1221 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
VegetarianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vedgerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2153207500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm and Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Landau
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We are happy to accommodate private events for larger parties. Our private dining room can seat up to 16 and the entire restaurant can be made available. Please direct all inquiries to Joe either by phone (215-320-7500) or email (email@example.com).
- Private Party Contact: Joe Pachella 2153207500x
A word from Vedge
A modern vegetable restaurant by Chefs Richard Landau & Kate Jacoby, formerly of Horizons: Located in the historic Tiger Building on Locust Street, Vedge offers classical, elegant dining experiences as well as a sophisticated bar. The menu takes a fresh approach to cooking vegetables, presented in a series of mid-size plates. Think: Smoked Eggplant Braciole, Salt-Roasted Golden Beets, Wood-Grilled Maitake Mushrooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Vedge reviews from OpenTable diners
407 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (346)special occasion (264)neighborhood gem (175)romantic (159)hot spot (115)good for groups (74)notable wine list (70)vibrant bar scene (59)great for lunch (15)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great!bmediaDined on 8/23/2014The freshest, unique food that I've had. Great experience!Special Features:
- Amazing, interesting dishes!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Food doesn't get any better than this, even for people who never thought they would be interested in a vegan restaurant. Vedge's popularity is well deserved!Special Features:
- Great concept but...EatoutkingVIPDined on 8/22/2014It is great concept and ambiance. However actually food is unfortunately not up to expectation. They use too much butter and mayo. I am not even sure what we ate was healthy or not after our dinner. I love the concept though.Special Features:
- Fabulous!!!!DSteinbergDined on 8/22/2014Interesting, delicious, beautifully designed food that is impeccably executed and served. Knowledgable servers and wine wizards add to the unique dining experience. I would definitely go again...and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!! and Gluten free!!YumsterDined on 8/21/2014Amazing food, interesting combinations! This is like vegan gluten free tapas! I loved every single bite of everything single thing!!!!Special Features:
- I could never be VeganJonMinVIPDined on 8/21/2014Was good for what it was. My wife and I found the lack of protein incredibly unsatusfying to the point that we got a dinner after the dinner.
- MegregDined on 8/20/2014fantastic service & great bartenders. excellent happy hour menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Food was amazing and service couldn't be better. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. I hope it's around for years to come. It's not like any other restaurant around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to the hypeMoonDined on 8/20/2014We were disappointed with our dining experience after hearing so much about Vedge. Portion sizes were good and some of the dishes were excellent. Others just did not taste good at all. The menus are frustrating. The drinks menu has descriptions that are ridiculous and ingredients that have to be explained by the server. The dinner menu also requires lengthy explanations. It was a very long dinner.Special Features:
- Food and service was fantasticLoriCDined on 8/20/2014I don't know why I waited so long! I've had dining at Vedge on my radar for quite some time and finally got around to going. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent. The restaurant itself was lovely, had great atmosphere and even though every table was occupied, it was not loud. I had the Grilled Seitan for my main dish. I'm not a huge seitan fan but this changed my mind. The flavor was excellent and my omnivore sister tasted it and completely thought it tasted like a grilled piece of meat. She had the Braciole and enjoyed it but thought my dish was the stand out. I will definitely go again despite it being an hour away from where I live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creativity off the chartsRiver919Dined on 8/19/2014Delicious and so creative in both taste and presentation! Stand outs for us were the fancy radishes, Vedge bar carrots, and miitake mushrooms. Great service and ambience. Heaven for vegetarians - and others, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do you like meat? Go anyway!WeekendDCDined on 8/18/2014The food is tremendous. Don't worry about it not being the cow, pig, or lamb you are thinking you need to eat to have a great meal. The flavors are outstanding and the service and ambiance is top notch. You'll wish all your meals were vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodghelloDined on 8/18/2014Overall it was a great experience. Our party was happy with everything except the feeling of being rushed numerous times over and over again. When you are spending a hefty amount of money no host or waitress should make you feel like that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Vedge has a fantastic vegan menu. The service, the food and the atmosphere were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must TryScorpiolady31Dined on 8/16/2014Outstanding in every way - drinks, food, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014This place is amazing. The food is just divine. I wouldn't hesitate to take carnivorous friends here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food....KathyDined on 8/14/2014The food was excellent, especially the cucumber soup, the potatoes, heirloom tomato tartare, and the ice cream, however we felt the service was too efficient . We would have preferred to engage our server in conversation rather than the clipped answers we received to our questions. We are vegan and wish Vedge would open up a restaurant in Boston. We tasted 9 of the items and they were all excellent. A very memorable dining experience. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- amazing small platesamazzDined on 8/14/2014My fiance and I loved Vedge. Great attentive service, lovely atmosphere. We had the golden beets with avocado and tofu...wonderfully fresh and delicious. We also had the shaved smoked brussel sprouts with mustard aioli....And we loved it so much. I will never see brussel sprouts the same again. I sldo loved the portabello carpaccio with pickled eggplant dish. This place is a must visit location. My fiance is a meat eater and I am more of a veggie lover...but both he and I were both thrilled and wish we could go again soon! Unfortunatly, we wont be able till our next trip to Philly, but we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally! Well worth the wait!mainlinesushiloverDined on 8/14/2014I had been meaning to visit Vedge for several years now, but just now managed to get a reservation after a few attempts. And it was totally worth the wait (though of course, I wish I had gone sooner). Everything was absolutely outstanding - service was great, and the food was truly excellent. We tried several things from the menu, and could have devoured the entire menu if time (and money) allowed. I was truly impressed by the quality and care taken in preparation. Might I add the sauces on every single item were delicious, and if it were socially acceptable, I would have eaten them with a spoon. If you've been considering a visit to Vedge, do not hesitate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but nicephillyphanaticDined on 8/13/2014Expect a high decibel dinner when you go to Vedge. If you want to have a quiet conversation with a dinner partner, look elsewhere. The food selections are creative, well-prepared, and delicious. The chili-smoked almonds are remarkable - if you like spice as much as we do - and put paid to the notion that vegan food is bland and boring. Other tasty dishes were: shaved brussel sprouts, spring peas & cauliflower with a buckwheat crepe. Unfortunately, the bread does not stand up to the quality of the other food. It tastes like supermarket white bread and is a notable disappointment in an otherwise excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!PhilEdinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Innovative menu, very tasty. High marks for the grilled tofu and the portabello carpaccio. Grilled seitan also very good but depends on whether you like the texture if seitan. Very nice wine list. Attentive staff and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceveganJ6Dined on 8/11/2014The wait staff and the food were both exceptional. Incredibly upscale dining. The waitress made it a point to make recommendations because she could see we weren't sure where to start. Needless to say, they were fabulous. I really enjoyed myself.Special Features:
- Amazing!SG12334Dined on 8/9/2014Top-notch service. Food was amazing. Tastes that I have never had before! One of the best dining experiences I have ever had.Special Features:
- PerfectionLoveitDined on 8/9/2014Husband and I went for birthday dinner. Everyone was exceedingly generous and kind. The food was exceptional - the level of care put into each dish was evident from the first to the last bite. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!HalleyHudsonDined on 8/9/2014The food at Vedge is absolutely amazing! I can't wait to go back. We ordered seconds of some dishes because it was just so good. The portions are a great size as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Life changing.KathleenDined on 8/9/2014The food is so good here your soul will start singing upon the first bite, you'll have to hold onto the table to brace yourself and quite frankly will have to stop yourself from moaning out because quite frankly this is a classy place. Try anything, it'll be the best thing you ever ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for veganslbtribeDined on 8/9/2014Only one person in our party of four is vegan, but all of us had fabulous, satisfying meals. Service was attentive but not overbearing, friendly, and prompt. We bought their cookbook on the way out and were pleased to see recipes for some of the dishes we'd just eaten. The bar drinks were interesting, too--both alcoholic and nonalcoholic. We hope to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OOTW!!! (Out of this world!)lauraannchinDined on 8/8/2014AMAZING!!! hands down best and i mean BEST restaurant the world just HAS to try! Make a reservation today and see what this place is truly about! AMAZING! No fluf!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014Overall wonderful experience! Delicious food, great service and a very relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodLuvGoodFoodDined on 8/6/2014It's hard to find a reservation, and now I know why!! As a vegetarian, I never have many menu item choices but not at Vedge! My friends (who are meat eaters) and I loved it! We shared every dish, including dessert. The service and ambience were great as well. The noise level was perfect for a conversation amongst four people. We didn't have to worry if we were a little loud. I highly recommend dining at Vedge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feast for All SenseschoosymotherDined on 8/6/2014My foodwise sister and I wanted to be able to experience this popular and perfect vegan gem together so we reserved at 5pm. The service was attentive, the servers were knowledgeable and every single choice was extraordinary. The presentation was thoughtful and highlighted the beauty of the ingredients. We cannot even choose our favorites because each item was perfect. Please try Vedge! (We asked for and bought the cookbook and carried it to our theater date!)Special Features:
- Highly recommendedryanDined on 8/5/2014I never knew that I will actually enjoy a vegetarian restaurant until I dined with Vedge! The menu is very interesting and the proportions are perfect. Our server was very helpful and knowledgeable in explaining the dishes and had provided very good recommendations to order. The ginger beer is superb ! Despite that we were late on our reservation time, they have easily accommodated us. Even for last minute additional guest joining us. We dined here as a celebration of a friend's birthday, who is a vegetarian, that was fully appreciated and commended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome combinationsLovefishVIPDined on 8/5/2014This was our second time, and we took better advantage of the menu, with plenty of delicious sides. The best of all is that our vegetarian son never had to ask what the ingredients were and could sample everything on the menu.Special Features:
- Wonderful food-was it really vegan?LoveVedgeDined on 8/5/2014This was a fourth trip to Vedge. Each time we've come away with the same view. The food was wonderful and different. With food restrictions that we have, vegan always works. Sometimes vegan is uninteresting --- but never at Vedge. Each dish is exotic and worth savoring.Special Features:
- Great veggiesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/2/2014High class vegan food w/ matching service. Yet, it is not pretentious or stuffy. Very accomodating to requests. I informed our server of a soy allergy and he brought me a soy-free menu. The cost can add up when ordering several dishes. For 2 people, 2 cocktails and desert, it was $120.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner even if non-vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Very pleasantly surprised how delicious and filling this was was for the 4 non-vegetarians who had dinner at Vedge. Have no idea how a vegetarian cheesecake can taste as creamy and delicious as the blueberry cheesecake did for dessert. My steak loving husband said he would enjoy coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealScojournerDined on 8/2/2014I am not a vegan, but had one of the best meals I've ever had. There was a variety of vegan choices, all nicely prepared and very flavorful. If I did turn vegan, I'd be here often. Plan well and make reservations early because it is a very popular restaurant.Special Features:
- Vedge Vegan Very Vegetable VariedTarteTatinDined on 7/31/2014We love veggies. We are not vegetarians, nor vegan. But we are members of an organic CSA, love locally made foods, and are farmers market lovers. Vedge has gotten a lot of publicity for not only vegan/vegetarians, but for meat eaters that say it is marvelous. We found it, "precious". Just thought that the tiny little plates of precious veggies weren't enough for people to share plates (they present all the plates for sharing) - nor were we impressed by the price. It just seemed like small portions of "Portlandia"...this lima bean is from this farm type of thing. It was pretty good, but too small and too "preciously" served. The cocktails and wine/cider selection were good.
- Great food, bad serviceGuinDined on 7/31/2014Our waitress was impatient and rude. Good food, but she ruined vedge for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet food, happens to be veganMMMLDined on 7/28/2014Vedge is thoughtful gourmet food. They are traveling on largely untrod ground, and so each dish is a new invention, often with a concept that the server can explain. The results are spectacular. New flavors abound, and combine to a harmonious whole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.