Michelle's On Market Square
10 Market Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
Michelle's On Market Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://michellesonmarketsquare.com/
- Phone: 6034278253
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Provencal
- Executive Chef: Scott Massidda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Michelle's On Market Square
Closed Monday and Tuesday. Open for dinner Wednesday-Sunday. Open for brunch Friday-Sunday 9-2pm. Please call us if you have any questions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Michelle's On Market Square - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Michelle's On Market Square reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (15)romantic (10)great for brunch (10)scenic view (8)great for lunch (4)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Valentine's Brunch at Michelle'sVeeeDined on 2/15/2014Went to Michelle's for brunch this Saturday. Had a Bloody Mary that was a meal in itself and sooooo good! Also had to have the grits - creamy, cheesy, grits! We were a party of four and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Memorable ValentinesSarahDined on 2/14/2014Loved the ambiance here! What a great restaurant! The food was delicious and the service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spotTenaftertenVIPDined on 2/8/2014Quaint small city venue with friendly service and good food. Window table upstairs was a little tight and although they didn't have my brand of vodka, everything else was nice with the possible exception of some political loud talkers. Why is it that the least interesting people in the world have the loudest voices?Special Features:
- from start to finish thisRICHDined on 2/8/2014from start to finish this is atop restaurant. I plan to return. The server was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Portsmouth RestarauntSarahODined on 2/7/2014This place NEVER disappoints. Every time we come here we are so very pleased with the service and the wonderful meal. Best thing to get is the French onion soup. Best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly ExcellentJamesPDined on 1/24/2014No matter when we go to Michelle's dinner or brunch on weekends we experience nothing less than great service, great food and an upbeat & warm attitude from bus staff to the owners. 4 Star!!!!! An absolute GEM in Portsmouth - a city know for exceptional dining!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/19/2014We went to Michelle's for brunch. The food was very good. The service was a little slow, but we did have a large party. The staff was friendly & helpful. I would return & would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite ImpressiveScottDined on 1/10/2014This was my first time there. My wife and I went with a couple. We were very impressed. The food is creatively done. Everything tasted great. There was a nice selection of cocktails, beer, and wine. The desserts were some of the best I've had in a long time. The waiter was conversational and helpful. The ambience was top-notch. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Needs to update menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2014We have been to Michelle's several times over the last couple of years and have always been happy. But they haven't changed their menu in a long time (two years), there was literally no one there (but it was extraordinarily cold out and a Friday night), we didn't have proper wait service and the food just wasn't that good. We want outstanding when we go out - after babysitter expenses and dinner costs, we'd like our experience to be more memorable.Special Features:
- Only okOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013Cassoulet was dry and had way too much bread on top. Cheese plate was boring and offered only one type of cracker.Special Features:
- Feels comfortableGrdnritaVIPDined on 12/31/2013I love Michelle's. You are treated like a guest of the family as soon as you walk in. Food is always great. Travis the bartender/ server is a gem. Owners check in and chat. We love it!Special Features:
- Charming spotLizCDined on 12/28/2013We requested a table for two at the window overlooking the square. Very enjoyable ambience, service was pleasant and food was very good! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningboilermakerpeteDined on 12/28/2013Steak and seafood were beautifully cooked and presented. Excellent wine, quiet and romantic. