3 Doors Down
1429 SE 37th
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
3 Doors Down
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.3doorsdowncafe.com/
- Phone: 5032366886
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar 11:00 pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Marth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from 3 Doors Down
Inclusive from the moment you grace the doorway, 3 Doors Down has a keen acumen for speeding up your wind down, flipping the switch from maddening day to welcoming respite. A playful, thoughtful, and engaging dining experience begins with the dynamic wine list (including prosecco on tap and barrel to bar wines by the glass), flowing effortlessly to the inventive starters, big bowls of pasta and shellfish, perfectly grilled fish and meats and our spaghetti and meatball Sunday suppers. 3 Doors Down offers a doff of the hat to Mother Italy and a harmonious affair with locally procured Pacific Northwest and American cuisine. Come in, sit down, and eat! Reservations are for dining only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
3 Doors Down - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
3 Doors Down reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (34)special occasion (20)notable wine list (17)romantic (14)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (6)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great restaurantDe137eVIPDined on 10/31/2013Eaten here many times, always great food. They also have my favorite drink, a blood orange sour! Wait staff is very attentive and pleasant! I highly recommend. PS, Sunday is spaghetti and meatball night.Special Features:
- Right up ther with OXFoodieGuestDined on 10/26/2013From the cocktails, to the salads, main course, and finally dessert, all four of us were ecstatic with our meals. The dessert menu was so good that all four of us wanted our own dessert. We usually share. The radicchio salad with smoked pears was out of this world. My husband hadn't had a Tiramisu that good in years. Our waiter was a gem. We definitely will be going back.Special Features:
- Don't judge a book by its coverBeaujoladyVIPDined on 10/19/2013Walk inside of Three Doors Down and you are taken away by the beautiful ambiance. Everything from the gnocchi appetizer and the radicchio salad to the wine to the ground chicken pasta was sublime. A must do for you and a definitely will return for me. One other thing... the bar is fabulous for drinking but also for eating. WIde and smooth cooper top, it gave us the perfect spot to eat, sit close together and enjoy. Hooks under the bar make it easy to hang your bag and coat. TIl the next time!Special Features:
- Very nice place, a bit noisy.ifranka65VIPDined on 10/12/2013Very nice place, a bit noisy. Food was very good, will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely neighborhood gemRaincoastgirlDined on 10/11/2013Upon entering the door, my husband and I were greeted by several of the staff--all very welcoming. We were promptly seated and given attentive but not overbearing service. The menu here has many nice selections for carnivores and vegetarians alike. It's a cozy and romantic space that has good energy flowing throughout the bar area and restaurant, making it quite a vibrant scene. We like the neighborhood feel of 3 Doors Down and the food is thoughtfully prepared, nicely executed and delicious. Oh, and the yummy bread is served with housemade white bean dip, that is warm and unctious. A great way to begin the meal along with a glass of wine from their lovely wine list with selections from California/Oregon/Washington/Italy/France. Bon AppetitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 Thumbs up!JimnPaulVIPDined on 10/8/2013We always enjoy dining at 3 Doors Down. The food is always spot on. Our two favorite dishes are the brined pork chop and ricotta cavatelli pasta with bolognese. Service is always great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than the band!Paulsone12Dined on 10/4/2013Great place for date night. Really good friendly service. Comfortable space, busy on a Friday night but not super crowded. Menu has a nice variety. I would say that it was a little on the spendy side. I would go back and bring friends or family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the décor and vibe ofDaphneDined on 10/4/2013Loved the décor and vibe of the restaurant. Service was great and food delivered timely but not rushed. Portions were good sized with option to order smaller which was well received by the gals in the group of 6. Wine selection was very good. Would definitely recommend to friends and look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!TariVIPDined on 9/26/2013Our favorite neighborhood spot for a great dining experience. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous vodka sauce pasta!PDXPumpDined on 9/24/2013We had a wonderful dinner! Most of us got the vodka sauce pasta with sausage and were extremely happy with our choice. The service was kind, accommodating and all around fantastic. Great salads to start, wonderful fresh bread to begin...it was a lovely evening! We came on a Tuesday, and it was not crowded and very relaxing. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner!JandMDined on 9/20/2013Had a great dinner at 3 Doors Down. food was excellent - my entree came out wrong and our waiter had it fixed and back to me within a few minutes. Still a very noisy restaurant - but the food and service are great!Special Features:
- Not worth the $wonderwindypdxVIPDined on 9/20/2013The atmosphere here is nice, service is great....very friendly! The food however was not that great. I ordered the scallops, which were cooked to perfection but were swimming in a brown basil cream sauce that was too heavy, especially for scallops, and just too much. The salads we had were both nice but the pasta entree Bolognese was not very flavorful. Didn't particularly care for their drink special which was called mary ann something...a take on a Bloody Mary. Too sweet for us. Too many great restaurants in PDX, we won't be back here.Special Features:
- We had their wonderful chickendinerVIPDined on 9/14/2013We had their wonderful chicken liver pate followed by two pasta dishes. All were tremendous. We always get outstanding service at the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time family comes to town...SEResidentVIPDined on 9/13/20133DD is a must visit. Hands Down the best that the Hawthorne area has to offer. They manage both lively and romantic, and their food is unmatched.Special Features:
- Always perfectly consistent!swedebeeDined on 8/21/2013When I go out for dinner with close friends that I adore, we go here. The food is always perfect, the service is beyond compare, and the staff bend over backwards to make your evening just as perfect as they can. Our server brought wine tastes before we settled on our choice, he brought a soup sample to taste and when the steak was a little too blue, our server swiftly brought it to the kitchen and returned perfectly cooked and freshly replated. In all the years I have been coming in, I cannot recall an imperfect evening. This little gem if often overlooked for newer restaurants, but it really is one of the best in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/20133 Doors Down never fails to offer great food and service. This is a place you can feel comfortable bringing picky friends from out of town. My favorite is the pork chop. I believe it is brined - oh - so good. My husbands favorite is the seafood fra diavolo over pasta. And we always get the bibb lettuce salad - Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To die forLuluDined on 8/11/2013Run, don't walk to 3 Doors Down in August to order the pan-seared, grilled peach appetizer in an amazing sauce. Every bite is divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always on our top favorites listOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/10/2013Noise level is quite high,and the air-conditioning was a little extreme, but shawls were provided for those in need. That was a nice touch. It's a great SE neighborhood restaurant. We have never gone away disappointed., and have recommended it many times to friends. Our two favorite pasta dishes are: the" fresh prawns, sea scallops, mussels & clams in a traditional spicy fra diavolo sauce of plum tomatoes, chili flakes, kalamata olives, cherry peppers & fettuccine" and "the plum tomatoes, vodka, cream, chili flake & sweet italian sausage with tortiglione."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!cherylrcDined on 8/10/2013The wait staff at this restaurant are so nice and accommodating. I love it that they are fine with everyone sharing and that they even remember to provide serving utensils for the shared dishes. The pork chop entree was so amazing and the banana cream pie was unusual but extremely popular with our table. i am never surprised that this restaurant has lasted so long in such a fickle business.Special Features:
- The Chef and The BartenderHappyValleyDaveDined on 8/9/2013Have eaten here many times in the last few years and the cocktails (best Mai Tai ever for example), the food (pasta with sweet Italian sausage in red sauce is always excellent) and the genuinely friendly service are what keep me coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring a sweatereatdrinkyumVIPDined on 8/8/2013The experience was all right (Ben is an amazing waiter) but bring a sweater or two or four. Apparently their A/C has 2 modes, on or off. When it's on, the dining room is freezing; when it's off, the kitchen is sweltering. They do have a limited number of thin pashminas but can run out of them so there's no guarantee you'll get one.
- A gem, reviews don't match qualityozziepdxDined on 8/1/2013The first restaurant I ever dined at when I arrived in Portland 12 years ago, and it remains my favorite. While it never receives the buzz of the newest food find, the dinners here rival anything in Portland. Seasonal cocktails are highlighted. The pasta dishes could be the best in town but it's hard to get beyond the signature vodka pasta with spicy sausage - it's addictive. I've been disappointed with steaks at El Gaucho, but never here at a more reasonable price. The seafood is always top notch while salads and appetizers are fresh and plentiful. The steamed mussels or scallops are outstanding. Order the house made Banana Creme Pie with caramel, I truly believe it's the best dessert in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a little disappointedRB4775Dined on 7/20/2013Was a little disappointed since it was our 46th anniversary and I wrote it down on our reservation as well as telling our waitress and didn't receive a free dessert or anything.
- Steamer clam appetizer wasFoodzebuDined on 7/19/2013Steamer clam appetizer was outstanding. Brined Carlton Pork Chop was tender and delicious; accompanying green vegetables and mashed potatoes made the dish a generous comfort entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They consistently have a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2013They consistently have a great scallop appetizer and a really good fish entre.Special Features:
- Good food, good service. ConsistentdinerVIPDined on 7/6/2013Good food, good service. Consistent as always. Been coming here for years and we love it. Chicken liver pate is the best in town. Vodka sauce pasta is superb. Pork tenderloin and pork chops a regreat when they are on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't miss at 3 Doors DownOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2013While it may be very easy to miss since it's not right on Hawethorne, 3 Doors Down is worth the find. Food is always excellent and service is even better! I've never left anything but fully satisfied by the entire experience. Best tiramisu ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing appetizers, okay pastaiggleyDined on 6/23/2013We took two out-of-town guests here for the Dining Month special. The appetizers were incredible, 5 stars all the way. The lamb pasta had nice flavoring with a touch of mint in the light ragu, but the vegetarian pasta just wasn't very good. With fried capers, artichokes, and parmesan, it could have been incredible with a drier preparation, but it came in a salty broth, and we were very disappointed.Special Features:
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2013Our reservation was ready for us upon our arrival. Our male waiter was very informative on the food and beverages and the service was very good. The food was very good. The only negative comment was the noise level was high generated by fellow diners. However, we would certainly return to try different food dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- party of 6...eastsideeaterDined on 6/14/2013I know we were a loud bunch, and I appreciated how kind everyone was towards us regardless! it was a wonderful meal with fabulous service and great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reserved table 2 weeks inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2013reserved table 2 weeks in advance thru Open Table, requested window table and they sat us in back of room right by kitchen door. had to ask for window table - there were 2 tanles sitting un occupiedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JabekaDined on 6/12/2013Great spot for upscale dining, fun bar with bold stand out DRINK EAT DRINK. Happy hour specials and cocktail of the day on tap. Dinner was amazing; thick pork chop was memorable; tender seafood with pasta was outstanding, bread fresh and chewy with a white bean savory spread. Last minute reservation change landed us in the more open space at entrance; ambiance not quite the same as the main dining area, but we were happy to be seated on a busy Wednesday night. Recommended stop!Special Features:
- Great Food and Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/12/2013We each tried our the 3 course meal offered during June and both of us had a wonderful meal. Our waiter Jeff was courteous and knowledgeable and did not hover too much, but was always nearby if we needed himSpecial Features:
- Quality & ConsistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/20133 Doors Down remains a high-quality, neighborhood gem. The service is friendly and knowledgeable and the food is divine. The decor is very pleasing.Special Features:
- Yummy food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2013They were quite busy for early on a Saturday night, and it never let up while we were there. The food was quite yummy, and the service was great, just right. It was perfect for date night, it was not noisy, so one could hear who one was with. The food seemed fresh and was cooked well. They have creative cocktails and a great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above average food, great service,SicilianoDined on 6/8/2013The food was presented well and tasted good; however the lamb ragu pasta was overpowering with mint flavor. Not what I expected, but it did taste better once I realized that it was too much mint that was a miss in this dish. The eggplant caprese was good, but needs to be seasoned more. The cannoli were well done desserts (not quite to Sicilian grandmother standards) but they need to drain the ricotta more to get a thicker, creamy, less liquified texture. Service was great. Wine list was agreeable, but inside was too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food off HawthorneRebeccaVIPDined on 6/7/2013The halibut was amazing, cooked to perfection and the starters and pasta were great. The canoli is the best in town and the wine options are pretty good from solid budget wines to special occasion wines.Special Features:
- WonderfulTimKDined on 6/1/2013Great food and wine. We very much enjoyed dining at 3 Doors Down. Wonderful attention to detail. They helped us order a wine that fit our tastes and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningDe137eVIPDined on 6/1/2013Wonderful food and drinks (try the blood orange sour) . Limited sidewalk seating but great for people watching. Food is yummy! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatsdmay44Dined on 5/26/2013We have been going here for years and they continue to create super interesting and high quality small plates. They do offer a few main courses, but we prefer to order about 2 small plates per person for all to share and get such wonder variety for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.