Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
809 15th St., NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: 2025890060x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Three private dining areas; three that can open up into one large room holding 95 persons seated; Minimum of twelve persons for a private room
- Private Party Contact: Management 2025890060x
A word from Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC
Bobby Van's Steakhouse has been named Top Steakhouse in the Washington Magazine and best Porterhouse in DC in the Washingtonian. Along with our Prime, dry-aged beef, we offer the freshest seafood and wonderful specials. Our wine list is a best of Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (87)great for outdoor dining (58)romantic (52)great for lunch (42)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (38)notable wine list (34)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (15)great for brunch (14)hot spot (11)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Great Service!ConnecticutFoodieDined on 5/27/2014Food was great! I love Bobby Van but, Cajun Ribeye went from $42 to $55 OuchSpecial Features:
- The following 1308 reviews are from the Bobby Van's Steakhouse - DC reviews archive.
- Good foodFoodie4uDined on 5/24/2014Good steak and service was friendly and on top of things. Evening outside was nice to people watch and have a conversation. Excellent wine list too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Van'sMarieDined on 5/24/2014This review is based on our 2nd visit. We had a 5pm reservation. The restaurant was quiet, the food was delicious and the service was excellent! Bobby Van's is now one of our to-go places prior to an evening show.
- Awesome b-day!InMyOpinionDined on 5/23/2014The two-seater table was perfect for my b-day! Tuopo suggested the cold, seafood trio (shrimp, lobster tail, lump crab meat). I'm not much of a cold seafood person; but, was delicious! Gotta love the Riesling AND the sweet chili tossed calamari...OH YEAAAAAAH! Wrap up that delicious meal with chocolate mousse mixed with pineapple INSIDE A CHOCOLATE TEACUP! Are you kidding me...LOVED IT!Special Features:
- 1st DC visit bonus-great place!Table4TwoDined on 5/22/2014Amazing experience from the moment we arrived. Started with wine & a delicious calamari appetizer, followed by salads, two mouthwatering seafood main courses (I said at least 3 times it was the richest of flavor meals I'd ever eaten out), and ended with a sweet chocolate dessert. Portions were generous, servers were kind & attentive. A very warm & classy ambiance. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HouramykVIPDined on 5/22/2014We love Bobby Van's because they give awesome wine pours and have good wines by the glass. The bartenders are so friendly and give great service. The bar is very energetic and great people watching. The Cowboy Ribeye is just AWESOME! Big enough to share and so tasty. This is a fun after work spot and conveniently located too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2014Our group selects a restaurant each month to visit. Bobby Van's is a great place for dinner. Service was exquisite. Order was perfect and correct. I would recommend this dining experience to all who enjoy great service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food-fine dining-Lovemesomefood33VIPDined on 5/20/2014My wife and I have enjoyed Bobby Vans since moving to the area 5 years ago. The wine list is impressive, the service is excellent and the food is spot on. We took an out of town guest and they were quite impressed with the food and the service!!!Special Features:
- Graduation CelebrationdcdinnerDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed our special occasion with an extended family group. Table was ready when we arrived and food and service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service to matchDCEaterDined on 5/13/2014This place gets it right on a lot of levels - the food is excellent and the service is equally as good. It is a fancy steakhouse, so it is not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Perfect steak with delicious sides. Escargot were amazing. Service was spot on - attentive but not pushy or overly present. They also boast a nice bar menu if you want a the same quality food in small quantities and cheaper prices. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- AWESOME!!!!dianaDined on 5/12/2014I do not usually order steak when we go out because my husband does such a good job on the BBQ. My son recommended Bobby Van's for my husband's birthday, it was great. I will not tell my husband this but the steak was as good as his:) I have already recommended Bobby Van's to friends, thank you for a great evening out.Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary Celebration!DeliciousDined on 5/9/2014The evening began with being seated at a nice booth,. at our request in what appeared to be a very quiet area. The waiter gave us complimentary glasses of champagne and congratulated us on our anniversary (we noted this occasion in our reservation). The food was fabulous and the wait staff attentive, without being intrusive. The manager came by to wish us a happy anniversary as well and to check on us to make sure everything was going well. The only negative thing was a very loud patron several tables over sitting with a group of 6 - the woman had a voice like a loud siren and it grated on our nerves and interrupted our quiet conversation constantly while we ate. We didn't mention this to wait staff as didn't know what they could do.Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful!!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/6/2014I met a friend at Bobby Van's for dinner because it was close to where she worked. I was looking forward to her company -- never imagined that the food would be so good. I had the scallops. These were huge and excellently prepared. The service was impeccable and we were not rushed so that we could visit. It was an amazing experience and I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- satisfied againCharlieDined on 5/2/2014This was our third time back and it was better than ever. Filet was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've had betterKrystynaDined on 5/2/2014While the service was very good and friendly, I've had better porterhouses for two: once at Ruth's Chris and once at Roast in Detroit. It was cooked the way we liked it but it just didn't have much flavor. I don't plan on going back when I'm in DC.Special Features:
- I've had betterfoodieDined on 5/2/2014For the price of our porterhouse I would have at least expected a juicy savory, melt in your mouth steak. It was bland. No seasoning what so ever. This place does not compete with the J.Gillerts, Charlie Palmer or Morton's. I've had better steak at outback frankly. Calamari was ok, but loaded with a large amount of unnecessary parmesan cheese and a bit dry.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceJakeDined on 5/2/2014The service was fine, but I expected much better steak from such an expenseive steakhouse. It wasn't a bad experience overall, but for the money, I'd choose someplace else next time.
- BirthdaySpeedyDined on 4/30/2014We went for my birthday and was spectacular maybe I should have said it was my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good value for the price paidOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014My husband wanted to go to a fancy steakhouse for his birthday dinner. We've never been to a "real" stakehouse before, so upon reading the good reviews I figured we would try Bobby Van's. What initially struck me was the casual atmosphere - I felt overdressed. Yes there were white tablecloths and a good wine list; and the staff were incredibly gracious. However, the music was more pop than subtle jazz or something a little more cultured. The wine list was quite impressive and we were very happy with that. However our steaks were just "Meh." They had no real flavor, and were a bit dry/chewy. I have had better steaks at regular American cuisine places. For the price of a full on steak-house, I was really disappointed; but now we know.Special Features:
- PatronHighlightDined on 4/25/2014Always a favorite restaurant of mine-consistently great food/great value and IMPECCABLE service.....service was especially good this visit. I never fail to visit Bobby V's ,every chance I get to visit.Special Features:
- Not my best experience hereCPAfoodieVIPDined on 4/24/2014We were seated very close to the bar, which was loud and not condusive for a business dinner. In hindsight, I should have asked to be re-seated. The service was sub-par. We waited a good 10 minutes before we were even acknowledged. The waiter brought us water and ran away before we could place a cocktail order. Also, the waiter did not seem knowledgeable and barely spoke English which did not help. He did not know what a "screwdriver" was, which seems odd. As usual, the food was fine but the sub-par service was a big detracter.
- What a waste!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014Our server was lazy. To busy on his phone. We had to ask for our bread. We asked for our salad to be spilt between my husband an I. He didn't do that. We sent it back, asked another server to do that. We had to ask for another drink. He had a poor attitude. Very rude. He was hiding in the front. Never again. Food was just ok. Not even hot.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014Great porterhouse air-dried steak; excellent service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nan Hubergoddess27VIPDined on 4/18/2014Bobby Van's offers consistently great service and food.Special Features:
- Always Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2014The title says it all!!! Every aspect of the dinning experience was more than worth it.Special Features:
- First timerIndoDined on 4/16/2014Went out on a date night with my hubby and wanted to try something new. In the mood for steak we decided to try Bobby Vans. It was the best idea because from the service, to getting our food exceptionally fast and hot, to our porterhouse for two and beranaise sauce it is definitely a new favorite place to eat. Very relaxing vibe good for date night or even to take your kids for a nice dinner. All around great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the GreatestBobsExperiencesDined on 4/16/2014Waiter delivered the wrong entree after a one hour wait in a not very busy place on a Wednesday 7:00 reservation. I AND MY WIFE loved the French onion soup. Our steaks were a very generous cut,she had the filet and I ended up with a Cajun style bribery which I didn't order, I specifically ordered a plain ribeye and did not like the Cajun style I received. Oh well....
- Huge steaksLaniDined on 4/16/2014It being a steakhouse, my mouth was watering for a tasty steak, but all but one of the steaks on the menu were at least 14 oz. I had a good appetite but 14 oz. of steak is obscene, not to mention unhealthy. I was left with the one choice of a smaller filet, and even that was too much to eat. Unfortunately it wasn't seasoned at all; a rub would have been nice. The salads are big too, and very good -- healthier for you than beef. Vegetables to accompany an entree are a la carte. Service was very good; just the right level of attention. There are tables in the bar area, but it's very noisy there. If you want to hear and be heard at your table, ask to be seated in the other areas.Special Features:
- Not what expectedXRDmanVIPDined on 4/15/2014I was expecting a steakhouse comparable to Morton's and Ruth Chris. The Porterhouse was the perfect temperature but ruined by the charred taste. That is all I could taste. There was no flavor to it at all and was not tender. The mashed potatoes felt that came from a box nothing special about those. The price can't justify the meat quality and charred taste. Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- QualityHappyDinerDined on 4/10/2014Bobby Vans is always consistently exceptional with their service and food. They never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service but disappointing fooLouiseVIPDined on 4/5/2014We had the porterhouse for two and it was tough and flavorless - in addition, the portion sizes are obscene. We ate very little of our dinner and made a point to ask if they donate leftovers, which they assured us they do. The oysters Rockefeller were good and the drinks were good - service was really wonderful. But at $100. a person we expected to be wowed by the food.Special Features:
- Not just a great steak house.!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/1/2014My wife and I had just concluded a purchase at the Tiny Jewel Box so we decided to celebrate with dinner at Bobby Van's...we chose main meals other than steak and found both to be excellently prepared and presented. The service was outstanding. Definitely a delicious dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not As Good As UsualMikeVIPDined on 3/31/2014We got there on the early side and two different waiters attempted to serve us, each not knowing what the other was doing. The fried zuccini was excellent. We had is as an appetizer instead of a side. The scallops were boring...moist and tender...but boring.
- Service was not up to theirDonGDined on 3/31/2014Service was not up to their usual high standard. However, the steaks were!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining DelightAngieDined on 3/30/2014This was my first time dining at Bobby Vann's and I was very pleased with my dining experience. The service was impeccable and the food was superb. My nephew, sister and I had a wonderful time and I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and very friendly,BirthdayDined on 3/29/2014Amazing food and very friendly, attentive service. Made my wife's special day a fabulous memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningHungryDined on 3/29/2014An enjoyable evening. Good food, service and pleasant atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go there againkennyavaVIPDined on 3/28/2014My wife and I try not to eat too much. We can't eat much any ways. When we go to steakhouses, we usually order a set (i.e an appetizer, a salad, a steak and maybe two sides) and split it. We still manage to bring home half the steak and some sides. I am always a little uncomfortable doing this for some reason and some servers seem a little annoyed. Of course, I understand. Our server at Bobby Van's was none of that. He was happy to take care of us and I am glad. We did order a good bottle of wine and a dessert. Hopefully, that makes up some of it. When the portions are so huge and the prices accordingly, I think this is the strategy one has to take to enjoy a good steak every now and then. Hopefully, restaurants would take note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakbrianDined on 3/28/2014My fiancee and I split the Porterhouse with asparagus, mashed potatoes, and a bottle of wine. The bread and butter are fantastic, the steak was cooked exactly medium rare as requested. Good potatoes and asparagus was fresh, bright green and well-cooked.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2014The food was excellent and brought no complaints from our group. However, our water glasses were rarely refilled, and we were kept waiting for our bill a significant amount of time after our plates had been cleared.Special Features: