Michelle's On Market Square
10 Market Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
Michelle's On Market Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://michellesonmarketsquare.com/
- Phone: 6034278253
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Provencal
- Executive Chef: Scott Massidda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Michelle's On Market Square
Closed Monday and Tuesday. Open for dinner Wednesday-Sunday. Open for brunch Friday-Sunday 9-2pm. Please call us if you have any questions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Michelle's On Market Square - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Michelle's On Market Square reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (14)great for brunch (11)romantic (10)scenic view (8)great for lunch (5)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Special Place!ExeterCoupleDined on 8/15/2013My husband and I just had dinner here for the first time this week and we will definitely be going back! Fabulous owners who are personable and provide excellent service and food. The host, Bob, was the most delightful person and so sweet. Genuine people, delicious food and lovely ambiance. Highly recommend! Best dinner out in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny Sunday brunchAroundthepondDined on 8/11/2013After perusing some reviews online, we booked brunch here(we were big fans of Bella Luna a few years ago in the same spot) The bloody Mary's were delicious--just the right amount of tart and spice-YUM! I had the seafood crepes--delicious, perfectly cooked shrimps and scallop-very light on lobster(specks really)- the sauce was very tasty as were the mushrooms. My husband had a scallop and pasta dish which he enjoyed. It is pricey (sides 4-6 dollars each) but we wanted a treat and we really enjoyed our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Anniversary BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2013My wife and I had an Anniversary brunch at Michelle's. They sat us on the second floor at a window overlooking the beautiful town of Portsmouth. We started with Bellinis to toast our 1 year. Great start! The service was excellent and Michelle paid us a visit to chat about the menu and welcome us. My wife had the seafood crepes they were succulent . A large scallop and a few jumbo shrimp sat on top, they were filled with some lobster and mushroom, a truly great dish.. I had the lobster Benedict, it was a great choice. The lobster was fresh and the hollandaise was greatly balanced. The potatoes were also perfect. A great spot I would definitely recommend!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love!14BgirlsDined on 8/4/2013my 3 college roommates and i came here for brunch for a little college reunion of sorts. we had a great time! all of the staff we encountered were smiling, cheerful and so enthusiastic...it was great! the food was delicious and the mimosas...perfect! we all loved it and can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Discovery in PortsmouthOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2013Found this great spot while in Portsmouth on the weekend. Saturday's supper was so good we went back for brunch on Sunday and it was outstanding. All three of us thoroughly enjoyed each meal there. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second verse, better than the firstbenwaVIPDined on 8/3/2013This was our second time at michelles and it was better than the first. All dishes were great. Onion soup the best . We will stop for lunch on our way back from Maine,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four of us were in PortsmouthOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2013Four of us were in Portsmouth for 3 nights and had dinner at Wellington Room, Black Trujmpet, and Michelle's. We all thought Michelle's was super, Wellington's very good, and Black Trumpet a disappointment.Special Features:
- Unusual experiencedctourDined on 7/31/2013We'd heard good things about the food at Michelle's. There was no one else there yet. The host chatted a way, sharing personal details that eventually began to make us uncomfortable. Plus we wanted time to visit with each other, and he lingered on.Then Michelle arrived and introduced herself as our server for the evening, and she, too, shared quite a bit, all of which took time. We told them we were going to an event at 7 early on in our conversation, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Our meals arrived at 6:30 and we had to shovel them in, ask for our check, and bolt. Food was delicious, but expensive. We probably will not go back as the whole experience just felt...odd.Special Features:
- Michelle's on market squareOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2013Nice location and view of market square. Easy to get a reservation. Food was very good. Friendly and attentive staff. I would recommend this restaurant. Short walk from any parking garage.
- Not so great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2013Good service. Food tasted like came prepackaged and then was overlooked. Beet salad excellent.
- Outstanding foodJaniceDined on 7/6/2013Michelle's is located in the heart of Portsmouth overlooking Market Square, such a vibrant scene. Michelle's feels likes a neighborhood gem restaurant, quaint and the staff are friendly. For the quality of the food and price this restaurant is the best in Portsmouth.Special Features:
- great food, great ambianceJohnTVIPDined on 7/3/2013Michelle's is a place where Michelle comes to your table to personally make sure your dining experience is up to par. Very hospitable and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelle's on the squareToastDined on 6/30/2013Excellent service, fine food ( brunch ). We took a bunch of Belgian Teenagers ( foodies) and thay loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCantabrigianVIPDined on 6/29/2013Had the wild mushroom and poached egg appetizer -- simply amazing. Entree: the Provencal seafood which was excellent; I was particularly impressed by the texture of the unusually shaped pasta, which I expect was a challenge to get to exactly the right firmness. The blend of flavors was deft and had a lightness entirely appropriate to a summer's day. My date said the French onion soup was excellent and the beef Bordeaux melt-in-your-mouth. We were both extremely pleased with the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseJoeNHDined on 6/28/2013Both my wife and I had different seafood meals. They were prepared in distinctively different manners and were excellent! The accompanying vegetables were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific meal, great staff!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013First restaurant I have been to in quite sometime where I was treated like they were actually glad to see us. Service was excellent a d friendly all the way around. The owner even took time to stop by. Can't say enough about Trevor (bartender). Add a trul great meal and we enjoyed it all. Definitely will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packing us inOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/12/2013We went to Michelle's for Mother's Day. We made a reservation weeks in advance. In effort to cram guests in, they sat us in the back, by the bar. It was noisy and we felt we were part of the staff as they were chatting and hanging out by the bar. Two small tables were pushed together against the wall for our party, making it hard to sit and be comfortable. The tables were uneven and it was just simply inappropriate. To top it all off, the food wasn't great. Very disappointed.
- Memorable dining moment at MichelleGIgiVIPDined on 5/11/2013What a wonderful evening! The food was fantastic, as was the wine. The service, however, surpassed it all. We were a party of 5 with two children. Staff couldn't have been more gracious and attentive, even to the point of putting our Mother's Day bouquets in water while we dined! Salmon was best I've ever had and chocolate pot de creme was divine. Cannot wait to return to Michelle's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much potential!SaraDined on 5/11/2013This restaurant is in a great location! The food was excellent! I was expecting alittle more class. When greeted at the door I found it had more of a pub atmosphere,very relaxed alittle too relaxed for me and my party. Due to that introduction I don't believe I will return. Also I just found it had no ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG! The 18 0z. Steak FritesJANDKVIPDined on 4/28/2013OMG! The 18 0z. Steak Frites dish is spectacular! Great night was had at this "most excellent" Portsmouth, NH dining establishment.Special Features:
- Large portions for entreesnicknameDined on 4/27/2013Large portions for entrees and excellent apps that change seasonally. This was my first time and I would go again.
- Wonderful experience . BringsNotAGoodExperienceDined on 4/27/2013Wonderful experience . Brings a little Provençal France to Portsmouth. Do not confuse this with a French bistro. Tres magnifique !Special Features:
- Classic French country. TheRandyDined on 4/26/2013Classic French country. The cassulet was very good, but not traditional. The mushroom/poached egg appetizer was delicious as was the onion soup. The seafood/pasta dish lacked some flavor, but seafood was cooked perfectly. Our waitperson was very attentive and personable. The wine list included a large variety of wines by the glass. Our table overlooked the street below and was a great place to people watch. We are looking forward to going back to try other selections.Special Features:
- Attentive service, flexibleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2013Attentive service, flexible kitchen, excellent food. The only issue we had was the potato side for the salmon came from the kitchen cold, twice.Special Features:
- BoringchakronVIPDined on 4/19/2013We had the salad with beet starter, followed by main courses of salmon with goat cheese and cassoulet with lamb and boar sausage. The cassoulet was under-seasoned, the lamb was overcooked, and it was generally quite boring. The salmon was better, but no more than "fine" rather than much good. The salad with beet was actually decent. The portions were quite sizeable and it was not inexpensive ($140 incl tip for 1 starter, 3 main courses, 2 glasses of wine)...and I speak as a Manhattan resident who not infrequently visits Portsmouth. They would do much better to reduce the size of portions and pay rather more attention to the quality of the food. I would not return.
- Went to Michelle's duringOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Went to Michelle's during Portsmouth Restaurant Week and their whole menu was available. The food was amazing!Special Features:
- Six of us went on a Sat. duringOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Six of us went on a Sat. during restaurant week and and had an excellent time. Our food ranged from very good to excellent, I would liked to have given the food 4.5 stars if avaiable. Drinks were inventive and very tasty. The waitstaff was outstanding. Can not say enough good things about our waiter, Bill. We would ask for him the next time we go. This was our first time at this restaurnant, and we all said we would definitely return. Just make sure you make reservations. We saw no less than 4 sets of people turned away because they were full.Special Features:
- This was my third time atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2013This was my third time at the restaurant and it was just as good as the previous times. Everyone at my table loved their meals.Special Features:
- Seriously understaffed forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2013Seriously understaffed for restaurant week... We were told the bartender was also a server and he had 6 tables to serve. One mixed drink, one bottled beer and one bottled of wine took over 20 minutes to be served upon our arrival. This was after a 5 minute wait for our server.
- Special among the manyLobsterDined on 4/6/2013The restaurant is clean though some attention needs to be paid to the rug on the stairs When full the noise level is somewhat distracting. Table size is adequate, clean & set well Our server Derek was pleasant & had a good knowledge of the wine list & food preparation . Although we did have to ask for the bread service. Food preparation was exactly as ordered & the presentation was pleasing. Management at Michelle's is perhaps the best in town, friendly, genuine & caring. Many restaurant in Portsmouth serve good food, Michelle's take that extra step & adds the love that comes through to all its guests making the dining experience truly special.Special Features:
- We decided to try Michelle'sluv2eatoutDined on 4/6/2013We decided to try Michelle's for the first time during restaurant week because for $29.95 per person, we were told, we could pick any appetizer/salad, entree, and dessert off their regular menu. This meant trying a new expensive restaurant at a lower price. This is a good deal at Michelle's. I had the lobster salad, seafood Provençal & chocolate/raspberry bread pudding, all of which were excellent! My husband had an unusual concoction with mushrooms & poached egg appetizer, rib eye that doesn't' appear on the regular menu, & spice cake. Note that dessert choices for restaurant week are much more limited than normal menu! Wines are expensive, with cheapest at $38, but we got a very good Sangiovese. Server was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2013I went here for my anniversery on a Tuesday night. We had the crab stuffed portabella mushrooms, which were fantastic! Both of our meals were delicious and the service was fantastic. They were trying out some new menu items so the chef came by to ask what we thought of the food, which I thought was a nice touch. Overall we were not dissapointed and would like to come back and try brunch!Special Features:
- Easter Brunch at Michelle'sHigsDined on 3/31/2013Great location in the heart of Portsmouth. We had a great experience all around! Kari was a very tentative server and the food was excelent. We will definately go back for dinner soon.Special Features:
- Can be a bit pricey - $10trolleymanDined on 3/31/2013Can be a bit pricey - $10 for a sliver of a lemon tart for desert - but the food is very good. William is very attentive as your server.Special Features:
- We went to Michelles for EasterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013We went to Michelles for Easter Sunday brunch for the first time. We loved it so much, can't wait to go back for a romantic evening meal. We had seats upstairs overlooking Market Street, I felt as though we were in Europe. My boyfriend had the seafood crepes which looked delicious, he raved about them. I had salmon which was cooked perfectly. I would recommend anyone that appreciates a quaint spot with excellent food choices to try this restuarant! The staff was terrific as well, how could I forget to mention that. One other footnote, we had reservations for 11am and they seated us immediately when we walked in at 10:55.Special Features:
- We went for brunch and theMMDUNNVIPDined on 3/17/2013We went for brunch and the food options were amazing. They had a great spin on the classics such as eggs benedict with filet mignon or lobster. YUM! We all loved our meals. It was a bit pricey but well worth it. The restaurant was cute and fit a large group of us on a saturday. The location is downtown and walking distance from shopping and hotels. The bloody mary's were to die for! The service was super friendly.Special Features:
- We sat upstairs. It was aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013We sat upstairs. It was a nice dining experience. Glad that we finally tried it.Special Features:
- I went to Michelle's on aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2013I went to Michelle's on a date and was pleasantly surprised when they were able to seat us an hour earlier than our reservation time. The table was small and in a kind of busy hallway area, but we were hungry and didn't mind too much. Our waitress was excellent and was on top of our drinks. The food took a while but it was worth the wait. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Dinners here have always beenFireballVIPDined on 3/3/2013Dinners here have always been very good with friendly, attentive service. The menu offers a variety with delicious salads and apps. A small bar is on the 2nd floor with most of the dining area.Special Features:
- Great date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013My husband took me to Michelle's for my birthday dinner. The food was FABULOUS!! It's a little tight dining right beside your neighboring tables. But the atmosphere is energetic and fun. Not a place for children. It was a great night!Special Features: