling pig, and sea bass were particularly good and they had a nice Alentejo that paired well with the meats. I definitely want to go back and try the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- A quiet restaurant with good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/21/2013These days, there are not many restaurants in the DC area where you can go for a nice quiet meal with good food. Be thankful for Tavira. You can have a pleasant conversation with friends without having to shout while eating good food, The menu is extensive and the food mostly Portuguese style. My wife and I have been to Tavira about 4 times, and afterwords we always say that we should come here more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food too salty, vegetablesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2013food too salty, vegetables tasteless, wine mediocre to bad, steak not good, it may be that our party does not appreciate Portuguese cuisine
- lovely quaint placejrockVIPDined on 12/13/2013Easy free parking was a great plus, and were impressed by very charming dining room decorated for the holidays and they even have 2 smaller private rooms, one with a fireplace, super cute! The live music was setting up as we were leaving (around 7pm) and the musicians even played a song that my daughter got to sing to mind you it was early, before the rush. The server and server assistants were so warm and obliging. My elderly parents loved it and have been to Tavira and loved talking all about it with the staff. Our server had been there almost 10 years or more and was extremely knowledgeable, plates were all nicely portioned- perfect for us. the largest portion was an amazing pork shank i believe, incredible as it fell off the bone.Special Features:
- Quiet place, great foodpryornetVIPDined on 11/26/2013As always, a nice place for great portuguese dishes, especially seafood. Brings a portuguese speaking clientele, which is always a good sign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portuguese food with s flairBMiltDined on 11/23/2013This restaurant is in the lower level of an office building. After hours the front entrance is locked and you have to enter through a side door with a security guard. It CAN be confusing. Tavira has a strong European sense--not simply Portuguese. I had Medallions of Beef with Madeira which was superb although a tad overdone. My wife has a sirloin which was perfect. The menu has an extensive offering of Cod and other fish. Our dining partners both had fish and were very complimentary. I had a pimento salad with goat cheese that was marvelous. They have a nice wine list with Portuguese, Spanish and European offerings. Our waiter was Portuguese who had lived in Angola and Spain as well as Portugal and was friendly, informative and attentive.Special Features:
- Great Portuguese CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/17/2013If you love Portuguese Cuisine, this is the ideal restaurant to dine. Excelent codfish cooked in the Portuguese way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite.gapakeDined on 11/16/2013We have been going to Tavira ever since it opened. The food is always great and the service is very good. The red Sangria is my favorite drink. We never order from the menu because the specials are always so good. Can't go wrong with any fish dish and the steaks are always so tender and good. The liver was over cooked on our last visit though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013This was my third visit and it just gets better. The band is wonderful. I love have the music while dining.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite a surprise!JeffNDined on 11/8/2013We took a chance on this restaurant and it's odd location in the basement of an office building. But, what we found was a favorite restaurant. It is charming. The food is prepared with great care. The service has always been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops at TaviraJoeDDined on 11/8/2013Been here several times and never disappointed. Pleasant, yet refined but not a pretentious atmosphere, with great choice on the menu and in the daily specials. Give it a try....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portuguese Dinner!PadraicDined on 11/5/2013Joined two business colleagues for dinner. We were highly impressed with the service and the food! We mostly focused on traditional Portuguese dishes, two fish, one pork, all of which were delicious. There were many reasonably-priced wines as well, and again we chose Portuguese, which were excellent. Because of long conversation (which is easy there), we were the last to leave, and the staff was exceedingly patient with us! Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerMikeDined on 11/1/2013Have been to Tavira several times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basement BravuraOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2013Nestled in the ground floor of an office building in Chevy Chase, this warmly decorated restaurant dishes up consistently good Mediterranean fare with an emphasis on Portuguese salted-cod. Our group also had other seafood dishes as well as roasted pork shank, and all were excellently prepared. The desserts were fantastic as well. We have been coming here for over 20 years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- ROMANTIC DINNERreallyDined on 10/26/2013AMBIANCE was amazing even though the location of restaurant was a lil weird to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but priceyoutandaboutDined on 10/25/2013Top quality food in a very relaxed setting (unusual for the area!). A bit pricey for what one would expect, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portuguese foodAmocomidaVIPDined on 10/22/2013Very nicely decorated restaurant with good food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - fair serviceirishmkateDined on 10/20/2013Food was great, but service was slow. It took us twenty minutes to get the check - and they forgot our dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was first rate andJuts1Dined on 10/19/2013The food was first rate and the service was outstanding. They do excellent fish and seafood dishes. This is the second time we have been there and will come back again soon.Special Features:
- excellent experiencecustomerDined on 10/19/2013Again, we enjoyed our time at Tavira as well as the ambience, food and service. We will return! Our companions felt the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurtant and charming staEdwardDined on 10/18/2013This restaurant has some delightfull atmosphere rivaled only by its' excellent wait staff. The wine list is perfect and the the Portuguese cuisine was delicious. If you are a fish lover this is a wonderful dining choice. The salad with fresh sardines is out of this world. We followed our waiters recomendations and had no regrets. I look forward to another visti to try out some other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll Be BackGroupieDined on 10/18/2013Tavira is a consistently good restaurant. The food has always been great and the wait staff helpful. I have been there many times with my ladies group and all agree that it is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special restaurantDRBMHDDined on 10/13/2013This is my favorite restaurant...Beautiful atmosphere, professional yet warm and humble service, hardworking,hospitable,and generous owner. The food is YUMMY. Delicious appetizers and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time coming here. Great1stTimerDined on 10/5/2013First time coming here. Great place with not too much noise. Worth going to again!Special Features:
- Tavira: good food; needs ambiencericloeDined on 10/4/2013Food was excellent. Service was friendly and fairly attentive. The Leche Frita de Avo was one of the best deserts I have ever had. Arroz Valencia y the Corvina were excellent. Deserves a better setting. It is clean, etc., but not cozy or romantic.
- great variety, long list ofxfootdocDined on 9/30/2013great variety, long list of specials, very friendly service , never disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticjennybDined on 9/29/2013Loved our meal. My hubby(born in Portugal) is always in search of an authentic Portuguese restaurant, hard to find where we live. We visit NYC & DC a lot but the so called Portuguese restaurants there have some hipster influence & falls short of the authentic experience we look for. My hubby was raised on his momma's homestyle cooking from the old country and he was more than happy with this place. The Bisteca de la Casa was terrific and so was the seafood stew(Mariscada), that I had. The sangria was just like we make it. The only thing I noticed was the bread served before the meal was generic and not the saloio rolls I would have liked to see. The flan and orange bread pudding desserts were heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mediterranean FoodzippymdVIPDined on 9/22/2013Excellent Mediterranean Food with a Flair. Seafood excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedJeffNDined on 9/20/2013I was very surprised by how much I liked this restaurant. The food and service were wonderful. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining AloneMissGDined on 9/10/2013I dined alone & unlike many other restaurants this experience was very enjoyable.The wait staff were friendly, attentive, & helpful. This was a first visit & first time enjoying Portuguese cuisine; the waiter helped me choose an entree & wine-both delicious. Another waiter, not my waiter but his assistant (apologies for lack of terminology) suggested a dessert that was by far the highlight of the entire meal-Leite Frita. Maybe I've been sheltered but, it was one of the most unique desserts I have ever enjoyed-light, crispy & melted in my mouth-the citrus sauce was outstanding-definitely a new found fav! The evening ended with a complimentary port and that too would be worth a return visit-I hope to enjoy Tavira many times in the future.Special Features:
- lousy food, expensive price absolutaabidosisDined on 9/8/2013lousy food, expensive price absolutely not justified on the quality of this kind of lousy food. I am thoroughly disappointed. This was my first visit to this restaurant but also my last! I would make sure my friends not making the same mistake as I have.
- Holiday surpriseSoonerRicoVIPDined on 9/2/2013Had a friend in from out of town and were worried that we couldn't deliver an impressive meal on a holiday. Tavira really came through on a quiet Labor Day evening. The Corrado (sp?) fish special was stellar as was the lamb shank. Our guest was very pleased with the monkfish and the gazpacho so dinner was a total success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Portuguese dreamdiningdebDined on 8/17/2013A relaxed and welcoming, softly elegant atmosphere. The staff and owner/chef are there to please and have you feel as family. Especially appreciated are the mussels and seafood, but our meat eating companions were equally pleased. Parking is easy and to have a place for quiet conversation with great food and good wine is a find. Families welcome too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013I had the porkloin and was surprised that they used canned mushrooms. My husband got the New York strip and called it "OK". The bar is adorned with hokie Christmas lights, and the wall sconce light above my head in the dining room was one of those dripping oil illusions that was popular in the 1970s. Our party of four was squeezed into a tiny, square table with water glasses so big they took up most of the space on the table. Weird. On the upside, our desserts were very good and the service was outstanding. We were quickly seated, and staff was very responsive throughout the evening. Waiters and bus service were exceptional -- maybe they were trying to compensate for the bad food and scenery.Special Features:
- Pretty Little PlaceVasilikiDined on 8/16/2013Tavira was a lovely experience, both for the ambience and the delicious Portuguese fare. The painted walls and charming décor are suitable for a romantic evening for two or a table full of friends and family. It was absolutely lovely. I had hoped for live music (says on the website they have solo guitar music on Friday nights) but the recorded music that played was perfect and added to the ambiance. The food was delicious. My friend had the veal dish and I had the monkfish and mussels dish and both were very flavorful and filling as well. There's an interesting dessert menu and we tried the house Portuguese red table wine which wasn't bad either. All in all, a lovely place that I would like to return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.