855 Main Street
Pleasanton, CA 94566Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.handlesgastropub.com/
- Phone: 9253996690
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
DInner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Brian Hampton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Handles is proud to offer catering services for more information please call or visit our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Handles Gastropub has private meeting and event space for rent as well as a beautiful outdoor patio. We are the perfect venue for your next event.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Ritterbush 9253996690
- Entertainment: Handles is proud to offer nights of live music & entertainment. Check out our website for our events calendar.
A word from Handles Gastropub
Handles Gastropub at the historic Pleasanton Hotel. Our gastropub is a unique combination of a traditional public house (think your favorite watering hole) that serves high quality food. The menu is seasonal, ingredient driven American comfort food with an emphasis on all natural meats, poultry and fish with fresh, local produce. The public house will feature 30 craft beers and 16 local wines on tap. Your favorite cocktails will also be available.Continued
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Handles Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Our waitress made us feelMelanieVIPDined on 5/6/2012Our waitress made us feel rushed and had to be asked to bring drinks, etc all thrughout the meal. When we received the bill, we realized she never brought us the second drink one of our guests had ordered or coffee we requested.Special Features:
- It was fine.........nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2012It was fine.........nothing special. Sent food back for a re-heat, but overall it was fine!Special Features:
- Fun mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/22/2012There was 7 of us. We sat out side and it was perfect.Special Features:
- Wonderful place, love theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/22/2012Wonderful place, love the patio, great ambience & a good wine & beer selection but service is consistently terrible! Had to ask for the kid’s menu 4 times & were finally told that they hadn’t printed any that day. Every drinks order took forever to arrive & the kids drinks were brought in glasses & we had to ask for plastic kids cups which took 20 mins before they finally materialized. Our food was very slow, & one of the kids had to wait another 15 mins before their meal came out. Lastly the kids’s meals came with ice-cream but they had to wait 20 mins & 3 reminders later before receiving it. I really want to ‘love’ Handles &for it to become a regular place for us visit, but the terrible service over shadows all the other good points!Special Features:
- I came here with my boys onbenhurDined on 4/19/2012I came here with my boys on a Thursday night. They wanted to watch the games so we had dinner in the bar/lounge area. Although it wasn't busy, we found ourselves waiting a good amount before our drinks order was taken, our food order was taken, etc. The food was just ok...about average for bar food. It seems like a good place to grab drinks and meet up with friends. Don't come here just for the food, though.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch was not a goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012Easter Brunch was not a good time to go to Handles. The staff seemed new or just inexperienced. Service inside was poor at best. The food was good, but for the price it seemed uninspired and average in its creativity. Hostess and server not good. Asked for outside, told no, because they had "other" reservations that got those tables, since we made our reservation "online" they didn't consider those as preferential as the direct ones...? What? Then we received barely decent service.Special Features:
- great balloon maker and funmemeDined on 4/8/2012great balloon maker and fun making cupcakes. prime rib was awesomeSpecial Features:
- The food was excellend, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2012The food was excellend, the only complaint was it was a brunch and the plates were not removed when we went back for seconds so at the end of the meal the table was piled with plates.Special Features:
- Fabulous for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 4/8/2012Brunch is definitely one of the best kept secrets! We've been several times - random Sunday, Mother's Day, Easter - every time the food has been fabulous! The ham is simply delicious and the hash is to die for! And the Handles Bloody Mary is definitely recommended!Special Features:
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2012The food was delicious and sevice excellent ... they went out of their way to make an off menu dessert (fresh fruit bowl)! The waiter was knowledgeable and helped with drink selections! I will go again!Special Features:
- Nice place to have a biteTrnrmomVIPDined on 3/18/2012Handles is located in the old Pleasanton Hotel, so the ambience is built in. While it was bustling when we walked in at 6 PM on a Sunday night, it was dead by the time we left. The food was pretty good, although they were out of the "Flights & Bites" which is their happy hour type offering - $5 for 3 beer tastes, $6 for 3 wines & $7 for 3 "bites". Our party had Kobe beef sliders, salmon salad, the soup of the day (bean & bacon), & a burger. It was all pretty tasty, but service a tad slow as servers were obviously sent home as the crowd dispersed. We'd return, but hope it was just a quiet night.Special Features:
- A little gem in PlesasantonNatalieDined on 3/10/2012We enjoyed ourselves at this little gem. Good solid food with a bit of polish to make it special (like the blue cheese burger, yummy). Located in the Pleasanton Hotel, it is nicely located in the heart of Pleasanton with easy walks along the vibrant downtown scene. Parking is easy and the relaxed and comfortable ambiance makes this a must return standard.Special Features:
- WOW and YUM!KristaVIPDined on 2/28/2012It's been a long time since I've been wowed in so many different categories by a restaurant. Our server was super knowledgeable (he rattled of the names of the local food purveyors and even knew why one of the beers was infused with nitrogen without having to check in with the bartender). Everything Handles serves is made on site, including the ketchup (which was delicious by the way). The sweet potato fries were amazing. The three cheese mac and cheese with pastrami was out of this world and the serving was beyond generous. Their handcrafted Handles Sun Bathed Blonde was also fantastic. The prices are great too. This was the first time I've ever even been to Pleasanton, so I was thankful we hit the restaurant jack pot our first time there!Special Features:
- It was decent overall. BeerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/25/2012It was decent overall. Beer and Wine were the highlights. The food was really just average. We were intrigued by the wine kegs/taps and that's what brought us here. Pretty neat idea for sure. I'd imagine that in the evenings, with music in the bar, Handles would be a lot more fun for adults.Special Features:
- Great place to have a casualOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/19/2012Great place to have a casual meal and drinks with friends. There were six in our party. It was the first time for all of us. We all agreed, entres were good, dessert was not so good. Will go again, but skip the dessert. Oh, and the guys loved the beer selection.Special Features:
- I was pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2012I was pleasantly surprised by this place. We went there on Valentines day with limited expectations and found the food to be great. Ambiance was super nice, service was fast and cost was reasonable. Its a new top favorite for us in Pleasanton!Special Features:
- Great Valentines menu. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Great Valentines menu. Service was very good. Clean. Pub looked great.Special Features:
- Interesting food choices.GinascucinaVIPDined on 2/11/2012Interesting food choices. Restaurant filled up fast for lunch on Saturday, we were glad that we made a reservation thru Open Table. Waitress were not as attentive as we would hope, we waited a good 10 mins after finishing meal before another waitress stopped our table and said that she should would send out waitress over. Employees are very nice and we enjoyed the table for 2 right in front of the fireplace!
- Definitely a neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 2/10/2012Definitely a neighborhood gem. One of those places we like to go to just hang with friends. The wine and beer selection is excellent. The meatloaf is consistently delicious. Can't wait for spring time - looking forward to Brunch coming back!!!Special Features:
- Buffalo Burger was amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/5/2012Buffalo Burger was amazing! Beef dip was a little dry and flavorless. Huge "on tap" list for beer and wine :-) Comfortable & inviting place, nice and open for larger groups, but intimate enough for a chill date night. Staff was very friendly. Will definitely go back for ambiance!Special Features:
- Burgers and sweet potato friesJennyVIPDined on 2/3/2012Burgers and sweet potato fries are good. Bread pudding is NOT
- The mac & cheese with bacondisappointedVIPDined on 1/31/2012The mac & cheese with bacon was COVERED in tasty, crispy bacon crumbles but the casserole itself was underseasoned and the pasta way overcooked. The salads were HUGE even the small ones. The drinks were large and strong. I'd definitely go back!Special Features:
- We had lunch at Handles forOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/29/2012We had lunch at Handles for 6 adults, and it was okay. food for fair-to-good, although I thought the menu was a little limited for a 'Gastro pub'. Service was fair; we had a used water glass on the table that the waitress kind of ignored. Prices were reasonable for the food. Not a great experience, but, not bad. I'll probably give it another try, especially when I can try some of the beer menu.Special Features:
- The food was extremely salty;OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/28/2012The food was extremely salty; all 6 dinners complained about that; each had different meals.
- Food was great. Awesome localOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2012Food was great. Awesome local beer and wine selection. Kitchen was a little slow, but this place is a great value and outstanding setup. The dinning room side is very comfortable with a moderate noise level and the bar side can get "energetic." Will absolutely be back!
- Disappointed they didn't recognizeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2012Disappointed they didn't recognize my friend's 75th birthday as noted on my reservation.Special Features:
- Unexpected Pleasant Surprise!ArmoPrincessVIPDined on 1/4/2012Took the team to Handles expecting the usual salad/burger menu, but was happily surprised by the delicious meals served. Smoked meats, meat loaf, and beer and wine samplers were highlights.Special Features:
- My husband and I had reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011My husband and I had reservations for New Year's Eve. They had a great pre-fixe menu and the food was really good! I was pleasantly surprised. My only negative comment would be that at times I felt like we were being rushed through our dinner.Special Features:
- Handles never disappoints.CellarSnobVIPDined on 12/27/2011Handles never disappoints. I'm working my way through their menu and so far everything I've had has been good. A little messy - but good! This last visit was especially fun - rather then desert we sipped on Candy Cane Martini's. I highly recommend you try one.Special Features:
- Xmas lunchHappysmackerDined on 12/24/2011Everyone in our group seemed to enjoy their food. Reasonable price. Friendly setting. Hostess was attractive.Special Features:
- We made reservations assumingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/20/2011We made reservations assuming we were going to sit in the dining room on your right. Instead we were seated in the bar area.VERY LOUD CANNOT HEAR EACH OTHER LEFT WITH A HEADACHE. I had been told to go there will not do so if I have coice.Special Features:
- What a great new spot! We'reKristinVIPDined on 12/20/2011What a great new spot! We're so glad to see something in the Pleasanton Hotel!
- The turkey spinach salad wasdjshaferVIPDined on 12/18/2011The turkey spinach salad was really good, but the menu said it had grilled peaches which was intriguing, but it came with sliced pears instead. Not a huge big deal, but it would have been nice if our server told us there was a substitution. Also the poached eggs on the hash at our table were overcooked (too hard). But we had a great experience, great prices and we loved the atmosphere, so we'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Handles divides the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/16/2011Handles divides the restaurant into two sections: One is a sit-down restaurant seating that is quieter and will a more formal service staff. The other part is near the bar, with self seating, and a lot more bar noise. If you make reservations, you get seated in the more formal area. I wouldn't quite call the place "schizophrenic"... you have options. Quiet sit down, or lively bar food. Works for me.Special Features:
- Great concept, great beerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/9/2011Great concept, great beer selection... LOUSY service. Who sits at a bar and practically has to reach over the counter and grab someone to get a beer?
- Great selection of beer, niceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/9/2011Great selection of beer, nice bar, great ambiance, saw families dining - but with well behaved kids, food was delicious! This will become a regular spot for us!Special Features:
- Handles is a good value andGMarkDined on 12/9/2011Handles is a good value and has really good food across the board. Everything that hit our table was very tasty and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- The Shepard's Pie was deliciousLinWoVIPDined on 12/9/2011The Shepard's Pie was delicious I would go back just for this dish. I would recommend this restaurant for one who likes comfort food.
- We met friends for lunch andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/28/2011We met friends for lunch and had a very nice time. The food was great and large quantities. The menu is pub fare and my husband had a wonderful shepherd's pie. My fish & chips lunch was very good. There was no one to greet us when we arrived and we just took a seat at a table by the window. We were not rushed and were able to have a long lunch visit with our friends. It was a Monday but they were fairly busy. The bar area looked good and they have a large list of interesting beer selections. We would go back again. It is very casual and a bit noisy but a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Had the Kobe beef sliders,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/26/2011Had the Kobe beef sliders, yummy! Good pours on the drinks, too. Good service rounded out a pleasant experience (we were initially seated to a couple of noisy little kids, and the receptionists happily relocated us to a quieter table). High ceilings contributed to the "energetic" noise level and took away from the ambiance a bit. However, we'll go back often!Special Features: