Oliver A Bistro
218 Farnsworth Avenue
Bordentown, NJ 08505Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Oliver A Bistro
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oliverabistro.com/
- Phone: 6092987177
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew McElmoyl
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Many options for catering. We deliver or you can pick up. Also cater off-site
A word from Oliver A Bistro
We are a 55 seat intimate BYOB located in a charming historic downtown area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Oliver A Bistro - Best Restaurants in Bordentown ›
Oliver A Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (48)special occasion (27)great for lunch (21)romantic (18)good for groups (9)hot spot (6)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Affordable and delicious lunchgerimeachDined on 5/16/2014We recently met our relatives for lunch at Oliver and had a wonderful meal. The soup and sandwich combos are fabulous. We also enjoyed the Greco Dip (hummus) and Chevre Crostini appetizers. Oliver is a BYOB which saved us quite a lot compared to restaurants with over-priced wine. We plan on returning soon and spending some time in the quaint town of Bordentown.Special Features:
- Fabulous Mother's Day lunch!localdiner1Dined on 5/11/2014Our family of four had a sumptuous lunch on Mother's Day. Our favorite items included the tomato soup with cheddar cheese, Mediterranean appetizer, spinach salad, skewered shrimp with papaya slaw, and the mac and cheese with beef. The service, as always, was impeccable. We have dined here more than 25 times over the last few years and have NEVER had a meal that is anything less than excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, reasonable pricesJDFoodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014The Friday night $29.99 special which is 3-courses is the best buy anywhere! The bruschetta is fabulous and the entrees (fish, meatloaf, etc) are delicious. And the portions are big! You must try to save room for dessert, though. I did not order the "Friday special" as I chose just the specials in course which was cioppino and it was scrumptious - chock full of shrimp, scallops, clams and mussels over a spring pea risotto. Not your typical Italian-made dish, but really delicious! BYOB lets you enjoy your own great wine and saves you money. Service at dinner can be slow so bring your patience. It's worth the wait! And they started taking Amex a while ago which is great! I can now bring clients!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerwineanddineVIPDined on 4/29/2014I certainly enjoyed a very good dinner; this time it was tapas style with great soup, a salad, and braised short ribs cheese and mac. All well-prepared with the usual attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Our Favoritesreservationsfor2Dined on 4/26/2014The food and service is always excellent at this little place in the heart of Bordentown. Reservations are a must on weekends and on-street parking can be a challenge, but it is certainly worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSheLovesFoodDined on 4/26/2014The service, the food, the ambience... everything was top notch. Never fails to impress.Special Features:
- Girls night outMamaBearDined on 4/24/2014Really enjoyed our visit to Oliver's for dinner. The wait staff could not have been friendlier or more obliging. We went on a Thursday evening & the place was hopping! Very eclectic food choices and everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Special OccasionMAandLADined on 4/23/2014One of THE Best Kept secrets in NJ. We have Never been disappointed.Special Features:
- BYOB GemArmybarbieDined on 4/19/2014I loved that you could bring your own wine and the food was comfort food with a twist. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on Good FridayseniordinerDined on 4/18/2014The menu is not broad but there is enough variety; however a few more choices would be good. The food is amazing. The bread basket at the start of the meal is wonderful..crisp, thin rounds of bread, seasoned ..delicious. The wait after 1st course, for entrée, was too long. There may have been only 2 waiters. "Energetic" noise level is too noisy for us! Tomato bisque, Crab risotto and lemon dessert were outstanding. Size of servings is nice, not overpowering. Cost value is extremely fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Spot in BordentownYumAllTheTimeDined on 4/17/2014Food is very quality. My wife and I went in with 2 other couples and we had a fanastic time. Service was on point. We went during Restaurant Week and also Burger night. We selected the Burger night menu, but both looked wonderful. The burgers were perfectly cooked. The chicken and waffle were another highlihght. Dessert was very good and very fresh. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great serviceJerseyGirlVIPDined on 4/11/2014This is about our fifth visit to this restaurant, and they have never disappointed us. Food is well prepared, fresh, and innovative. Bruce, our waiter, is a pro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time, great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014first time, great experience would come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oliver A Bistro - A+JerseyGirlWhoLovesNYCDined on 4/5/2014Meal presentation and taste were outstanding! Neighborhood gem, great for special occasions, or just dining out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but limitedHemmyDined on 4/4/2014Enjoyed the meal but not sure about a return. Very small menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting better and better!IrishmomDined on 4/3/2014Has always been our favorite for great weekend dinner and has now expanded the dining experience to a casual weekday venue! If you can't make it for dinner, lunch is also recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- burger nightGeeeDined on 4/2/2014burgers were excellent cooked as ordered and topping swere spot on. we had the carmarlized onions and cheddar, boursin and blue cheese w/truffle oil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- burger nightjenkieDined on 4/1/2014My husband and I have dined at Oliver's many times. We decided to try out their new burger night. I ordered the homemade veggie burger and my husband the crab cake sandwich. The veggie burger was roasted veggies ground up and made into a patty. It was very mushy in consistency but tasted OK. The crab cake was small and served on a croissant even tho my husband asked for it on a Kaiser roll. I see why they did not give him the roll because it would have overwhelmed the crab cake and made it apparent how small it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun weekly burger night!SmitchikDined on 3/27/2014We love Olivers! New midweek menu is great and affordable in addition to their Friday prix fix! Desserts are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!ChrisCVIPDined on 3/27/2014Excellent service. Excellent food. Very consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midweek TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014We went on a Wednesday night and had an outstanding meal. The bite size desserts were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Wait?OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/22/2014We have been going to Oliver for sometime now and the food is always top notch. We started with Ahi Poke that was delish! After a very very very long wait we finally had dinner served. It was as good as always, but the wait is not worth it. We were there about a month ago and just when I was on the verge of annoyance with the wait, the food arrived. So we thought we would try it again. This time it was even longer and less patrons in the restaurant. This has always been the issue with Oliver for us. The wait staff even looks uncomfortable that the food is not coming out. I understand that maybe he is just one chef trying to do everything himself, but I know we will not be back for quite some time if ever. It's a shame, great food.Special Features:
- Burger nightsLocalDined on 3/12/2014Super food, service, choices. Very a creative menus for different nights of week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in a bistro in ParisFoodie1224Dined on 3/11/2014Love sitting at the table in the window, but the food is what you come here for! Absolutely delectable flavors. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted so hard to like itUWDinerDined on 3/8/2014Decor is nice, BYO, A lot to like on the menu. Unfortunately execution lacked. Resturaunt itself is nice but we were placed in a table that was in the rear and close to the kitchen and bathroom which hurt the ambiance a bit. Server was good but spent too much time socializing with familiar customers which hampered our service experience a bit. Bread was not the freshest (maybe day old or baked early in the morning). Food took a very long time to come out. Ordered the rissoto. It was OK at best and was served lukewarm. Wife ordered the Cuppino which was excellent. Overall considering the price I was rather underwhelmed with the whole experience.Special Features:
- Burger Night HitLJonesDined on 3/6/2014Oliver's new burger night is a hit. The innovative burgers are top notch. Choosing just one was the only difficulty of the evening. They can be paired with an outstanding soup, salad or appetizer. The desserts were amazing even when we were "too full" to order them. The staff prepares everything in house and it shows. The service is equal to the food. It was attentive without being over bearing. The special requests from our table were handled seamlessly. We've dined at Oliver's for lunch and occasionally for dinner. The food and service are always outstanding. Burger night is quickly becoming a family favorite.Special Features:
- burger nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/5/2014Providing a low cost opportunity to get out during the week, Oliver's a Bistro continues to adapt to its diners' desires. If you want the more traditional gourmet experience, try Friday night prix fixe dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Return Trip!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/1/2014Had not been to Oliver for some time and we returned on Saturday night. Appetizers were fantastic, with mussels a clear standout! Three of us had the crispy skin chicken which with the fig risotto was wonderful! Tender and succulent with nice roasted brussel sprouts to accompany. Wait service was great, just a bit of a lag between apps and dinner. Small complaint for the quality and presentation of the meals we had. We will definitely go more often. Thanks for an outstanding meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love It!BBuddDined on 3/1/2014This is our favorite and go to restaurant. We love coming here to celebrate special occasionsSpecial Features:
- Burger NightwineanddineVIPDined on 2/25/2014Last time I was here on a tuesday night, I had a great 3 course dinner. They changed the menu (not on the wesite, yet) to burger nights. I really don't like burgers; although, some of the creations sounded interesting. I still enjoyed a bowl of their great soup and a vegan entree (not on that menu, but something the staff can whip up).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love Oliver's!GailandBVIPDined on 2/22/2014Oliver's is a charming bistro in Bordentown, N.J. The food is always excellent, as is the service. The menu is diverse and creative. Every time we go, there is something new to try. We leave satisfied and happy and look forward to our next visit. It's one of our favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always adaptingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2014Oliver A Bistro is known for its friendly, music and sports knowledgable staff and the amazing food. It is also now home to burger nights Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Even the desserts are smaller, allowing for mid-week indulgence without damaging the budget or the fitbit! Always great for amazing food preparation and delivery; always adjusting to the needs of its diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger NightLuv2DineVIPDined on 2/19/2014We love the Tuesday and Wednesday Burger Night! Great burgers including turkey burgers! Nice choices as sides, everything fresh and tasty, great prices which makes it easy to eat out during the week. We also enjoy their regular menu.Special Features:
- Oliver A Bistro Good FindJenineDined on 2/15/2014A friend of mine who has excellent tastes in restaurants recommended this restaurant for a special Valentine's Day dinner with my husband. The best part is the menu that has lots of great and unique dishes and flavlors to choose from. The service was attentive even though they were extremely busy that evening and the atmosphere peaceful and romantic. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others. It's a BYOB which is always good and the prices were reasonable for a holiday venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 2/15/2014Nice place to come for lunch. There is such a large variety of great foods and always at a great price. Highly reommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Valentine's DateCatcut82Dined on 2/14/2014We have been to Oliver's a few times before, and have never been let down. It has been awhile so we thought it would be nice to go back for Valentine's. we showed up about 15 minutes early and even on a busy night like Valentine's they sat us right away. It is BYOB which is great and we brought a bottle from our honeymoon in Italy. We each had a piece of Truffle Mushroom Bruschetta, which is to die for. Then we also shared Ahi Poke which was light and fresh. I had the seared chicken and my husband had meatloaf. There isn't a thing we ate that wasn't delicious. And the service was really good, the server and assistants were very attentive even on a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little SpotMamaGDined on 2/14/2014I have dined here 3 times so far and every time I have not been disappointed! Delicious fresh, tasty, seasonal food at a great price; fast and courteous service. The sandwich-soup combo for lunch is perfect and at a great price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for Tuesday or WednesdayPeteDined on 2/12/2014We have loved this place for several years. This time, we noticed that there were fewer tables. We were told that Tuesdays and Wednesdays were hamburger nights. Though disappointed we stayed since previous experiences had been good. The menu was quite limited with little other than burgers. I asked for "some pink" and got well overdone. The topping was parsimonious and uninteresting. The potatoes had had to much time on a warming table. Oliver's may still be good on other nights. But I don't think we will be back to find out.
- The food was great and thedar2626Dined on 2/8/2014The food was great and the staff very efficient and friendly. Olivers is a good fit for the charming historic town of Bordentown, NJ. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at a leisurely paceNJHousewifeDined on 2/7/2014Beautiful restaurant right in downtown Bordentown. The food was wonderful! There is a 3 course menu for $29.95 that is an amazing bargain (it is also a BYOB). Courses are served at a leisurely pace. This is a nice change from the other restaurants who rush to turn over tables as long as you have time to linger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.