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelle's a GemPortpairDined on 12/28/2013Best Sunday brunch in a town with lots of competition. Not the routine breakfast menu. Some real special items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service makes the mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2013Good service is often the linchpin of a good dining experience, and the service at Michelle's was top notch. I was dining alone, which often means the staff gives you little or no attention. Not true here where the server was attentive and helpful with everything from menu suggestions to shopping tips. The intimate dining spaces facilitated table to bar conversation (the server was also the bartender) and the second floor view onto the square meant there was plenty to look at, Coffee was good and served in a huge cup, obviating the need for frequent refills. A bloody mary was spicy, but nice and seafood crepes tasty, although the texture of the lobster meat was a bit spongy. Overall, a veryngood choice for brunch in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelles RocksTRex86Dined on 12/14/2013Charming addition to downtown Portsmouth. We had the good fortune to dine during a lovely snowstorm seated in the bar upstairs with a view of the swirling snowflakes in the street lights. Friendly service; lovely ambiance; good drinks; good French-Mediterranean food. It's cozy and classy--a great place for a special meal or just to drop in for a cocktail. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great timesusieqDined on 12/7/2013We made a last minute reservation and they were able to accommodate us. The food was great as usual and the staff was friendly and personable. Our waiter was new and very personable. Service was a little slow, but we didn't mind because he was so nice. We always have a great experience at Michelle's and would recommend it for a nice dinner and the price is just right...not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and location good, service?DanHDined on 12/6/2013The food was very good. We had the beet salad and a special soup, followed by the Chevre Salmon and the Seafood Provencal. A bit heavy on the Chevre for the two dishes that had it, though. Service and seating were a bit weak. We were seated at a window table in the brightly lit bar, when a more appropriate window table was available in the main upstairs dining room. The bartender was watching some entertainment show - Honey Boo Boo? - with the volume up relatively loud, so that meant we were watching, too. There were no proper wine glasses, so when we ordered a bottle of wine it was initially served in a goblet. The bartender complained they were leaving all the glasses on unused tables when they were running short.Special Features:
- Warm and invitingRobertVIPDined on 12/4/2013Michelle's is ideally located at Market Sq. in downtown Portsmouth. French bistro style with fairly diverse menu featuring several classics. Warm and casual vibe. Great food, gracious and attentive staff. Wine list is limited but very creditable and appropriate for menu. Prices reasonable. We will definitely returnISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in PortsmouthOccassionalfoodcriticDined on 11/16/2013Michelle's was recommended to us for an anniversary dinner, I hadn't heard of it but we tried it anyway. We were pleasantly surprised at how delicious the was and enjoyed sitting on the first floor amid the hustle and bustle of the kitchen and the fun staff. Reminded me of dining in Europe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad table, hot foodNewmarketerDined on 11/16/2013We had been to this restaurant before and had a pleasant experience but this time was not so great. We ended up with the worst table in the restaurant despite booking early. A very small table right next to the entrance door where the entire restaurant staff congregated, chatted and new guests waited right in front of us. We ordered the Bouillabaisse and the Lamb&Wild Boar Cassoulet. The Bouillabaisse was good but the Cassoulet disappointed for several reasons. It was covered with fat soaked croutons that had turned completely soggy on the underside. The meat was tender but very plain tasting without seasoning. The dish was served in a hot cast iron bowl that kept it so hot that I had to wait about 10 minutes before I could start eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and New EnglandScruffleguyDined on 11/10/2013We were very early for our brunch reservation, but they were able to get a seat at the bar while we waited for our table to be ready. The bartender was prompt and courteous and made a great Bloody Mary. Not long after, our table came available. Our server got us coffee and beverages quickly. I ordered the shrimp and grits, which I highly recommend for a cool, fall day. The shrimp were tender (not rubbery) and the grits were creamy and seasoned perfectly. My wife and mother-in-law got the truffle eggs, which were also delicious and cooked to perfection! If you're looking for a quintessential New England restaurant with great service, food, and drinks, definitely try Michelle's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude Owner Michelle balks customersResidentDined on 11/9/2013Friends raved about Portsmouth's restaurants so we looked forward to having good food in stylish settings as we relocated from Washington D.C. to the Seacoast area. On Saturday, November 9, 1014, we visited Michelle's on Market Square for the 2nd time. We were sat without menus (had to take them off another table ourselves), ignored for over 15 minutes before being approached for drink orders, & left feeling shunned by the aggressive and unpleasant nature of the owner Michelle who passed by our table many times without any eye contact. I guess in Portsmouth location helps restaurants stay in business. Unfortunately, this restaurant's prices do not fit their uninviting local.
- Great Restaurant Week ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2013This has to be one of the quaintest restaurants in Portsmouth. We got a seat on the 2nd floor overlooking Market Square which was great. This is also one of the few places in all of New Hampshire that serve French food at a reasonable price. Our appetizers and meals were fantastic and I can't believe we didn't try this restaurant sooner. We'll definitely be back very soon. One of the most underrated restaurants in town!Special Features:
- Excellent food but poor servicesmileDined on 11/9/2013Excellent food but poor service this evening. Have been there before with great service. Will definitely go again in hopes that the service will be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch at a great location!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2013Love brunch at Michelle's. The food is delicious, the ambiance is wonderful and the staff is so friendly. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Been there several times before BUTNotAGoodExperienceDined on 11/2/2013I have been to this restaurant several times. Each time was a wonderful experience. With the exception of this passed weekend. The waiter, an older gentleman which was was sweating so much his entire shirt was soaked with sweat. (How nice) During dinner, the owner of the restaurant, was escorting/showing her friends the view outside the window that we were sitting at and proceeded to talk with her hands almost hitting our food and my wife in the face with her hands while talking. Shortly after that I see the owner again come over to the bar give the bartender a kiss. She was acting so weird/obnoxious that we had privately talked to each other when we left if she was actually drinking. Because she obviously wanted people to notice her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!14BgirlsDined on 11/2/2013This was my 2nd visit and it was just as good as the first! The staff are so entusiastic and clearly love what they do. We loved it and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic, theArthursmomDined on 10/31/2013The food was fantastic, the view for the Halloween parade was perfect. They should maybe add one or two more wait staff, but overall it was a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelylisalisaVIPDined on 10/20/2013Went here today for brunch. I had the Lobster Eggs Benedict and it was fabulous! The service staff were attentive and helpful. Coffee was plentiful. Menu was diverse with great breakfast and lunch offerings. Everything that went by looked delicious! Will definitely return : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCambridgianVIPDined on 10/19/2013Located at the heart of things, Michelle's is a fine restaurant. Unfortunately on the night we visited, they had one server absent and since the restaurant was full, service suffered, but they had a great attitude and terrific food. The atmosphere is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Special OccasionsBeasleymageeDined on 10/19/2013Excellent brunch! Best cheese grits north of Charleston. Yummmmmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Market Square2Peas1PodDined on 10/17/2013Lovely time at this French bistro. We sat upstairs overlooking Market Square. The food was delicious, the salad du jour, apple, cheese, warm walnuts, grape tomatoes, cucumbers and a balsamic reduction dressing. For entrees: The seafood provencal was delish, but fairly simple, pasta, leeks, tomatoes, parsley & various shellfish bathed in a butter/garlic/ white wine sauce. The lamb & wild boar cassoulet was very flavorful. Several pieces of the boar were on the tough side. I had hoped for super tender. Apple tart for dessert. The service was fine and prompt, though allowing us time to languish. Overall food, service and atmosphere were great, but the prices (especially the non-entrees), reflected the presumably high rent of the location.Special Features:
- WonderfulJLymanVIPDined on 10/12/2013Server was a little self-conscious. The space is awkward and a little noisy, but I don't know how you could fix it - it's a kind of weird, twisty space. But the food is absolutely incredibly good and well-worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome find!!KimonaDined on 10/12/2013Have eaten in Portsmouth before but had never eaten at Michelle's. We arrived STARVING on Columbus Day Weekend and would have expected a longer wait. We were seated in their upstairs area immediately, and within 5 minutes we were contentedly sipping excellent (spicy!) Bloody Marys and shortly after our food arrived. I had a country breakfast, and the sausage was the best I've ever eaten. It was served with a half portion of French Toast and was the perfect amount of food and flavors. I don't remember what my dining partner ate as I was engrossed with my own yummy plate. Excellent food and excellent experience!Special Features:
- Loved this place.RachaelDined on 9/22/2013I was iffy on Michelle's, based on some of the Yelp reviews... but decided to wing it. Parking was ample, both street, metered, and garage. I was greeted upon arriving and taken to my table where my friend was waiting. Our server, Travis, was fabulous: friendly, knowledgeable (had great recommendations from the menu) and adorable, to boot. The food was delicious. I had the scrambled eggs with salmon and goat cheese, over hash browns. A-MA-ZING. The Bloody Mary's were very good, and huge - a note, though: too much ice. Halfway through, the drink had mostly turned to water, so either drink up quick, or ask for just a little ice. My friend ordered the Lobster Benedict - also fantastic. I'd definitely go back, and plan on doing so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding andlisaVIPDined on 9/20/2013The food was outstanding and the owner was very friendly and welcoming. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This second visit was disappointingOTDinerVIPDined on 9/19/2013This second visit was disappointing. Waiter not good. They also told Open Table that we did not show. Hard to guess why since they knew our name when we arrived and there were only 3 tables of diners.
- Best mussells everHungrymanDined on 9/11/2013Good people, good food, great wine selection. I thought that Michelle's was a little pricey but could not argue with the quality of the meal I received. I thought the musssels we had as an appetizer was the highlight of the meal, possibly the best I've ever had. I would go back again for a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers to die for. FoodIpswichjimVIPDined on 9/6/2013Appetizers to die for. Food would have been five stars but my wife's stuffed pork dish with sugar plums and cashews was overdone and somewhat dry. Also great treatment of the asparagus with meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.