855 Main Street
Pleasanton, CA 94566Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.handlesgastropub.com/
- Phone: 9253996690
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
DInner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Brian Hampton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Handles is proud to offer catering services for more information please call or visit our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Handles Gastropub has private meeting and event space for rent as well as a beautiful outdoor patio. We are the perfect venue for your next event.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Ritterbush 9253996690
- Entertainment: Handles is proud to offer nights of live music & entertainment. Check out our website for our events calendar.
A word from Handles Gastropub
Handles Gastropub at the historic Pleasanton Hotel. Our gastropub is a unique combination of a traditional public house (think your favorite watering hole) that serves high quality food. The menu is seasonal, ingredient driven American comfort food with an emphasis on all natural meats, poultry and fish with fresh, local produce. The public house will feature 30 craft beers and 16 local wines on tap. Your favorite cocktails will also be available.Continued
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
It is our goal to become your favorite neighborhood place. We look forward to serving you soon.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Handles Gastropub reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Very quiet he day we wentKittyDined on 12/8/2012Very quiet he day we went for lunch but expect the secene is more vibrant in the evening. Both the food and the service were outstanding. Try the meatloaf !Special Features:
- Homey ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/7/2012Last minute decision on a Friday night; sat in the bar area. A bit noisy, but comfortable. As billed, service was great. Menu had choices for both me and my wife, and she's a little picky. Good food, big enough portions to take some home. We both had a good time!Special Features:
- Ive been a few times..niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012Ive been a few times..nice place for a semi casual date nite. The presentation of the food is very niceSpecial Features:
- We went for Thanksgiving dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2012We went for Thanksgiving dinner, to give the cook a break. Thanksgiving was a prix fixe menu. Flavors were good, portions were good sized. The food wasn't as warm as it should be, probably because of the amount of meals being served The prime rib wasn't worth the $10 up charge, it was under seasoned. We've eaten there before, ordering from the menu, and that would be the best choice..Special Features:
- Super bummed I didn't getOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/19/2012Super bummed I didn't get the points for my visit, but the food was great and we had fun.
- Nice place but wasn't for us.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/18/2012The waiter was super nice. Food was OK. Nice location. Nice place for having a beer watching sports games.Special Features:
- The first thing that we noticedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2012The first thing that we noticed was the service was excellent. From the greeter to the service person our experience was exceptional. Our service person did not miss a beat ... this is a casual place to go on a Sunday morning but you receive five star treatment. Now for the food ... What can I say but we both got exceptional dishes obviously prepare by a chef and not just a cook. I have eaten here once before for lunch and we have great dishes then as well. This will be regular spot for us to come to ... and we live 20 miles away from here.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal. We ate inLovePrimeRibDined on 10/13/2012Excellent Meal. We ate in the dinning room which is quiet with a view of main street Pleasanton. You can also eat in the Public side which is where the pub is located. The pub side looked fun with live music.Special Features:
- Had a poor waiter. Too bad,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2012Had a poor waiter. Too bad, because the food is excellent.Special Features:
- Great food and great beerPhillydaveDined on 9/22/2012Great food and great beer selection. Always come back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Handles is a nice place toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012Handles is a nice place to have dinner, especially with a choice of settings- the bar, the indoor dining near the fireplace, the outdoor patio under the string lights. The food was delicious and the service was great.Special Features:
- We had been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2012We had been to this restaurant back in July, 2012. At that time they were serving a Sunday brunch buffet. Our family enjoyed this and so chose to celebrate a birthday there, based on the brunch buffet. My bad for not checking, because the brunch buffet is no more. Our food was just OK, and not even very hot. And the service was sporadic.
- Fun atmosphere and a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012Fun atmosphere and a nice range of ages. Appropriate and fun for our age group50-55 although I an guessing folks from 25 up were also there enjoying themselves and having fun. Food was good not great but tasty and fresh. Good also for watching the game(s)!! Loved the entertainment "Mike Beck Gone Country" Great crowd and feeling!!!Special Features:
- Came in for dinner, even thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012Came in for dinner, even though it seemed a bit short staffed we had awesome service and the food & beer was excellent as always!Special Features:
- Bummer.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/19/2012This was a very disappointing experience. We arrived a few minutes before our reservation and no hostess greeted us. We had to walk to the bar to get anyone's attention. We were seated in a very open area - I had requested a window or perimeter table. The ceviche appetizer was tasty but I had to ask for additional lettuce leaves and small plates to help us eat it. The server seemed surprised we couldn't just eat it from the serving dish. We are relative newcomers to the neighborhood and were really looking forward to dining here. Sadly, with the lack of welcoming service and mediocre food, we won't be back.
- Best meal I've had in a long time!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/18/2012One of the best meals I've had in a long time! Great wine list - I love the wines on tap. Two families, 5 kids, and lots of fun. Oh, and by far they have the best kids menu which includes salmon and steak entrees in addition to the basics like their homemade Mac n cheese. If we didn't have the kids, we would have stayed for the live band. We will be back! :)Special Features:
- I had the lamb burger. NotinconnueVIPDined on 8/16/2012I had the lamb burger. Not sure why the chef would put blue cheese on a gamey meat, but it was not pleasant. I actually liked both lamb and blue cheese, but not together. My daughter had the prime rib sandwich that was overcooked. The ambiance was nice, but I wouldn't cone back for the food.Special Features:
- Brunch HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2012Took my wife and her friend for Sunday Brunch & sat on the patio enjoying blood orange mimosas. The menu was limited but it all sounded awesome and when our food came it was as delicious as it sounded on the menu. After brunch my Wife & her friend wanted to go shopping so I wandered in to the bar to enjoy some of the 30 beers on tap. The bartender was making Bloody Mary's like crazy & he gave me a small taste of his mix and I could see why, by far the best Bloody Mary I've ever had.Special Features:
- Not worth a 3rd tryDedwardsVIPDined on 8/3/2012This restaurant really disappointed us. It was the 2nd time we had been there. We had the same server both times, and the 2nd experience was worse than the first. First, it took about 20 minutes for the waiter to come to our table. Secondly, the server had terrible body odor - both times. The smell was so bad that it ruined our appetites. The special salad that they offerred that night was oversalted, and the chicken breast was dried out. My husband had the pasta special and said it was "ok". Lastly, the decor is badly in need of updating. We decided not to return to this restaurant a 3rd time.
- Handles is a fun place; theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2012Handles is a fun place; the food was great, our server kind and attentive and I would definitely recommend this fun place in wonderful downtown Pleasanton.Special Features:
- The restaurant smelled horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/13/2012The restaurant smelled horrible the night we were there. So bad that we moved out of the main dining room to the bar area. I had been there several times before and this was never the case, and it was embarrassing in this instance because I was bringing a guest who had never been. I hope they get that fixed!Special Features:
- First time at the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2012First time at the restaurant. We live downtown and love to walk to the different spots on Main Street. We expected pub grub to have healthy food portions and left hungry and disappointed. BBQ sauce was requested upon ordering and it was delivered ten minutes after our entrees arrived. No salt or pepper on the tables - got up and asked a waitress for some and it never arrived. Great location, cool remodel of the bar area (we were not seated in the bar). Food was weak. They need to step it up ALOT.
- The service was good as farOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/7/2012The service was good as far as the server etc. but it took awhile to get our meal served.Special Features:
- We went to celebrate out anniversarFoodfunDined on 6/21/2012We went to celebrate out anniversary and so we were looking for a romantic setting. The bar was hopping especially for a Thursday night, so they sat us next to a window overlooking the garden in the dining room. This was perfect for our occasion. If it was warmer we would have enjoyed eating outside in the garden. The food was awesome...mostly what I would call bar food, sandwiches, burgers, salads, etc...the soup of the day was terrific!Special Features:
- Dramatically shrunken fooddisappointedVIPDined on 6/19/2012Dramatically shrunken food portions and increased prices do not bode well for Handles this summer. They used to offer BIG food at a very reasonable price: nothing special or memorable but decent and lots of it!! A couple of weeks ago they streamlined their menu moving their biggest seller The Mac N Cheese from entree to appetizer portion, cutting the size in half and leaving the price the same. Other items were impacted but that was the most striking. While this might seem like it would improve their bottom line, the bottom line for me is I will be taking my business somewhere that values their customers more.Special Features:
- If you are looking for a niceJeanDined on 6/17/2012If you are looking for a nice place to sit on a peaceful outdoor patio this is your place. If you are looking for great food with it this is not the place. This is our second time at Handles, and the food falls short. We did, however, great great Bloody Mary's and the beer selection is fabulous as well. In other words, come for a drink and sit out side. Try to eat a bit meal first!Special Features:
- We were there for Father'sbirthdayVIPDined on 6/17/2012We were there for Father's Day Brunch and it was disappointing. We were seated in what seemed like the old bar area. There were no tables seated around us, so it seemed empty. The carving station worker didn't know the Prime Rib from the Pork Roast.
- Great ambience in the courtyard!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2012Great ambience in the courtyard! Food was outstanding!Special Features:
- The food and drinks were decent,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/3/2012The food and drinks were decent, but the service was terrible. Our waitress was nowhere to be found when we needed her.
- Great local gastropubOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/3/2012Handles is a great place for delicious, fresh, local beer, wine, and food. The restaurant offers several dining options: outdoor, formal indoor, casual indoor, and bar. The servers are friendly, though not as knowledgeable about the beer as servers at a Gastropub should be.Special Features:
- The outside courtyard is theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2012The outside courtyard is the best feature of this restaurant; thank-goodness they did not change this from the original Pleasanton Hotel. It was an absolutely incredible location to visit with friends on a beautiful spring afternoon. The service was sub-par as the server was not available when we needed her and she was extremely slow in bringing our drink and food order. Drink refills had to be requested several times, and several people in my party were brought the wrong refill. The food was good, but nothing outstanding and definitely not worth the high prices. We will spend our hard earned dollars elsewhere.Special Features:
- Really good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012I love this place for their bread pudding - which is to die for. Decided to take Mom for Mothers' day and was very pleased with the quality of the food - everything was good. The service was very slow - which is usually not the case, I presume it was just because they were busy - but I'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- We went for Mother's day andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/13/2012We went for Mother's day and didn't know that it was a buffet only at $30 per person. That would have been helpful to know when we made our reservation.Special Features:
- We were frequent patrons ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012We were frequent patrons of the old Pleasanton Hotel before it closed in 2008-2009. Their brunch was fantastic. Gastropub is now in that location, and I was skeptical if it would live up to the old restaurant. It did and more. Inside is completely remodeled and looks much more modern. Very large inside and out. Food buffet was great with fish, shrimp, prime rib, etc.. Will definitely be going back soon...Special Features:
- They did an outstanding jobKristinVIPDined on 5/13/2012They did an outstanding job with Mother's Day! Have come to just love this place and we go often. Great job Handles team!Special Features:
- Mothers Day brunch. AttentivekageyeyeDined on 5/13/2012Mothers Day brunch. Attentive and pleasant waitress. The site still much like the old 'Hotel Pleasanton' from 15 years ago, but with modern touches. Good outdoor seating. Wife and I enjoyed, but both thought the buffet was ordinary to bland. We won't need to come back for another decade or so. But on another occasion, i had dinner in the bar, which was great, an altogether better experience.Special Features:
- Great place to have dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2012Great place to have dinner with friends. We sat outside and Mike our server made suggestions. Always fun to explore a new beer. Absolutely awesome sweet potato fries. Great meatloaf too.Special Features:
- Service was so slow. RestaurantGillbDined on 5/9/2012Service was so slow. Restaurant was not busy and took over 2 hours for an appetizer and 2 salads at lunch. We had to ask for water 3 times then it came with no ice.Special Features:
- Our waitress made us feelMelanieVIPDined on 5/6/2012Our waitress made us feel rushed and had to be asked to bring drinks, etc all thrughout the meal. When we received the bill, we realized she never brought us the second drink one of our guests had ordered or coffee we requested.Special Features:
- It was fine.........nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2012It was fine.........nothing special. Sent food back for a re-heat, but overall it was fine!Special Features: