Oliver A Bistro
218 Farnsworth Avenue
Bordentown, NJ 08505Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Oliver A Bistro
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oliverabistro.com/
- Phone: 6092987177
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew McElmoyl
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Many options for catering. We deliver or you can pick up. Also cater off-site
A word from Oliver A Bistro
We are a 55 seat intimate BYOB located in a charming historic downtown area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Oliver A Bistro - Best Restaurants in Bordentown ›
Oliver A Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (32)great for lunch (25)romantic (19)good for groups (11)hot spot (7)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Love It!BBuddDined on 3/1/2014This is our favorite and go to restaurant. We love coming here to celebrate special occasionsSpecial Features:
- Burger NightwineanddineVIPDined on 2/25/2014Last time I was here on a tuesday night, I had a great 3 course dinner. They changed the menu (not on the wesite, yet) to burger nights. I really don't like burgers; although, some of the creations sounded interesting. I still enjoyed a bowl of their great soup and a vegan entree (not on that menu, but something the staff can whip up).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love Oliver's!GailandBVIPDined on 2/22/2014Oliver's is a charming bistro in Bordentown, N.J. The food is always excellent, as is the service. The menu is diverse and creative. Every time we go, there is something new to try. We leave satisfied and happy and look forward to our next visit. It's one of our favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always adaptingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2014Oliver A Bistro is known for its friendly, music and sports knowledgable staff and the amazing food. It is also now home to burger nights Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Even the desserts are smaller, allowing for mid-week indulgence without damaging the budget or the fitbit! Always great for amazing food preparation and delivery; always adjusting to the needs of its diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger NightLuv2DineVIPDined on 2/19/2014We love the Tuesday and Wednesday Burger Night! Great burgers including turkey burgers! Nice choices as sides, everything fresh and tasty, great prices which makes it easy to eat out during the week. We also enjoy their regular menu.Special Features:
- Oliver A Bistro Good FindJenineDined on 2/15/2014A friend of mine who has excellent tastes in restaurants recommended this restaurant for a special Valentine's Day dinner with my husband. The best part is the menu that has lots of great and unique dishes and flavlors to choose from. The service was attentive even though they were extremely busy that evening and the atmosphere peaceful and romantic. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others. It's a BYOB which is always good and the prices were reasonable for a holiday venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 2/15/2014Nice place to come for lunch. There is such a large variety of great foods and always at a great price. Highly reommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Valentine's DateCatcut82VIPDined on 2/14/2014We have been to Oliver's a few times before, and have never been let down. It has been awhile so we thought it would be nice to go back for Valentine's. we showed up about 15 minutes early and even on a busy night like Valentine's they sat us right away. It is BYOB which is great and we brought a bottle from our honeymoon in Italy. We each had a piece of Truffle Mushroom Bruschetta, which is to die for. Then we also shared Ahi Poke which was light and fresh. I had the seared chicken and my husband had meatloaf. There isn't a thing we ate that wasn't delicious. And the service was really good, the server and assistants were very attentive even on a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little SpotMamaGDined on 2/14/2014I have dined here 3 times so far and every time I have not been disappointed! Delicious fresh, tasty, seasonal food at a great price; fast and courteous service. The sandwich-soup combo for lunch is perfect and at a great price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for Tuesday or WednesdayPeteDined on 2/12/2014We have loved this place for several years. This time, we noticed that there were fewer tables. We were told that Tuesdays and Wednesdays were hamburger nights. Though disappointed we stayed since previous experiences had been good. The menu was quite limited with little other than burgers. I asked for "some pink" and got well overdone. The topping was parsimonious and uninteresting. The potatoes had had to much time on a warming table. Oliver's may still be good on other nights. But I don't think we will be back to find out.
- The food was great and thedar2626Dined on 2/8/2014The food was great and the staff very efficient and friendly. Olivers is a good fit for the charming historic town of Bordentown, NJ. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at a leisurely paceNJHousewifeDined on 2/7/2014Beautiful restaurant right in downtown Bordentown. The food was wonderful! There is a 3 course menu for $29.95 that is an amazing bargain (it is also a BYOB). Courses are served at a leisurely pace. This is a nice change from the other restaurants who rush to turn over tables as long as you have time to linger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingCollinJDined on 2/7/2014This is far and away my favorite restaurant. It has gone through several owners... but the current owner/chef is by far the best! I have never had anything bad, or mediocre, or even just pretty good. Everything is sublime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I lived closer to go more!LovetodineoutVIPDined on 2/7/2014My co-worker and I met a client there based on the open table reviews. We were so pleased. The service was great, the food was amazing. An ample amount of options, it was difficult to choose. I with I lived closer in order to go more often!Special Features:
- Burger Night with elegance!MommaKatesDined on 2/5/2014My family and I have just moved to the area and everyone says that we need to try Oliver. The regular menu is a bit pricy, so we were thinking this would be more of a date night place. When Oliver introduced a burger night we thought this was a very reasonable way to check out the food without having to get a babysitter. It was excellent! The atmosphere was quiet, but my children were well behaved, coloring and we were able to sit away from the couples. The food was to-die-for. We tried a bit of everything and the pricing was extremely reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for foodiesItalianDined on 2/1/2014A BYOB restaurant offering unique meals with wonderful flavors. My husband enjoyed the seafood dinner special which was a delicious blend of mussels, clams, scallops and shrimp served in a light red sauce over risotto. Warm, cozy atmosphere with excellent service. Looking forward to going back for another outstanding meal.Special Features:
- Oliver A Bistro is Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014It was my third time here and they never disappoint! The food is excellent, definitely the best in the area! I will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Never disappointsJlrcDined on 1/31/2014Every time ergo here the food is always phenomenol! I always order off if the prix fixe menu and it is more food than I can finish:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger NightLindaDined on 1/29/2014The hummus appetizer was outstanding! The problem was ... we received the appetizer, and 30 seconds later our entrees arrived. Poor timing. My crab sandwich was ok, and I was told that the Umami burger was very good. Dessert was ok, the lemon bar ws not what I expected - more like a lemon pie (thick crust), tasty though. The evening was nice except for the feeling of being rushed - total dining experience lasted a little less than an hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger Night -- Delicious!!SmitchikDined on 1/28/2014I love that Olivers switched it up with Burger Night! Our burgers were juicy, delicious and cooked to order! We will definitely be back to try more burgers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, romantic settingJohannaDined on 1/24/2014My husband and I love this restaurant and go there for most special occasions. Any meal we've ever had there was excellent - fresh ingredients, perfect preparation, interesting but not crazy combination of flavors, and beautiful presentation on the plate. At least some of the ingredients are local, e.g. my salmon came with kale from an organic farm 10 minutes away. The prices are generally reasonable, but most times we go for their "three courses for $29"-deal which is available on weeknights and usually leaves us with leftovers to take home. Romantic setting, great service, also nice for lunch. Try them on a week night or Sunday night if you can. BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming City-Charming RestaurantJoelDDined on 1/23/2014Bordentown is a little city with a "square mile smile". Olivers is one of the reasons why. It's one of several terrific restaurants in this historic town that helps make it shine. A small, handsome restaurant run by a charming and talented couple, supported by an incredibly knowledgeable and competent staff. The quality of the food on the manageable menu is "New York" quality...and at affordable prices. The 3-course tasting menu (at under $30)...with full-size portions is an extraordinary value. Most everything is locally sourced and expertly prepared. BYO makes it even more attractive since you can have a great "affordable" wine with your great meal. Pastry chef on staff for great desserts. Recommendation: get the mussels (in Thai curry).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming backalp1VIPDined on 1/18/2014Oliver is consistently good. The food is flavorful without being over salted. The menu is small but there are always specials and the menu does change a bit on a regular basis. We especially love that it's BYO so we get to enjoy a nice bottle of wine and dinner is usually just under $100.Special Features:
- The food is what makes thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2014The food is what makes this restaurant. Best we've had in a long time. The service was very pleasant, but it takes a long time to be served, It was Saturday night and very busy, though. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChesterfielderDined on 1/18/2014We arrived for early 5:00pm dinner. one other couple in the restaurant. the host tried to sit us right next to them in a near empty restaurant, I asked to sit at a different table, she looked at me like I had three heads. Bad first impression. We ordered the mussels and seared ahi tuna. Mussel portion was very generous and they seemed fresh, but there was no flavor. tuna was ok, excellent truffle risotto. Caesar salad was mostly shaker parm, with little dressing. I ordered the lamb med rare, arrived overcooked, and small portion. Mashed potatoes were great. My husband had the special sirloin steak, it was very tough and unmemorable. Dessert was microwaved too long and ended up getting very hard. I don't think I will be dining here again.
- They graciously accommodatedfoodforthoughtDined on 1/16/2014They graciously accommodated my request for a substitution re a side dish. A place to enjoy for special ocassions. BYOB is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningKateDined on 1/11/2014First time diner at Oliver's. Food was great, but entrees did take much longer than expected and server didn't stop over enough. Ambiance -- could have used a little less light, candles, and I was a litle disappointed in the fact that I was so close to nearby diners. Overall, the food wins and I will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Talented chefGaryDined on 1/3/2014Oliver--A Bistro is such a jewel. It is blessed with a very talented chef whose imagination is only surpassed by his talent in the kitchen. We have been here numerous times and have never been disappointed. And--it's a BYO so you can enjoy your favorite wine with dinner. There are even vegetarian options that were delightful. While it can be noisy (depending on the diners de jour), for a party of two who can get a window seat, there is less noise than in the general dining area.Special Features:
- New Year's Eve delightmptcDined on 12/31/2013My boyfriend and I had a very romantic evening planned starting with A New Year's Eve dinner at Oliver's. We arrived on time for our reservation and the table we requested was ready for us - romantic and by the window. The service was wonderful and the food was absolutely superb. We had to wait a bit for the first course to arrive, but in all fairness, it was New Year's Eve & the place was extremely busy. Once the bread and first course arrived, it went very smoothly after that. The truffles mushroom bruschetta is divine and a favorite of mine while the Surf & Turf dinners were superb and cooked to perfection. Ending with desserts - death by chocolate and hazelnut cheesecake. Yum!!! Thank you so much for a very memorable & special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!SJSPECVIPDined on 12/26/2013This was our second time at Oliver and still as great as the first time. Also they are able to accommodate food allergies w/o losing a beat. Really love coming to Bordentown to eat here. It's so worth it. NB: book far in advance for a weekend reso, and it's BYO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caroling EveningLocalDined on 12/19/2013Carolers were present this evening which added holiday cheer to the evening. Food was excellent and service super! Love this place!Special Features:
- Best BYO aroundRedWineLoverVIPDined on 12/14/2013If you're ever in the central jersey area, grab your favorite bottle of wine and stop at Olivers. You wont be disappointed.Special Features:
- Always a favorite!KimsDivDined on 12/12/2013This is one of my favorite local restaurants! I normally select my meal quickly, but consistently have trouble choosing at Oliver A Bistro, because in addition to a consistently fabulous (and changing) menu, they always offer several tempting specials. I especially like that they offer a Prix Fix menu.... That's what our entire party chose, in the end, because it's such a great value.Special Features:
- Saturday LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 12/7/2013I enjoyed a very good lunch, as I have repeatedly done over the last few years. Soup, salad and small entrees are offered at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always niceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/30/2013I've been to Oliver a few times. The menu is always creative and the food is delicious. The service is fine, not memorable but always nice, friendly and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Difficult restaurant to reviewLucianoVIPDined on 11/30/2013Pros: All of the food was quite good, attractive place Cons: Service took forever, 75 minutes between first sitting down and receiving entree; all front room staff did the minimum-no customer focus or charm Suggestions: Retrain all of the front room people. Things like saying "Welcome to Oliver's Bistro, being knowledgable about the menu, refilling water glasses
- Mixed reactionJDFoodieVIPDined on 11/23/2013Food was slow to arrive with many apologies and updates from server. Mushroom soup, house salad and truffle mushrooms bruschetta all excellent as were the roasted salmon and crispy chicken entrees. Cod nice and crispy but very salty. Sent back and new order was not salty but also not good. This is the 3rd time the cod was less than acceptable so time to remove from the menu. Despite the disappointments we still love eating here.Special Features:
- Highly Recommend!TheWehringersDined on 11/23/2013Menu is truly seasonal. The pumpkin soup, mussels and crab cakes are amazing. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time dining here andmitmatDined on 11/22/2013first time dining here and the food was great! We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so experienceMontyVIPDined on 11/2/2013I read a few good reviews and was anxious to try this place. We had reservations but had to wait at least 20 minutes for our table. There's really no place to wait inside (it was a cold evening) so we had to stand alongside other diners, which was uncomfortable to us as well as them. The place is very loud with not much room between tables. We had to keep asking the server to refill our water glasses. The food was tasty although my rack of lamb was pretty tough (and I had to ask the server for a sharp knife). All in all a so so experience. There are many other restaurants in the area I would try before I would try this place again.