Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder
1101 Walnut St.
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.riograndemexican.com/boulder
- Phone: 3034443690x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch
A word from Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder
Step away from the Pearl Street Mall and escape to the Rio – for a little weekend spirit every day of the week. The Boulder Rio is seriously good, whether you’re bringing the family for dinner or just bringing your thirst for a good time on our rooftop patio(rooftop reservations can not be guaranteed).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant - Boulder reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (31)great for outdoor dining (30)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (17)neighborhood gem (16)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (9)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (7)special occasion (7)late-night find (7)romantic (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- we love the Rio margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2013we love the Rio margaritas and fun scene. also glad you can get reservations.Special Features:
- Great for a Sunny Boulder DayurbandinerDined on 4/26/2013This was our best trip to the Rio in a long time. The food was hot, delicious and the service was ontime. We sat in the 'garage' portion up near the street but on street level. It was a nice day and you could see the mountains in the distance. The Rio is our college-age daughter's favorite Boulder location to be with her friends and we return again and again to enjoy the food, fun and being with them. The Rio is particularly fun for a group of people with plenty to share.Special Features:
- We love the Rio! The foodSallieDined on 4/20/2013We love the Rio! The food is not the best Mexican in town, but the drinks, service, and atmosphere can not be beat. We have a great time every time!Special Features:
- OkaytollhouseDined on 4/12/2013It was a good place to take our son and a few of his college friends. But Boulder has so many great restaurants so given where it's located, I only rated it as average. The food was fine...everything tasted good for what it is (texmex), but nothing special or particularly interesting. We did have to wait about 20 minutes to be seated even though we had reservations which could be a problem if you don't have the time. The server then seemed rushed...they were busy so I guess they were anxious to get people in and out. All in all, it was fine for our group that night, but not something I would go out of may way to visit. If want mexican style food, I think Zolo Grill is nicer and more relaxing.
- Excellent food. Chile relleno,wayneVIPDined on 4/7/2013Excellent food. Chile relleno, chicken fajitas and pork burrito were all excellent. The salsa is fresh an hot. Margaritas pack a punch. Great roof top bar with outstanding view of Flagstaff and the Flatirons. Worth going.Special Features:
- Given that our reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Given that our reservation was at 6:15pm and was not seated until 45 minutes later we had a wonderful time. The management was aplogetic,and kept us abreast as to why there was no table for us. To give the Rio a chance it was VERY busy and one of our 1st picture perfect days here in Colorado.Special Features:
- Bones in kids meal....Anne123VIPDined on 3/27/2013The location is perfect, service was great and food had a great taste. However I found a very sharp bone in the kids burrito! Luckily I took I bite from my daughters plate and found the bone. It would've been very dangerous if she had taken that bite! I spoke to the waiter who promptly send the manager. He was very polite and apologized, however I still believe it is something that should've not happened, specially an item from the kids menu.
- Love this place! Great margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/16/2013Love this place! Great margaritas and food and it is right in the middle of the action in Boulder! Can't wait for the rooftop to be open in the Spring.Special Features:
- Thank you. It was great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013Thank you. It was great food and drinks. Service was great as well as we ended up having more people than anticipated and they welcomed everyone. The going away party could not have worked out better anywhere else. Will certainly use this location again. Reserving online is the only way to go. It was seamless and all went so well. I am very pleased once again with the Rio!!!!Special Features:
- Alwas good!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013One of our favorites, always great food and great service!Special Features:
- Great food! Great service.luvtoeatoutDined on 2/23/2013Great food! Great service. Loved the margaritas and guacamole:)Special Features:
- Cute and CozyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013Very delicious! So glad it's back. The new location is a bit small, tables are close together and if it's cold out make sure you are not seated near the front. Otherwise worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hadn't been to the Rio inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013I hadn't been to the Rio in about 10 years and all I remembered was the Margaritas. We had dinner there for my son's birthday and it was delicious, I was very pleasantly surprised!
- Great time, Excellent waiter!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Great time, Excellent waiter!!!! Excellent food, excellent drinks!!! I will always bring my out-of-town guests to the Rio. Plus, will eat there with my family frequently. I have been eating at the Rio for past 18 years, the service was better than ever with my relatives this past time! We all had a blast!! The Rio is a real Boulder Gem!!! There is not another Mexican restaurant with such great food in town! Constant, not bothersome attention from our waiter, and other helpers throughout our dinner. Best dining experience in Boulder! My relatives were very impressed!! The BradfordsSpecial Features:
- Rio Grande is fun and energeticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Rio Grande is fun and energetic - I always get the Guacamole tostada and am never disappointed.Special Features:
- The food is good and the margaritasTerraBrasilisDined on 2/11/2013The food is good and the margaritas are the best! Its a fun , friendly animated restaurant.Special Features:
- The Rio is always a successOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013The Rio is always a success because of their margaritas, they are strong and moderately priced. The food is decent and what you would expect from a chain Mexican restaurant. The atmosphere is great for a group of friends meeting up for drinks and it is also enjoyable for families.Special Features:
- Food was fine. My husbandcathyDined on 2/9/2013Food was fine. My husband really liked his baked chile rellenos (?sp) and I liked it too when I had his. He also loved his house margarita- he usually doesn't get the house but he says theirs is one of the better house ones in Boulder. Other food was okay though kids portion was very small (perhaps a just turned 9 year old is too old for kids menu). The Nachos were smallish and had too much lettuce which tended to make it cold and somewhat soggy. They seated our party of 4 at a small booth where we didn't fit too well but moved us when we asked. I would go again and just choose better (get the chile rellenos or the chicken fajitas; veggie ones I got didn't have enough onions and peppers needed more cooking; and get the house margarita).Special Features:
- Margaritas were great as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/6/2013Margaritas were great as always. Food was not near as good as it has beenin the past.
- Good Food service could be improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2013Food was good but the waitress we had was horrible. She forgot our appetizer, then it took her forever to refill our drinks and we had to stop another waiter to fill our water glasses. Then it took us almost 20 min. to get our food, which we thought was unusual. Then after we got our food our waitress never asked us how our meal was. Not the best experience but fun and we will return and try it again!Special Features:
- LaurenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013I love the Rio. Coming from Texas, it has always been hard to find authentic Mexican food in Boulder. The Rio hits the spot every time. Great Happy Hour and a great overall environment. The queso is to die for.Special Features:
- EXPENSIVE!! they have yetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013EXPENSIVE!! they have yet again raised their price of their margs. What was already overpriced @ $6.50 for the volume and quality of tequila (Jose Cuervo) used they have now rounded that up to $7.00. Their margaritas are good don't get me wrong, but for $7.00 you might as well go down the street and get a 'premium' margarita made with patron or don julio for the same price but a better tequila. I also feel like the food is overpriced for what you get. I have been a long time customer (6+ years now) and i have over the years watched their prices go up without quality or quantity changing. I know the economy isn't the same as it was 2-3 years ago but last I checked Jose Cuervo is still bottom rung of the tequila ladder. Raise $ raise quality!
- Excellent margaritas! FantasticSharonaVIPDined on 1/17/2013Excellent margaritas! Fantastic fish tacos! Scrumptious spinach enchiladas! We loved it and will be back! Also, the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- BEST margs EVER! ConsistentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012BEST margs EVER! Consistently good quality of food, served hot. Speedy service. Buzzin' atmosphere. Recommend the chiles rellenos. Light and flaky sopapillas. Aromas, mmmm. Did I mention BEST margs EVER?
- Thanks to Open Table for helpingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2012Thanks to Open Table for helping me make reservations on my cell phone, while watching an exciting basketball game at the same time! Reservations were easy to do - and the responded perfectly.Special Features:
- The food was very good! TheAdamDined on 12/28/2012The food was very good! The green chili is HOT--just to my satisfaction; a bit too hot for my wife. We dined early--at about 4:45 PM. It wasn't very busy at the time, so we were disappointed that it took about 25-30 minutes for our food to be served. The wait staff's friendliness, however, was very good--very informative about the menu, too. Because of the time that we dined, the restaurant was quiet. I imagine on a busy Friday or Saturday night, it could be much more lively and loud. We'll go it again... maybe on a Friday or Saturday night!Special Features:
- The Rio is noted for theirBikeRider41VIPDined on 11/30/2012The Rio is noted for their Margs. They are great. The Tex Mex food, though not as good as other places, is still heads up better than many other places. It is just fun to go here. This was the first time I made reservations for them. Thank you Open Table, since the wait at the RIO can be very, very long. Fun PlaceSpecial Features:
- we always enjoy the Rio.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2012we always enjoy the Rio. The food and the margs are delicious. We also love that you can make a reservation now. We are not into waiting long periods of time to eat! thanks,Special Features:
- thank you for the great 2OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2012thank you for the great 2 tables very accommodating when we needed to add another small tableSpecial Features:
- Service was quick and friendly.FloridaFoodieDined on 11/2/2012Service was quick and friendly. The margaritas were fabulous!Special Features:
- Wonderful weekend lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/27/2012Excellent food and great service. We sat in the front room (I think they call it the garage because of the door set-up, and it was a bit warm. But not too uncomfortable. The food is some of the best mexican food ever! And our server was very attentive but not overbearing. Quick to recommend things for those of us having trouble deciding.Special Features:
- Great dinner after CU footballredraterDined on 9/29/2012Great dinner after CU football game family weekend. We had made a reservation and were seated immediately despite quite a large crowd waiting for tables. Our server was great. Food arrived promptly and the margaritas lived up to their reputation. We will definitely add Rio Grande to our Boulder favorites list.Special Features:
- The tried-and-true Rio GrandeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012The tried-and-true Rio Grande is always a good option for casual dining. I was with a group of three other friends and we all enjoyed our entrees and drinks. It was hard for us to hear one another because we were seated by two large groups of happy, noisy teens who were off to a dance. But, we've had many enjoyable meals at Rio Grande -- in Boulder, Denver and Ft. Collins.Special Features:
- The original RIO ( On PearlOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2012The original RIO ( On Pearl ) in Boulder was no larger than a most people's kitchen. A 2 Hour wait on the weekends. Guess what I waited every time. Now Bigger, same awesome food and service, sometimes a wait, but authentic salsa , chips , food... If You want a real margarita that has no fake Sweet and sour mix, this is your place. See most people go for the Margs, but this is a whole package. PS while you are enjoying your last famous marg, Look up the flat Irons and try to spot the 5 star Flagstaff Restaurant restaurant. For the money "The Rio" wins every time! And guess what I have eaten at the Flagstaff House about 8 times. As far as the flagstaff you have to go at least once in your life time. Extraordinary!Special Features:
- Our table was ready even duringOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2012Our table was ready even during peak Friday evening hours! Made my bday special. Great food too!Special Features:
- This is the second time IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012This is the second time I have planned a large group dinner at The Rio Boulder. During each of these dinners the staff was very unfriendly and acted annoyed every time we asked for something. I thought I would give it another try this last weekend and was again very disappointed.
- Noisy. You really go thereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2012Noisy. You really go there for Margs, chips and salsa; the food is fine not great. If not, you can find much better cuisine.Special Features:
- Bob and I have been regularsBoulderMomDined on 8/24/2012Bob and I have been regulars at The Rio for many years. He's managed to concoct a Margarita that is a very fair imitation of the Rio Margarita (yum!). We need to start experimenting with a Big Tex recipe, those are really tasty! We're tickled to find it on Open Table!Special Features:
- Great that they now take reservatioOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2012Great that they now take reservations, and not just call aheads!Special Features:
- Excellent fresh Tex-MexMmmgoodDined on 8/4/2012We were initially put off because of the way it looked when we walked in: wall-to-wall scenesters in the bar, waiters rushing past with big trays of margaritas, etc. So we were expecting fake Tex-Mex. But we were very pleasantly surprised. The chips were warm and fresh, salsa was peppery and tasted homemade, guacamole was served with lashings of fresh cilantro, pico de gallo and queso blanco on the side. Two of us were vegetarian and ordered a roasted veggie quesadilla and veggie fajitas. All of it was consumed enthusiastically. One of us ordered the mahi-mahi tacos with some trepidation (1000 miles from the nearest ocean!), but they were unbelievably good. We were particularly impressed with the speed of the service, given the crowd.Special Features: