Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
809 15th St., NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: 2025890060x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Three private dining areas; three that can open up into one large room holding 95 persons seated; Minimum of twelve persons for a private room
- Private Party Contact: Management 2025890060x
A word from Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
Bobby Van's Steakhouse has been named Top Steakhouse in the Washington Magazine and best Porterhouse in DC in the Washingtonian. Along with our Prime, dry-aged beef, we offer the freshest seafood and wonderful specials. Our wine list is a best of Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (104)great for outdoor dining (68)romantic (60)fit for foodies (52)notable wine list (47)good for groups (42)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (16)late-night find (15)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Popular, comfortable and wellOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/10/2008Popular, comfortable and well run. The food is good, the service is excellent. A very enjoyable and reliable experience.Special Features:
- Service was terrible. WaitstaffOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2008Service was terrible. Waitstaff never asked how our food was. We had to ask for steak knives. Water was never refilled unless we asked. The menu prices reflect a top notch steakhouse but the service, attitude of the waitstaff and quality of the food are anything but.
- The waiters were extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/5/2008The waiters were extremely nice to my son, who was graduating high school that day. Several of them congratulated him. Even though we had an early (11:45 a.m.) reservation, we had to wait a really long time for our food (which was okay, because we booked well in advance of the ceremony, but otherwise could have been a disaster).Special Features:
- Very good food and service.AldinedhereDined on 5/31/2008Very good food and service. I've visited Bobby Van's in Manhattan, which I found to have a little better food, but service staff there seemed less attentive than in DC.Special Features:
- Always an outstanding meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2008Always an outstanding meal. While it can get crowded, amazed that people aren't lining up more. Great food, reasonably priced, nice setting, nice bar, outdoor seating.....Special Features:
- I understand that Bobby Van'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2008I understand that Bobby Van's is known for their steak but I was not impressed at all.
- The food was pretty good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2008The food was pretty good, the service was terrible !
- I always think of Bobby Van'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/23/2008I always think of Bobby Van's as a great spot for a business lunch. It's typically quiet and you can enjoy a great meal. It's pricey but overall a good value as the food is tasty and the atmosphere nice. There is almost certainly something on the menu for everyone. On this particular visit my group was seated next to a larger table of 6 that were very loud. Made for a difficult environment to have a conversation.Special Features:
- I had a great lunch but theOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/21/2008I had a great lunch but the host had trouble finding my reservation owing to my hyphenated name.Special Features:
- We visited for my son's universityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/18/2008We visited for my son's university graduation and were very pleased. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Food was less impressive thanNYCvisitorVIPDined on 5/17/2008Food was less impressive than Bobby Van's in New York. Steak was overcooked. I ordered a $200+ bottle of wine. I was first presented with a glass that was not suitable for a cabernet. I was disappointed. I love NY!Special Features:
- We found the food and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2008We found the food and the service to be outstanding. It was a great evening and we certyainly will be back. ThanksSpecial Features:
- We had a very pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2008We had a very pleasant experience and a delicious dinner. We would return and recommend it to our friends.Special Features:
- The maitre'd welcomed us andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/14/2008The maitre'd welcomed us and made us feel at ease. However, our waiter was indifferent/unattentive. He rudely dropped the sugar/sweetener container on our table. For dessert, we asked our waiter if we could have fresh berries - the immediate reply -no berries. We ordered warm apple cake(caramel sauce on the side). Our dessert arrived cold and felt that it came straight from the fridge(the caramel sauce was on the side). When we complained, our dessert was replaced by a warm cake with the caramel sauce spread all over the cake. As we were leaving, we saw fresh strawberries being served at an adjacent table. We complained to the maitre'd - he apologized and later called to offer more apologies and invited us to dine again at their restaurant.
- Extremely disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/13/2008Extremely disappointing. It's a chain and feels like one. Went for a work lunch. The waiter was rude and didn't get my order right. I ordered a steak salad without onions. He asked how I wanted the steak cooked. I said medium rare. The salad was $15. When it came, it seemed a bit more like an appetizer than entree - there was plenty of lettuce, but only 4 small strips of "steak" which looked like it had been left over - there's no way it was prepared for the salad as I was led to believe. Plus, there was very little blue cheese and way too much dressing. And there were onions which was annoying. Overall, the food was way too expensive and not worth it. My co-workers were similarly disappointed. Avoid this place.
- Loved it, as usual. We hadneptunegurlDined on 5/13/2008Loved it, as usual. We had a birthday lunch outside and it could not have been more perfect. Thanks!Special Features:
- I am aware that this is aOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2008I am aware that this is a Steakhouse and I am sure the steaks are probably awesome; however, the crab cakes were absolutely horrible and very disappointing for that price. I did, however, enjoy the sides (mashed potatoes, spinach and fried zucchini) and our server, Jenna, was absolutely wonderful and very friendly.
- The service began with theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2008The service began with the Valet attendants. They were top notch. We were then shown to our table. Nice location. We had a 10 month old, but that was not a problem for us, the staff nor the other guests. The lamb chops were spectacular. The scallops and shrimp was spectacular. The filet mignon was spectacular and cooked to perfection. One of the guests ordered the surf and turf. The filet mignon was very good, however, she had to send the lobster back because it was very, very dry. The substitute scallops were great. I would suggest sprucing up the place a bit. The floors show the wear of 30 plus years; a good stripping of the wood and buff job would add a lot. Also, brighten up the ladies room and add a baby changing tableSpecial Features:
- Clearly one of the best restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/2008Clearly one of the best restaurants in town. Great steaks. Been there for everything for business dinners, nice dinner out with my wife and brought my kids there for lunch. Bar and outdoor seating terrific. Staff is very friendly and remembers their repeat customers.Special Features:
- After being seated we wereSteakloverDined on 4/25/2008After being seated we were given bread and only received service after I found the host after waiting for 20 minutes. For the price, the food was mediocre at best. The jumbo shrimp cocktail was barely average. The steaks were decent, but slightly overcooked. When the meal was complete we were not even offered a desert menu and had to ask for it. We definately felt rushed to leave, and we will definately not rush to return. In short save your time and take your buisiness elsewhere.
- The food was terrible (steakOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2008The food was terrible (steak was excessively fatty...and yeah I know Prime beef has more fat but this was way beyond reasonable, the fried calimari wasn't crisp, instead it was soggy) we waited forever for our food and this place has absolutely no ambiance. Probably a good place to watch the Superbowl or NBA playoffs where rowdiness is expected. I really felt like I wasted $120. Dont' see myself coming there again, unless it's for a drink at the bar, but not dining.Special Features:
- Having lunch out on theirOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/25/2008Having lunch out on their street-side patio is a delight. Salads, burgers, and crabcakes all excellent -- and that's for a steakhouse.Special Features:
- I appreciate the consistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/25/2008I appreciate the consistency at Bobby Van's. The food is always good and the service is always excellent. I go regularly for lunch and dinner and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Great service, excellent foodCtwoDined on 4/23/2008Great service, excellent food and the recommendations were accurate rather than a sales pitch for whatever the chef wanted to move. Specials were indeed special.Special Features:
- Greeting at door was so-so.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/21/2008Greeting at door was so-so. Rainy day. Man at podium pointed to a place to deposit wet umbrella. Didn't offer to take coats, which we schlepped to our table. He barely greeted us, leading us to an OK table near the back of the restaurant. Got the distinct impression throughout the experience that had we been two men executives, not two women executives, we would have been treated differently. This was quite surprising to me since my company has had two mid-sized dinners at this location, spending quite a bit of money. The report from my boss (male) is that the service was extremely friendly.Special Features:
- Great service with outstandingCtwoDined on 4/21/2008Great service with outstanding specials and recommendations.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2008The food and service were very good. My husband commented that his steak was so tender, he really didn't need a steak knife. We both enjoyed our evening at the restaurant and the meal!Special Features:
- Had the sirloin steak withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/16/2008Had the sirloin steak with roquefort sauce, scallops and the crab and lobster starter. The starter was outstanding. The scallops were good. The roquefort sauce on the sirloin was crazy good...but unfortunately was just covering a tough piece of meat. It may have just been our cut, but the server had recommended it. On the plus side, they did take it back and remove it from our bill. On the negative side, our server abandoned us for another table mid-service. The person who completed our service (who also returned the steak) was very good, but we missed the continuity from the first server. If the new server had simply said, "I'm taking over for XXX" that would have solved it, but there was no "hand-off".
- The food was great! The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/15/2008The food was great! The service was exceptional! It was my wife's birthday and they made it special.Special Features:
- Bobby Van's is a classic steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/14/2008Bobby Van's is a classic steakhouse and it really delivers. The steaks here were fantastic as were the crabcakes, which were ordered by the one non-red-meat-eating diner. And the service was superb, very attentive, but not at all pretentious. We sat next to a group of teamsters spending a lot of union dues on drinks and dining, so the atmosphere was a little raucus. Overall, a great experience, however.
- We had a group of six. AfterhitnitVIPDined on 4/14/2008We had a group of six. After the first hour, it was impossible to talk to people across the table because of the noise. Our waiter was slow to take our order and refill drinks. Not the usual attention I've observed in the past, especially on a Monday night. However, the food was excellent as always.
- We (party of 4) arrived atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2008We (party of 4) arrived at the restaurant at 8:30 PM and did not get our food until 9:55PM. The waiter was not attentive and the food was not hot and very bland. It was not the dining experience we expected. Very disappointed!
- It took over an hour to getOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2008It took over an hour to get a salad. The waiters walked past my empty water glass until I finally had to stop one to get it filled... they never came back and refilled it. We had filet and it was BONE DRY. It took over an hour and a half to get it and it was like eating shoe leather. I did not like the "hash browns" and the creamed spinich tasted like it had soap in it. People that came in over 30 minutes after us were served the EXACT same meal before we were. I was extremely diasppointed with the food, the service and the whole experience.
- We were very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2008We were very disappointed with the service. Our server, Aaron, was very disinterested in us. It seemed as though he wanted us to leave. I brought this to the attention of the manager and he didn't seem to care either. There was no attempt to appologize. We asked for our check from the manager after telling of our dissatisfaction and he sent another sevrer to our table with the bill and disappeared. The food was good but the attitude of the staff made for an unpleasent experience.
- Although expensive, this isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/28/2008Although expensive, this is a great place to go for steak. The desserts were also excellent. Service was attentive, but waiters did not hover.
- We were very let-down by thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/28/2008We were very let-down by this establishment. From the website, it appeared to be one of the best steakhouses in the Downtown DC area. Although the service from our waiter was great, everything else was a disappointment. The food quality was poor and not prepared as ordered (well-done). I had the charge for my steak removed from the bill by the manager because it was unacceptable. We do not recommend this restaraunt-go to Morton's instead!
- Overall very disappointing,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2008Overall very disappointing, from the uncomfortable seating to slow service and cold bread. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- solid choice for businessOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/26/2008solid choice for business lunch consistent food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Actually ended up at BobbyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/25/2008Actually ended up at Bobby Van's Grill by mistake, but had a great dinner for two before the theater. Easy early curtain spot just 20 minutes from Kennedy Center. Good, varied menu. Something for every taste, not just steak, although the steak was excellent.Special Features:
- I was appalled at the awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2008I was appalled at the awful quality of the food. this place has a great reputation and I took out of town guests there, from Texas, no less. it was absolutly the worst steak I've ever put in my mouth. We did not complain and now I'm wondering if that was the right thing to do. The wines by the bottle were exhorbitant as well.